***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

799,128 Views | 17413 Replies | Last: 24 min ago by BudFox7
Beau Holder
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
htxag09 said:

Beat40 said:

superaggie73 said:

tjack16 said:

If we don't make the playoffs, I can't imagine how Espada and Brown survive this season. Especially if we finish below .500

Espada I get, but Brown has been hamstrung by Crane. Crane signed Montero and Abreu before even hiring Brown. Crane wanted Hader. Crane would never let an Abreu replacement be brought in this offseason. Wtf is Brown supposed to do?

Why would you get rid of Espada when almost the same exact team was one win away from going to the WS?

He's just as hamstrung by Crane as Brown is. Those guys Crane really wanted are the guys he has to play.

Many said anyone could have managed the Astros to the WS these past couple of years. Maybe Baker is owed an apology or more of the blame needs to be on the players.

I feel like you and me see this differently. Not saying to fire espada, but I believe the fact that this is a WS caliber roster that keeps tripping over their own dicks is even more of a strike against espada. Not like he's getting the most out of them….

Bregman sucks.
Abreu is a walking corpse.
Chas is a pumpkin.
Pena has never again shown 2022 postseason form.
Yordan's lulls are un-overcomeable.
The entire rotation is hurt.
The WS caliber bullpen was built by a GM since let go and most of those relievers are gone too. The ones who are left are suddenly gas cans.

There are three, maybe four guys on the entire roster who hit semi-regularly and they're never all going at the same time. What part of this is a WS caliber roster? These guys are aging, devoid of life, and rudderless. They're professionals who plain suck. I blame them. And I blame Crane and Dana. Whoever let it get to this point.

Bregman needs to hit 6th starting f'ing tomorrow. And Abreu needs to be out of the lineup entirely. Maybe I can blame Espada for those two things. Or maybe the FO is meddling with that too.
1876er
AG
tjack16 said:

1876er said:

This team blows. This is for all the geniuses that couldn't wait to get rid of Dusty.

This team would be 4-9 with Dusty too. Except Dusty would still be batting Abreu 5th and Tucker 6th

Do you still think Dusty would be 7-17?
Mr.Bond
AG
1876er said:

tjack16 said:

1876er said:

This team blows. This is for all the geniuses that couldn't wait to get rid of Dusty.

This team would be 4-9 with Dusty too. Except Dusty would still be batting Abreu 5th and Tucker 6th

Yes. Joe didn't blow the 6 saves
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

tjack16
AG
1876er said:

tjack16 said:

1876er said:

Yep. It's on the players. Not the manager's fault that Brown, France, Hader, Pressly, Bregman and Jose Abreu all forgot to show up this season
EastCoastAgNc
AG
I remember last year when the Cardinals kept sucking that it eventually came out that Wilson Contreras was wretched at planning for and calling games. He was replacing Molina, which was of course a massive hole to fill, and it was quite an obvious downgrade. I'm by no means a Maldy truther, but I do wonder if some of the pitching woes come down to the guy calling the game behind the plate.
cc10106
2016 Astros also started 7-17 which is just a coincidence, but this team is digging the same kind of hole for itself.

No matter what happens, Jim Crane better stop pretending he knows how to run a baseball team.
1876er
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

It's a new day and a new opportunity to win a ballgame. Still in the part of the season where a 3-game win streak can turn things around.

If you're a doubter or a hater, let's not forget our past.

On June 1 2005, the staff of the world's dumbest daily newspaper declared the season over at 15-30. The team went 74-43 the rest of the year and made it to the World Series.

LFG

These guys will have to improve quite a bit to get to 15-30
eATMup-Reveille
At what point is it time to unload a lot of players to begin the rebuild? Even if we somehow get to be contenders in the division, is that really enough to believe there's a real chance for a WS Championship? Making the playoffs, ALCS and even the WS is likely not enough when we've seen the top of the hill twice.
GigEM96
EastCoastAgNc said:

I remember last year when the Cardinals kept sucking that it eventually came out that Wilson Contreras was wretched at planning for and calling games. He was replacing Molina, which was of course a massive hole to fill, and it was quite an obvious downgrade. I'm by no means a Maldy truther, but I do wonder if some of the pitching woes come down to the guy calling the game behind the plate.

Problem is the Astros have had six starts this season in which the starting pitcher gave up more than 3 runs.

I can buy that Diaz needs improvement with later inning calls and managing relievers

But he and the starters at least have done well, and two of those bad starts were with rookie pitchers including the sacrificial lamb called up from Corpus.
1876er
AG
cc10106 said:

2016 Astros also started 7-17 which is just a coincidence, but this team is digging the same kind of hole for itself.

No matter what happens, Jim Crane better stop pretending he knows how to run a baseball team.

The 2016 team had a bunch of young guys before their prime. This team has multiple veteran former MVP candidates
AustinCountyAg
What a time to be an Astros fan. The only thing that would makes this crap season better were if ticket prices were like they were back in the super rough years.

I don't even know what to think anymore with this team. One thing for certain is our rotation is pure crap right now with all the injuries. Even if the hitters caught fire I'm not sure it would matter with the guys who we have starting on the mound.
cc10106
1876er said:

cc10106 said:

The 2016 team had a bunch of young guys before their prime. This team has multiple veteran former MVP candidates

Ya don't say?
1876er
AG
Why is it forbidden to say Espada may not be a good manager? He took over a team that made the ALCS and is now one of the worst teams in all of baseball.
The Porkchop Express
tjack16 said:

If we don't make the playoffs, I can't imagine how Espada and Brown survive this season. Especially if we finish below .500
2000 Astros went 72-90 with Dierker and Hunsicker after 3 straight NL Central titles and 84, 102, and 97 wins. Both came back in 2001 and the team went 93-69 and won another division title.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
GigEM96
1876er said:

Why is it forbidden to say Espada may not be a good manager? He took over a team that made the ALCS and is now one of the worst teams in all of baseball.

How'd he make Abreu, Pressly, and Hader suck?

If that trio takes care of business to date Astros could be over .500

DustyBaker
We would be 12-12 if I was still managing. I wouldn't have named Hader the closer without him earning anything. Pressley would have felt supported and pitched better. Hader would be out there trying to earn the closer role. I'd be batting Bregman 2nd, JP 5th, Caratini 6th, Abreu 7th, Pudding, 8th, and Dubie 9th

And you would all have your pitchforks out
Beat40
1876er said:

It isn't forbidden. He may not be, but as far as in-game decisions, I don't think he had made too many errors.

However, I think what most people's point is that this had happened:

1. Bregman is really bad right, Abreu would do better walking up the plate empty handed.
2. Crane wanted Hader, which meant they couldn't resign any of the bullpen from last year. In conjunction, Hader, Pressly, and Abreu, all who have been super reliable these past couple of years have been really bad to start the season
2. JV, Framber injury stints, now Javier.

#1 & 2 are vets and all-stars who aren't performing. Those are the guys you would have leaned on no matter the manager.

#3 is the top of your rotation.

So yeah, Espada might not be a good manager, but given all that's happened above, there hasn't been a fair time to even assess him.
Beau Holder
AG
1876er said:

Don't think anyone is saying it's forbidden. Just saying how can you know after 24 games where your supposedly elite back of the bullpen blew every save, your 2019 MVP runner up is a noodle bat well on his way to the worst contract season in recent memory, your owner gave $19.5M to a guy hitting .063, your all-world slugger isn't hitting home runs (and as a matter of fact literally no one is except … Jake Meyers?), your Springer and Correa replacements are not living up to it, your entire rotation is on the IL, and not a single player in that clubhouse has the stones to be a vocal leader?

It's too ****ed to blame any specific person imo. Except the person at the top who made it that way.
Farmer1906
AG
1876er said:

It's not. It's just kind of nonsensical. Baseball managers don't have that kind of impact. Nothing has stood out of overly foolish.
GigEM96
If I understood it correctly, Click wanted to trade Urquidy for Contreras (or had a deal in place Crane nixed) and Crane shot that down and then disposed of Click after the season, for not being aggressive enough or something. After the team won a title.

Crane went with Brown, a talent evaluator with a very good draft history as GM but at the moment the Astros need a 'wheeler dealer' type GM, someone who can make a move or two to help right the ship.

Silent For Too Long
Farmer1906 said:

1876er said:

It's not. It's just kind of nonsensical. Baseball managers don't have that kind of impact. Nothing has stood out of overly foolish.

This.

It's a perfect storm of **** right now. Injuries and a few key contributors being put out of whack. No GM has a magic wand to fix this.

The only thing that will fix it is time. In time, this team will be much better. The only player who likely won't get right is Abreu.

The only question is will there be enough time? We just need to find a way to scratch and claw Ws while players get right.
PoppaB05
AG
White Sox, Marlins, Rockies , Astros.

Oakland is 2 games better than us.

15% of the season is over.

This is who we are. The Astros leadership has got to stop reacting to losses like we are contenders right there in the thick of it and it will all work itself out. Some changes and sense of urgency has to happen

GigEM96
I mean who's the backup 1B to Singleton? Whoever it is, let's see what they can do.

Montero has earned an increased role at this point.

I've seen enough of Caratini and Dubon for more ABs.

W
AG
someone mentioned the 2004 Astros earlier

Jimy was sacked at the break after starting 44-44

Garner came in and went 48-26
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
My list is growing tonight
GigEM96
The bullpen is the number one reason you are in this hole.

Problem is now starting pitching has become a problem with Javier hitting the shelf, Framber still out, and Brown and France struggling.

Being able to trust Montero more than Abreu, Pressly, and Hader is not what anyone expected at this point.

With the starting pitching issues the bullpen increases in importance. You need to move away from assigned bullpen roles and bring those back end guys earlier into games and do what they're paid and expected to do.

If they continue to suck you're done for at some point. Otherwise you start the climb out now.
The Porkchop Express
The poll results are in!

Q: Who should play 1B for the Astros for the rest of the 2024 season?

54.5% said a fan picked at random 30 minutes before first pitch.
27.3% said Jon Singleton
9.1% said Mike Simms
9.1% said Trevor Bauer

WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
Beat40
W said:

Sure - but he had at least 2 full seasons as the Astros manager prior to that.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
GigEM96 said:

The bullpen is the number one reason you are in this hole.

Problem is now starting pitching has become a problem with Javier hitting the shelf, Framber still out, and Brown and France struggling.

Being able to trust Montero more than Abreu, Pressly, and Hader is not what anyone expected at this point.

With the starting pitching issues the bullpen increases in importance. You need to move away from assigned bullpen roles and bring those back end guys earlier into games and do what they're paid and expected to do.

If they continue to suck you're done for at some point. Otherwise you start the climb out now.

Reason "YOU" are in this hole…

Might this be the oldest existing sock? You went 17years without posting and only lately seem to live on this thread and this thread alone…
Texaggie7nine
Did the Rangers break us last year?
7nine
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Posted in December of 2022, but so appropriate now
GigEM96
Not disagreeing but 2023 A's and Angels a lot better?

Crane firing Click after winning the '22 WS was arrogant.

Not moving one of your controllable starting pitchers to at a minimum replenish the farm a little does feel complacent.

GigEM96
Beat40 said:

W said:

Sure - but he had at least 2 full seasons as the Astros manager prior to that.

Crane will do whatever he feels like, so nothing would surprise me.

However, firing Espada for expecting Abreu, Pressly, and Hader to do their jobs would be unwarranted at this point.

GigEM96
Hopefully hindsight is wrong and the time to move France and/or Brown was not before this season.

First Page Last Page
Page 349 of 498

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.