2023 youth baseball/softball check-in

76,435 Views | 760 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by MW03
lil99chris
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Outside of NITs, Banditos DeLeon are playing in 13u tournaments…thankfully. They have a ton of talent on that team.

https://www.perfectgame.org/PGBA/Team/default.aspx?orgid=29819&orgteamid=194406&Year=2024

By 12u, you should be playing with the age group for your grade. If not, there is likely going to be a difficult transition process.

Probably really aging myself here. Everyone talks about playing with your age group. When I was growing up, I was playing against kids 2-3 older than me in Little League. If you had the talent/skills…you got thrown in with the older kids and had to catch up. I understand wanting kids to shine, but playing against older/bigger kids made me a better player in the long run.
TarponChaser
lil99chris said:

Outside of NITs, Banditos DeLeon are playing in 13u tournaments…thankfully. They have a ton of talent on that team.

https://www.perfectgame.org/PGBA/Team/default.aspx?orgid=29819&orgteamid=194406&Year=2024

By 12u, you should be playing with the age group for your grade. If not, there is likely going to be a difficult transition process.

Probably really aging myself here. Everyone talks about playing with your age group. When I was growing up, I was playing against kids 2-3 older than me in Little League. If you had the talent/skills…you got thrown in with the older kids and had to catch up. I understand wanting kids to shine, but playing against older/bigger kids made me a better player in the long run.

If you're class of '99 you're basically the same age as me.

When I was a kid, all there was was Little League and at 10 you played "majors" with 10, 11, and 12-year old kids on a 46'/60' diamond with 200' fences. 13U was "junior" and you made the jump to 60/90 with minimum 300' fences. 14/15 was "senior league."

There was no select or travel ball then.

Even though my boy is a big kid, playing with older, more physically & mentally mature kids has really helped him grow and improve a lot. Even as big & strong as he is at 6'0" 175 he still has a long way to grow and is just in early puberty. A kid who is a year older and the same size is almost certainly going to be faster, stronger, and more explosive just because they likely are farther along the puberty track. But, they might also be a lot closer to their ceiling.
lil99chris
AG
Yep….you are correct. That was my Little League experience. Going from my last year of pee-wee experience of 9 years olds pitching to Little League majors was a bit crazy now that I think about it. Played against some legit big kids.

I can only imagine the parents complaining about it nowadays.
Cru
S
I'll never forget the feeling or the sound of being drilled in the middle of the back as a 9 year old by a 26 year old looking 12 year old from 50 at 80 mph. Pretty sure I didn't find the value in playing against older ones at that age.
TarponChaser
lil99chris said:

Yep….you are correct. That was my Little League experience. Going from my last year of pee-wee experience of 9 years olds pitching to Little League majors was a bit crazy now that I think about it. Played against some legit big kids.

I can only imagine the parents complaining about it nowadays.

I can vividly recall facing a few 6'2"-6'3" 12-year olds when I was 10. One that I remember never got taller than 6'3" and ended up playing baseball & football at West Point. Another one grew to 6'6" and was a very late-round pick as a lefty pitcher but I don't think he ever got out of rookie ball.

I'm 6'3" but didn't get there until I was 16.
Quito
AG
I think key for my boys will be to gain weight. I'm also 6'3", but weighed 140 lbs my Sr year. I was a very late bloomer and didn't fill out until late college. I know weigh 185 lbs and run or workout 5 days a week. I never lifted a weight until college.
TarponChaser
Quito said:

I think key for my boys will be to gain weight. I'm also 6'3", but weighed 140 lbs my Sr year. I was a very late bloomer and didn't fill out until late college. I know weigh 185 lbs and run or workout 5 days a week. I never lifted a weight until college.
I lifted a lot starting in about 7th or 8th grade and was a gym rat, really until I got married, and before I blew out my knee (the first time) as a HS senior I was 6'3" 260 with a 34" waist, running a 4.8 40, and could stand flat-footed under a regulation basketball goal and jump up and dunk with both hands. I could touch the top of the square with a running start.

We'll see how my youngest grows because he's supposed to end up 6'3" but he doesn't have the frame his older brother has. He's more wiry and I can see him being 6'3" 200-210 when he's a senior in HS.

Our oldest is built like I was before I blew out my knees and got fat. Tall with really broad shoulders, narrow waist, and big butt with big legs. Like I said, he's 6'0" 170-175 right now and is pretty rangy. His wingspan is like 75" right now. And he's supposed to be taller than me and end up 6'4"-6'5". If he gets there I'd expect him to be 225 at the slimmest but definitely want to keep him under 260 in HS. I'd like to see him 6'5" 235-240 as a senior.

But regardless of how they grow, being flexible, explosive, and athletic are paramount.
PhatMack19
AG
How do yall's high schools handle other sports off-season during baseball season?

My best friend's kid is a freshman starting 3rd baseman and hits 5 hole for a solid 5a school. He's a D1 kid.

New football coach comes in and decides to do Spring football. He took a helmet to the elbow yesterday and dislocated it. He done for the season. Playoffs start next week…..
WES2006AG
AG
Football coaches don't think any sport but football exist. If he will be back for fall the football coach doesn't care at all that he is done for the rest of baseball season.
PhatMack19
AG
WES2006AG said:

Football coaches don't think any sport but football exist. If he will be back for fall the football coach doesn't care at all that he is done for the rest of baseball season.

Yep and they wonder why kids quit to specialize. Last year 2 of our better athletes went baseball only in the Fall to go get their scholarships. Them not playing is probably part of the reason the last coach was fired.

Another friend with a kid that will pitch in college at another school. He pitched 100+ pitches Tuesday night. He's also the QB. New coach had him throwing 300+ passes in spring practice on Wednesday.
TarponChaser
We just had an informational meeting last night for football. There were some returning players but it seemed like mostly it was geared towards incoming freshmen like my kid. He's one of several who plays baseball & football. And there are a lot more who play basketball and/or run track and play football.

This is Summer Creek HS, a big 6A program that went to the state championship game in the fall (got shellacked by DeSoto but still a tremendous season- 2 losses on the season, one to eventual state finalist North Shore and in the title game).

The head football coach was very, very clear that he wants his kids playing multiple sports if possible and competing year round. There are a number of kids playing baseball who also play football. One kid was a starting safety on the football team this past year as a junior is also the starting CF and committed to t.u. for baseball. Like, he played football one Friday night and then Saturday morning flew out to play in the WWBA event for PG in Jupiter, Florida which is probably the biggest single event for high level baseball prospects. If you're good enough to play in this event in Jupiter, you're playing baseball after HS if you want to. I don't think there are any other kids at that level though. At least not yet- there will be some in this incoming freshman class.

Anyway, kids playing baseball, even sub-varsity are not expected to take part in spring practice for football unless baseball gets knocked out of the playoffs early enough since spring practice starts tomorrow.
evestor1
since i have had kids (oldest is 10) i have been overloaded with "if they dont specialize they'll never be included in high school"

good line of thinking by that guy.
TarponChaser
evestor1 said:

since i have had kids (oldest is 10) i have been overloaded with "if they dont specialize they'll never be included in high school"

good line of thinking by that guy.

I don't buy into the idea of specializing at all.

My thoughts on those who hew to that line of thinking for their kids are somewhat derogatory. Meaning, I suppose that specializing early on can help a kid at the margins and get them to play HS ball. Maybe.

But from what I've seen personally and what has been communicated to me from both HS and college coaches is that they want athletes and competitors. HS and college baseball coaches often gripe about kids who might be really fundamentally sound but they're not explosive athletes and they don't have the mental or physical toughness they want. I can't even really quantify how much playing football has helped my son with his mental and physical toughness and competitive mindset which translates to baseball too.

Look at QBs like Patrick Mahomes and Connor Weigman- both were big-time baseball prospects too. Johnny Manziel was a helluva baseball player himself. IIRC, all played SS and pitched. And they all talked about how being an athletic thrower from different arm slots at SS helped them improvise and throw from different angles on the football field too.
Bassmaster
AG
You didn't look at that schedule very well. They are signed up for 2 13u events this spring. Everything else is 12u. It is a complete waste of time for them and their opponents, I really don't get it. We have been in several tournaments with them. They dismantle strong major teams. It makes no sense to me.
Bassmaster
AG
PhatMack19 said:

PhatMack19 said:

I was watching the #1- 12u team in the country last night at the NiT in Beaumont. They are unreal. They had the last game and were up 16-0 in the 4th. Their pitcher intentionally balked two times to give up a run. Final was 16-1. That was weird.

I started looking at it. The #3 team in the county would have been on the same side of the bracket without the balks. I guess they didn't want to play them until the championship.

We went back out there to watch the championship between 2 of the best teams in the country. It was intense. Both starters were sitting 80-84 from 50 feet. Very few hits and a lot of strikeouts. Banditos won 2-0 scoring on an E5 and wild pitch. Very good game

The 11major championship game was on the next field. The size difference between the two games was unreal. Those 12's are grown ass men.

The kid on the left is Leyland Henry. He is a 2029 kid who is over 6 feet and 230+ pounds. He played for Elite RBI last year when they were 12u. They rotate with Banditos LLT6 and 1-2 other teams for the top national ranking at any given time. He batted in the 4 hole for them, so it isn't like he wasn't having success. My son played 12u last year as well and we played Elite RBI a couple of times. My son is a 2030 kid who had always played up a year, but this year we are repeating 12u and he's now playing with his grade. He's undersized but was able to compete reasonably well with the class above him. I think it helped him out tremendously. Leyland Henry is also repeating 12u despite being a grown man and a 13u kid by grade. I don't care that his age allows him to play 12u, I don't get the logic in doing that if I'm his parents. I'm not mad at them if it is within the rules, but I don't understand it.
lil99chris
AG
Bassmaster said:

You didn't look at that schedule very well. They are signed up for 2 13u events this spring. Everything else is 12u. It is a complete waste of time for them and their opponents, I really don't get it. We have been in several tournaments with them. They dismantle strong major teams. It makes no sense to me.

…all but one of the 2024 12u tournaments they are playing in are NITs. Are you wanting the Banditos to not play in NITs for their age? These tournaments bring in nationally ranked teams.

Like I mentioned earlier, if they are 2029 kids playing in 12u……it is silly. There is nothing to really gain for a 2029 kid with that level of physical talent to play in 12u.
Bassmaster
AG
Their run differential in the Baton Rouge NIT was 112-3. The Kyle NIT only has 16 teams and they are all from Texas. There is 1 team signed up who may be able to hang with them. So no, I don't understand the point of playing most 12u NITs for them. The Houston NIT in March, fine. A lot of nationally ranked teams there. The May NIT in Houston doesn't bring all of the national teams though.
TarponChaser
Bassmaster said:

PhatMack19 said:

PhatMack19 said:

I was watching the #1- 12u team in the country last night at the NiT in Beaumont. They are unreal. They had the last game and were up 16-0 in the 4th. Their pitcher intentionally balked two times to give up a run. Final was 16-1. That was weird.

I started looking at it. The #3 team in the county would have been on the same side of the bracket without the balks. I guess they didn't want to play them until the championship.

We went back out there to watch the championship between 2 of the best teams in the country. It was intense. Both starters were sitting 80-84 from 50 feet. Very few hits and a lot of strikeouts. Banditos won 2-0 scoring on an E5 and wild pitch. Very good game

The 11major championship game was on the next field. The size difference between the two games was unreal. Those 12's are grown ass men.

The kid on the left is Leyland Henry. He is a 2029 kid who is over 6 feet and 230+ pounds. He played for Elite RBI last year when they were 12u. They rotate with Banditos LLT6 and 1-2 other teams for the top national ranking at any given time. He batted in the 4 hole for them, so it isn't like he wasn't having success. My son played 12u last year as well and we played Elite RBI a couple of times. My son is a 2030 kid who had always played up a year, but this year we are repeating 12u and he's now playing with his grade. He's undersized but was able to compete reasonably well with the class above him. I think it helped him out tremendously. Leyland Henry is also repeating 12u despite being a grown man and a 13u kid by grade. I don't care that his age allows him to play 12u, I don't get the logic in doing that if I'm his parents. I'm not mad at them if it is within the rules, but I don't understand it.

I know Leyland and his dad a bit. He's supposed to go to Summer Creek and from the way they've talked they might homeschool him for a year and reclassify to 2030. They're nice folks. His dad played RB with Aaron Rodgers in juco.

And while he doesn't have to get any taller to be a baseball stud I wonder if he's done growing. His dad is only about 5'8" and mama is probably the same. He's huge and strong now but if he doesn't get any taller he's going to need to drop the baby fat and replace it with muscle. He can do it for sure but it's just more evidence of how lopsided the playing field can get from 12-14 when the boys mature and go through puberty at different times.
FrioAg 00
AG
The biggest difference in most of the "elite" athletes at 12 to 15 year old is WHEN they hit puberty and their growth spurts. It's just a huge difference at that point, and of course it gets neutralized from 15 to 16.

I would bet 75% of the "stand outs" I've observed, at most sports, from the ages of 12-15 end up being JAGs by 16 when everyone is full grown.

If anything, the early physical advantages tend to lead to bad habits that they can't break when they reach manhood.
Cru
S
So I can't really find a clearly defined rule on this.

Can someone help me out?

My kid throws with both hands. We're soon to enter kid pitch. I understand he has to declare before each batter which hand he'll pitch with. What I can't find is if he has to also use that hand for pick off attempts. I assume so, but wanted to find the rule calling this out.

Any help?
TarponChaser
Cru said:

So I can't really find a clearly defined rule on this.

Can someone help me out?

My kid throws with both hands. We're soon to enter kid pitch. I understand he has to declare before each batter which hand he'll pitch with. What I can't find is if he has to also use that hand for pick off attempts. I assume so, but wanted to find the rule calling this out.

Any help?
You mean, like if he declares to pitch lefty before a hitter does he have to throw to first with his left hand in a pickoff move?

I would think so. At least once he's on the rubber because I can't think of a way to set up lefty, engage the rubber, and throw with his right hand without it being a balk.
Cru
S
No advantage to a lefty throwing to 1st with his right. More so, I think the advantage would be to declare lefty for the at bat, but with a runner on 2nd pick with his right. Assume for this a slight of hand with an ambidextrous glove.
TarponChaser
Cru said:

No advantage to a lefty throwing to 1st with his right. More so, I think the advantage would be to declare lefty for the at bat, but with a runner on 2nd pick with his right. Assume for this a slight of hand with an ambidextrous glove.

But if he's engaged with the rubber and takes the glove off to make the throw with the declared glove hand I'd think that move would be a balk.
Cru
S
That's what I figured, I just can't find anything in the rule book on it.

Rules for this kind of player are few and far between. Sucks.

Also sucks that inning/ pitch counts apply to the player, not the arm.
agsalaska
AG
They are. It going to have rules for ambidextrous pitchers.

Sorry. Awesome that your son is doing that but we don't have rules for that. I'm actually really curious to see what happens.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
MW03
AG
Not sure where to put this, but I wanted to share in case there were parents out there with kids just learning the game. In particular, i want to give some tips that might helps you teach your kid how to hit in a one-on-one setting. These are aimed at brand new players, not your select crews or experienced little dudes, so keep that in mind.

Picking out a bat.
You don't need a $200 bat. You probably don't need a $100 bat, but it's hard to find one for much cheaper. Make sure your player can old it out at arm's length without a problem. If they waiver too much, it's probably too heavy. Depending on the size of your kiddo, anything in the 24 to 26, -10 to -12 is probably going to work. Make sure the kiddo likes the color and thinks it is cool. That'll get you halfway there when it comes to practice.

Buy a tee.
I don't care if your kid is in tee ball, coach pitch, or kid pitch, get them a tee. Tee work is the only way to teach swing plane. It's the best way to work on weight transfer. Good players from youth and into the pros train on tees for a reason. I like the Tanner Tee. Yes, it is 3x as expensive as the plastic Franklin youth tee you can get everywhere, but it'll last 10 times as long, especially with a young player that is learning and probably prone to smashing the thing. Invest here and it'll last you years.

Buy a hitting/pitching net.
Get a practice net. You don't need anything overly fancy, but pick something with a pocket. The pocket helps minimize bounce back and makes collection after the fact much easier. It'll double later on when you're working on pitching/throwing. Having a net and a tee also opens up the possibility for solo practice. I like this model by Go Sports.

With a bat, a tee, and a net, you can practice pretty much anywhere, no matter your space limitations. Hell, you could probably run these drills in an apartment if you had to. You don't need a cage and an l-screen to practice hitting.

Now onto some starter drills...

These are my go-to tee drills, and the order in which I do them. Personally, I believe these drills work for pretty much any age, but they are very effective and teaching young guys how to swing with more than their arms. I use alliteration/rhyming a lot with kids to help them remember things. It makes reminders easier as well. "Spring and swing, buddy!"

#1 Hip hitting
This is a great drill to teach hip firing and rotation to a young kiddo. Get the tee set up with the ball about waist high on the player. I tell my kiddo to make a triangle with the ball and each foot making the points. Put them in an athletic position. Feet shoulder width apart, knees slightly bent, weight on the balls of the the feet. The player then holds the bat in front of them across their waist, hands spread apart with their palms towards their body. Without moving their arms, I have the player rotate back and swing through the ball using only their hips to twist through the ball. Have them try and hit it as hard as they can, getting the barrel on the ball. Eventually, we'll move to a PVC pipe with this drill held across the chest when the focus is more on swing plane and tilt.

#2 Wind the spring and swing
This one is about getting into that launch position. Make the triangle and then get back into the athletic position. Now we bring the bat up. Bend at the waist and stick your rear out. Back elbow up. Now we wind the spring by pulling the bat back behind them and up off the shoulder. Have them hold that position and feel the stretch. They hold until I say "fire" and then they swing from that spot. No weight transfer, no step. This is purely a launch drill. What I want to see is the bat in a good position with a stretch, the motion to start with the hips firing, and the arms following through the ball.

#3 Stand tall and step into the ball
This drill adds weight transfer. I have them make the triangle, then draw the lead foot back so they are standing feet together. This is a tall stance. The bat is up, but the "spring hasn't been wound." When I say go, they take a slide step with that lead foot back into the triangle. That foot is their trigger. When it lands, they replicate the launch position and swing through the ball. When it's perfect, the step starts but the back stays back, getting you the "wound spring" position. When the foot lands, the hips fire and the hands follow.

I've also heard this called the "Griffey Drill" because that's how he hit. Tall and to the ball.

We'll do 10-20 swings on each drill before we move to soft toss or live pitching, depending on the kiddo's attitude.

The more you run these, the more you can tweak. I like to have my guy swinging with a purpose and up on the ball. Keep it in that swing plane as long as possible. Helps a ton with timing too off live pitching.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.