************* Houston Rockets 23-24 Season thread ****************
56,004 Views | 639 Replies
CFTXAG10
8:31a, 11/7/23
In reply to canadiaggie
canadiaggie said:

Was Silas just a really bad coach? I get that Udoka has more to work with in FVV and Brooks but still
Udoka's system just gets more out of guys and looks to be much more efficient. Silas, at times, looked like he had us playing pick-up at the local rec center
The Porkchop Express
9:28a, 11/7/23
I expect them to lose a whole lot, but just playing good basketball, making the extra pass, and hustling on defense is going to win back my fandom.
CFTXAG10
9:32a, 11/7/23
In reply to The Porkchop Express
The Porkchop Express said:

I expect them to lose a whole lot, but just playing good basketball, making the extra pass, and hustling on defense is going to win back my fandom.
Yep. 100%. Last year was the first time in many many years that I did not attend at least one game in person. I am excited to get to TC soon to watch this team.
Harry Dunne
8:25p, 11/7/23

Guitarsoup said:

Ags #1 said:

Uh oh thats the gs bat signal

Oh I don't care. Spurs aren't going to make the playoffs and that was a fantastic block

maca1028
12:29p, 11/8/23
Taking my son to the game tonight. I haven't been since the McHale days.
WES2006AG
1:26p, 11/8/23
In reply to maca1028
maca1028 said:

Taking my son to the game tonight. I haven't been since the McHale days.
Solid call skipping the entire Silas era.
AG@RICE
5:37p, 11/8/23
In reply to WES2006AG
Bickerstaff years were rough too, but Coach Pringles was solid.
WES2006AG
5:43p, 11/8/23
In reply to AG@RICE
Yea, that 17-18 team was a blast and so close to the ultimate prize.
WES2006AG
7:52p, 11/8/23
Debuting the city edition jerseys tonight. They look good.
HotardRat
8:01p, 11/8/23
Our defense is awesome
RebAg13
8:16p, 11/8/23
What a half
WES2006AG
8:18p, 11/8/23
Another great half.
Jaydoug
8:20p, 11/8/23
Dunksternaut
Ryan34
8:23p, 11/8/23
Are the Rockets actually good?
The D
8:33p, 11/8/23
It's nice not having a scrub as head coach
Johnsy3
8:49p, 11/8/23

Everyone showing out tonight
WES2006AG
8:57p, 11/8/23
Very encouraging to see Jalen playing well
3B Paul 97
9:04p, 11/8/23
In reply to Johnsy3
Johnsy3 said:

I just saw LeBron in a court side seat.
Unemployed
9:13p, 11/8/23
In reply to 3B Paul 97
3B Paul 97 said:

Johnsy3 said:

And one of the celebs is playing now - Boban!!@
CFTXAG10
9:15p, 11/8/23
FVV doing a great job facilitating. This is fun
PoppaB05
9:32p, 11/8/23
I'm not sure I'm prepared to live in a world where both the Texans and Rockets aren't dumpster fires
Jackal99
9:37p, 11/8/23
In reply to 3B Paul 97
3B Paul 97 said:

Johnsy3 said:

Okay, that's funny.
Poot
9:50p, 11/8/23
Players playing with purpose… so refreshing.
The Porkchop Express
9:54p, 11/8/23
Checked my phone at the grocery store and my jaw dropped to see us up 58-36.
In years past, that lead would have evaporated by the start of the 4th quarter.

Phenomenal to see a good defense at work and what it can give you on offense - easy buckets, wide open looks, guys on the other team dragging ass. Beautiful basketball. I'm sure the Rockets aren't going to win 60 games this year, but this is a heck of a little run early in the year.

I had to look it up, it's the team's first win streak of 4+ games since November/December of 2021 when they won 7 straight after losing 15 straight.

Didn't hurt my feelings to see the Spurs get their asses kicked and Wembey playing like ass either.

As long as the Rockets stay in the playoff picture, I'm posting the damn standings!

Head Ninja In Charge
10:19p, 11/8/23
Feels good, man.
AG@RICE
11:26p, 11/8/23
Not sure what Coach Udoka did on Nov 2nd/3rd, but the guys have been playing incredible D since then. Jalen green is competing on the perimeter, Sengun is boxing out, Jabari is staying grounded and Tate is fouling less. You see tons of great secondary effort and unselfish play. Impressive transformation after that sluggish start.

We've been a bit lucky with injury match ups. We also clearly play better at home, so I'm trying to control my excitement. That said, I don't think you can fluke your way into 3 excellent defensive efforts after 2 years of garbage.

Regardless, I really like this team and I'm incredibly excited to watch the next game, which is a feeling I haven't experienced in a long time.
mAgnoliAg
7:23a, 11/9/23
Holy **** our schedule the next month is brutal. How is that possible?
The Porkchop Express
8:38a, 11/9/23
In reply to mAgnoliAg
mAgnoliAg said:

Part of is in the BS Mid-season tournament. Since we have sucked ass for years, we got put in a murderer's row group with the Pelicans, Clippers, Nuggets, and Mavericks, which means extra games with all 4.
AG@RICE
10:41a, 11/9/23
It might not be that bad. We play 13 straight games against the western conference. Only 5 of those games will be against opponents above us in the standings....and 3 of those are the nuggets.
mAgnoliAg
1:45p, 11/9/23

mAgnoliAg said:

Part of is in the BS Mid-season tournament. Since we have sucked ass for years, we got put in a murderer's row group with the Pelicans, Clippers, Nuggets, and Mavericks, which means extra games with all 4.

Opposite of nfl where the bad teams get easier schedule?
The Porkchop Express
7:27p, 11/9/23
In reply to mAgnoliAg
mAgnoliAg said:

mAgnoliAg said:

Opposite of nfl where the bad teams get easier schedule?
You know I thought about this for a bit today. Obviously, the $500,000 price money is going to motivate players, but it seems like there might be some 4-D chess involved for the bigger prize of the NBA title.

Each team is in a group of 5, which means they play 4 group games. There are 6 groups, and the 6 winners advance to the Knockout rounds, along with 1 wild card from each conference, which is the team with the best record in Group play that finished second in its group. There are a bunch of tie-breakers like point differential and total points.

So then there are quarterfinals, semifinals, and the tournament championship game although for some reason the championship game doesn't count as a regular season game, but the losers of those other games play each other in consolation matchups that are real games.

Meanwhile the other 22 teams that didn't make it play 2 regular season games against other teams that didn't make it.

So my very long winded point is that if you were a team that knew every win really mattered to you getting a good draw in the playoffs, couldn't you conceivably start 3-0 in your group and then tank the last game to miss out on the tournament, ensuring yourself that you'd play 2 not so good teams that also didn't make the tournament instead of 2 other really good teams?

Like say I'm the Pacers. I know Philly, Boston and Milwaukee are all better than me. If I go 3-0 in my group, tank the last game by 50 points to assure I can't be in the Tournament, then get to play Detroit and Charlotte in the other two games, I'm awarding myself 2 wins and maybe a 5-1 stretch instead of getting beat up by the big boys in the tournament.

Just kicking it around.

Harry Dunne
9:22p, 11/9/23
The D
9:19a, 11/10/23
Guitarsoup
12:58p, 11/10/23
In reply to The D
The D said:

That's awesome. Reaves has been dog**** this year. Finally got his FG% to 41% after a few hot nights. Then went 2-9 and 0-4 against the Rockets.
mwm
7:14p, 11/10/23
What did they do to the floor?!?!
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 4 of 19
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE