General Milley

11,613 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by Buck Turgidson
74OA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
74OA
AG
None of that makes Milley a traitor. He dedicated his entire adult life to serving our nation. You can disagree with his decisions or his execution of the president's decisions, but people calling him a traitor should be ashamed.
Strong Men Armed
So when the suits in the SecDef's office and the National Security Council decide to evacuate from Kabul without delay, and POTUS and SecDef tell JcS to make it happen and have it by a certain date, how is General Milley the fall guy? Do you have any idea how much equipment was left behind in Vietnam? A lot. Bottom line on the gear left in Kabul: it was a bad optic, but one caused by political leaders. I feel much worse about our interpreters left behind, but again… the Department of State's fingerprints are all over that one. Again, suits. Want to blame the Biden administration? Have at it. Plenty of evidence to support it.
Noblemen06
AG
More like SecDef ordered Gen Miller to withdraw. CJCS is the principal military advisor to POTUS and SecDef ...and doesn't have command authority.

Our history is full of civilian leadership not taking the military's advice, for good and for bad.
Strong Men Armed
Concur.
bigtruckguy3500
I had friends on that MEU. I don't think the operation was as clear cut as you're making it out to be. It certainly could have gone better, a lot better. But I think hindsight is 20/20. No one knew how the situation was going to evolve. What if that "situation control" you say we had was suddenly lost due to a split faction in the government that didn't want to play nice? What if we tried staying and evacuating longer, but then a mortar hit a C17 trying to take off, or took out the runway?

I mean, I think if we wanted to maintain control of the air base, or any land in the vicinity, we would have had to commit to much more than a MEU. And would have likely ended up with a lot more than 10 KIA.

It's pretty easy to arm chair quarterback a military operation from home. It's also not that hard to solve solve every problem in the Marine Corps, and know the tactical answer to any conflict, when you're a sergeant, or even a lance.

I'm not combat arms, so I don't know what the solution is. I think Milley had some issues. He also had no operational control over the military as the chairman of the joint chiefs.
stallion6
AG
Fly Army 97 said:

stallion6 said:

OldArmyCT said:

If you think Milley is woke you haven't really paid attention to CoS history. You don't make 4 stars without being extremely political, and you don't stay there by lowering the military's warfighting mentality. Heck, in Vietnam Abrams replaced the 5th SF CO with a leg because he didn't like SF. The guy didn't last 2 weeks but still. We had race relations classes back in the 1970's, we had mandatory classes on women in the military in the 1970's, heck in 1982 there was a civilian ****** flight instructor and we had strict instructions to not treat "her" any differently, doing so put both your job and career in serious peril. Miley was a good soldier in a tough job at a tough moment in our times. His replacement will, IMO, be even more "woke." And the US military will be even better.
Milley may not be "fully woke" but I know multiple senior leaders that were disappointed in his approach. Not the person you are describing.
I know many senior leaders who were fine with his approach. That doesn't make a consensus....but I think most people focus on his career WRT those three things they might know about him. I've worked near-ish to him in several capacities...never 'for' him. I always knew intent, and I always saw him drive the change others didn't have the will or capacity to make. And all throughout, I always saw a warfighter who wanted to get us trained to do battle when called. Just my two cents and maybe all its worth.
Agree with one comment, he certainly drove change. I commanded and have friends that commanded at high levels. We will just have to disagree that he created war fighting change.
stallion6
AG
Aggie Therapist said:

PanzerAggie06 said:

Aggie Therapist said:

PanzerAggie06 said:

Woke or not Milley needed to put his fat ass on a damn diet. Watching fatty bust out of his uniform as he waddled about DC was pathetic.

Stfu you dirty leg.

Shove that M1 up your ass

M1A1…. get it correct.

Got to fire one once in Korea. Nice little death machine.

You do know they are on the SEPV4 now and it's M1A2?
Just now in the process of fielding SEPV3. Not going to do V4. Modernization focus will be on M1E3.
CT'97
AG
stallion6 said:

Fly Army 97 said:

stallion6 said:

OldArmyCT said:

If you think Milley is woke you haven't really paid attention to CoS history. You don't make 4 stars without being extremely political, and you don't stay there by lowering the military's warfighting mentality. Heck, in Vietnam Abrams replaced the 5th SF CO with a leg because he didn't like SF. The guy didn't last 2 weeks but still. We had race relations classes back in the 1970's, we had mandatory classes on women in the military in the 1970's, heck in 1982 there was a civilian ****** flight instructor and we had strict instructions to not treat "her" any differently, doing so put both your job and career in serious peril. Miley was a good soldier in a tough job at a tough moment in our times. His replacement will, IMO, be even more "woke." And the US military will be even better.
Milley may not be "fully woke" but I know multiple senior leaders that were disappointed in his approach. Not the person you are describing.
I know many senior leaders who were fine with his approach. That doesn't make a consensus....but I think most people focus on his career WRT those three things they might know about him. I've worked near-ish to him in several capacities...never 'for' him. I always knew intent, and I always saw him drive the change others didn't have the will or capacity to make. And all throughout, I always saw a warfighter who wanted to get us trained to do battle when called. Just my two cents and maybe all its worth.
Agree with one comment, he certainly drove change. I commanded and have friends that commanded at high levels. We will just have to disagree that he created war fighting change.

Much the same could be said about the changes Shinseki initiated, many of which we are apparently begining to reverse as we stress LSCO going forward.

But that's an entirely different discussion than we have been having on this thread. Disagreeing with the mans changes to the Army and calling him a traitor to his country are very different things.
Tanker123
Those who claim the military is all woke are infinitely silly. The Indo-Pacific Combatant Commander is focused on how he will fight and sustain the +300,000 service members in the Pacific Region. He has to plan how he would fight China. Folks who throw around the word woke don't know how the military works. The military is in the business of preventing wars through strength and winning wars by putting steel on targets. There is little substance to accusations of a woke military. When commanders brief about their Mission Essential Task Lists, they focus on warfighting and supporting it.
WolfCall
AG
Milley doesn't seem to have as much of a positive following on the Politics Forum as he does here on the Military Forum:

https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3455768
Quote:

milley and other generals delayed ng on j6 because trump is hitler
"The day after Trump gave the green light, Acting Defense Secretary Christopher Miller sent a memorandum to Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy, giving him the authority to support local law enforcement through the Defense Support of Civil Authorities regime. When McCarthy sent Walker his own Jan. 5, 2021, memorandum, the Army secretary placed two extraordinary restrictions on the National Guard. First, he withheld Walker's permission to order the quick reaction force. Second, he required the DCNG to submit a detailed plan before asking his permission to act. The three generals who delayed the DCNG's J6 deployment were Army Staff Director Lt. Gen. Walter A. Piatt, Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations Lt. Gen. Charles A. Flynn, and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Mark A. Milley,"

"Milley routinely tied Trump to Hitler and the Nazi party. He spoke of the Gospel of the Fuhrer, comparing the President of the United States elected by millions of Americans to the leader of Nazi Germany. Milley would also say he was looking out for an event that would give Trump the excuse to suspend the Constitution. He talked about a Reichstag moment," the colonel said. Soon after Adolf Hitler took power in Germany, there was a Feb. 27, 1933, fire at Germany's parliament building, the Reichstag. Hitler, the elected chancellor, suspended civil liberties and began his dictatorship. "Milley was suggesting that the president himself would do something such today, did this [without] any basis," he said. "Trump had never violated, never asked anybody in the military to violate the law, so, to me, it was outrageous," he said.
https://redstate.com/mccabe/2024/04/17/exclusive-army-j6-whistleblower-testifies-that-pentagon-delayed-of-national-guard-reaching-capitol-n2172890

Quote:

You voted for this because you didn't like Mean Tweets?!
Buck Turgidson
I don't have any comment on his earlier career, but he disgraced himself at the end.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.