USS Constitution

1,159 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by LMCane
Tanker123
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any fans of the ship? I believe she is the oldest functioning warship. I won't pretend to be an expert, and will share what little I know about her. I believe there is a forest dedicated to the ship for repairs.

The US Navy had a relatively small budget. Therefore, a lot of quality was put into making the USS Constitution. I believe some of the technology used to build her was radical and her hull was approximately 21 inches thick. She was named Old Ironsides because cannon balls bounced off the hull even at point blank range. I believe the ship won all the battles that was committed to.
drums
AG
When I see that ship or one like it I just marvel at what a hard life it was for anyone to go to sea, especially the common enlisted sailor. Working in the rigging during normal times was difficult and dangerous. When the seas got rough it was probably downright terrifying. Couple that with the miserable living conditions, the bad food, and having to engage in combat, the phrase "iron men in wooden ships" is very fitting. Life on a modern frigate was difficult, but nothing like what those men endured.
74OA
AG
Still an active USN warship, the Constitution has been renovated many times, most recently starting in 2015.

REPAIRS
MAST
Rabid Cougar
AG
I was disappointed that they use dressed up breach loading signal guns instead of good ol' Long 24 Pounders. Guess they didn't want to set off every car alarm in the area when they fired them.

It is an awesome experience though. Hard to imagine over 450 men living on that though...
Tanker123
Sailors of the old drank wine and beer because water went bad. I suppose they got built up a tolerance to the alcohol. Sometimes the contracts stipulated how much beef the sailors were given to eat, and sometimes it was a lot of beef. I can't imagine going through storms in ships like that.
LMCane
I went to school in Boston and when I lived in CT for two years went to the Boston July 4 weekend.

Constitution was out under her own power in the Harbor moving around. Amazing!
LMCane
USS Constellation in Baltimore Inner Harbor

not as impressive as Old Ironsides but still a big tourist draw

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.