Unemployed
12:55p, 8/27/23
In reply to AG@RICE
AG@RICE said:

Nike won't be happy with that outfit.
jeffk
1:36p, 8/27/23
In reply to Unemployed
Shoe and apparel deals are separate. Nike can suck it.
ChipFTAC01
2:13p, 8/27/23
Was delayed starting waiting for my wife to get home. When I turned it on it was the 84th and 1-1. Made my stress level a little easier knowing they were going to tie it up. What a finish.
Unemployed
2:21p, 8/27/23
In reply to jeffk
jeffk said:

RossG_2
5:45p, 8/27/23
I work with a guy who has season tickets to Newcastle. I'll let him bring that one up on his own if he wants.
jeffk
8:51a, 8/28/23
Unemployed
8:57a, 8/28/23
Hope it's not true but you never know.

YNWA.2013
9:23a, 8/28/23
In reply to Unemployed
No thanks.
-FTA c/o 2013
ChipFTAC01
9:37a, 8/28/23
Carra was on Sky last night and his point was basically, having $150MM with days left in the transfer window doesn't do anyone any good if you can't spend it.
jeffk
9:40a, 8/28/23
The only thing I could get behind is coming to some sort of agreement to sell him on in the winter or next summer. We're basically knee-capping our season if we send him out right now. There's no way we could find a replacement on such short notice.
AG@RICE
10:13a, 8/28/23
We thought we got a steal for Fabinho until we realized a younger replacement would cost 20 to 80 million more than what we paid for him.

You aren't finding anyone near as good as Mo Salah for a 100 million. He is literally one of the best footballers on the planet and a Liverpool legend.

The pass from Mo to set up Darwins game winner was worth 100 million on its own.

They need to tell SA to go **** themselves. No early agreements, no promises to talk later, no winks or handshakes...straight up: "go **** yourselves".
OregonAggie
10:23a, 8/28/23
I think $150M is the bottom dollar. Apparently this offer had incentives in it that would be hard to hit…to hell with that.

I agree that getting this money this late in the window hurts us but I would expect whatever is offered later would be less since his contract deadline would be closer.

Those *******s should've tried for this move in June/July. I say let him go it they up the bid significantly with more guaranteed money. Would suck for him to leave but we could make a splash in January and also next summer with that money.
eiggA2002
1:05p, 8/28/23
I'm still horse from yesterday. Scared the whole house when that 2nd Darwin goal went in!

$100M is not enough. It's not going to happen, but $150M up front minimum.

I think we can do some good things this year even if we don't sign anyone. That still boggles my mind that we will be all the way down to the wire IF we sign anyone. It's Top 5 for CL now. Those 5 spots are wide open based on what I've seen so far.
KCup17
4:09p, 8/28/23
Props to y'all on the smash and grab yesterday. Really thought we were going to make a statement. Sadly we have room to grow. Howes next biggest hurdle is consistency in wins against big 6 sides. Feels like we drop points from winning positions a lot against them. Obviously struggle against Liverpool regardless of who our manager is.

Anyways y'all have an exciting attack that can keep y'all in any game. Even steal some points. Best of luck the rest of the way.
jeffk
4:16p, 8/28/23
YNWA.2013
7:43a, 8/29/23
Transfer window closes on Friday and I think the consensus is we need another midfielder and a defender in an ideal world. If I am Jorg Schmadtke, I am hijacking the Pavard to Inter deal that Fabrizio Romano is tweeting is close to the final stages. At 30M Euros, that is a good deal for a 27 year old versatile World Cup winning defender. Can play CB and RB which we know Klopp loves. In midfield, I still think Gravenberch is the way to go. With Caicedo, Lavia, Rice, Tonali at new clubs and Tchouameni seemingly out of reach, this is who I think is our best bet and fits in the Klopp mold.

As great of a result as Newcastle was, it shows how vulnerable we can be. We're potentially playing the next 2-3 games with Gomez and Matip at CB with a 20 year old Quansah as the only other CB. Gomez and Matip are both injury prone and if Konate has an extended stay on the sidelines, we could be in trouble.

Endo looks slow. Gonna give him the benefit of the doubt as he is acclimating to a new league, new country, etc and deserves time to come up to speed but another CM to challenge would add to our depth and set us up nicely for a long season. (Good to see Bajcetic made the bench last time out and I hope he is fully back soon as he is a very promising youngster).

We've lost ~8 first teamers this summer and as good as Szobozlai and Mac Allister have looked, we need another signing or two to make this window a success and, more importantly, have the depth to go toe-to-toe with City.

YNWA
-FTA c/o 2013
OregonAggie
8:41a, 8/29/23
In reply to YNWA.2013
YNWA.2013 said:

Transfer window closes on Friday and I think the consensus is we need another midfielder and a defender in an ideal world. If I am Jorg Schmadtke, I am hijacking the Pavard to Inter deal that Fabrizio Romano is tweeting is close to the final stages. At 30M Euros, that is a good deal for a 27 year old versatile World Cup winning defender. Can play CB and RB which we know Klopp loves. In midfield, I still think Gravenberch is the way to go. With Caicedo, Lavia, Rice, Tonali at new clubs and Tchouameni seemingly out of reach, this is who I think is our best bet and fits in the Klopp mold.

As great of a result as Newcastle was, it shows how vulnerable we can be. We're potentially playing the next 2-3 games with Gomez and Matip at CB with a 20 year old Quansah as the only other CB. Gomez and Matip are both injury prone and if Konate has an extended stay on the sidelines, we could be in trouble.

Endo looks slow. Gonna give him the benefit of the doubt as he is acclimating to a new league, new country, etc and deserves time to come up to speed but another CM to challenge would add to our depth and set us up nicely for a long season. (Good to see Bajcetic made the bench last time out and I hope he is fully back soon as he is a very promising youngster).

We've lost ~8 first teamers this summer and as good as Szobozlai and Mac Allister have looked, we need another signing or two to make this window a success and, more importantly, have the depth to go toe-to-toe with City.

YNWA

I don't see how Nat Phillips isn't the guy after Gomez and Matip. He did well when we were forced to play him. I'd be pissed if I were him. Sell him or play him…

I'm not even sure who else they should go after but Gravenberch doesn't seem to actually be for sale. Maybe I'm wrong. We should've signed James Ward Prowse.
YNWA.2013
8:43a, 8/29/23
In reply to OregonAggie
I wanted JWP too. I think he will turn out to be the EPL signing of the season
-FTA c/o 2013
AG@RICE
8:50a, 8/29/23
JWP is the kind of player that will thrive in a mid-table team. He has some incredible skill, but he is too physically limited to meet the demands of a top team. At a place like West Ham he is Pirlo, at a place like Liverpool he is just Charlie Adam.
YNWA.2013
9:23a, 8/29/23
I disagree. I think he would thrive in a team that dominates possession. He is a great passer and distributor of the ball. Not comparing him to Coutinho but you could argue Coutinho is also "physically limited" and he thrived at Liverpool (before Barca fan disintegrated his confidence).
-FTA c/o 2013
AG@RICE
9:29a, 8/29/23
In reply to YNWA.2013
He can't carry the ball like Coutinho. His passing and distribution when unchallenged are fantastic, but I'm not sure he is nimble/quick/fast enough to play an advanced role for us.
YNWA.2013
9:54a, 8/29/23
In reply to AG@RICE
Agree to disagree? Moot point since he signed for West Ham anyways
-FTA c/o 2013
AG@RICE
10:38a, 8/29/23
In reply to YNWA.2013
I think we definitely agree that Endo looks a little slow for the job.

Doucoure rumors still floating.

YNWA.2013
7:03a, 8/31/23
25M GBP?! Deal!
-FTA c/o 2013
eiggA2002
12:53p, 8/31/23
Today is normally a day that we'd be on the edge of our seats awaiting our Champions League Group Stage draw, but alas we are fretting over Gravenberch and wondering if we're going to sign anyone. Oh how times have changed. Also LOL Newcastle.

*We've now agreed a fee for Gravenberch. He's en route to get medical per Paul Joyce.
jeffk
1:52p, 8/31/23
I'll take it.
AG@RICE
2:15p, 8/31/23
Assuming the transfer actually goes through, I think you can mark this down as a really good transfer window.

There were some ups and downs, but you can't really argue with the quality they added to the team. Maca, Szobo, and Gravenberch are all really talented young players with enormous potential. The Endo signing gives us stability and, more importantly, the freedom to experiment positionally/tactically with these gifted younger players.

I wish we could have gotten a defender to survive potential injuries, but I think (hope?) we can make it to the next transfer window.
OregonAggie
4:33p, 8/31/23
In reply to AG@RICE
AG@RICE said:

Assuming the transfer actually goes through, I think you can mark this down as a really good transfer window.

There were some ups and downs, but you can't really argue with the quality they added to the team. Maca, Szobo, and Gravenberch are all really talented young players with enormous potential. The Endo signing gives us stability and, more importantly, the freedom to experiment positionally/tactically with these gifted younger players.

I wish we could have gotten a defender to survive potential injuries, but I think (hope?) we can make it to the next transfer window.

Overall, I'm happy with the incoming players but we do need another CB. I think we need to use this year to see exactly what Bajetic is before signing a stud 6. If he looks too young after this year, then let's make a big signing next summer.
gougler08
4:41p, 8/31/23
I just got a company email and we have a new joiner to our group named Luis Suarez...so I of course thought of this thread
jeffk
4:55p, 8/31/23
In reply to gougler08
Watch your back!
YNWA.2013
6:36p, 8/31/23
In reply to jeffk
And your ear
-FTA c/o 2013
AG@RICE
8:58p, 8/31/23
And your 5 hole...

jeffk
6:41a, 9/1/23
Apparently the Europa League draw was this morning. Also we rejected another Saudi bid for Mo.

CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 9 of 43
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings