Real Estate
Sponsored by

Is this a scam?

5,589 Views | 87 Replies | Last: 14 days ago by Deats99
Deats99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If he gives them cash it is.
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
-George S Patton
Medaggie
You guys like to make things too complicated.

I offered $400 for a homeowners policy. I am out of $400 bucks and I can care less if he spends it on drugs, a rug, or hookers.

If the buyer wanted the $400, just tell the title to do whatever is appropriate. If he is allowed to take it, why do I care? If title tells him they can't because of fraud, then let him decide to take the homeowners or not. Seems so simple. Bottom line is, as the seller, I promised to spend $400 on a homeowners and I can care less if that is where the money went. That $400 is not my money.
jja79
AG
This seems to have have gone off the rails.
Hittag1492
AG
One of the more entertaining parts of this is all the people so "above the fray" telling the OP how they would never waste their time on something so trivial as $400…while wasting their time repeatedly posting on a thread about $400. Nice.
ATM9000
AG
fire09 said:

You agreed to provide warranty, which has an established and agreed cash value, as a concession in the sale. That money isn't yours to keep because the buyer chose to convert that value from a home warranty back to cash. I'm confused why you are confused about this. You didn't have to agree to the warranty, you chose to. How he converts or recognizes this value which you agreed in writing to provide him is no concern of yours. Your closing document governs this. Him turning down the warranty with the expectation that a fair cash value would be substituted as a replacement shouldn't deny him the right to that concession all together unless specifically stated as such in the closing docs.

If I recall, usually the concession for a home warranty isn't just 'here's some money for a warranty'. Which warranty to buy and which company etc. is stipulated in the closing documents and I even think the buyer is the one who has to go about choosing it not the title company. So… contractually, I'm pretty sure you are wrong on buyers option how the value conveys once the concession is actually agreed to. All this stuff has to be stipulated and itemized else the concession process is extremely prone to fraud.

OP should look at all of the closing docs and see if it is stipulated that way. If it is, just tell the realtor no thanks… feels a bit like fraud and the deal is done so pound sand. You can't be exchanging cash under the table outside of closing documents or you are part of mortgage fraud. Hard stop and isn't really even a debate. When you call that out, you'll never hear from that realtor nor buyer again and if they did call and cancel it, pretty sure you'll get the pro rata funds back at some point anyway. Never give cash to a buyer under the table. It's not legal. So not a scam per se… but they are trying to get you to aid their fraud… possibly unwittingly. Just firmly say you aren't going to do anything not stipulated in the closing documents at closing and move on with your life.
ATM9000
AG
fire09 said:

Here's what happened. You guys agreed to provide a warranty for a term and set dollar amount. Your title company went and bought the ****tiest low cost warranty they could. The buyer, who is in real estate knows *insert ****ty warranty company name here* is either not worth the hassle to file a claim, OR they had their maintenance person go through the house with a fine tooth comb and make sure everything was solid, and decided the warranty wasn't necessary.

Since you agreed to provide the value of the warranty as part of your concession on the sale, that money goes to the buyer, not you. If you take that money, and the buyer takes you to court, you would likely lose if the contract was written correctly.

Just… no. Closing documents are legal docs. Without opening all of those back up, if the Title Company was arranging the warranty, etc. which they definitely were if they are sending the cash back to the OP then if the buyer took the seller to court for the $475, they'd have no leg to stand on in their case. In fact, if they even tried, a court would review and throw it out before the seller had to even waste their time.

There is no legal risk here. In fact, if you sent the buyer money back out of the contract then you are actually creating a legal risk (albeit probably a very small one) not only for you but also your wife, possibly her broker since they know about it, the other realtor and the seller.

People are bagging on this thread at this point but it is interesting in some ways. Loads of known real estate professionals in here seem confused by it and that's because not a lot of people think through the process and ask why when it comes to this stuff. I'm neither a real estate pro nor am I a lawyer but there's always a reason for the itemizations and conveyances in them.

The Title Company's job is to make sure they are all executed properly so if you are getting a refund after a buyer declined coverage whatever that means, then you have your answer.
halfastros81
AG
I don't intend to do anything further except have the realtor ask the title company what happened to the $ and if the answer is the funds are still there at the title company ask them if they intend to provide me a refund. That's actually already happened but we'll ask one more time , and then likely just drop the whole thing . I agree with your comments.
Hittag1492
AG
halfastros81 said:

I don't intend to do anything further except have the realtor ask the title company what happened to the $ and if the answer is the funds are still there at the title company ask them if they intend to provide me a refund. That's actually already happened but we'll ask one more time , and then likely just drop the whole thing . I agree with your comments.

Do what you want-get your money. Don't listen to the silly fools on here making fun of you. Just a bunch of hens. You have a valid point, especially if this person does this in bulk as stated. Go get the money if you feel he is just pulling a fast. The real estate geniuses on here are just a bit full of themselves-going so far as to insult your wife, Good Lord! Ignore them.
Diggity
AG
The net to seller is exactly the same whether a buyer asks for a $450 warwanty or seller contribution.

I'm still trying to figure out the devious plan the buyer has by scaling this operation.

The whole scenario about the title company holding the money for months is very odd. They typcialy order it on behalf of the buyer prior to close.

As mentioned, if the buyer wanted to order and cancel the warranty one day into it, that would have been their choice. I don't see any real difference here if that was his goal.

As far as the Fed's getting involved. Give me a break. After having seen real fraud run rampant in Rice Military for years, and nothing being done to anyone, I'm not going to hold my breath on that.
aggiepaintrain
AG
these are the 2 options

1. If a warranty was bought the buyer can contact the warranty company for a pro-rated refund that he will receive from the warranty company.

2. If the warranty was never bought the title company owes the seller $475
and the buyer gets jack sht

otherwise I'm calling 911 on everyone
jja79
AG
It's hard to get a title company to hold $500 until a minor, agreed on repair is done. I'm surprised this money is still at title months later.
20ag07
A LOT of people in here assuming the buyer had a mortgage.

Which the seller never says that they did.

With all the talks about fraud and crime- that seems to be a piece of the puzzle.
AgsMyDude
AG
I've already contacted the authorities.

RIP, OP.
ATM9000
AG
Diggity said:

As far as the Fed's getting involved. Give me a break. After having seen real fraud run rampant in Rice Military for years, and nothing being done to anyone, I'm not going to hold my breath on that.

Nobody is saying feds are going to get involved. Similar to a contractor who kicks cash back to a homeowner on an insurance claim under the table, if a mortgage is involved (and if there's a stated concession in a contract for a home warranty from somebody who is a known rental buyer… I'd say it is highly likely there is), doing this is technically fraud.

I'm not suggesting anything but sending a note back in writing saying this is technically fraud if you just don't want to hear from the other party ever again. Then… wait for your money to get returned to you and call it a day. Sounds like that's what the OP did so good choice.
Diggity
AG
it's an odd scenario for sure.

Obviously, title company doesn't want to play referee here. I would imagine once the buyer realizes they won't get the cash from the title company, they'll just default back to getting the warranty, then cashing it out. Just an added step. Everyone will be able to sleep easier at night, knowing they haven't committed technical fraud.
ATM9000
AG
Diggity said:

Obviously, title company doesn't want to play referee here. I would imagine once the buyer realizes they won't get the cash from the title company, they'll just default back to getting the warranty, then cashing it out. Just an added step. Everyone will be able to sleep easier at night, knowing they haven't committed technical fraud.

See… I don't think that's true.

The stipulation is something to the effect that if the buyer chooses to get a warranty seller pays no more than $xxx. This is why the Title Company being involved and who paid for it matters. If the buyer cancels, the check isn't going to come back to them… it'll go back to the Title Company… or it will go back to them, the Title Company will get notified and send them a notice for the money back.
Diggity
AG
ATM9000 said:

Diggity said:

See… I don't think that's true.

The stipulation is something to the effect that if the buyer chooses to get a warranty seller pays no more than $xxx. This is why the Title Company being involved and who paid for it matters. If the buyer cancels, the check isn't going to come back to them… it'll go back to the Title Company… or it will go back to them, the Title Company will get notified and send them a notice for the money back.
I can promise you in practice, the reimbursement would go to the buyer, because it's their warranty. The issue here seems to be that they didn't even order the warranty.

The title company helps order the warranty as a service/convenience. It's not a requirement, and the buyer can order it outside the transaction and get a credit on the closing statement. They just have to show an invoice.
Deats99
AG
If it was bought that would be true, but homeboy got cute and declined it.
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
-George S Patton

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.