* Liverpool 2023-2024 Thread *
69,544 Views | 1490 Replies
hoosierAG
5:26p, 8/7/23
In reply to jeffk
That was slick/sick.
jeffk
6:22p, 8/8/23
Lavia didn't dress for the Southampton match today. Deal might be getting close?
YNWA.2013
10:37p, 8/8/23
In reply to jeffk
Kid may end up being good, may not. Has lots of potential. But that's what he is at the moment, just potential. He's played one season in the top flight and is still only 19. This would have been a decent signing a few weeks ago, but losing Henderson and Fabinho changes the equation. We need someone who can come in and play straight away. All the other teams around us in the top 4/5 have spent money in the last few windows. And FSG continue to drag their feet and try to moneyball their way through another season. Klopp has largely sheltered FSG's shortcomings, especially since 2020. But at some point (could see evidence of it last season), the dam is gonna break. And Liverpool will be SOL and become a mid-table team when Klopp does decide to leave. We have a generational manager who has not been given the resources he needs to compete. Any injuries in the midfield and I'm not sure where Klopp can turn to for solutions. We currently do not have a DM. Arguably one of the more important positions in the modern game. See every club spending big here (Rodri at City, Casemiro at United, Rice at Arsenal, Enzo at Chelsea). Meanwhile we're penny pinching for a teenager from a relegated club. Bellingham should not have been out of reach for a club like Liverpool. Not saying he is the answer for DM but FSG need to pony up some cash or sell the club already.
-FTA c/o 2013
jeffk
7:04a, 8/10/23
In reply to YNWA.2013
You're not wrong. Also that's pretty much LFC fiscal/transfer policy in a nutshell. We're rarely if ever going to swing the big financial stick and pay top dollar for a player. There's been a couple of recent exceptions, but we're not a big splash spending club traditionally. It can absolutely be frustrating and I have no idea how Klopp manages his own sanity balancing trophy expectations with the unwillingness to get the top tier players you need to largely do that; especially when the needs are as critical as SIGN A HOLDING MID.

Relatedly, Lavia might be headed to Chelsea and we've inquired about Caiciedo.
YNWA.2013
7:20a, 8/10/23
In reply to jeffk
But this is what boggles my mind. We are rumoured to have bid between 40 and 45 GBP for Lavia. Southampton are holding out for 50 (which is well within their right). Now Chelsea have come in for 48. And instead of negotiating our way into a better deal than Chelsea are offering, we're like "No thanks, we'll now bid 85-90 for Caicedo" when 100 for the generational talent of Bellingham was too much?!

I've never been involved in transfer dealings, but it seems to me that the best clubs at transfers act fast, move decisively, and think clearly. There's a vision and a plan and then a reputation is developed. Something we used to do so well with Micheal Edwards. Now, we're caught between two minds (maybe more). Do we want the young potential or the experienced player? Do we want to be calculated and spend less than 50 or are we splashing the cash and making a statement signing?
-FTA c/o 2013
eiggA2002
8:44a, 8/10/23
Yep, we're in the FAFO stage right now. The Lavia situation is embarrassing. The sense of urgency and the pace at which they are doing this is laughable. I'm no sporting director, but how does it take 2-3 days to make an additional bid....that's only $2MM higher. When Carra is calling them out, you know it's bad.
hoosierAG
10:21a, 8/10/23
Yep, on all of the above posts. Concerning time if you are a Liverpool supporter. There are far reaching repercussions for this besides the obvious immediate impact of having a bare minimum and functional midfield (which is just insane by itself). Not that this is anything new with them. But the ability to attract/keep players and managers, especially in this new Saudi environment, is dropping quickly and much more a concern IMO.
The potential for a steep falloff in the future is really, really high IMO. Now who really knows of course, but the ingredients are there in this environment if you want move forward and remain at the top of the table.
jeffk
12:22p, 8/10/23
In reply to YNWA.2013
Oh, agree about the Lavia thing. I was mainly thinking of the Bellingham thing in writing out my response.
jeffk
2:27p, 8/10/23
Is it purple? Is it blue?

YNWA.2013
2:38p, 8/10/23
In reply to jeffk
Purple
-FTA c/o 2013
jeffk
2:51p, 8/10/23
In reply to YNWA.2013
Last time we wore purple was a pretty fun season.
YNWA.2013
2:56p, 8/10/23
In reply to jeffk

Still one of my favorite away kits (maybe the best one of the NB era?)
-FTA c/o 2013
jeffk
3:11p, 8/10/23
In reply to YNWA.2013
I loved those orange third kits and the minty green NB kits too. Honestly, once they hit their stride, all the NB kits were pretty clutch.
ChipFTAC01
3:29p, 8/10/23
I love the gold pin stripe ones from 19-20 and the collared ones from the year before but I'm a sucker for a collared football shirt. I desperately want a 06-07 long sleeve Crouchy shirt.
jeffk
7:00p, 8/10/23
jeffk
7:26p, 8/10/23
So much for everything I said about not being a big spending club.

eiggA2002
7:42p, 8/10/23
They've done it again! Wow! Massive. Ok we can calm down….for a minute lol.

Saw someone say that Mbappe was the key. We were on Tchouameni bc RM would need to sell. Once he said no to Real Madrid it was all in on Caicedo. Could be completely false but kinda makes sense especially with how we slow rolled Lavia.
YNWA.2013
7:51p, 8/10/23
In reply to jeffk
Our club is a joke. Bellingham was out of reach at 103M but for Caicedo, yeah let's drop 110M
-FTA c/o 2013
jeffk
7:57p, 8/10/23
In reply to YNWA.2013
A lot has happened since Bellingham. This DM signing was do or die for us.
YNWA.2013
8:00p, 8/10/23
In reply to jeffk
I know, I know. The unexpected sales of Hendo and Fabinho changed the situation. But man, I'd rather have spent on Bellingham. I think he's a "can't miss" player who could be in our midfield for the next dozen years or so. I hope Caicedo has more Wijnaldum in him than Keita
-FTA c/o 2013
jeffk
8:05p, 8/10/23
In reply to YNWA.2013
I'm right there with you. I wanted Jude real bad.
Unemployed
8:13p, 8/10/23
In reply to YNWA.2013
YNWA.2013 said:

Our club is a joke. Bellingham was out of reach at 103M but for Caicedo, yeah let's drop 110M
Or Bellingham told Liverpool he didn't want to come and Liverpool wanted to save face by saying that he was too expensive.
jeffk
8:23p, 8/10/23
In reply to Unemployed
He only had eyes for Madrid.
wangus12
8:42p, 8/10/23
In reply to jeffk
Yeah I don't think anyone in England had a shot for JB
eiggA2002
9:45p, 8/10/23
Agreed. It wasn't the fee, it was the total package. $400K per week, bonuses, agent fees, etc were taking the total to over $300M. That turned everyone off. Caicedo will be about half that.
AG@RICE
11:27p, 8/10/23
That's exactly what we needed.

Brighton were the team that convinced me that our midfielders were too old. They dominated us in the middle of the park. If you would have asked me who I wanted to rebuild our midfield I would have said Mac and Caicedo. Can't believe we got both.

Fee was massive for Caicedo, but what do I care...it's not my money. He is a win now acquisition instead of Lavia that still needs time to develop.

Bellingham is incredible, but he can't play 6. He would have needed a Caicedo behind him. We definitely didn't have money for both. Mac and szobo were way cheaper and bring great quality and energy to the team.

I'd really like one more CB, but I doubt there is any money left.

Ready for the season to start.
AG@RICE
11:28p, 8/10/23
In reply to YNWA.2013
I'm hoping he replicates peak Ngolo Kante.
YNWA.2013
7:01a, 8/11/23
In reply to AG@RICE
What is happening?!?

-FTA c/o 2013
jeffk
7:20a, 8/11/23
In reply to YNWA.2013
Very weird. Brighton have agreed to the deal. Seems like the player could/should have disclosed his preference in initial conversations.
wangus12
7:29a, 8/11/23
In reply to jeffk
Caicedo seems like a major pain in the ass. Earlier this year, he only wanted to join Arsenal. He tried to hold out in January to force a move.
joemeister
7:39a, 8/11/23
99% likely that he has a change of heart if Liverpool bring their wage packet in line with whatever Chelsea was offering him.
YNWA.2013
7:57a, 8/11/23
In reply to joemeister
Screw that. Spend the 100M elsewhere. Get a 4 year solution for DM in Kimmich/Goretzka. Then go after another MF in Gravenberch, Lavia, Thuram, etc. And see if there's a deal to be made for a defender (Levi Colwill seems out of reach now, but maybe there's another Dutch defender Klopp is currently fond of)
-FTA c/o 2013
AG@RICE
8:44a, 8/11/23
As I was saying, Lavia is exactly the kind of player we need....
gougler08
11:07a, 8/11/23
In reply to wangus12
wangus12 said:

Caicedo seems like a major pain in the ass. Earlier this year, he only wanted to join Arsenal. He tried to hold out in January to force a move.
Yeah this may be a blessing for you guys
akm91
11:18a, 8/11/23
Maybe go for Adams? Good defensive option off the bench
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 5 of 43
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >