************* Houston Rockets 23-24 Season thread ****************
55,984 Views | 639 Replies
The Porkchop Express
9:32p, 1/10/24
Turn it on! Rockets were down 13 with 4 minutes to play and just took the bulls ti overtime
Texaggie7nine
9:39p, 1/10/24
Houston Senguns
7nine
linkdude
9:48p, 1/10/24
Gut punch after gut punch. Someone call Buzz cuz the Rockets turned a 5 point lead into a 4 point deficit in three possessions. Anti-turkey.
Harry Dunne
8:08a, 1/11/24
Missing Brooks hurts is more than the haters want to admit.
WES2006AG
8:14a, 1/11/24
The road struggles continue but it was encouraging to see us come back and get that game to OT last night. Getting healthy should hopefully help.
Ags #1
8:25p, 1/12/24
Defense tonight is not good
Ags #1
8:45p, 1/12/24
Green has to be one of the worst defenders in the league
superaggie73
8:48p, 1/12/24
Dillon Brooks wearing the greatest jacket ever tonight. Making Calvin jealous.
Ags #1
8:49p, 1/12/24
Remind me again why did we not bring back Bullard years ago? This is hard to listen to imo
mAgnoliAg
8:53p, 1/12/24
Holy **** in and out
AG@RICE
11:10p, 1/12/24
In reply to Ags #1
I really liked Bullard. He was a little cheesy at times, but I thought he did a good job.

I don't really care for Hollins. He is a bit too cartoony and over the top at times. I also don't think he provides useful or insightful analysis. He is still better than Drexler though. He was the worst.

Side broadcasting note: I'm really not a fan of the current sideline reporter girl either. I feel like we've been slowly going down hill since Julia moved to the studio (in terms of ability and looks). Seems like we could easily do better in that position given the amount of former female college athletes we have in this state.
HotardRat
11:35p, 1/12/24
In reply to AG@RICE
I miss Cayleigh Griffin….for obvious reasons.
The Porkchop Express
10:49a, 1/13/24
Udoka returns to Boston tonight. Nice test vs #1 team in the league right now (29-9)
RebAg13
10:51a, 1/13/24
Schedule loss tonight.
HotardRat
11:14a, 1/13/24
No Dillon + no Tari = no fun
WES2006AG
12:53p, 1/13/24
In reply to RebAg13
RebAg13 said:

Schedule loss tonight.
Yep, wish this back to back had the opponents reversed.
Guitarsoup
5:34p, 1/13/24

I know everyone on this board has this on their calendar
Guitarsoup
12:08p, 1/20/24
Houston was unabashed in its desire to get out of the basement over the summer, and the near-.500 record at the near-halfway mark is evidence that it has worked. Replacing it, however, is the dreaded middle ground. No longer will high draft picks such as Jalen Green, Jabari Smith Jr and Amen Thompson just appear on the annual horizon. Now, it gets tougher for the Rockets to move in any direction.
Nonetheless, the overall direction, difficult road trips notwithstanding, is upwards. By virtue of both the James Harden and Chris Paul trades of the distant past, the Rockets' future draft pick situation is confusing and muddled, but broadly profitable by this stage. That, combined with the aforementioned trio plus the talented Alperen Sengun in the middle and the young forward duo of Cam Whitmore and Tari Eason, sees the Rockets still have plenty of room for internal growth. It is OK to be in the middle ground as long as the direction of travel is ahead.
Those moves, though, have put the Rockets in something of a state of flux. Players such as Jeff Green, Victor Oladipo, Jae'Sean Tate, Aaron Holiday, Boban Marjanovic and Reggie Bullock stand at odds with the predominant timeline without providing all that much in the present and should be considered available, but because they do not provide much in the present, their value may be slim to none.
When viewed in purely financial terms, however, mid-level trade opportunities can be seen. Oladipo's $9.45 million contract is expiring, and Green's $9.6 million team option can be declined to make his expiring too. Those two plus some combination of the myriad outstanding picks could be made into a package for a decent-if-not-needle-moving upgrade, such as the sort that Brooks was back in the summer.
It is therefore not a surprise to see Houston's name attached to Harrison Barnes of the Sacramento Kings as a potential target. That sort of salary and that sort of player is the sort of deal that the Rockets can make.

Unemployed
9:41p, 1/20/24
Jalen Green sucks.
superaggie73
9:56p, 1/20/24
In reply to Unemployed
Unemployed said:

Jalen Green sucks.

Whitmore passed him up tonight on depth chart at the 2
Aggie09Derek
11:36p, 1/20/24
This team is fun
The Porkchop Express
10:40a, 1/21/24
Could do a documentary on last night's game called How to Try to Lose a Game 15 different ways without losing.

2 points in the last 4 minutes of regulation

Get three-pointer blocked down 3 with 1:09 to play

Miss a free thorw up 1 point in OT with 36 seconds left

Miss two free throws up 1 point in OT with 8 seconds left

Give their best scorer an open look in the lane with 2 seconds left in the game.

Sengun contiunues to amaze with his work ethic inside. 37 and 14 and 6. Smith with one of his best games - 24 and 10. Cam Whitmore explodes off the bench with 17 points and 5 rebounds.

Boston at Toyota Center tonight, a chance to make up for that embarassment in Beantown.
AG@RICE
11:44a, 1/21/24
It was interesting how Ime used the offensive/defensive subs last night. Several times he left Cam in on both ends and swapped Jalen (offensive) for Amen (defensive).

The rookies are starting to overtake Jalen on both ends. JG definitely plays hard, but his shot is too inconsistent and his instincts are still too dull. Instead of being frustrated with him, I'm just going to lower my expectations. He could eventually become a good player off the bench, but he is just keeping the starting spot warm this season. I think both Cam and Amen need time, so I don't think we need to rush them into the starting line up. One of them or Tari will eventually take Jalen's starting spot when they are ready/healthy.

I don't have much hope for tonight. It looked like Jabari rolled his ankle at the end of regulation. He might be out for a few.
superaggie73
11:56a, 1/21/24
In reply to AG@RICE
AG@RICE said:

It was interesting how Ime used the offensive/defensive subs last night. Several times he left Cam in on both ends and swapped Jalen (offensive) for Amen (defensive).

The rookies are starting to overtake Jalen on both ends. JG definitely plays hard, but his shot is too inconsistent and his instincts are still too dull. Instead of being frustrated with him, I'm just going to lower my expectations. He could eventually become a good player off the bench, but he is just keeping the starting spot warm this season. I think both Cam and Amen need time, so I don't think we need to rush them into the starting line up. One of them or Tari will eventually take Jalen's starting spot when they are ready/healthy.

I don't have much hope for tonight. It looked like Jabari rolled his ankle at the end of regulation. He might be out for a few.

I agree completely and think Jalen would make a great scorer on the bench. Kind of a Lou Williams like role. He doesn't play good enough defense or team offense to be in a starter role. I think next year's starting 5 are Van Vleet-Cam-Brooks-Jabari-Sengun. Not bad at all with Amen, Green, and Eason as a great bench trio.
Poot
4:11p, 1/21/24
I agree. JG's role could/should be a super scorer off the bench… at least for now.
The Porkchop Express
7:54p, 1/22/24
Appears Embiid is giving Wemby a proper Big Boy League welcome tonight.

56 points and 15 rebounds with 1 minute to play in the 3rd quarter
The Porkchop Express
8:30p, 1/22/24
Embiid finishes with 70. Most ever by a 76er.
Aggie09Derek
8:42p, 1/22/24
B-Rabbit
9:28p, 1/24/24
Hope none of y'all are watching this one.
Phrasing
9:28p, 1/24/24
What a kick in the nuts. Damn.
Aggie09Derek
9:29p, 1/24/24
Sigh
WES2006AG
9:33p, 1/24/24
This turned into a pretty raunchy loss
Guitarsoup
1:00p, 1/26/24
Only Texas team in the article