Sam Bennet - Tour card update

5,834 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by GigEmJake17
Ag_in_Moscow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sam had a pretty good weekend on Korn Ferry, eagling the final hole on Sunday to card a 65 and finished tied for 14th. This moved him up the points ranking to #28 from #34 going into the weekend, just inside the top-30 requirement to get his full tour card.

Sam has 212 points so far vs. the 862 amassed by the #30 player last season. He's played in 6 events, with 1 Top-10 and 1 missed cut. It is still a relatively young season, but he is on the right track.

AgOutsideAustin
AG
Good to hear.
GigEmJake17
AG
He also played himself into a lot more events. His status was shaky at the beginning, but his play has basically made him a full member.
McGibblets
AG
He's been very consistent which is great to see. If he can keep making cuts and have one or two great weeks, he should easily earn his card for next season
jja79
AG
Nothing is easy.
Tailgate88
AG
They just had a nice little mini-feature on his run at the Masters last year on the "Masters on the Range" stream.
McGibblets
AG
Agreed. Just saying that if he keeps making cuts over and over and then sprinkles in a couple of top 10s, he should be well into the top 30. Not saying it's an easy achievement, but he's showing he can consistently compete and that's put him in a good spot to start
Gigem314
AG
Good for Sam!
Ag_in_Moscow
It would be nice if he could win one. That would all but guarantee him a top-30 finish.
Ag_in_Moscow
I took a look at Sam's stats vs. the field for the Houston tournament, wanting to see where he might need to improve. I'll admit up front, strokes gained for a single tournament tell more about where a golfer succeeded and failed at that moment in time, but don't necessarily indicate permanently weak areas. Based on my own experience, you need at least 10 rounds before the ordinary round-to-round volatility disappears in the numbers and you can make some serious judgements. That being said...

Category / Strokes gained / Rank / comments
Total / -2.95 / T72
Driving / +0.195 / 49 / This is pretty damn good, considering he was dead last in driving distance (#83 out of those making the cut), and SG values distance over accuracy. He came in tied for #6 in accuracy, hitting 67% of his fairways. If he could find 10-15 more yards, it would help him a lot, and on other courses accuracy may not help him as much to offset the lack of distance.
Putting / +1.1 / 37 / His strongest suit in this tournament. The flat stick can make up for a lot of woes tee-to-green, but can it show up every week?
Around the green / +0.88 / 39 / Second-strongest category, and we all knew Sam scrambles well. Unfortunately, the next category shows why he has to...
Approach to green / -5.1 / 82 / By far his worst category. Finished pretty much dead last. I haven't gone through the tournament (and I can't watch it from where I am), so I don't know if this was a consistent problem, or due to 2 or 3 bad decisions and/or bad luck (two water balls in the course of 4 days can tack on 4 of those 5 strokes).

This is his only PGA Tour tournament so far this year, and Korn Ferry doesn't have Shot Link data, so it makes no sense to analyze his season numbers. However, Sam played a number of tournaments last year on the strength of his US Am. championship, so later I may go back and look at that broader set of data, or perhaps his performance in the majors where he made the cut.
GigEmJake17
AG
Ag_in_Moscow said:

I took a look at Sam's stats vs. the field for the Houston tournament, wanting to see where he might need to improve. I'll admit up front, strokes gained for a single tournament tell more about where a golfer succeeded and failed at that moment in time, but don't necessarily indicate permanently weak areas. Based on my own experience, you need at least 10 rounds before the ordinary round-to-round volatility disappears in the numbers and you can make some serious judgements. That being said...

Category / Strokes gained / Rank / comments
Total / -2.95 / T72
Driving / +0.195 / 49 / This is pretty damn good, considering he was dead last in driving distance (#83 out of those making the cut), and SG values distance over accuracy. He came in tied for #6 in accuracy, hitting 67% of his fairways. If he could find 10-15 more yards, it would help him a lot, and on other courses accuracy may not help him as much to offset the lack of distance.
Putting / +1.1 / 37 / His strongest suit in this tournament. The flat stick can make up for a lot of woes tee-to-green, but can it show up every week?
Around the green / +0.88 / 39 / Second-strongest category, and we all knew Sam scrambles well. Unfortunately, the next category shows why he has to...
Approach to green / -5.1 / 82 / By far his worst category. Finished pretty much dead last. I haven't gone through the tournament (and I can't watch it from where I am), so I don't know if this was a consistent problem, or due to 2 or 3 bad decisions and/or bad luck (two water balls in the course of 4 days can tack on 4 of those 5 strokes).

This is his only PGA Tour tournament so far this year, and Korn Ferry doesn't have Shot Link data, so it makes no sense to analyze his season numbers. However, Sam played a number of tournaments last year on the strength of his US Am. championship, so later I may go back and look at that broader set of data, or perhaps his performance in the majors where he made the cut.

Ever since Sam had his run at Augusta last year I've tracked him pretty dang closely. I'll usually have his shot tracker up for tourneys and watch him when he comes up. I was enamored by his story and am rooting for him to get to the big stage.

Here are my broad take aways without getting into the great data you shared.

Driving Accuracy: ELITE... He is a fairway finder and when he does miss it's not bad. Usually first cut. I've rarely seen him send one right into the trees or water. If ever.

Driving Distance: POOR... Usually 15-30 yards behind his group. Could use some speed/weight training in off-season.

Long Irons/woods: GOOD... For lacking distance he hits his long irons well and puts himself in good spots

Wedges: OKAY... Nothing crazy. Will occasionally stick it right next to hole but lands too far away on wedges too often for tour level.

Short game: GOOD... Pretty good at getting up and down. We all know this is a strength of his.

Puttin: POOR..OR...GOOD.. Wildly inconsistent. Will 3 putt a 20 footer and then next hole make a long bomb. He tends to struggle tourney to tourney with the 8-15 footers for birdie that tour pros make at a high level. But when he is hot he can drain them at will. Just isn't the norm for him.

Numbers may say otherwise but that's my 7 handicap view of his play.

I think he will win on tour. Will need to add more distance like Aberg to flirt with a major again.
GigEmJake17
AG
Sams first round today stats. Kind of backs up my general thoughts. Awful putting day on a relatively easy course. Sits +1 through 13.
Bunk Moreland
Elite punch out game or no?
Ag_in_Moscow
Here's where traditional stats just don't tell you much. The first-pass interpretation is that he had a good day striking the ball but a bad day putting, and that may indeed be the case. He hit a lot of fairways and greens, but had 34 putts and averaged 2 puts per GIR.
However, it is possible that his irons were a bit loose and, while hitting greens, he was leaving himself with a bunch of 30-40 footers and very few inside of 10'. In that case, Strokes Gained might have shown him to have done "ok" in putting but to have lost several shots to the field in approach play. Maybe.
GigEmJake17
AG
Ag_in_Moscow said:

Here's where traditional stats just don't tell you much. The first-pass interpretation is that he had a good day striking the ball but a bad day putting, and that may indeed be the case. He hit a lot of fairways and greens, but had 34 putts and averaged 2 puts per GIR.
However, it is possible that his irons were a bit loose and, while hitting greens, he was leaving himself with a bunch of 30-40 footers and very few inside of 10'. In that case, Strokes Gained might have shown him to have done "ok" in putting but to have lost several shots to the field in approach play. Maybe.

they actually had tour cast for this event. Lots of 10-15 footers he missed that could have been birdies. Also had one bogey that was a missed 2 footer. And on 9 missed a 5 footer for bird. It was all putting yesterday.
Ag_in_Moscow
I stand corrected!
GigEmJake17
AG
Barring a great back 9, probably going to miss the cut. Can't get any birdies to drop.

Walker having a great tourney!!
Ag_in_Moscow
-2 so far on the back. One more birdie and he just makes the projected cut.
98Ag99Grad
AG
hopefully he can beat the 15y/o this week.
GigEmJake17
AG
Got to -5. Heck of a back 9. Looks to be 50% shot at making cut with that number.

Walker safely in.
Ag_in_Moscow
Cut still projected at-4. I think he's almost certainly into the weekend.
GigEmJake17
AG
still got half the field out there... the model thinks itll likely be -5 https://datagolf.com/live-model/korn-ferry-tour

I think 5 should be safe.
Ag_in_Moscow
-5 makes the cut on the nose, with some 26 or so players tied for #60 and the leader at "only" -14. Pretty tightly bunched tournament…
GigEmJake17
AG
Well... That's certainly a start (fat fingered wrong emoji but works for sarcasm)
Ag_in_Moscow
Wow! Sam is -7 through 15 holes! Suddenly in third place. Of course he will fall back as the later players go around, but Sam is still having a good day.
Ag_in_Moscow
Sam ends round 3 tied for 17th. Very good move on "moving day" from T60 and just making the cut.
GigEmJake17
AG
Can't buy a birdie today. Just missed a 6 footer for bird. Complete opposite of yesterday.
GigEmJake17
AG
Starting to heat up! Birdie, eagle, birdie
GigEmJake17
AG
I'd be interested to know what happened here
GigEmJake17
AG
Pretty bad day. Especially with the flat stick. 3 bogeys from 5 feet. Projected to drop to 31st on points list. LONG season to go.

Will be in Texas next week at the Rangers Golf Club.
oneeyedag
Sam just can't finish..
Seven Costanza
AG
GigEmJake17 said:

I'd be interested to know what happened here

The shot tracking on the KFT is understandably not very accurate. At one point they said he drove the ball 482 yards to within 30 ft of the hole on a par 4. It eventually gets corrected. The one you posted wound up being a pretty standard three putt.
GigEmJake17
AG
Sam and Walker going to have an uphill battle already
jja79
AG
Also a 61 in the clubhouse.
Unemployed
AG
oneeyedag said:

Sam just can't finish..
Once an Aggie, always an Aggie.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.