*****Official USMNT vs. Jamaica CONCACAF Nations League Semi-Final Match Thread*****
7,360 Views | 251 Replies
wangus12
10:09p, 3/21/24
Tickets for the final bought. They really need to do something about these websites and their extra fees. Its insane right now
wangus12
10:25p, 3/21/24
Looks like its gonna be Mexico
shack009
10:35p, 3/21/24
I actually like Gio coming on in the second half as a super sub. Guys like that have a lot of value. He really changes the look of a game. I don't think he's as effective when he plays a full game.

This also allows you to start Pulisic-Weah-Flo up front and MMA in the midfield (in a normal game). Then Gio can come on and change the whole look and provide a ton of creativity against more tired legs.
PatAg
11:50p, 3/21/24
In reply to Mathguy64
Mathguy64 said:

PatAg said:

Gregg issues aside, I still think our team has a problem that is not immediately obvious. Its great that we are puttin so many players in top leagues for good team, and they are getting playing time and succeeding.
just about NONE of them are playing as "THE" guy on their team day to day.
CP and McKennie are doing that for Juve and I think Jedi is earning praise at Fulham, at least as much as a LB can. I saw a suggestion that ManU may be looking at him. That would be a big leap up as long as he actually played. I would rather he play every day at Fulham than play random minutes backing up Shaw.

Weah seems buried and Gio is persona non grata everywhere. And Turner has also lost his spot.
They arent doing that, they are playing great as complimentary players for their teams. Thats also how Pulisic should be utilized for our team, hes just not the player that needs to constantly being on the ball orchestrating things. We need to ust be finding him in dangerous spots and letting him do this thing, but he is still at the point in his career where he tries to do too much for us.
He could still develop more into that player, of course.
Rudyjax
8:05a, 3/22/24
Man, i just can't believe how uninspiring and how bad we looked against the Jamaica B team.

Have we looked good as a squad since Berholter returned?

jeffk
8:10a, 3/22/24
In reply to PatAg
PatAg said:

Mathguy64 said:

PatAg said:

CP and McKennie are doing that for Juve and I think Jedi is earning praise at Fulham, at least as much as a LB can. I saw a suggestion that ManU may be looking at him. That would be a big leap up as long as he actually played. I would rather he play every day at Fulham than play random minutes backing up Shaw.

Weah seems buried and Gio is persona non grata everywhere. And Turner has also lost his spot.
They arent doing that, they are playing great as complimentary players for their teams. Thats also how Pulisic should be utilized for our team, hes just not the player that needs to constantly being on the ball orchestrating things. We need to ust be finding him in dangerous spots and letting him do this thing, but he is still at the point in his career where he tries to do too much for us.

The problem there is that we don't have anyone who can be "the guy" to allow CP to be the complimentary guy he is on Milan. Adams comes closest I think, but he's clearly not back to 100% yet (prayers up that he will recapture what he was prior to his injury). Tons of guys all over the world are forced to be "the guy" on their national teams after being complimentary or bit players on their club squads. I don't even know if the USA has ever had someone who's the huge a presence on both the NT and their club (not counting MLS).
oh no
8:14a, 3/22/24
We just need Erling Haaland to change his nationality and apply for a one time switch with FIFA and then all our other good players can be complimentary. Problem solved.
akm91
8:21a, 3/22/24
In reply to jeffk
If Reyna can get his club situation sorted out, he could be the closest to being the guy for the club team.
jeffk
8:23a, 3/22/24
In reply to akm91
Maybe so! I still think he's got an injury bug that he needs to (hopefully) grow out of.
Furlock Bones
8:29a, 3/22/24
In reply to akm91
akm91 said:

If Reyna can get his club situation sorted out, he could be the closest to being the guy for the club team.

American players keep making awful club decisions. There was no good reason to go to NF.
akm91
9:10a, 3/22/24
In reply to jeffk
jeffk said:

Maybe so! I still think he's got an injury bug that he needs to (hopefully) grow out of.
Think we use to say the same thing about Pulisic at the same age so there's hope (knock on wood).
jeffk
9:49a, 3/22/24
In reply to akm91
Yeah, I made that same comparison on the US player thread. All the complaints about Gio now were made about CP five years ago. Hope Gio too can get less fragile as he ages.
oh no
9:50a, 3/22/24
In reply to Furlock Bones
Furlock Bones said:

akm91 said:

American players keep making awful club decisions. There was no good reason to go to NF.
but there were many good reasons to gtfo BvB and beggars can't be choosers
Mathguy64
10:01a, 3/22/24
In reply to jeffk
jeffk said:

PatAg said:

Mathguy64 said:

PatAg said:

The problem there is that we don't have anyone who can be "the guy" to allow CP to be the complimentary guy he is on Milan. Adams comes closest I think, but he's clearly not back to 100% yet (prayers up that he will recapture what he was prior to his injury). Tons of guys all over the world are forced to be "the guy" on their national teams after being complimentary or bit players on their club squads. I don't even know if the USA has ever had someone who's the huge a presence on both the NT and their club (not counting MLS).
We don't have an MBappe, Haaland, DeBruyne or Neymar but there aren't that many galactic level players either. And having one doesn't guarantee your NT will be successful. Hell, Norway can't seem to qualify with the worlds best cyborg. Very few NTs are full of first team international players.

We have a good squad of international players. I hate to lay this at ggg's feet, but a better NT coach (one who maximized the players with a better system because you can't "coach" players when you see them 6 times a year) would help.
Rudyjax
10:07a, 3/22/24
Ggg's record is because of who he has on the team not because he's a good coach.

We're going to get demolished by el tri.
deadbq03
10:12a, 3/22/24
In reply to Mathguy64
I don't think Pat's saying we need a world-class player. I think what he's trying to say is that we don't have a guy who's the primary chance-creator for their team… regardless of level. There's just a different mentality that comes from bearing the responsibility to be the "creative engine" for your club. For us, Pulisic tries, sometimes Dest tries, etc, but they're not used to doing it for their clubs so they struggle to do it here.

But I'll add… I think another year at Milan and CP could get there. He has moments of sheer brilliance for them.
Mathguy64
10:16a, 3/22/24
In reply to Rudyjax
Rudyjax said:

Ggg's record is because of who he has on the team not because he's a good coach.

History would suggest that's not happening. This El Tri isn't a collection of world beaters.
JW
10:17a, 3/22/24
All ggg fault. The players are there.
Rudyjax
10:18a, 3/22/24
In reply to Mathguy64
Mathguy64 said:

Rudyjax said:

History would suggest that's not happening. This El Tri isn't a collection of world beaters.
They looked like 3x's the team we were last night.

Pahdz
10:21a, 3/22/24
By no means am I white knighting for ggg here but that game was F'd from the moment they scored that goal and parked the bus.

Mexico ain't doing that even if they go up 1-0.

If the game is free flowing and open we're in much better shape.
wangus12
10:22a, 3/22/24
In reply to Rudyjax
They also looked wide open in defense and Panama couldn't finish worth a damn
deadbq03
10:26a, 3/22/24
I think we win big because we always step up for big games against real teams - and we always struggle to break down CONCACAF minnows who park the bus.
fig96
11:02a, 3/22/24
In reply to Mathguy64
Mathguy64 said:

PatAg said:

Gregg issues aside, I still think our team has a problem that is not immediately obvious. Its great that we are puttin so many players in top leagues for good team, and they are getting playing time and succeeding.

Jedi is starting to get some run as one of the best left backs in the Premiership, he's been universally praised and rates as one of the best fullbacks in the league statistically.
shack009
11:03a, 3/22/24
In reply to fig96
fig96 said:

Mathguy64 said:

PatAg said:

Jedi is starting to get some run as one of the best left backs in the Premiership, he's been universally praised and rates as one of the best fullbacks in the league statistically.

He's so fast and can run all day. Crosses still need a little work, if we are being nitpicky.
Rudyjax
11:35a, 3/22/24

Spot on.
jeffk
12:30p, 3/22/24
The USMNT under GB pretty much always does what they're supposed to do in CONCACAF. The W-L record there speaks to that clearly, even if they look bad doing it on occasion. GB's inability so far to get this group to put together a good WC run (or any tournament outside of CONCACAF) is still the biggest mark against him. The selling point I used to hear from GB and his staff was that they were instilling a mentality and approach that would win games against elite international teams. I don't think he's delivered on that yet, but I'm hoping we do in 2026 because there's just no chance he won't be leading the team at that point.
Rudyjax
1:05p, 3/22/24
In reply to jeffk
jeffk said:

The USMNT under GB pretty much always does what they're supposed to do in CONCACAF. The W-L record there speaks to that clearly, even if they look bad doing it on occasion. GB's inability so far to get this group to put together a good WC run (or any tournament outside of CONCACAF) is still the biggest mark against him. The selling point I used to hear from GB and his staff was that they were instilling a mentality and approach that would win games against elite international teams. I don't think he's delivered on that yet, but I'm hoping we do in 2026 because there's just no chance he won't be leading the team at that point.
We're supposed to win in Concacaf. To me, that's more about our players being superior than anything Ggg has done.

And, we lost in the semi's to Panama, with our b/c team that was superior to Panama, and we may not win this cup with our A team.

Agthatbuilds
1:12p, 3/22/24
In reply to Rudyjax
Rudyjax said:

jeffk said:

We're supposed to win in Concacaf. To me, that's more about our players being superior than anything Ggg has done.

And, we lost in the semi's to Panama, with our b/c team that was superior to Panama, and we may not win this cup with our A team.

We're the Oklahoma of the soccer world. We can win the big 12 (concacaf) but fold once we play the best of the rest
Rudyjax
1:17p, 3/22/24
In reply to Agthatbuilds
Agthatbuilds said:

Rudyjax said:

jeffk said:

We're the Oklahoma of the soccer world. We can win the big 12 (concacaf) but fold once we play the best of the rest
We finished 3rd in World Cup qualifying and barely made it in.
Agthatbuilds
1:24p, 3/22/24
In reply to Rudyjax
Rudyjax said:

Agthatbuilds said:

Rudyjax said:

jeffk said:

True. Point stands
deadbq03
1:35p, 3/22/24
In reply to Rudyjax
Rudyjax said:

jeffk said:

What I always come back to is how we were probably a better-looking team with both interim coaches last year.
Rudyjax
1:56p, 3/22/24
In reply to Agthatbuilds
Agthatbuilds said:

Rudyjax said:

Agthatbuilds said:

Rudyjax said:

jeffk said:

True. Point stands
Well you said we can win the big 12, but not always.
wangus12
2:21p, 3/22/24
In reply to deadbq03
deadbq03 said:

Rudyjax said:

jeffk said:

What I always come back to is how we were probably a better-looking team with both interim coaches last year.
Agreed. I really wish we'd kept Callaghan as the HC
jessexy
6:23p, 3/22/24
In reply to Mathguy64
Mathguy64 said:

I just do not understand why Gio isn't getting any PT. Every time he plays for the MNT he's making plays. Maybe he is just one of those guys who doesn't practice well.
Cuz he sucks during practice. And any manager he's ever had won't play him in games cuz he doesn't practice well. He didn't start at Dortmund. Isn't starting at NF. and doesn't start for USMNT cuz he doesn't practice hard.
jessexy
6:31p, 3/22/24
In reply to jeffk
jeffk said:

PatAg said:

Mathguy64 said:

PatAg said:

Not counting GKs, Claudio Reyna was the man on most of his club teams. We just never saw it because it wasn't on tv like that. Also, Brian McBride and Clint Dempsey were all Fulham had for a couple seasons when they were there together.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 7 of 8
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings