USWNT and women's professional soccer thread

5,896 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Rudyjax
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Couldn't think of a great place to put the following news so I just made a new thread that we could use for general women's soccer talk.

Pretty great hire imo.
akm91
AG
Very surprising hiring and much lauded across the spectrum it seems. Wasn't on the short list of candidates so it was definitely out of the left field.

Rumored to be making close if not the same salary as Berhalter, which blows away what Vlatko was making: $1.6M vs. $450K
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
DuncanField91
AG
My daughter and I followed the Chelsea women over the past several years. I was shocked when I heard about her interest in the USWNT. I'm of the opinion that if Emma Hayes is interested in managing your team, you do what is needed to appoint Emma Hayes as your manager. I think this is a fantastic get for us.
Pahdz
Friend of ours who used to work for the club we coach for was pumped about this hire, and she is tied into and knows WAY more about the women's game than me so if she's excited then I'm excited.
MookieBlaylock
AG
She gets to take over a cancer free team as well

Things should improve
jeffk
AG
akm91 said:

Rumored to be making close if not the same salary as Berhalter, which blows away what Vlatko was making: $1.6M vs. $450K

She's a more accomplished coach than GB.
tysker
AG
Thats a great hire
AgRyan04
Can we make a rule for this thread as to no politics, just soccer talk
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
AgRyan04 said:

Can you get the US Soccer leadership to do that?
tysker
AG
One could argue the women's NT manager gig is a harder than the men's. Higher expectations for the team overall, especially from the non-soccer public and media, with a player pool that isn't clearly as top-end talented as in years past relative to other nations
jeffk
AG
A little Q&A with Hayes from the USSF site here. Some good details about why she chose the job and her history with soccer in the USA.

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2023/11/q-a-with-new-us-womens-national-team-head-coach-emma-hayes

Supposedly going to be making close to $2 mil a year. Also this announcement about the transition:

Rudyjax
AG
US soccer getting something right?

So pumped for this!
Aston94
AG
AgRyan04 said:

Can you get the same commitment from the team?
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
Rudyjax said:

So pumped for this!

I wouldn't say they got anything right. I don't care what they pay her, but the reality is the USMNT coach should be in the $4M range if they were serious. This just shows how much they don't care about men's side imo.
Rudyjax
AG
HowdyTexasAggies said:

Rudyjax said:

So pumped for this!

I wouldn't say they got anything right. I don't care what they pay her, but the reality is the USMNT coach should be in the $4M range if they were serious. This just shows how much they don't care about men's side imo.
Apples and oranges dude.

Let's talk about apples and not oranges here.

HowdyTexasAggies
AG
Rudyjax said:

HowdyTexasAggies said:

Rudyjax said:

So pumped for this!

Apples and oranges dude.

OK "Dude" If you are arguing the money UMSNT brings in vs WNT its apples and oranges, sure. But otherwise, it's not apples and oranges. They are under the same governing body. In this case, they are paying over market on the WNT side and under market on the MNT side.
Rudyjax
AG
HowdyTexasAggies said:

Rudyjax said:

HowdyTexasAggies said:

Rudyjax said:

So pumped for this!

Apples and oranges dude.

OK "Dude" If you are arguing the money UMSNT brings in vs WNT its apples and oranges, sure. But otherwise, it's not apples and oranges. They are under the same governing body. In this case, they are paying over market on the WNT side and under market on the MNT side.

Bruh...they got the men's hire wrong and got the women's hire right from what it seems.

I thought this was about the Women's team? Let's just talk about that.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
Rudyjax said:

HowdyTexasAggies said:

Rudyjax said:

HowdyTexasAggies said:

Rudyjax said:

So pumped for this!

Apples and oranges dude.

Bruh...they got the men's hire wrong and got the women's hire right from what it seems.

Ok, but other than "who" they hired they didn't get anything right.
Rudyjax
AG
HowdyTexasAggies said:

Rudyjax said:

HowdyTexasAggies said:

Rudyjax said:

HowdyTexasAggies said:

Rudyjax said:

So pumped for this!

Apples and oranges dude.

There's nothing wrong with saying they got this hire right. Because by all appearances, they did.

That doesn't mean they're doing everything right. And I'm sorry you're so hurt that you can't understand this.
jeffk
AG
NO FIGHTING IN THE WAR ROOM
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
Rudyjax said:

HowdyTexasAggies said:

Rudyjax said:

HowdyTexasAggies said:

Rudyjax said:

HowdyTexasAggies said:

Rudyjax said:

So pumped for this!

Apples and oranges dude.

There's nothing wrong with saying they got this hire right. Because by all appearances, they did.

That doesn't mean they're doing everything right. And I'm sorry you're so hurt that you can't understand this.

"Bruh" I would say you are the one that's hurt about my statement. Get your panties out of a wad.
Aston94
AG
The simple fact is that by having the men's and women's coaches salaries the same we are making the women's national team coach the highest paid women's NT coach, and our men's coach is paid well below the average for the upper level countries. Those are the facts. If you want to tie the two salaries together then we are always going to be below average on the men's side. But, you know, we are making a statement so that's what matters.

The hire seems like a good one, we should be able to get the best of the best for women's HC, and it appears tha they did just that.

MookieBlaylock
AG
Unfotunately, we Aggies have lost the right to complain about coach salaries anymore
TXAggie2011
AG
https://www.completesports.com/revealed-salaries-of-32-head-coaches-in-2022-fifa-world-cup/

As of the world cup, Gregg Berhalter's salary seemed to be about in line with the other coaches who hadn't really had previous big success.

Klinsmann made over $3 million a year, so it's not like they haven't gone higher in the past in order to get who they want.
Aston94
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

https://www.completesports.com/revealed-salaries-of-32-head-coaches-in-2022-fifa-world-cup/

As of the world cup, Gregg Berhalter's salary seemed to be about in line with the other coaches who hadn't really had previous big success.

Klinsmann made over $3 million a year, so it's not like they haven't gone higher in the past in order to get who they want.
That's the point, they have now tied women's salaries to the men's salaries, so if you go after a big name coach on the men's side, it now costs you double. Pay $4M to a men's coach, raise the pay of your women's coach to $4M. So they are not going to be able to afford high dollar coaches on the men's side.
jeffk
AG
USSF has more money than they can spend.
akm91
AG
First camp call up with Hayes influence: No Morgan, Sauerbraunn, Naeher, Sullivan, Sanchez, Dunn and Huerta.

Might we actually see Smith playing #9 (her best position) for a change?

Nice to see Davidson and Dahlkemper back in the fold.

Quote:

GOALKEEPERS (3): Jane Campbell (Houston Dash; 7), Aubrey Kingsbury (Washington Spirit; 1), Casey Murphy (North Carolina Courage; 16)

DEFENDERS (7): Alana Cook (OL Reign; 29/1), Abby Dahlkemper (San Diego Wave FC; 79/0), Tierna Davidson (Chicago Red Stars; 50/1), Emily Fox (North Carolina Courage; 37/1), Naomi Girma (San Diego Wave FC; 24/0), Casey Krueger (Chicago Red Stars; 41/0), M.A. Vignola (Angel City FC; 1/0)

MIDFIELDERS (8): Korbin Albert (Paris Saint-Germain, FRA; 0/0), Sam Coffey (Portland Thorns FC; 5/0), Savannah DeMelo (Racing Louisville FC; 6/0), Lindsey Horan (Olympique Lyon, FRA; 137/30), Rose Lavelle (OL Reign; 91/24), Olivia Moultrie (Portland Thorns FC; 0/0), Jenna Nighswonger (NJ/NY Gotham FC; 0/0), Emily Sonnett (OL Reign; 81/2)

FORWARDS (8):
Mia Fishel (Chelsea FC, ENG; 2/1), Ashley Hatch (Washington Spirit; 21/5), Midge Purce (NJ/NY Gotham FC; 24/4), Trinity Rodman (Washington Spirit; 26/6), Jaedyn Shaw (San Diego Wave FC; 2/1), Sophia Smith (Portland Thorns FC; 36/14), Alyssa Thompson (Angel City FC; 8/0), Lynn Williams (NJ/NY Gotham FC; 58/17)

Camp call up vs China
Rudyjax
AG
Mallory Swanson still recovering?

Moultrie is huge.
akm91
AG
Swanson is out until next spring IRC.
Rudyjax
AG
akm91 said:

Swanson is out until next spring IRC.
Wow...
akm91
AG
She had surgery on torn patella tendon in April and recovery is usually around 12 months that would put her back in spring.
Rudyjax
AG
akm91 said:

She had surgery on torn patella tendon in April and recovery is usually around 12 months that would put her back in spring.

Yikes. I knew it was bad but didn't know that.
Aston94
AG
jeffk said:

Are you suggesting that if the USMNT wants a top international coach on the men's side for let's say $7.5 Million per year, then US Soccer is in a position to offer the $7.5 M to a men's coach and raise the pay of the women's coach to $7.5 M as well? I have not seen that to be the case, but would love to be proven wrong.

In the scenario above, recruiting a top level men's coach would actually cost us $11-13 Million because of the pay raise that would be built in for the women's coach, to keep them on equal pay. My question is that if the USWNT has a male coach, do we have to give him equal pay to the USMNT coach?
jeffk
AG
Aston94 said:

jeffk said:

Are you suggesting

No
Agthatbuilds
Never doubt the stupidity of the ussf
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.