************* Houston Rockets 23-24 Season thread ****************
55,997 Views | 639 Replies
Unemployed
9:18a, 2/13/24
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/39516141/rockets-win-foul-not-called

Got the W so don't care. The Knicks can EAD.
HotardRat
11:02a, 2/15/24

Jalen confirmed soft, he's not it.
WES2006AG
11:08a, 2/15/24
In reply to HotardRat
Jalen's career is at an inflection point right now. How he responds going forward will determine if he is a top talent in this league or not. I have a feeling he sulks about being benched and gets even worse but who knows.
HotardRat
11:12a, 2/15/24
In reply to WES2006AG
To me it's quite clear that he doesn't have the Anthony Edwards type of personality that says "I'm gonna get this **** done, no matter what."
AG@RICE
4:54p, 2/15/24
Jabari's 3pt shooting since his injury has been absolutely trash. He took 6 last night and none of them looked good out of his hand. He is either still injured or his form is completely messed up.

I wish he would skip the stupid rookie/sophomore games during the all-star break. Nobody cares about it and he needs to spend his time getting stronger.
Unemployed
8:07p, 2/15/24
In reply to HotardRat
HotardRat said:

Jalen confirmed soft, he's not it.
He wants to play like James Harden but with half the talent.
Head Ninja In Charge
9:33p, 2/15/24
Jalen's ceiling is a less athletic Zach LaVine. Cam has All-NBA potential. I don't think Jalen has that. Quality starter and possible All-Star is it. He's been relatively healthy in 2.5 seasons so the sample is there, but there is nothing especially unique about his game or irreplaceable about his intangibles in that sample that says to me he'll be the guy. A moveable piece.
AG@RICE
9:24a, 2/16/24
In reply to Head Ninja In Charge
Levine is a 38% 3pt fg shooter for his career. He once shot over 40% on 8 attempts per game. Jalen isn't going to come close to that...

At this point his ceiling feels like Gerald green.
Guitarsoup
9:48a, 2/16/24
In reply to AG@RICE
AG@RICE said:

Levine is a 38% 3pt fg shooter for his career. He once shot over 40% on 8 attempts per game. Jalen isn't going to come close to that...

Gerald Green is ridiculous. Jalen put up 22ppg last year.

I think the ideal role for him is a Jamal Crawford or Sweet Lou Williams. Jamal and Lou COULD have scored 22PPG on a bad team with high usage, but their best role was a 25mpg instant offense off the bench. Having a guy like that is super important for a championship team, but I don't know if Green's ego can handle that.
mAgnoliAg
9:50a, 2/16/24
In reply to Guitarsoup
Guitarsoup said:

AG@RICE said:

Gerald Green is ridiculous. Jalen put up 22ppg last year.

I think the ideal role for him is a Jamal Crawford or Sweet Lou Williams. Jamal and Lou COULD have scored 22PPG on a bad team with high usage, but their best role was a 25mpg instant offense off the bench. Having a guy like that is super important for a championship team, but I don't know if Green's ego can handle that.

This
Guitarsoup
9:53a, 2/16/24
In reply to mAgnoliAg
You aren't supposed to admit publicly you agree with me.
AG@RICE
10:43a, 2/16/24
In reply to Guitarsoup
I think Green is being ruined by our approach. His 22pg last year were a mirage. He didn't earn those points by being a good player, he was gifted them because of his "potential". He is one of the least efficient shooters in the NBA and has shown zero growth this year. In fact, he looks to have taken a step or two backwards. He is basically the poster child for "inefficient high-volume chuckers". At this point in his career, he really only deserves 15-20 minutes a game, but we are force feeding him >30. I honestly think you'd get the same exact production if you played Nate Williams in those minutes.

Crawford and Sweet Lou started their nba lives as a bench player and didn't really hit their peak until the age of 28/29 on their 3rd or 4th team. They both had a way more humble start to their careers before embracing their true NBA role. I don't think Jalen is going to learn that lesson. The kid honestly believes he is Kobe (who also started his life on the bench), despite being one of the worst defenders in the league. He has the basketball awareness of a low-end prospect. The Rockets aren't helping the situation by coddling him either. He needs to be benched, and if he doesn't react positively its a clear sign he will never reach his potential. Also, if he does turn out to be crawford or sweet lou, it will be for his 3rd or 4th team, so there really isn't a reason to force feed him minutes.

If Tari ever gets healthy, he should immediately displaced Green in the starting lineup. In fact, all of this attention on Green might be the perfect situation to allow Tari to properly develop.
Guitarsoup
3:16p, 2/16/24
In reply to AG@RICE

Quote:

I think Green is being ruined by our approach. His 22pg last year were a mirage. He didn't earn those points by being a good player, he was gifted them because of his "potential". He is one of the least efficient shooters in the NBA and has shown zero growth this year. In fact, he looks to have taken a step or two backwards. He is basically the poster child for "inefficient high-volume chuckers". At this point in his career, he really only deserves 15-20 minutes a game, but we are force feeding him >30. I honestly think you'd get the same exact production if you played Nate Williams in those minutes.

I don't think he is ruined, but Silas didn't help. I think it comes down to attitude. Almost completely washed Klay Thompson came off the bench last night and scored 35 in 28 minutes for GSW.

Quote:

Crawford and Sweet Lou started their nba lives as a bench player and didn't really hit their peak until the age of 28/29 on their 3rd or 4th team. They both had a way more humble start to their careers before embracing their true NBA role. I don't think Jalen is going to learn that lesson. The kid honestly believes he is Kobe (who also started his life on the bench), despite being one of the worst defenders in the league. He has the basketball awareness of a low-end prospect. The Rockets aren't helping the situation by coddling him either. He needs to be benched, and if he doesn't react positively its a clear sign he will never reach his potential. Also, if he does turn out to be crawford or sweet lou, it will be for his 3rd or 4th team, so there really isn't a reason to force feed him minutes.

I still think it comes down to attitude. Jason Terry was a starter his first 7 seasons, then Dallas made him 6MOY and won a title with him. He wasn't washed - he was in his prime, but he was just a more valuable player that way and Dallas won a title like that. Terry was top 3 in 6MOY voting for 5 straight years. Eric Gordon was a starter every year until he signed with Houston, then won 6MOY. Antawn Jamison, Lamar Odom, Malcolm Brogdon, and Manu Ginobili were all multi-year starters before agreeing to come off the bench and becoming a 6MOY.

Green has to be willing to take that role. He may think he is Kobe, but he isn't. Certain players just play a great role in that, and when green is hot, he is ideal in that type of role.

Quote:

If Tari ever gets healthy, he should immediately displaced Green in the starting lineup. In fact, all of this attention on Green might be the perfect situation to allow Tari to properly develop.

The Porkchop Express
7:52a, 2/22/24
Pour one out for a legendary 1980s Rocket and a really class act.
Bobby Joe Reid went home to be with the Lord on February 19th at age 68. Among other things, I remember Reid for having to go head to head vs. Larry Bird in the Rockets' two FInals appearances in the 80s.

WES2006AG
9:47p, 2/23/24
Nice win. Felt like we needed something good to happen.
AG@RICE
6:59a, 2/24/24
Swapping Amen into the starting lineup for Jalen Green feels inevitable.
Ridgeback85
10:51p, 2/27/24
OKC uniforms remind me of laundry detergent. It looks like they should say "Tide" across the front.
Ags #1
10:52p, 2/27/24
Have to trade green this off season. Unless he changes
Ridgeback85
11:05p, 2/27/24
In reply to Ags #1
Ags #1 said:

Have to trade green this off season. Unless he changes

He is a good basketball player but he is not a competitor.
Ags #1
11:32p, 2/27/24
In reply to Ridgeback85
Yeah so trade him? I mean he sure seems to be who he is at this point
Ridgeback85
7:55a, 2/28/24
In reply to Ags #1
Ags #1 said:

Yeah so trade him? I mean he sure seems to be who he is at this point

Yes. Trade him but do it while he has some value.
Guitarsoup
8:00a, 2/28/24
It's crazy that Green's FG% and 3pt% has declined 3 straight years.
AG@RICE
7:30p, 2/28/24
He has already lost a ton of value. Anyone who trades for him now will be looking to buy low. We probably won't get a meaningful return for him, so the best outcome might be to readjust our internal expectations for his role on the team.

I've said it a billion times, but they desperately need to move him to the bench. Its insane that he hasn't played a single game in his career off the bench given his poor fundamentals. The Rockets need to give him the opportunity to actually EARN his minutes. They won't know if he has a "winner's mentality" unless they put some adversity in his path. He also won't become a better (more efficient) player until he learns how to cherish his opportunities.

Likewise, the team cannot grow if we keep pretending like he is going to magically morph into Kobe Bryant. We need our first unit to establish a clear defensive identity, which we can't do with both Green and Sengun on the floor. Amen (or Tari when healthy) really should be starting if Udoka is serious about changing the culture of the team.

Udoka has actually played Amen more minutes per game than Jalen this month (28.5 vs 27.9) due to Fred's injury. He just needs to be brave enough to make the right decision to bench Jalen.
Ags #1
10:36p, 2/29/24
Will be interesting to see what they do with the roster in the off season. Plus 2 high draft picks coming in. Edit I guess okc gets our pick unless it's top 4
TREX01
7:24a, 3/1/24
In reply to AG@RICE
AG@RICE said:

He has already lost a ton of value. Anyone who trades for him now will be looking to buy low. We probably won't get a meaningful return for him, so the best outcome might be to readjust our internal expectations for his role on the team.

I've said it a billion times, but they desperately need to move him to the bench. Its insane that he hasn't played a single game in his career off the bench given his poor fundamentals. The Rockets need to give him the opportunity to actually EARN his minutes. They won't know if he has a "winner's mentality" unless they put some adversity in his path. He also won't become a better (more efficient) player until he learns how to cherish his opportunities.

Likewise, the team cannot grow if we keep pretending like he is going to magically morph into Kobe Bryant. We need our first unit to establish a clear defensive identity, which we can't do with both Green and Sengun on the floor. Amen (or Tari when healthy) really should be starting if Udoka is serious about changing the culture of the team.

Udoka has actually played Amen more minutes per game than Jalen this month (28.5 vs 27.9) due to Fred's injury. He just needs to be brave enough to make the right decision to bench Jalen.

This is all fine and dandy but the team adjusting their expectations only goes as far as his attitude. He has already said he isn't a bench guy. He doesn't try hard, except for when he wants to on occasion. You have to trade him and remove the cancer. Only then can the rest grow.
Guitarsoup
8:39a, 3/1/24
CP3 talking about how awful Daryl Morey is

CFTXAG10
9:05a, 3/1/24
In reply to Guitarsoup
The bit about his personality doesn't surprise me in the slightest
Guitarsoup
9:29a, 3/1/24
In reply to CFTXAG10
CFTXAG10 said:

The bit about his personality doesn't surprise me in the slightest

This summer will be interesting to watch because the only player in Philly with a guaranteed contact is the injury prone Embiid.

How much do players trust Morey?
AG@RICE
9:36a, 3/1/24
In reply to TREX01
Maybe he isn't a cancer, but an ingrown toenail. It seems all painful and angry, but if you just cut it back everything will be fine.
Ags #1
12:32a, 3/3/24
Another guy who seems injury prone imo. Not built for the nba. Package him and jalen for luka

Tari Eason is going to have surgery on Monday, per Ime Udoka.

There was a benign growth on his lower leg bone that Coach says was pre-existing, but flared up due to getting hit.

Out for four months.
Guitarsoup
7:36a, 3/3/24
Love Green getting Beal ejected.

WES2006AG
9:23a, 3/3/24
Nice to see Jalen with a little fire.
Guitarsoup
10:07a, 3/3/24
In reply to WES2006AG
WES2006AG said:

Nice to see Jalen with a little fire.

Being mentored by Brooks?

Beal should be suspended imo.

Sun's probably welcome that because then they don't have to give him as much money for that overpaid stiff
Ryan34
9:38p, 3/5/24
Sengun
Unemployed
9:41p, 3/5/24
In reply to Ryan34
Ryan34 said:

Sengun
Holy sht what a pass.

https://streamable.com/wxgfsd

The Turkish Dream shake.

https://streamable.com/tyzxem