Real Estate
Sponsored by

Is this a scam?

5,581 Views | 87 Replies | Last: 14 days ago by Deats99
halfastros81
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sold my Mom's estate home. Buyer asked for a home warranty and we agreed and paid $400 for it at closing to the title company. Title company arranged the warranty . 4 mos later the buyers realtor calls my wife who acted as my realtor and says the buyer declined the warranty and they want the $400 released to them. We felt like the buyer declining the home warranty was his decision and if anyone should get a refund it should be us. We fulfilled our part of the contract.We know The buyer buys homes and turns them into rentals and if he does this 10 x a year and gets away with it he's pocketing an extra 4 grand. We told them no but I'd bet 7 out of 10 actually release the funds to him. Title company and my wife's broker both agreed with us.

Had he asked for a $400 concessionto buy his own home warranty before closing I may or may not have agreed to it but this just felt like a cash grab to me
Martin Q. Blank
Usually you can cancel the warranty and get a (prorated) refund directly from the warranty company.
halfastros81
AG
Since the title company bought the warranty they have to get the refund and they have agreed to send it to us. Will probably be some sort of handling fee but I'm good with that as long as it's not stupidly excessive , but my real question was more around is this buyer running a cash grab scam that perhaps he tries over and over again with multiple sellers. Anyone heard of something similar?
Martin Q. Blank

Quote:

Since the title company bought the warranty they have to get the refund and they have agreed to send it to us.
They shouldn't. They should send it to the buyer. It's his warranty that he has decided isn't worth it. The money should go to him.
halfastros81
AG
The buyer declined the warranty. I don't know why but my obligation was to pay for the warranty which I did. If he declined it there is and perhaps never was an active warranty and so I paid for nothing and according to the title company whatever refund is forthcoming is payable to me. That's what I have been told anyway.

I didn't agree to a cash concession to the buyer, I agreed to pay for a warranty
Martin Q. Blank
At closing, did the title company send $400 to a warranty company on behalf of the buyer?
Diggity
AG
I don't really think it's a scam.

The buyer could have been more transparent that he just wanted the cash, but they're essentially choosing not to use the provided warranty and taking the money instead.

Don't know that I would necessarily care either way as the seller...but that's your perogative.
Deats99
AG
My lender hat says any funds earmarked for closing costs not used for closing costs are returned to seller. Key points, buyer declined coverage, did not accept and cancel later.
If the cash was given to seller it could be construed as an illegal, undisclosed inducement to purchase by a non arm's length party.
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
-George S Patton
Ag_0112358132134
Buy an entire house so you can scam someone out of a prorated portion of $400?
jja79
AG
I wouldn't consider a warranty closing costs but what do I know?
aggiepaintrain
AG
he accepted at closing and is cancelling now, buyer should get the $
Deats99
AG
Good question
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
-George S Patton
JMac03
AG
I was expecting something about the title company didn't purchae it, then something happened and they were coming back to you.

For $400 I wouldn't care. I would just be glad to be done with the house.
halfastros81
AG
If you do it 10-20x a yr it adds up was my thought .
halfastros81
AG
We were done with the house at closing . He had no leverage .
halfastros81
AG
I don't know . I'd have to go back and look at the docs but think the title company bought it on behalf of the seller for the benefit of the buyer.
Martin Q. Blank
halfastros81 said:

I don't know . I'd have to go back and look at the docs but think the title company bought it on behalf of the seller for the benefit of the buyer.
Then the buyer's name is on the warranty. Not sure why they even involved you or the title company. They should just call up the warranty company and ask for a refund and they'll send him a check.
Ag_0112358132134
halfastros81 said:

If you do it 10-20x a yr it adds up was my thought .

Buy 10 to 20 houses a year so you can make 4-8 grand?
jopatura
AG
I've seen it floating around in clickbait articles as a "Want extra money from closing? Check out this wacky tip!" type thing. At least with both of our home warranties, they were in our names as buyers. We could have done anything we wanted with them after close, including refund it.
fire09
AG
Here's what happened. You guys agreed to provide a warranty for a term and set dollar amount. Your title company went and bought the ****tiest low cost warranty they could. The buyer, who is in real estate knows *insert ****ty warranty company name here* is either not worth the hassle to file a claim, OR they had their maintenance person go through the house with a fine tooth comb and make sure everything was solid, and decided the warranty wasn't necessary.

Since you agreed to provide the value of the warranty as part of your concession on the sale, that money goes to the buyer, not you. If you take that money, and the buyer takes you to court, you would likely lose if the contract was written correctly.
Deats99
AG
Did no one else read that they declined, not wanted to cancel? The warranty was never purchased. So now it is a cash inducement to buy. Big "NO NO" especially in investment properties where basically you are now rebating cash on an overvalued property. $400 is not much, but imagine if that number was $20,000 how it would screw up ltv, down payment requirements, and minimum buyer investment requirements. Was a big source of fraud during the crash. Investor puts up$30,000 then is refunded $20,000 post closing by the seller.
-George S Patton
fire09
AG
I read it as the buyer called to cancel the warranty, realized it was in either the seller or the title company's name, and reached out to collect the refund. Maybe I misunderstood that. Deats you are absolutely correct in your comments above. I don't think that the buyer is trying to hide LTV ratios with 400 bucks, just citing a common thing I see on warranty cancellations on investment assets. Usually provide a good security blanket until the house is occupied or the maintenance crew runs through
halfastros81
AG
No, just extra cash . Not suggesting they buy the homes for the warranty rebates but it could be a way to squeeze a little extra out of deals . As Deats said, this is small potatoes but it could be bigger.

Not really relevant to this discussion but this guy did several shady things before we got to closing. He listed the house for rent online before we even had a contract with him with pics stolen from the online sale listing on realtors.com for example. That was fraud There were several other things after that. He was not an ethical operator imo which is part of why I dug my heels in on the warranty thing
halfastros81
AG
Nm
halfastros81
AG
I agreed to pay for a warranty and I did. Why he declined it I don't know for sure because it was zero cost to him but both the title company and our broker said the refund should come back to me. I didn't agree to a $400 cash concession which in my view is what he was trying to get.
Martin Q. Blank

Quote:

Did no one else read that they declined, not wanted to cancel? The warranty was never purchased.
I'm 99% sure it was purchased at closing and buyer is trying to cancel for a refund 4 months after closing. It was not "declined" prior to closing.

Not shady at all. Warranty companies suck and rarely cover anything. Maybe the buyer tried to get them to cover something, they declined the claim, and so buyer is asking for a refund.
Martin Q. Blank

Quote:

I agreed to pay for a warranty and I did.
End of transaction. What the buyer decides to do with it isn't your concern.
halfastros81
AG
Agree that warranties and warranty companies generally suck but as I understand it the buyer never had the warranty activated before declining it. It was not a cancellation of an active warranty , it was a flat out I don't need this which seems odd since it was zero cost to him. I will agree with you on this, if the warranty was in service and he wasn't happy with them and he cancelled it due to poor performance then yes, any refund should be due to him but that is not what happened from what I have been able to piece together.
halfastros81
AG
Then why did his realtor call my realtor to ask for my
Permission to release the funds?
Deats99
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

Quote:

Did no one else read that they declined, not wanted to cancel? The warranty was never purchased.
I'm 99% sure it was purchased at closing and buyer is trying to cancel for a refund 4 months after closing. It was not "declined" prior to closing.

Not shady at all. Warranty companies suck and rarely cover anything. Maybe the buyer tried to get them to cover something, they declined the claim, and so buyer is asking for a refund.

Not sure what you do for a living but specific language was used. Declined means they killed it before it was purchased. In our business, cash rebates are a big deal.
-George S Patton
Martin Q. Blank
halfastros81 said:

Agree that warranties and warranty companies generally suck but as I understand it the buyer never had the warranty activated before declining it. It was not a cancellation of an active warranty , it was a flat out I don't need this which seems odd since it was zero cost to him. I will agree with you on this, if the warranty was in service and he wasn't happy with them and he cancelled it due to poor performance then yes, any refund should be due to him but that is not what happened from what I have been able to piece together.
Look at your closing statement. Was the $400 to the warranty company on there or not?
Martin Q. Blank

Quote:

Then why did his realtor call my realtor to ask for my

Permission to release the funds?
If the warranty was never purchased, and instead "declined", why are there funds somewhere?
Martin Q. Blank

Quote:

Declined means they killed it before it was purchased.
So why are the funds sitting at the title company? Where did they come from?
halfastros81
AG
Because I paid the title company to purchase the warranty. It's on the closing statement

If the buyers agent hadn't called and asked for us to release the funds to the buyer I would have never known the warranty was never active. I'd have been fat, dumb and happy . That's why it's such a head scratcher to me that the buyer declined the warranty. He could have just accepted the warranty as his and as someone suggested he may have been able to cancel it for poor/nonperformance and got the refund for himself but that's not the way it went down.
Deats99
AG
halfastros81 said:

Because I paid the title company to purchase the warranty. It's on the closing statement

Smart man
It was being held on the sellers behalf to purchase the warranty that was promised in the contract, but then declined by this buyer. Therefore, being that it was in escrow, it reverts back to the seller.
-George S Patton
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.