Houston open tips?

6,785 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 29 days ago by AgLA06
Krondaddy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For those that have gone, any advice / spots they enjoy?
Tom Cardy
AG
following, taking my first visit to this one as well
Big Walt Law Firm
AG
Taking some clients Thursday for the first time as well. Should be great weather.
trip98
AG
Do you have a plan for parking or getting there?
From what I've been told that is a headache
Tom Cardy
AG
They sell garage parking with a shuttle available. Planning on doing that, hopefully not too terrible
Lonestarandi
AG
Last year with venue hopper passes our parking was by Minute Maid, and shuttled over. It was easy. Looks like this year it's shuttle from brook hollow.
dallasag12
AG
Volunteer so you can sit inside the ropes!

No boozing or amenities and I'm locked into a single hole for as long as I'm "on the clock" but still should be a good time. Weather is looking to be incredible, hopefully a repeat of the weather we had this past Friday/Saturday.
KCup17
AG
Going this year. So doing the parking shuttle is the best bet? Or are there any other good parking tips?
Project Gemini
AG
I dont have any transpo tips, but behind #2 green is generally the best area to see a little bit of everything. There are two greens (#2 and #7) and two tee shots (#3 and #8) all in that vicinity.
Project Gemini
AG
The back 9 is fairly linear, but you can go from #10 green to #12 green easily, then see tee shots on #13 (a short par 4). The main entrance lets you in around #10 green and there is a large tent there for gear and shopping.
CFTXAG10
AG
Krondaddy said:

For those that have gone, any advice / spots they enjoy?

I love the par 3 9th. Can flip back and forth watching them go off one tee and approaching 9 green. 15 is fun too.

For those asking about parking there's a separate ride share entrance away from the main entrance. Be prepared to walk. A lot of people park off Washington by the bars and walk in. Not a bad idea actually if attending on a busier day Friday/Saturday.

Everything is cashless (like most places nowadays).

We are expecting a lot of traffic on Friday and Saturday between tickets sold and sponsors/community partners attending. Not gonna be as bad Thursday and Sunday, in fact should be pretty light.
Lonestarandi
AG
Yes. They close down most of the loop for staff, volunteer, press, vip parking. If you plan to try to park anywhere in the park, plan to go very early and stay all day. Shuttles run constantly.
Ag_07
AG
I think they've added more grandstands here recently so I'm not sure if this is the case now but in the past one of the best spots to watch is from the grandstands right by #3 tee box/7 green.

You can see groups hitting into 2, teeing off 3, and hitting into the par 3 7th and there's a beer station right there close by.

KCup17
AG
Shuttle parking it is!

Thanks for the tip!
AustinCountyAg
man, just saw the field for this year. brutally weak
khaos288
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

What do you mean?

Scottie is playing. Most of the top LIV guys are playing. Lots of hot hands with Clark, Aberg, Hovland (end of last season still counts), Harman. Lots of fan favorites with Homa, Mcilroy, Rickie, Hideki, Morikawa, and some others.

Who is missing that would make it not "brutally weak"?
htxag09
AG
dallasag12 said:

Volunteer so you can sit inside the ropes!

No boozing or amenities and I'm locked into a single hole for as long as I'm "on the clock" but still should be a good time. Weather is looking to be incredible, hopefully a repeat of the weather we had this past Friday/Saturday.
What hole? I'll be on 11
Ag_07
AG
Huh? What field list are you looking at?

Quote:

Scottie is playing.
Check

Quote:

Most of the top LIV guys are playing.
No

Quote:

Lots of hot hands with Clark, Aberg, Hovland (end of last season still counts), Harman. Lots of fan favorites with Homa, Mcilroy, Rickie, Hideki, Morikawa, and some others.
Clark is in
No Aberg, Hovland, or Harmon,
No Homa, Rory, Hideki, or Morikawa

https://www.tchouopen.com/field-list

It's not brutally weak but it's not a major field.
NColoradoAG
khaos288 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

What do you mean?

Scottie is playing. Most of the top LIV guys are playing. Lots of hot hands with Clark, Aberg, Hovland (end of last season still counts), Harman. Lots of fan favorites with Homa, Mcilroy, Rickie, Hideki, Morikawa, and some others.

Who is missing that would make it not "brutally weak"?
I think the field you are referencing is a little tournament happening in two weeks
JCA1
AG
For a non-signature event, the field is decent. Scottie and Clark are probably the 2 best players on tour right now. Day, Finau and a couple others are also nice additions.

In the new 2-tiered system, this is probably about as good as you can hope for.
khaos288
AG
Ag_07 said:

Huh? What field list are you looking at?

Quote:

Scottie is playing.
Check

Quote:

Most of the top LIV guys are playing.
No

Quote:

Lots of hot hands with Clark, Aberg, Hovland (end of last season still counts), Harman. Lots of fan favorites with Homa, Mcilroy, Rickie, Hideki, Morikawa, and some others.
Clark is in
No Aberg, Hovland, or Harmon,
No Homa, Rory, Hideki, or Morikawa

https://www.tchouopen.com/field-list

It's not brutally weak but it's not a major field.
I could have SWORN I clicked on the masters thread.

My bad. I was like "this can't even be a LIV/PGA cluster ****. "
AustinCountyAg
JCA1 said:

For a non-signature event, the field is decent. Scottie and Clark are probably the 2 best players on tour right now. Day, Finau and a couple others are also nice additions.

Not trying to make it a LIV argument cause I love the Houston Open but comparing this field to the one LIV is bringing in June it's no comparison which tournament will have the bigger names. I wish Spieth and Rickie would've at least played. Valero Open has a good field next week. I get it though with it being two weeks before the masters and right after the Florida swing. It just sucks for us going out to the tournament there aren't a few more bigger names to follow
JCA1
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

JCA1 said:

Not trying to make it a LIV argument cause I love the Houston Open but comparing this field to the one LIV is bringing in June it's no comparison which tournament will have the bigger names. I wish Spieth and Rickie would've at least played. Valero Open has a good field next week. I get it though with it being two weeks before the masters and right after the Florida swing. It just sucks for us going out to the tournament there aren't a few more bigger names to follow

The big Tour names play the signature events and maybe sprinkle in a few regular events here and there. If you're not one of the signature events, your field is going to suffer. Just the way it is.

It may not be logistically possible, but I think it would be cool if they would rotate a handful of signature events every year so every tourney gets to be one every once in a while.
MAROON
CFTXAG10
AG
I've got a few extra general admission good any day tix if anyone is wanting to come out. PM me.
E
AG
Message sent! In need of 1 (possibly 2)
trip98
AG
RE: the field...what's sad is how much it's dropped from it used to be. The whole debacle of ego's getting in the way of running the tournament. The old saying..if it ain't broke....wasn't followed. Now it's a fraction of what it used to be.

Going to be tough to get back to days like this

Ag06Law
AG
Taking my boys (11 and 9) Sunday. The website says kids go free, but do you need to get a ticket in advance for them, or do they just show up and walk in? Thanks in advance for any help!
CFTXAG10
AG
You don't need a ticket if 15 and under for general admission, but you do need one if trying to get into a hospitality venue or suite area over a certain age (wanna say 5)
Ag06Law
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

You don't need a ticket if 15 and under for general admission, but you do need one if trying to get into a hospitality venue or suite area over a certain age (wanna say 5)

Cool, thanks!
RustyBV
AG
The kids zone by 17 green is great, unlimited chips and apple juice!
trip98
AG
Ag06Law said:

Taking my boys (11 and 9) Sunday. The website says kids go free, but do you need to get a ticket in advance for them, or do they just show up and walk in? Thanks in advance for any help!
my advice after going for years with kids....even though I haven't been to it at Memorial so it may not be conducive for this. BUT when it was at GCOH/redstone this was VERY easy to do and kids loved it.

Bring a hat or flag and sharpie.

1) Go early and go to the warm up range. usually they have a walkway/roped off area where the players walk to range from clubhouse/facilities/parking. Stand along that and kids can likely get an autograph BEFORE the player gets started in their routine.

2) similar to 1 but when player is DONE for the day. They used to have scoring tent right outside of 18. Players went in tent and signed card and then there was area for kids/patrons to gather and the players would come sign autographs. Phil was AWESOME about this!! He'd stay a long time to sign and would go to kids first and sometimes just ignore adults. He could tell the huckster standing there with 20 flags!! Rickey was great too

3) another one that requires some patience. Go to tee box on 18 and get right on the rope right next to where caddies stand just on fairway side of tee markers. If they see kid standing there a lot of times they'll give them something like a ball or glove as soon as they start to head down the fairway. Put the kids on the rope, make them stand still and quiet and if they stick out their hand like a high five after the player has hit the ball it pays off from time to time.
Ag06Law
AG
trip98 said:

Ag06Law said:

my advice after going for years with kids....even though I haven't been to it at Memorial so it may not be conducive for this. BUT when it was at GCOH/redstone this was VERY easy to do and kids loved it.

Bring a hat or flag and sharpie.

1) Go early and go to the warm up range. usually they have a walkway/roped off area where the players walk to range from clubhouse/facilities/parking. Stand along that and kids can likely get an autograph BEFORE the player gets started in their routine.

2) similar to 1 but when player is DONE for the day. They used to have scoring tent right outside of 18. Players went in tent and signed card and then there was area for kids/patrons to gather and the players would come sign autographs. Phil was AWESOME about this!! He'd stay a long time to sign and would go to kids first and sometimes just ignore adults. He could tell the huckster standing there with 20 flags!! Rickey was great too

3) another one that requires some patience. Go to tee box on 18 and get right on the rope right next to where caddies stand just on fairway side of tee box. If they see kid standing there a lot of times they'll give them something like a ball or glove as soon as they start to head down the fairway. Put the kids on the rope, make them stand still and quiet and if they stick out their hand like a high five after the player has hit the ball it pays off from time to time.

Great stuff, thanks!
Krondaddy
Anyone have a Sunday ticket for sale?
htxag09
AG
I'll likely have 2 volunteer tickets, my wife is expecting our second kid on Tuesday so doubt we'll be using them. So $0
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.