*****Official Texas Rangers World Series Title Defense Thread***** [Staff Warning]
314,026 Views | 6616 Replies
Tksymm7
3:39p, 4/28/24
We're going to have to finish this game the hard way.
Tksymm7
3:43p, 4/28/24
WHAT AN OUT
shack009
3:55p, 4/28/24
What a play by Semien
Kyle98
3:56p, 4/28/24
Beautiful play Marcus!
shack009
3:59p, 4/28/24
Pitch out worked. Even if they didn't get him the first time, he came off the bag.
beagle2009
3:59p, 4/28/24
What a throw from Jonah
Proposition Joe
4:00p, 4/28/24
Pitch out on 1-0 is ballsy as hell.

Looks like he is going to be safe. Umpire right there seems to think he came off the bag though.
sburg2007
4:00p, 4/28/24
Safe
Tksymm7
4:02p, 4/28/24
Should probably be safe.
Coppell97
4:03p, 4/28/24
Looked like right hand popped off and glove was close to there.
Kyle98
4:03p, 4/28/24
It looked like he came off slightly, but Seager didn't have the tag on when he did.
94chem
4:04p, 4/28/24
In reply to Tksymm7
Tksymm7 said:

Should probably be safe.

Enough to overturn? Don't think so.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Tksymm7
4:04p, 4/28/24
In reply to 94chem
I thought it was pretty clear his left hand got there first.
Coppell97
4:05p, 4/28/24
Agreed. If have to look at the play that long. And ump clearly called him out once right hand popped off. Don't think you can overturn.
Proposition Joe
4:05p, 4/28/24
Left hand definitely got in, question was whether he came off and apparently the views they had confirmed he didn't because ump right there sure thought he might have.

Fault there would have to be on Yates. Didn't keep him close enough and took too long to get to the plate.
Tksymm7
4:08p, 4/28/24
Almost threw up.
Ag Since 83
4:08p, 4/28/24

Series win!
Proposition Joe
4:09p, 4/28/24
2 of 3, solid series.
Kyle98
4:10p, 4/28/24
Hello Win Column!
aggietony2010
In reply to Proposition Joe
Proposition Joe said:

2 of 3, solid series.

Much better than last year. I remember getting swept by them and thinking the fun might be over, and we were coming back down to earth after the hot start.

Of course that turned out just fine.
WestTexasAg
In reply to DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94 said:

gigem1223 said:

We need a Dane Shoving outing. Something tells me we won't score many runs today
Posts that didn't age well.
And another.
Danny Vermin
4:11p, 4/28/24
Series win is all that matters.
Ag Since 83
4:13p, 4/28/24
Pretty impressive how we managed to score 2 runs without the ball leaving the yard, while still being entirely dependent on home runs.
WestTexasAg
4:13p, 4/28/24
4 runs in the first, and nothing after that. The inconsistency of this offense is a concern, but I feel like it will correct itself as Seager heats up, the two young guys get more experience, and Jung returns.

DannyDuberstein
4:18p, 4/28/24
Team is battling. Still right there one game out and 6 up on houston
chick79
4:20p, 4/28/24
Yates is settling in comfortably it appears.
Tksymm7
4:42p, 4/28/24
In reply to WestTexasAg
WestTexasAg said:

4 runs in the first, and nothing after that. The inconsistency of this offense is a concern, but I feel like it will correct itself as Seager heats up, the two young guys get more experience, and Jung returns.

Agree. I'm not going to say we live and die with Seager, but until he gets it going more, we're going to continue to struggle on offense. Or be super streaky.
Water Boy
9:58p, 4/28/24
Who would have thought our bullpen would perform like this without Leclerc in playoff form and Sborz out for most of the time. Get those guys back to top form and we may have a decent season of bullpen play for the first time in a decade.
DallasAg 94
10:20p, 4/28/24
Not sure if any of you saw Max Scherzer's field interview during the game, Saturday.

They asked what his next milestones were.

ETA Video (found it):
https://www.mlb.com/video/max-scherzer-joins-broadcast-talks-rehab-more

He said (and I paraphrase), "I don't go goals like that. I'm after World Series Rings." A couple exchanges and he was like, "We could do something special this season, right here." He got a little giddy.

I'm like, "Hey Max, a series of 1yr/$5M deals could really help us extend our position.
We've talked about him moving his wife and kids (2?) here when he got traded.

Going to the 2024 playoffs with a healthy Eovaldi, Scherzer, and deGrom and then in 2025 would be kinda fun.
Grapesoda2525
6:23a, 4/29/24
In reply to DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94 said:

Not sure if any of you saw Max Scherzer's field interview during the game, Saturday.

ETA Video (found it):

He said (and I paraphrase), "I don't go goals like that. I'm after World Series Rings." A couple exchanges and he was like, "We could do something special this season, right here." He got a little giddy.

I'm like, "Hey Max, a series of 1yr/$5M deals could really help us extend our position.

Going to the 2024 playoffs with a healthy Eovaldi, Scherzer, and deGrom and then in 2025 would be kinda fun.

Are Eovaldi and Degrom already on board for 2025?
KT 90
6:50a, 4/29/24
In reply to Grapesoda2525
Grapesoda2525 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

ETA Video (found it):

Are Eovaldi and Degrom already on board for 2025?

Eovalidi has a team option for 2025 for $20M. It can become a player option if he gets 300 innings pitched over 23-24:

• 2025 vesting option contains a $2M buyout
    vests to a player option with 300 innings pitched across 2023-2024

Dunning still has arb years, he can be a UFA free agent in 2027.
Tksymm7
7:30a, 4/29/24
In reply to KT 90
I would be stunned if the Rangers don't pick up Eovaldi's 2025 option. Not only has he been awesome, but he's been a horse we've ridden to WS, and we owe him a whole heck of a lot. The only way we don't pick up his option at this point is if he falls off an Everest sized mountain, has downward/concerning trends or trajectories, or gets seriously injured.

We also have no clue what we are going to get from deGrom when he comes back, so getting a guy back who's been here and been a horse for us seems like a sure thing. I think we're going to get a focused, rejuvenated and very appreciative version of deGrom, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried about him though, even terrified.
DallasAg 94
7:45a, 4/29/24
In reply to DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94 said:

As mentioned Lorenzen (32), Heaney (33), and Scherzer (39) are all FAs after the 2024 season.

2025 we have:
Eovaldi (opt-34), Mahle (29), Gray (32) who are FAs after 2025
deGrom (36), Dunning (29), and Bradford (26) controlled through 2026+

If Lorenzen continues what he is doing, would you sign him to 2yr/$22M? I'd bet he'd grab that in a heartbeat to be in one place for 3 yrs.

Scherzer has made $351M. Seems there would be zero chance he signs cheap to stay.

We have to get something out of deGrom. That contract is just so big.

Eovaldi had 156.0 IP in '24 for his Option to vest. He is at 36.0.

I agree Eovaldi will be picked up if it is the Rangers decision.

I'm hoping between Maddux, Dr. Meister, and with CY being a P, that they can find a way to get deGrom healthy... and keep him that way.

With that being said, Dunning appears to be figuring things out. He may not be going deep into games, but if we get 5.0, 1ER every 5th day, that'd be pretty nice.
Tksymm7
7:50a, 4/29/24
One thing I've been meaning to bring up or continue the conversation on is the point that DallasAg has brought up about needing to get going and start piling up some wins/building in the standings. While I still think being a .500 team for a little bit is okay, I want to point out that we can't and shouldn't be playing for a WC spot this year.

The AL East is a juggernaut of a division this year, with three teams over a .550 winning percentage, and the Yankees an Orioles appearing to be the class of the AL this year (NY is 19-10 & Balt. is 17-10). The AL Central has FOUR teams over .500, with Cleveland being 19-9 and KC being 17-12. Now, while I don't know to what extent or how sustainable Cleveland and KC are, I think they are both good teams that aren't going to fall off a cliff.

The Rangers don't need to play with fire here and put themselves in a WC spot hunt, because there's a lot more good teams in the AL this year that could take up a spot. There's a world Where KC, Baltimore and Boston take up the WC spots. Do not mess around Rangers.
KT 90
7:54a, 4/29/24
In reply to Tksymm7
Agree on Eovaldi, barring injury he will be back IMO. In fact, as long as he doesn't get hurt, I'd like to see the Rangers try to tack on another year to his contract to keep him around. He would be mid to late 30's, so nothing too crazy, but I like how they say he is an extra pitching coach and likes to watch and work with the other pitchers. We could very reasonably have Leiter, Bradford, White, Winn, etc all on staff in the not so distant future. Maybe Porter or Rocker as well. Having someone like him who is still effective and also willing to work with the younger pitchers would be a good thing to have.

deGrom: yeah, no telling what we will get out of him. Which given the money commitment, you can't help but be a little concerned. For this season, even if things go well, he will likely be on a strict pitch count. He may be a 2 to 3 inning type opener, then turn it over to the bullpen.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 142 of 190
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings