Messi to the MLS
15,050 Views | 232 Replies
texagbeliever
8:54a, 8/27/23
Messi clearly has FUN when he is playing soccer. CR7, Bale, Zlatan they are all serious and come off as arrogant (Bale less so then the other 2). Glad MLS got him.

Can't imagine being Miami teammates and hearing oh hey we are getting Alba, Messi & Busquets. I bet the intensity of everyone on that team jumped up 3-4 levels.
AgRyan04
9:05a, 8/27/23
In reply to texagbeliever
texagbeliever said:

Can't imagine being Miami teammates and hearing oh hey we are getting Alba, Messi & Busquets. I bet the intensity of everyone on that team jumped up 3-4 levels.

I mean, the Richmond players were pretty pumped when they got Zava
wangus12
9:38a, 8/27/23
In reply to texagbeliever
That's something I've always thought. Messi just looks so damn happy when he plays
Rudyjax
9:13p, 9/3/23
This LAFC/Inter Miami is all MLS hype.

Why this isn't on network tv is beyond me.
AgRyan04
9:16p, 9/3/23
In reply to Rudyjax
Because apple bought the rights for a gajllion dollars
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Aggie09Derek
9:19p, 9/3/23
Rudyjax
9:27p, 9/3/23
I feel Ike I'm watching Danielson call Alabama.

Holy **** Taylor. Are you on LAFC payroll?
Rudyjax
9:27p, 9/3/23
In reply to AgRyan04
AgRyan04 said:

Because apple bought the rights for a gajllion dollars

Oh I know. But they still put games on network tv.

Out in Left Field
11:45p, 9/3/23
Are Miami really going to go from last to playoffs??
Aggie09Derek
11:50p, 9/3/23
In reply to Out in Left Field
They are 14th out of 15 right now in the East
aTmAg
1:18p, 9/5/23
Messi is going to miss 3 games. It's going to be hard to make the playoffs.
fig96
10:02p, 9/5/23
In reply to aTmAg
It was already going to be really tough, they need somewhere between 20-25 points from their last 10 matches.
fig96
10:11p, 9/5/23
Really interesting read in The Athletic from Tom Bogert about how Miami was able to sign the players they did (and it still sounds a bit shady in places). The short version is that using some salary cap creativity (and somehow talking Alba into making more than 18m less per season than he did last year which sounds more than a little shady) and spending a whole lot of money on their U22 slots they have the equivalent of 7 DP's.

It's paywalled but a few key excerpts:

Quote:

Miami was able to easily open one DP spot this summer by buying down the salary budget charge of forward Leo Campana, which Messi slots into.

Quote:

Busquets was also added to the roster as a DP. To make that happen, Miami had to open another of its three allowed spots. It could have bought down Brazilian midfielder Gregore, but opted to save the allocation money that would have taken and instead agree a mutual contract termination with DP midfielder Rodolfo Pizarro. Pizarro was Miami's marquee signing ahead of its inaugural season in 2020 but failed to even come close to meeting those expectations. He had long been out of the team's plans, with a contract that would have expired at the end of the season.

Pizarro later signed with AEK Athens in Greece. League sources say Miami did not buy out Pizarro and the midfielder received no extra money, meaning the move was like a free transfer. Pizarro's motivation was to start fresh at a new club, reuniting with his former head coach Matias Almeyda in Greece. AEK signed Pizarro to a two-year contract with an option for a third year.

Sources at other clubs across the league have expressed skepticism Pizarro would walk away from the last four months of his contract for free, but the move wasn't without precedent in MLS. FC Dallas and DP forward Franco Jara agreed to a mutual contract termination this winter to allow the Argentine to sign with Atletico Belgrano as a free agent.

Quote:

The other Miami move that has drawn scrutiny from sources across the league is that of Alba. The Spain international left back is not a DP, meaning his contract cannot exceed $1.65 million. Alba, who captained Spain to the UEFA Nations League title this summer and reportedly made north of $20 million last season at Barcelona.

Quote:

MLS clubs are permitted up to three U-22 initiative signings on their roster. U-22 initiative slots are particularly valuable because transfer fees aren't calculated into the budget charge. Players signed under the U-22 initiative can make anything up to the maximum salary budget charge, but for players aged 20 and younger, they hit the budget at just $150,000, while players aged 21 to 22 in that calendar year hit the budget at $200,000. That allows teams to have highly-rated and expensive talent who can be sold later on to hit the budget at around what teams pay for a backup goalkeeper or veteran backup fullback.

Quote:

Miami used all three U-22 slots they could add with this summer in signing winger Facundo Farias ($5.5 million fee), center back Tomas Aviles (reported $7 million fee) and central midfielder Diego Gomez ($3 million fee).
Rudyjax
4:05p, 9/8/23
Texaggie7nine
4:10p, 9/8/23
In Miami for the Aggie game tomorrow. It's crazy how much he already has a hold of the market. Mesi jerseys everywhere, bars have a local beer in honor of him called GOAT, posters and adverts everywhere for him. Bumper stickers on cars everywhere. You almost wouldn't know Miami has any other sports.
7nine
deadbq03
6:18p, 9/8/23
In reply to Rudyjax
Wonder who will pay this time.
Rudyjax
6:42p, 9/8/23
In reply to deadbq03
deadbq03 said:

Wonder who will pay this time.

Would love to see greasy in the MLS.
AgRyan04
12:08p, 9/13/23
In reply to deadbq03
MLS will pay for Miami
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Texas velvet maestro
8:10a, 1/22/24
coming to the cotton bowl tonight. mulling it over.
Let the pre pre season begin.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/sports/fc-dallas-fans-root-for-their-team-but-are-excited-to-see-lionel-messi-from-inter-miami/3439486/
FTAG 2000
8:32p, 1/22/24
63 minutes on the pitch tonight against FCD. Not bad for a friendly.
Texas velvet maestro
10:05p, 1/22/24
a goal scorer's goal

Rudyjax
10:21p, 1/22/24
So cool to see my friend's kid play against Messi, Suarez, Busquets, and Alba.

He played for North Texas Liverpool FC when Suarez was with Liverpool.

Kid almost fouled Messi and fouled the crap out of Busquets.

Wish I had gone.

Out in Left Field
5:12p, 2/1/24
0-6 hmm?

CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 7 of 7
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >