Houston open tips?

6,784 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 28 days ago by AgLA06
JCA1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MAROON said:

Considering the time of year the rough was not going to be high even if they didn't cut it. We have just entered the growing season for most grasses.
Did you see the course versus the surrounding areas? Night and day. They overseeded and watered the crap out of it. It was green and lush while everywhere else was still yellow and sparse. I'm guessing with their funds, army of agronomists, and pretty much unlimited water, they could have had considerably more rough if they wanted to.
AgLA06
AG
htxag09 said:

A kid I went to high school with had cancer and started an organization called triumph over kid cancer. Scottie has always been pretty involved with it so I'll always root for him (despite is college of choice).

But I think houston also really needed him to win. Hope I'm wrong, but not sure he'll come back.
Double edged sword.

As much as he *****ed and whined about every little thing, it might be a blessing he isn't the reigning champ putting out all the soundbites. Him and Spieth are tour leaders in complaining.

No question he moves the needle the most outside of Rory with Rahm and some of the others moving over to LIV.
Ag_07
AG
Later in the year when they play the city am at Memorial they grow the rough and it's absolutely brutal to play when it's grown up.

To the point of losing balls that are a yard or two off the fairway. It's almost to the point where I avoid playing there.
Mr.Bond
AG
Ag_07 said:

Later in the year when they play the city am at Memorial they grow the rough and it a absolutely brutal to play when it's grown up.

To the point of losing balls that are a hard or two off the fairway. It's almost to the point where I avoid playing there.

So true. I've lost balls less than 5 ft off the fairway
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Project Gemini
AG
JCA1 said:

MAROON said:

Considering the time of year the rough was not going to be high even if they didn't cut it. We have just entered the growing season for most grasses.
Did you see the course versus the surrounding areas? Night and day. They overseeded and watered the crap out of it. It was green and lush while everywhere else was still yellow and sparse. I'm guessing with their funds, army of agronomists, and pretty much unlimited water, they could have had considerably more rough if they wanted to.

That yellowish color is what it always looked like before the overseed. That's just the color of Bermuda. The rye overseed definitely was what made it play different and much easier on the eyes. I play out there every two weeks or so and it (and Gus both) are always in shockingly good shape for the amount of rounds they get. We have gotten a solid amount of rain in the area too which never hurts.

The Bermuda setup with 1) a long par 70 setup, 2) brutal rough, and 3) significantly firmer greens was not something the pros liked. Lots of them have complained the last few years about that setup just being unfair due to lack of control over the golf ball. So for all SS' complaining, this was a fairer and more enjoyable setup for them. The flexibility of 13, 16, and 17 makes it a more attractive layout.
Project Gemini
AG
SS can complain all he wants about his 15 shot he spun off the front into the water (Friday or Saturday, I can't recall). He shouldn't have hit that shot. It's not hard to figure out a full wedge that lands right on the front with a bunch of spin is going to go down that hill. The hole is literally setup for that to happen; he was being greedy and paid for it, that's the golf course winning fairly IMO.
E
AG
And there was a hard wind into his face... even watched it effect his playing partners before him...
98Ag99Grad
AG
Fried Egg guys were all over this course and event too calling for it to be a signature/elevated event at the least. Nice to see this tournament getting love again after it was moved from the fall. Props to Crane for helping bring it back to life.
Ag_07
AG
Not that I disagree with them but aren't those guys BIG Tom Doak fanboys?
98Ag99Grad
AG
they seem to be architecture nerds in general but yes, they had Doak on several times during the renovation a few years back.

They went as far to say this site and city were basically only second to LA and Riviera for a tournament on Tour and the PGAT needs to do more for our market. That was surprising to me TBH.
El Gallo Blanco
Ag_07 said:

Later in the year when they play the city am at Memorial they grow the rough and it's absolutely brutal to play when it's grown up.

To the point of losing balls that are a yard or two off the fairway. It's almost to the point where I avoid playing there.
I have lost so many "good drives" to that thick spongy grass over the years. Brutal is right.
El Gallo Blanco
Anyone know when the course becomes open to public again? This week or next?
AgLA06
AG
Apparently you could book tee times during the tournament, so probably immediately.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.