Vietnam War Widow Visits Vietnam To See Where Her Young Husband Died

2,033 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by OldArmyCT
Tanker123
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I read this poignant story several years ago. The widow would eventually be guided to the location by the VC who shot down the helicopter her young husband was flying. Vietnam War widow meets the man who shot down her husband - Task & Purpose (taskandpurpose.com)
CanyonAg77
AG
See next post
CanyonAg77
AG
Dug through some old TexAgs threads, and figured out why I thought it was fake.

When you used to post as ArmyTanker, you were posting this and other stories as if they were you own words, and not attributing them to their actual authors.

https://texags.com/forums/49/topics/3160627/replies/58037155
OldArmyCT
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

When you used to post as ArmyTanker, you were posting this and other stories as if they were you own words, and not attributing them to their actual authors.

Bingo. This was an AY thread too. OP caught so much flak over it that he's disappeared.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

OP caught so much flak over it that he's disappeared.

ArmyTanker hasn't posted since 2020. This is a new handle.

He's baaaaaaaacccccccccccckkkkkkkkk
rilloaggie
AG
He was Red1 in the interim also.
Tanker123
CanyonAg77 said:

You were quite adamant that it was a fake story and you were right.
CanyonAg77
AG
It seemed very likely to be fake, but I found it in reputable publications

What was fake, was how you copied it without attribution, making it appear you were claiming the story as your own
Tanker123
No. I said it was an essay based on a true story which you vociferously said was false. If I write an essay about the P-51s being a Revolution in Military Affairs, then am I taking credit for P-51s? haha
OldArmyCT
AG
This story has been published as fact and dismissed as false by just about every Vietnam helicopter pilot (which I was). First off OH-6's rarely flew alone, they also weren't used in admin missions. Somebody had to be there when he went down. 2nd 1200' was the small arms avoidance altitude, not 2000'. Scouts flew at tree top level accompanied by Cobra's, not at altitude. Finally the chances of a widow finding the VC who shot down her husband are almost nil. The military has had, and still does have, trained teams looking for MIA remains. Most of the "enemy" they've encountered were fake, looking for money. My unit still has 10 crewmen still there, we're in direct contact with those searching for them and they're still lost. In my opinion Mrs Taylor and her Air Force husband were duped.
BiggiesLX
OldArmyCT, Thank you for your service and insight. I had no idea the military is still leading search efforts for MIA's and assumed it was led by non-profits. Do all branches deploy members in search attempts and if so, who may be eligible?

And if you're familiar, at Randolph AFB Vietnam vet pilots are allowed to fly the T-38s one last time. Is there a program similar the Army has for you helo guys?
OldArmyCT
AG
There are a few organizations offering Huey rides, if there are any allowing pilots to actually fly, I don't know of any, and I'm fairly well dialed in.. I could probably safely fly a Huey today but would need help starting it correctly.I don't want to come off as an a-hole but I've always had a problem with people inflating their military service. For example, a Finance officer espousing Sun Tzu like he experienced combat just bugs me. And I've always had a problem with non-combat vets claiming PTSD benefits. Lots of people disagree with me but how a company clerk comes home with severe PTSD just baffles me. If the VA offered treatment instead of money those numbers would drop. And anyone not trained in PTSD treatment trying to help people also baffles me. I guess I'm what some consider a curmudgeon.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.