Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,290,071 Views | 10563 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Objective Aggie
QBCade
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cecil77 said:

Wow. Just looked at all the promotions they're doing and the prices involved.

My guess is that wine sales are really down and they're doing all they can to preserve/generate revenue.

As Roy's Gazette article discusses in detail, the direction Napa prices are heading is unsustainable.

And it's getting really bad for the small guys...

Was California's Wine Revolution Just a Mirage?

The simple fact is that there is too much wine. And, living in CA is really expensive. Hence, it's expensive to make here and too much competition. Quality and production has gone up, but consumption is going down.
Chipotlemonger
AG
QBCade said:

cecil77 said:

My guess is that wine sales are really down and they're doing all they can to preserve/generate revenue.

As Roy's Gazette article discusses in detail, the direction Napa prices are heading is unsustainable.

The simple fact is that there is too much wine. And, living in CA is really expensive. Hence, it's expensive to make here and too much competition. Quality and production has gone up, but consumption is going down.
This is true, but the state still produces plenty of wine at lower price points profitably. A lot of this high end/cult level pricing being discussed (Realm) has nothing to do with production of the actual wine. It's going further into the luxury good category after a certain point.

To the last point, yes consumption is going down overall. Seeing it across BevAlc. I think a lot of companies got comfortable with a couple of bloated years (2020 and 2021) and have been struggling since then amidst expectations of continued good performance and growth. Alcohol, like the rest of the economy, rode a big wave in the 2010s and it's been a hard few post-Covid years.
QBCade
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

QBCade said:

cecil77 said:

This is true, but the state still produces plenty of wine at lower price points profitably. A lot of this high end/cult level pricing being discussed (Realm) has nothing to do with production of the actual wine. It's going further into the luxury good category after a certain point.

To the last point, yes consumption is going down overall. Seeing it across BevAlc. I think a lot of companies got comfortable with a couple of bloated years (2020 and 2021) and have been struggling since then amidst expectations of continued good performance and growth. Alcohol, like the rest of the economy, rode a big wave in the 2010s and it's been a hard few post-Covid years.

Agree. The article was discussing how young, talented wine makers are having trouble. One of their issues is paying their living expenses when they don't make any money on wine. Having to buy grapes/juice and rent space, material makes it tough to make an inexpensive wine.
QBCade
AG
QBCade said:

Chipotlemonger said:

QBCade said:

cecil77 said:

Agree. The article was discussing how young, talented wine makers are having trouble. One of their issues is paying their living expenses when they don't make any money on wine. Having to buy grapes/juice and rent space, material makes it tough to make an inexpensive wine.

To pile on my own post, as I live in CA, I've always tried to buy 99% CA wine. Like to support local. However, the pricing is out of control. So, while I do still buy 99% CA, I've killed all my wine subs and have only bought action for the last 6+ months.
cecil77
cecil77
AG
Australia pulling tens of millions of grape vines.

But producers that have operated conservatively and developed loyal followings and NOT succumbed to massive price increases can still do well.
ATL Aggie
AG
I'm in Tampa a few times a year for work and try to get to Berns at least once year year.
WestUAg
AG
Let's have our own realm wine dinner, we can go to a few restaurants in town that will allow us to BYOB. We all bring a bottle or 2 and we will have a much better time than going to that overpriced tasting..
htxag09
AG
ATL Aggie said:

I'm in Tampa a few times a year for work and try to get to Berns at least once year year.

This is what was waiting at our table when they took us
htxag09
AG
WestUAg said:

Let's have our own realm wine dinner, we can go to a few restaurants in town that will allow us to BYOB. We all bring a bottle or 2 and we will have a much better time than going to that overpriced tasting..

Honestly I was thinking the same thing.
BSD
AG
Makes three of us.
BSD
AG
Speaking of BYO…anyone have any new Houston spots? We do Pizarro's most often because it's good pizza and super casual. KP Kitchen is really close so it's in the rotation as well. Then Porta Vino and Lucia's round out the list with less frequent visits. Would love to have more here but Texas just isn't BYO friendly.
WestUAg
AG
Amore on shepherd, Uchi is always a nice byob spot, Himalaya, Lucios byob. I have a few other spots that I byo but they aren't usually byo…happy to have dinner together at any of these spots just let me know.

bularry
BSD said:

Makes three of us.
sounds fun, but I don't have any Realm. I can bring something else.....
cecil77
AG
bularry said:

BSD said:

Makes three of us.
sounds fun, but I don't have any Realm. I can bring something else.....
I've some Realm I'm never gonna drink. Pick one. I'll contribute. (Not the Absurd )

QBCade
AG
Cheapskate.
QBCade
AG
Oh, and I'd take the Bards and Houyi off your hands if you don't want them.
cecil77
AG
QBCade said:

Oh, and I'd take the Bards and Houyi off your hands if you don't want them.
Sure what ever I paid, or preferably an interesting trade.
Objective Aggie
AG
Had back to back nights of two star Michelin restaurants and the wines pairings were great.

First was D.O.M. in So Paulo with famed chef Alex Atalla. He was actually there that night and served several of our courses and invited us back to the kitchen. He had a mix of Brazilian, French, Portuguese and other wines. Everything was great.

We then went to Aramburu in Buenos Aires and I have never been to anything close. A surreal dining experience. I'll post a few of my favorite wines and I think they all were Argentinean.

BSD
AG
Niiice!
cecil77
AG
I'll just go shoot myself now...

Tonight 2012 Ch Canon and now on to 2016 BV Georges LaTour Private Reserve.
aggiejumper
AG
How was the Gascon bubbly?
QBCade
AG
Objective Aggie said:

Had back to back nights of two star Michelin restaurants and the wines pairings were great.

First was D.O.M. in So Paulo with famed chef Alex Atalla. He was actually there that night and served several of our courses and invited us back to the kitchen. He had a mix of Brazilian, French, Portuguese and other wines. Everything was great.

We then went to Aramburu in Buenos Aires and I have never been to anything close. A surreal dining experience. I'll post a few of my favorite wines and I think they all were Argentinean.

looks amazing

QBCade
AG
Happy Friday all

East Dallas Ag
AG
Incredible, honeymoon?
bularry
I have never tried an old Hermitage.... so how was it?
bularry
looks amazing... Wow!!
cecil77
AG
What a blessing. Very few people on the planet have such an experience!
Objective Aggie
AG
aggiejumper said:

How was the Gascon bubbly?

It was quite good. Clean crisp not overly sweet. I would buy.
First Page Refresh
Page 302 of 302

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.