General Milley

11,614 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by Buck Turgidson
Build It
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Left the military woke and much less ready to protect us. Failed in Afghanistan especially the withdraw. Went behind the Presidents back contacting our greatest enemy telling them what he wouldn't do.

Let's all hope the new leadership can right the ship.

F4GIB71
I agree but sadly don't hold high hopes at this time
Diyala Nick
AG
I have been out for a long time…but I have several friends that are currently battalion commanders for Army maneuver battalions. Another is an O6 commanding a BCT.

I certainly woundnt describe those guys as "woke" (whatever that means), but I would describe them (not to be dramatic) as professional killers.

I don't get this perception of not being prepared. The entirety of DOD is currently doing a hard pivot from counter insurgency and towards high intensity, near peer warfare. The marines are even shedding assets in order to create units focused on area denial in the pacific.
CT'97
AG
Build It said:

Left the military woke and much less ready to protect us. Failed in Afghanistan especially the withdraw. Went behind the Presidents back contacting our greatest enemy telling them what he wouldn't do.

Let's all hope the new leadership can right the ship.

This statement shows a kindergardeners level of understanding over a subject. Stop copy and pasting what your choosen media brand tells you.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Diyala Nick said:

I have been out for a long time…but I have several friends that are currently battalion commanders for Army maneuver battalions. Another is an O6 commanding a BCT.

I certainly woundnt describe those guys as "woke" (whatever that means), but I would describe them (not to be dramatic) as professional killers.

I don't get this perception of not being prepared. The entirety of DOD is currently doing a hard pivot from counter insurgency and towards high intensity, near peer warfare. The marines are even shedding assets in order to create units focused on area denial in the pacific.

I'm not a ground pounder killer by any means

My community is far more ready to fight a near peer or any other conflict than it's been before if you're purely looking at max capability of the top end crew or what's expected of an average crew than it's ever been.
Diyala Nick
AG
That good to hear!

I was a ground pounder, but it was back in the days of fighting insurgents and AQI in Iraq. Very different from the current threat (child's play compared to the current threat).
OldArmyCT
AG
If you think Milley is woke you haven't really paid attention to CoS history. You don't make 4 stars without being extremely political, and you don't stay there by lowering the military's warfighting mentality. Heck, in Vietnam Abrams replaced the 5th SF CO with a leg because he didn't like SF. The guy didn't last 2 weeks but still. We had race relations classes back in the 1970's, we had mandatory classes on women in the military in the 1970's, heck in 1982 there was a civilian ****** flight instructor and we had strict instructions to not treat "her" any differently, doing so put both your job and career in serious peril. Miley was a good soldier in a tough job at a tough moment in our times. His replacement will, IMO, be even more "woke." And the US military will be even better.
LMCane
F4GIB71 said:

it will get worse under Brown
CT'97
AG
LMCane said:

F4GIB71 said:

You have no clue what you are talking about. The guys is a fighter pilots, fighter pilot.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
General Milley sure decided to leave the swamp at a good time.
Strong Men Armed
His term was up… not his decision.
stallion6
AG
OldArmyCT said:

If you think Milley is woke you haven't really paid attention to CoS history. You don't make 4 stars without being extremely political, and you don't stay there by lowering the military's warfighting mentality. Heck, in Vietnam Abrams replaced the 5th SF CO with a leg because he didn't like SF. The guy didn't last 2 weeks but still. We had race relations classes back in the 1970's, we had mandatory classes on women in the military in the 1970's, heck in 1982 there was a civilian ****** flight instructor and we had strict instructions to not treat "her" any differently, doing so put both your job and career in serious peril. Miley was a good soldier in a tough job at a tough moment in our times. His replacement will, IMO, be even more "woke." And the US military will be even better.
Milley may not be "fully woke" but I know multiple senior leaders that were disappointed in his approach. Not the person you are describing.
bigtruckguy3500

I don't know much about the man. But as anyone who has served in the military in a position of leadership will tell you, sometimes you have to bite your tongue, and let blame fall on you/refrain from blaming others, in order to serve the greater mission.
Strong Men Armed
I believe General Milley did a very creditable job under two very different Commanders-in-Chief. Each of them was a challenge to work for. I doubt that any other flag officer could have done better, all things considered. Did he make mistakes as Chairman JCS? At least one, for which he owned and apologized. Did he carry out lawful orders from the Commander-in-Chief that went against the advice of the Joint Chiefs? Yes, because that's what his commissioning oath called for.

If the skeptics would examine his professional vitae a little closer they would see a career with an emphasis on troop-leading assignments, with considerable combat experience. He wasn't a Beltway Bandit or a career denizen of the Pentagon.

He was the right person for the job during the time in which he served.
Fly Army 97
stallion6 said:

OldArmyCT said:

Milley may not be "fully woke" but I know multiple senior leaders that were disappointed in his approach. Not the person you are describing.
I know many senior leaders who were fine with his approach. That doesn't make a consensus....but I think most people focus on his career WRT those three things they might know about him. I've worked near-ish to him in several capacities...never 'for' him. I always knew intent, and I always saw him drive the change others didn't have the will or capacity to make. And all throughout, I always saw a warfighter who wanted to get us trained to do battle when called. Just my two cents and maybe all its worth.
74OA
AG
CT'97 said:

LMCane said:

F4GIB71 said:

You have no clue what you are talking about. The guys is a fighter pilots, fighter pilot.
Brown will be an outstanding Chairman and his extensive experience in the Pacific will be particularly valuable when dealing with China issues.

CJCS
BIO
CharlieBrown17
AG
Most importantly about Brown, he was running the Air Force for a large part of my Active Duty career and I rarely received force wide emails or saw interviews/articles that made me shake my head.

Seems like a put your head down and get your job kind of guy, at least to the extent that you can be at that level.
Hey Nav
AG

Aim High. Go Air Force.
Fly Army 97
74OA said:

CT'97 said:

LMCane said:

F4GIB71 said:

Brown will be an outstanding Chairman and his extensive experience in the Pacific will be particularly valuable when dealing with China issues.

CJCS
BIO
Same....tell me you have no idea what you are talking about without telling me you have no idea what you are talking about. Though I'd also argue that GEN Brown proved beyond just being a fighter pilot, that is well qualified to excel as the Chairman. I think one can be very effective as a Chairman given their experiences across combatant commands, service component commands (Army Europe, PAC Air Force, etc), and especially how they all link into and out of the Pentagon (Joint Staff/OSD/NSC/etc.).
harleyds2
AG
miley was a traitor
CT'97
AG
No he wasn't, please go back to the politics board with this ignorant statement.
Aggie Therapist
AG
harleyds2 said:

miley was a traitor

No he wasn't. Dude dedicated his whole life to the US Army and his country.

What a trash post.
You’re not alone—the Veterans Crisis Line is here for you. You don’t have to be enrolled in VA benefits or health care to call.

Dial 988 Press 1
DevilD77
AG
The fact that he stated that if Trump had been planning military action against China he would have warned his Chinese counterpart is basically admitting he would have committed treason.
I may have to grow old, but I don't have to grow up!
Hey Nav
AG
https://military-history.fandom.com/wiki/Mark_Milley

Milley's bio. What's yours ?

PanzerAggie06
AG
Woke or not Milley needed to put his fat ass on a damn diet. Watching fatty bust out of his uniform as he waddled about DC was pathetic.
Aggie Therapist
AG
PanzerAggie06 said:

Woke or not Milley needed to put his fat ass on a damn diet. Watching fatty bust out of his uniform as he waddled about DC was pathetic.

Stfu you dirty leg.

Shove that M1 up your ass
You’re not alone—the Veterans Crisis Line is here for you. You don’t have to be enrolled in VA benefits or health care to call.

Dial 988 Press 1
PanzerAggie06
AG
Aggie Therapist said:

PanzerAggie06 said:

Stfu you dirty leg.

M1A1…. get it correct.
Aggie Therapist
AG
PanzerAggie06 said:

Aggie Therapist said:

PanzerAggie06 said:

Stfu you dirty leg.

M1A1…. get it correct.

Got to fire one once in Korea. Nice little death machine.

You do know they are on the SEPV4 now and it's M1A2?

Dial 988 Press 1
CanyonAg77
AG
Aggie Therapist said:

harleyds2 said:

miley was a traitor
No he wasn't. Dude dedicated his whole life to the US Army and his country.

What a trash post.

Quote:

DevilD77

The fact that he stated that if Trump had been planning military action against China he would have warned his Chinese counterpart is basically admitting he would have committed treason.

This is where I come down. He may have had a stellar career, but this little temper tantrum revealed his failings.

Sort of like Benedict Arnold was a hero of the American Revolution...until he got butthurt and became a traitor.
CT'97
AG
DevilD77 said:

Were the back channel communications during the Cuban missile crisis also treason? Try reading up on the Able Archer incident and see how close we came to nuclear war in 83. I'm comfortable knowing that he wouldn't allow a surprise attack like we sustained at Pearl Harbor. Let Trump saber rattle and dick measure over how "big his button is." Milley did what needed to be done. He swore an oath to the constitution not Trump. His loyalty is the United States of America and it's people not an individual.

Back channel communications are key to our staying out of a conflict that would end all life on earth.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

Try reading up on the Able Archer incident and see how close we came to nuclear war in 83

Interesting choice of examples, as part of the reason it did not go to war was a Soviet Double Agent working for MI6.

Also, no one back channeled, and no one was going against Presidential orders.
Aggie Therapist
AG
CT'97 said:

DevilD77 said:

Were the back channel communications during the Cuban missile crisis also treason? Try reading up on the Able Archer incident and see how close we came to nuclear war in 83. I'm comfortable knowing that he wouldn't allow a surprise attack like we sustained at Pearl Harbor. Let Trump saber rattle and dick measure over how "big his button is." Milley did what needed to be done. He swore an oath to the constitution not Trump. His loyalty is the United States of America and it's people not an individual.

Back channel communications are key to our staying out of a conflict that would end all life on earth.

Can't blue star this enough.

Love how the Trumpets claimed to be very supportive of our military and troops, but as soon as it doesn't fit the narrative, they will trash the Army claiming that its woke and throw out comments like "what's the point of joining" or "were doomed". And most of these people have never spent a day in uniform and don't understand the brotherhood or camaraderie.

Had multiple people on F16 said I should have left the Army instead of receiving the Covid vaccine. I told them that I was 12 years into my active duty service, have a family to take care of and its how I put food on the table, yet they still called me woke and that I should go awol.

Idiots.

Dial 988 Press 1
DevilD77
AG
Aggie Therapist said:

CT'97 said:

DevilD77 said:

Love how the Trumpets claimed to be very supportive of our military and troops, but as soon as it doesn't fit the narrative, they will trash the Army claiming that its woke and throw out comments like "what's the point of joining" or "were doomed". And most of these people have never spent a day in uniform and don't understand the brotherhood or camaraderie.

Had multiple people on F16 said I should have left the Army instead of receiving the Covid vaccine. I told them that I was 12 years into my active duty service, have a family to take care of and its how I put food on the table, yet they still called me woke and that I should go awol.

Idiots.
Back channel communications with the knowledge and consent of the CIC is one thing, giving our enemy a warning that could very well cost additional American lives is another. If Miley thought Trump was going to do something stupid, get the Joint Chiefs to take a united stand, refuse to obey what they consider an illegal, immoral, or unethical order, and take their case to Congress. You don't provide information to the enemy with out the knowledge and consent of the CIC.
I may have to grow old, but I don't have to grow up!
CT'97
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

Try reading up on the Able Archer incident and see how close we came to nuclear war in 83

Interesting choice of examples, as part of the reason it did not go to war was a Soviet Double Agent working for MI6.

Also, no one back channeled, and no one was going against Presidential orders.
That's the point, without back channel communications we were probably minutes from killing everyone on earth. Let that sink in. It certainly had an impact on Reagan. So much so that he completely changed how he was dealing with the Soviets.

Back channel communications happen all the time. They are a legitimate and important.
Aggie Therapist
AG
DevilD77 said:

Aggie Therapist said:

CT'97 said:

DevilD77 said:

Idiots.
Back channel communications with the knowledge and consent of the CIC is one thing, giving our enemy a warning that could very well cost additional American lives is another. If Miley thought Trump was going to do something stupid, get the Joint Chiefs to take a united stand, refuse to obey what they consider an illegal, immoral, or unethical order, and take their case to Congress. You don't provide information to the enemy with out the knowledge and consent of the CIC.

Given Milley's background of unconventional warfare and experience, he's play chess that comes off as checkers to those who who only see things in black and white.

And completely agree with CT97. This stuff happens all the time. Hell, even during the Civil War, Generals would send horseback messengers to each other and would talk behind the scenes. And you could go back way further.

This stuff isn't new.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.