***MLS 2024 Season Thread***

2,232 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 27 days ago by oragator
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Distribution of that spend is also radically different in MLS vs the Prem.
Rudyjax
AG
fig96 said:

Is that spend or value?
fig96
AG
Rudyjax said:

fig96 said:

Is that spend or value?
Both.

On valuation $44m of Miami is in 2 players, $47m of Atlanta in 4 players, Seattle is somewhat more balanced at $26.5m for 5 players with a good number of $1-3m valuation players.

Designated Players and U-22 Initiative players tilt salary spend in a similar direction.
deadbq03
AG
Transfermarkt isn't spend. It's their estimate of what the players are worth now.

So clubs (or leagues) where players have shorter contracts will look cheaper. That plus the fact that it's a subjective measure make it less than perfect. But for comparing relative strength of teams in different leagues that never play each other, I think it's the best we've got.
fig96
AG
I realize, but as I just noted that estimated value is concentrated in a sometimes insanely small number of players in MLS. That isn't the case for most Premier League teams, especially in the lower third.

And with the DP rules being what they are, salary spend is often even more skewed with half or more of a club's total payroll spent on just a few players. We need to take some lessons from Liga MX and allow teams to more evenly distribute that spend across the roster, it would result in better soccer and more competitive teams.
Rudyjax
AG
You're explaining yourself poorly.

Not sure why you brought up spend as that's not what he was referring to.

You're saying the MLS' values (and spends) are top heavy and so that difference is actual PL and MLs is even greater than he mentioned because of it.

Correct?
deadbq03
AG
fig96 said:

I realize, but as I just noted that estimated value is concentrated in a sometimes insanely small number of players in MLS. That isn't the case for most Premier League teams, especially in the lower third.

And with the DP rules being what they are, salary spend is often even more skewed with half or more of a club's total payroll spent on just a few players. We need to take some lessons from Liga MX and allow teams to more evenly distribute that spend across the roster, it would result in better soccer and more competitive teams.
Yeah you're right about the distribution of quality players. And that makes these MLS valuation numbers flattering.

MLS acts like they play basketball - where the individual performances of star players can lift a team. Soccer is very nearly the opposite - you're only as good as your weakest link.
fig96
AG
I'm saying exactly what I meant to say, that comparing club valuations makes things look more even than they are.

I should've addressed valuation first, spend is a different but very related discussion.
oragator

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.