8:38p, 12/23/23
Sengun was dominant tonight
zooguy96
8:39p, 12/23/23
Rockets win!

Sengun 37-11-6
The Porkchop Express
8:45p, 12/23/23
Has Jabari finally figured it out? 4 good games on offense in a row.
AG@RICE
8:54p, 12/23/23
Bari + Sengun = 63 points + 22 rebounds

Pups are growing up.
Unemployed
8:55p, 12/23/23
In reply to Ags #1
Ags #1 said:

Green with 5 TOs in the first half
That's why his ass was benched with 6 minutes left in the 3rd quarter and remained there.

It's his 3rd year and he still does not know how to play basketball.
Harry Dunne
10:21p, 12/23/23
AG@RICE
10:57p, 12/23/23
In reply to Unemployed
It's not even the turnovers that get me the most. It's when he pulls up for an extra deep 3 with 18 seconds left on the shot clock or when he calls for an iso just to end up with an incredibly difficult jump shot.

The guy modeled his game after the worst parts of James harden's mixtape. He simply isn't a gifted enough shooter for that BS.

If he would just limit his game to attacking the paint, drawing fouls and setting up his teammates he could be a good player. He needs to channel Jimmy Butler as his spirit guide.

shady
7:38a, 12/24/23
Summer league Jabari has entered the building. I hope he sticks around for a while.
Triple S
9:32p, 12/26/23
Rockets fall tonight, but Segun dropped 30 AGAIN. some bad non-calls at the end, but Rockets are competitive again.
"Eat more do-nuts and less lists" - Dennis Franchonie
HotardRat
9:43p, 12/26/23
Pacers shot like FAU against the Ags. Just unbelievable.
Unemployed
9:58p, 12/26/23
Jalen Green rode the bench again in the 4th quarter.

Udoka doesn't fk around. I'm not ready to give up on him yet since he's only 21 but it sure is frustrating watching him play.
The Porkchop Express
11:34p, 12/26/23
WEnt to the game tonight with my brother, first time in the building in 14 years. 7th row seats in the end zone so a great view throughout.

Pacers hit their first 6 threes in a row and Haliburton was left open for entirely too long. Eventually, they put Jabari on him and he did a decent job making him take tougher looks, but too little, too late.

Brooks getting hurt probably cost them the win. Down the stretch 3 out of 5 guys were just standing there taking bad shots with the game on the line.

Sengun is phenomenal to watch. He outworks his guy every time for positioning on offense. Then when he gets the ball he just figures out which angle to take and scores. He destroys lazy defenses.

Tari Eason quickly became my favorite player. Defensive hustle and explosiveness. Other than Sengun, the 2nd unit outplayed the first unit tonight.

Jabari looks soft and unsure. I hope he figures it out and puts on some muscle. The worst part of the game for an older fan like me was watching the Rockets have zero defense in the lane for most of the night.

First time seeing the massive mural of players in Toyota Center. Although it's odd that Horry made the montage but not Sam Cassell.

Will take a lot more inteest in the team now that I've gone to a game. Really fun to watch on offfense.
mAgnoliAg
9:21p, 12/29/23
Pat Bev
HotardRat
9:28p, 12/29/23
Landale
Johnsy3
9:28p, 12/29/23
Wtf was that last possession? We've wasted two good Jalen Green games
mAgnoliAg
9:33p, 12/29/23
I'd have to watch it again but I feel like Landale has to look to the corner there or find someway to kick it out
BayAg_14
9:50p, 12/29/23
In reply to mAgnoliAg
Don't watch. He had two wide open guys in either corner and instead he throws up a brick from below the basket.
Johnsy3
10:38p, 12/29/23
In reply to mAgnoliAg
mAgnoliAg
8:49p, 12/30/23
At least the pistons broke their streak before we play them
Guitarsoup
11:22p, 12/30/23
A few days ago Bill Simmons did a NBA talk with Doc Rivers. I listened to parts of it.

Towards the end, Bill asked for a story about playing for Coach Pop and Doc clarified that Bob Hill was the coach and Pop was the GM. But he said the most memorable thing was when the Spurs were down 2-0 to teh Rockets in the WCF and Avery Johnson (super religious) said to David Robinson (super religious) "Five-O. I don't know. I don't know, man. Allah is whooping up on God."
Guitarsoup
7:21p, 12/31/23
Athletic Q&A with Stone

If I had told you a year ago that this team would be three games back of the No. 3 seed in December 2023, what would you have said?

That December is not the right period of time to measure how good any team is. We feel good about the progress we've made to date, but it's just too early to tell where exactly we are. We're a quarter of the way through the season, not at the end of the season.
Even with that, is this how you predicted the beginning of "Phase 2" would go? This new period of Rockets basketball is supposed to align with real improvement and getting back to the playoffs. But even with that, some performances this season must have exceeded expectations.
I think we're happy with where the group has been to date. But again, the challenge is to make sure that we're not complacent and that we keep improving because we do need to improve in all facets of the game.
Defensively, this team has taken the biggest leap, now cemented (at least right now) as a top-five unit. Is it as simple as just adding Dillon Brooks and Fred VanVleet to the roster?
No, it's a lot more than that. I want to give our coaches credit. I think they've done a good job consistently putting together schemes that challenge opponents and play to the strengths of our players. But I do think that every single one of the guys we've had back, with no exceptions, has improved defensively. Obviously, we brought in two really good defenders. But none of this would happen without our young guys improving on that side.

Knowing how much this franchise works with analytics and projections, what did you guys see over the summer concerning Tari Eason and Jabari Smith Jr. defensively? Are they ahead of schedule, or is this what the group expected them to be in their second seasons?
I don't know about expected, but it's certainly what we hoped they would be. We saw and still see in both of them guys who are just extraordinarily gifted on that side of the ball. So concerning those two guys, part of them being successful is they need to be great defenders. And we think they're kind of on schedule and on track to become that. Certainly was an enormous component with both of them on why we were so high on them before joining us. And since they've been with us, nothing's changed from that perspective. That's still our hope and expectation.
What's the working relationship like between yourself and (head coach) Ime Udoka? Is there a healthy amount of discourse between the both of you about in-game happenings or is it more on a broader, wider scope?
It's good. I don't know what you're getting at with the question, but we talk all the time about most things but what happens in-game is on him. He's the one who has to make the real-time decisions. And we certainly talk about what happened during a particular game, not in a "What should have happened," not in that way. More, "This is what happened, is there anything you happened to have seen?" That's a question he likes to ask me a lot. Is there anything you see?
One thing that I think successful and confident people have in common across all businesses, not just in our business of basketball but across all businesses, is because they're so confident, they like to ask everyone for input because they're just interested in different perspectives. To see if there's something that they can take advantage of. It doesn't mean they're going to react to it. And I find that with Ime, one of the things I like about him is he's very open and, we're able to have really good conversations about what I saw, what he saw. If something's not working for our group or an individual player, we can have a good dialogue about various kinds of thoughts as to why that is. Thus far it's been a really good working relationship. I've enjoyed it.
Alperen engn is having a breakout season and is one of the early names to watch for most improved. Is it fair to say this jump in his third season took you by surprise a bit? He's getting all sorts of national attention that was non-existent in his first two years …
No (laughs). Kind of like all of our players, I'm very happy with his growth defensively. Offensively, he's improved but even defensively, we're very high on Alperen; we always have been. What I would say is we're happy with where he's at but nothing he's done this year has particularly surprised me.
Offensively, however, as a unit, this team has struggled with consistency. I understand there are still moving pieces, guys that need the ball, but what's your view of the offense in general right now?
For us, our offense is behind our defense. That's not the goal, but given the amount of change we had this summer and all of the additions and everything else, the fact we're all still learning from each other and trying to figure out the best ways to put everyone in positions to be successful is not shocking. We just have to keep working at it. It's an area of focus for all of us. And hopefully what we'll see is kind of gradual incremental growth on that side of the ball throughout the year.

Is that also how you view someone like Jalen Green? In his first two seasons, he had different expectations and more weight on his shoulders. Now, he's having to adjust to a different role. Does that explain some of his early Year 3 struggles?

Some is just the ball hasn't gone in as much as he'd like. Some of it's make and miss. I don't know that it's not having the ball in his hands so much as trying to adjust to a different offense, different schemes. Also teams playing him differently, his teammates have changed a lot and opposing teams don't play us as a whole the same way they did last year. And so trying to figure it all out, it's our job to help him with it and it's his job to ultimately figure it out. I know Jalen is not happy with where he is offensively and we want him to be better and more efficient too. But I would say that it would not be accurate or fair to single him out.

I think our whole group is kind of in the same bucket of trying to figure out exactly where we want to go and win. And stylistically, how to make sure that game in and game out we're getting shots we like. You're not going to make shots every night and in that sense, offense is always going to be a little more inconsistent than defense is. But I think for us and for this group, a lot of it is just trying to figure out a consistent way of generating good looks. In some games, we generated them, in some games we haven't and we want to be more consistent. And we think as that happens, we want to see improvement in terms of our ability to make those shots as well.
Outside of the bigger names on the roster, there were other offseason moves made around the margins that have filled important roles early on, Aaron Holiday and Jeff Green. What pointed you in their direction and why have they been so critical so far?
Well, both of those guys are guys that we've liked for a long time. We were lucky that they were free agents at a time when we could play in free agency. And so yeah, they've done well and I'm happy for that. Jeff's a super veteran player, but Aaron's been around for a while, too. So they both have come in and done exactly what we thought they would do. And we thought that with our current mix, they fit well. And it's been nice that through a quarter season that's been the way it's played out.
Fred VanVleet's come in and been a stabilizing force and presence. What have you seen from him as a leader in the locker room and on the floor and how can that help young players like Amen Thompson, especially as he's trying to come back from injury and missed time?
With Fred, we had all heard good things. But again, I take all that with a grain of salt. And so one thing that's been nice is not only has he lived up to kind of those expectations but he's exceeded them. He's just a great guy off the court. He's been great for our group. He's willing to talk and able to talk and communicate, but he's mostly a quiet guy. What's awesome about him is that he says everything that absolutely needs to be said. He provides a voice every time we need a voice. A nice guy who's incredibly tough, tough-minded, physically tough. We've been really happy with Fred.
Amen just needs to get on the court. He sprained his ankle, missed a bunch of time, came back, got sick, and is still trying to get over that. He just needs reps on the court. We're super excited about him every minute he's played, whether in practice or games has just added to our excitement. But ultimately we're just gonna have to see how he does on the court once he can consistently be available. Fred's been great for a whole group. But I don't know, just because of the nature of how Amen's been in and out, not sure he's had any special effect there.
Dec. 15 has passed and the league is officially open for business. As a general manager, I know you've always been quite aggressive in pursuing upgrades to the roster. What's that stance like currently? Are there specific areas you'd like to improve in that are quickly attainable on the market, or is it more of a wait-and-see approach closer to the trade deadline?
We like our current group. We like the way they are playing on the court, we like the way they're interacting. We think there's a lot of room for improvement just in the guys we have playing better and getting better. So by no means, this year at least, are we aggressively hunting a particular deal or series of deals. Having said that, it's kind of my job to talk to everybody and to hear what other teams are trying to do and see if there are things that make sense for both parties. And we'll make sure we make every phone call and run out every ground ball. At least right now, we need a better sense of exactly where our team is before we start thinking, "Oh, we need to add this." We'll have a better sense, honestly, a game from now, right? Like every game gives us critical information. I think it's too early to predict how active we will or will not be at the trade deadline or in the days in between. But we are not feeling any need to do something per se. We like where this group is and mostly we want there to be internal improvement.

Guitarsoup
7:24p, 12/31/23
Q&A with Fat James.

When you decided you were done in Philly, was it always Clippers or nothing else? What was your thought process?
It was about trying to get to a situation where I could get paid and obviously have a chance to win at the highest level. These last few years, I sacrificed so much whether it's role, whether it's financial that, at this point, it's over with. I just want to be able to move forward and still have the opportunity to make some money and obviously win at the highest level.
So you mention the financial part, and I was hoping you could clarify one aspect of that situation. Were you actually told by the Sixers that you had that deal coming?
A max?
Yeah.
Yeah.
That was said by Daryl?
Yes. Yes.
Then when did you start figuring out that it wouldn't be there? I'd heard that he stopped communicating with you in the summertime, and you took that as a sign that things had changed.
Yeah, me and Daryl had a really good relationship. So (in the past), a week or two after we lose in the playoffs, it would be all about trying to figure out how to improve the team. (They'd talk about) 'How do we get better?' And that's been going on for 10-plus years, you know what I mean? And then this year, there was no communication. And at that point, it's like, 'OK, I see what's going on.' I'm very intelligent. So then I just figure out 'What's my next move, and what do I want to do?' So I understand that, at the end of the day, this is a business. And just like he has to do what's best for his organization, I've got to do what's best for me and my family. It's as simple as that.

------

So there's another subplot that I'm hoping you can speak on. We all knew that going back to Houston was a pretty serious possibility for you if you hit free agency, but then they decided against it. It's been reported that you told them you wanted to go back to being a scoring champ and to go back to being the guy who played that Rockets style basketball, and that it was a turnoff that led to them changing their minds. Is there truth to that?
Where is the personnel for that on that team? And in the last three or four years, what have I been trying to accomplish?
You can answer that for yourself. Now the meeting was had, and those conversations about style of play, how I've been playing and things like that (took place). But (the idea of) me going out there and averaging 30-something points a game who wants to do that?
Who was in the meeting?
Representation, (Rockets) head coach (Ime Udoka). That was it.

-----------_

Would you change anything about the way you handled the whole situation, leaving Philly?
Nah, it wasn't my decision (laughs). So I mean, at that point, you put me in a situation and I've got to sit back, survey what's going on and then make the best decision that's going to be beneficial for me and my family. Like I just told you, I sacrificed money to come to Philly hoping to retire (there). So when you guys throw a curveball at me, now I've got to step back and I'm not just a guy who's radical, who's just gonna do anything. I'm strategic. I think before I react. And a lot of people don't understand and know that about me, which is fine.
People don't know you, James. You know that.
They don't know me at all, and I'm fine with that. So with all the stories, you're never gonna hear me go back (at people) on social media. Eventually, it's gonna play out.
I was around you and Daryl so much in Houston through all those years, and I'll be honest: It's still just wild to me that your relationship ended like this. You probably had the most unique player-front office relationship…
Ever.
Yeah, maybe in the history of the game.
Yeah. It surprised the hell out of me, you know what I mean? I looked at it like a marriage. We talked about a lot of s. And we've got a lot of s that, in front of people's eyes, you don't know or understand. But instead of (Morey) having a conversation with me (about free agency) or saying, 'All right James, we don't want to offer you this, but we have this.' Then we go back and forth, and that's a dialogue. But you just ice me out? Then it's like, you don't respect me as much as I thought you did. You don't need people like that, you know what I mean? So it's just bad karma. People were throwing dirt on my name, but the good guys always win.
Safe to assume you all still haven't connected?
There's too much money, too much respect (lost) and too much loyalty on my end to even double back (with Morey). There's nothing to talk about. There's nothing to talk about. This is real money.
[url=https://theathletic.com/5107064/2023/12/06/nba-draft-2024-big-board-isiah-collier-reed-sheppard/][/url]
[url=https://theathletic.com/5107064/2023/12/06/nba-draft-2024-big-board-isiah-collier-reed-sheppard/][/url]
The Porkchop Express
12:19p, 1/1/24
What a difference a year makes!

January 1, 2024
Houston Rockets: 15-15
Houston Texans: 9-7

January 1, 2023
Houston Rockets: 10-26
Houston Texans: 2-13-1

mAgnoliAg
9:53p, 1/1/24
Amen outplayed Ausar
The Porkchop Express
11:08a, 1/2/24
Boban sighting last night! first game since November.
The Porkchop Express
9:37p, 1/3/24
Big third quarter to pull away tonight.
Another 30 point effort from Sengun. He's averaging 29.2 per game over his last 6 contests and is up to 18th in the league in FG %.
TREX01
7:41a, 1/4/24
I haven't been able to watch much lately. How has Amen looked? What are reasonable expectations for him?
superaggie73
8:04a, 1/4/24
With Brooks and Eason both out last night, Amen and Whitmore both got good minutes and put up solid nights.
shano0603
8:05a, 1/4/24
Amen and Cam seem to be improving every night. The G-league was great for Cam.

You can just tell the talent is there. Cam could be an all-star.
The Porkchop Express
11:59a, 1/4/24
In reply to TREX01
TREX01 said:

I haven't been able to watch much lately. How has Amen looked? What are reasonable expectations for him?
He played well. Didnt try to do too much. But clanked several free throws.

AG@RICE
1:29a, 1/7/24
Rockets still playing well without Dillon and Tari.

Jabari has become our leader in minutes in recent games. His defense and rebounding have been great.

We are currently in 9th and we go on the road for the next 6 (Mia, Chi, Det, Bos, Phi, and NY).

Hopefully we are still in the playoff picture when we get back home.
Phrasing
5:54p, 1/8/24
In reply to AG@RICE
Any timetable for Tari and Dillon to return?
AG@RICE
10:38p, 1/8/24
In reply to Phrasing
No idea. The seem to keep a rather tight lip on injuries.

I think Dillon will probably be a few more games. Oblique strains don't always have a clear time table, but they definitely need time.

Tari has some consistent lingering undefined leg injury. I think they are trying to give him enough time to heal, but seems to be able to play when asked.

Either way, we desperately need both.
WES2006AG
8:00p, 1/9/24
Sengun named player of the week
The Porkchop Express
8:50p, 1/9/24
Really love watching Eason, hoping he gets well soon. Reminds me a bit of young Robert Horry when he would not worry about scoring and just go out there and use his length to make things difficult for the other team.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 10 of 19
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings