My least favorite thing about high school soccer…

23,862 Views | 414 Replies | Last: 19 days ago by Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's cold AF, games are short, and waiting for the GD ball to go out for a goal kick or a throw in for your team so you can watch your kid play.

MookieBlaylock
AG
If you sat on the other side you could see her
jeffk
AG
I do not miss the weather of HS soccer in Texas.
Rudyjax
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

If you sat on the other side you could see her

True. But I don't want to watch her on the bench.
Mustang1
AG
Varsity games are 40 minute halves, right?
Rudyjax
AG
Mustang1 said:

Yeah. JV1 has 35 and JV2 30.

This is a preseason tourney and they're 30 minute halves.

At U17 they go to 45.

MookieBlaylock
Mathguy64
AG
Mustang1 said:

40 with clock stoppages for goals, injuries, cards is no different or longer than 45 running straight through.
jeffk
AG
Stop giving so many cards, jeez.
Mathguy64
AG
jeffk said:

I'm a sweetheart. Only 2 YCs in 10 games the last two days. One was really orange. Slide from behind, studs into a heel. Fortunately not any force. Girl looked at me like I was the devil and questions why I won't let her slide tackle today.

I didn't have the heart to card the poor keeper who slid 5 yards outside her area to turtle on a ball. It was already 6-0 against her in the 1H.

Fortunately we are playing 40 min with a running clock at my tourney. You can break a leg and I'm not stopping the clock.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
The amount of coaches that don't see the need for ball girls is pet peeve of mine. It cheats the kids.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
jeffk
AG
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

The amount of coaches that don't see the need for ball girls is pet peeve of mine. It cheats the kids.

Funny story about that. We were playing PNG at their place in the playoffs one year when I was an assistant. Home team is required to provide ball boys. They of course didn't and it was majorly slowing the game down because of how much space they had around their field in the football stadium. It was a tied game at the half but we were starting to put a lot more pressure on them. At halftime I went and asked the center if I could bring down some of my JV players to be ball boys since the home team had failed to provide any. He said absolutely, so I got six of my players and posted them up around the field. I didn't give them any special instructions or tell them to be dicks, but they were all pretty savvy kids. Late in the game, you could tell they were sandbagging to get the ball back to the PNG players but hustling to get it to ours. We ended up scoring a winning goal off a throw in the last 10' and then time ran out as PNG was trying to get set-up for an attacking cornerkick. Their HC was LIVID at the final whistle and was yelling at the center about how the ball boys were cheating and he should have carded them or sent them to the stands. The center looked at his notebook and deadpanned "Aren't you the home team? Where are your ball boys?"
jeffk
AG
Mathguy64 said:

jeffk said:

I'm a sweetheart. Only 2 YCs in 10 games the last two days. One was really orange. Slide from behind, studs into a heel. Fortunately not any force. Girl looked at me like I was the devil and questions why I won't let her slide tackle today.

I didn't have the heart to card the poor keeper who slid 5 yards outside her area to turtle on a ball. It was already 6-0 against her in the 1H.

Fortunately we are playing 40 min with a running clock at my tourney. You can break a leg and I'm not stopping the clock.

At a tournament the last year I was in BCS, we were running a dual in a downpour and it was like 40 degrees. Everyone in the stadium agreed with our decision to let that clock runnnnnnnn regardless of events on the field.
Mathguy64
AG
Years ago I sent every ball girl in a playoff game to the stands for sandbagging and ****housery. They got a warning about it as did the home coach. 5 minutes later we were playing without them.
Dre_00
I'm wondering if that HC ensured that all future home games had ball boys
jeffk
AG
Knowing him, absolutely not. lol.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
jeffk said:

Funny story about that. We were playing PNG at their place in the playoffs one year when I was an assistant. Home team is required to provide ball boys. They of course didn't and it was majorly slowing the game down because of how much space they had around their field in the football stadium. It was a tied game at the half but we were starting to put a lot more pressure on them. At halftime I went and asked the center if I could bring down some of my JV players to be ball boys since the home team had failed to provide any. He said absolutely, so I got six of my players and posted them up around the field. I didn't give them any special instructions or tell them to be dicks, but they were all pretty savvy kids. Late in the game, you could tell they were sandbagging to get the ball back to the PNG players but hustling to get it to ours. We ended up scoring a winning goal off a throw in the last 10' and then time ran out as PNG was trying to get set-up for an attacking cornerkick. Their HC was LIVID at the final whistle and was yelling at the center about how the ball boys were cheating and he should have carded them or sent them to the stands. The center looked at his notebook and deadpanned "Aren't you the home team? Where are your ball boys?"
I love that.

We played in a situation where teams were supposed to provide ball girls for their side of the field. We did and they didn't. I did the same as you and sent over two girls to be ball girls and the coach complained that we were stealing her instructions. The ref ignored her, we played on and got a late goal to go ahead because we took advantage of a great quick throw situation. That woman still hates me to this day cause all I did was smile as she *****ed at us. We forwarded the email to her in which she agreed to provide ball girls. It's not often that I have something like that go my way but it was fun.

If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
Rudyjax
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Mustang1 said:

40 with clock stoppages for goals, injuries, cards is no different or longer than 45 running straight through.

True in varsity. Not in sub varsity.
Rudyjax
AG

Nothing drives me crazier than a corner kick and the balls rolls to the end of the stadium and the CB is taking the corner. No one bothers to get the ball so she has to jog half the length of the field then another half length to get to the ball.
jeffk
AG
Rudyjax said:

Mathguy64 said:

Mustang1 said:

The next time I find myself wishing a subvarsity game was longer will be the first.
Mathguy64
AG
There are not enough blue stars in the world for this. Coveted blue parachute is awarded for merit.
Rudyjax
AG
jeffk said:

Rudyjax said:

Mathguy64 said:

Mustang1 said:

The next time I find myself wishing a subvarsity game was longer will be the first.

I'd agree if I were reffing or coaching, but when you're watching your kid….

And I'd wager my daughter's Jv team would beat half the varsity teams in Texas.
jeffk
AG
Do y'all only have a varsity and JV?

Nevermind, I see where you said you have two JV squads.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
jeffk said:

Rudyjax said:

Mathguy64 said:

Mustang1 said:

As a JV coach, I concur.
jessexy
AG
I lasted exactly 1 game and 46 minutes before giving my first red card of the HS season. I probably haven't given a red card in 3 years or so either. That's dating back through 3 college seasons, but the last HS season I did was 2021.

1st caution was in the 12th minute. Kid got fouled 20 yards out so he gets a free kick. He falls down and does the classic roll to the left 4 times and then rolled back to the right 5 times, but then he gets up and two-hand shoves an opponent in the chest. He doesn't even push the kid that fouled him. He's got fire in his eyes too so he gets his yellow card and has to go off. I notice he's got a necklace on too. So I build some rapport with the coach by telling him he's already got a caution for his action so I'm not counting the jewelry and I don't need to card the coach. I realize he's got a captain's armband on now too.

Kid sits out for the free kick and immediately comes back onto the field on the ensuing goal kick. He proceeds to just jump into the other team's players for the next 2 minutes and I do a driveby on the coach and say "Coach, there's only one player with a yellow this game and we all know who it is. You might consider making a change." Grace given and coach subs him out for the rest of the half.

Kid starts the 2nd half and proceeds to jump into the other team's players again. He gets 2 fouls against him in about 4 minutes. 6 minutes later, his team scores a goal. Kid runs over to a defender that's laying on the ground and screams right in his face.... full blown Matt Miazga-style. I see it and we got 2nd caution --> red card. I hear "coach, this ref is targeting me". I'm thinking to myself "Buster, the reason I'm even looking at you is cuz you're the one knucklehead in the game".

Coach wants an explanation and I give it to him. He accepts it but I see him glance over at a college head coach that's watching (yes a HS tournament. strange right?). But I've known this college coach for years and he's known me. I assume he validates my red card to the HS coach cuz I don't hear a peep the rest of the game.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Can referees tell a story in under 10,000 words?

Seems to be a type.....
Aston94
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Seems to be a type.....

Funniest thing you have ever posted.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Aston94 said:

MookieBlaylock said:

Seems to be a type.....

I don't know I had a Michael J Fox joke I want on my Texags tombstone
fishag04
AG
My 8 year old wanted to watch a high school soccer game so we went to Seven Lakes vs Jesuit on Friday night. There was some pretty good soccer being played and I thought it was very entertaining.
jeffk
AG
Those are both pretty good teams typically.
Aston94
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Aston94 said:

MookieBlaylock said:

Seems to be a type.....

I don't know I had a Michael J Fox joke I want on my Texags tombstone
I think I would take ref jokes over what I assume is a parkinson-shaky joke.
Mustang1
AG
Jesuit is pretty loaded but 7 Lakes is on another level.
jessexy
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Seems to be a type.....
Refs generally have alot of words saved up from all the stuff we want to say back to the coach & parental whining every game.....
Jim01
AG
Just played a tournament in College Station this past weekend. Not a ball person in sight! And took them a few games to realize, "Maybe we should put a couple balls behind the goal at the beginning of each half." Eventually little brothers made their way down to the track and were shagging balls.

As for the cold, one of my Christmas gifts was a heated vest. Used it for the first time this weekend!

Ref wise we had one guy that called a lot but was also very nice. In the first half the other team complained on an obstruction call, then he yelled "I'll explain at halftime" and sure enough came over and explained the rule and why he called it. It was also nice to have a ref that would admit he could make mistakes. In explaining obstruction he said "a lot of time you all have a better angle than me, so maybe I'm wrong, but all I have to go on is my angle". There was also a weird sequence where we scored, he blew it off because there was confusion on indirect vs direct, our captain complained, got a yellow card and goal kick awarded. He stopped the clock and talked to other ref and then announced "My mistake. My fault. No card, Goal awarded."
Rudyjax
AG
Jim01 said:

There was also a weird sequence where we scored, he blew it off because there was confusion on indirect vs direct, our captain complained, got a yellow card and goal kick awarded. He stopped the clock and talked to other ref and then announced "My mistake. My fault. No card, Goal awarded."
That's just weird.
1. There should be no doubt on indirect or direct. Was his hand up or not? If his hand is up, it's indirect whether the foul is a direct free kick or not.
2. Whether the player is right or not, if they say something card worthy, it's still a card.

Referees chime in?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.