**********************TEQUILA************************
20,125 Views | 157 Replies
Bruce Almighty
1:54p, 7/18/23
In reply to Milwaukees Best Light
Milwaukees Best Light said:

What is a good tequila in the $35 range. Only for ranch water. Just getting into this and it is slightly overwhelming.
For cheaper tequila, I really like Espolon. It's what I always use when I make large batch margaritas, and I think it's as good as most tequilas that are 20 dollars more.
Comanche
2:18p, 7/18/23
I like Lalo and Ocho Plata-both blancos.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
12:52p, 7/19/23

What is a good tequila in the $35 range. Only for ranch water. Just getting into this and it is slightly overwhelming.

El Tequileño, Tres Agaves, Tapatio all come to mind and all are around $30 and very very solid.
lazuras_dc
6:59p, 7/19/23
I'm transitioning into more tequilas these days. Anyone have some good tequilas that are hard to find they'd want to trade for allocated bourbon? Let me know what you got and your valuations. I've got some stuff like stagg Jr , EHTsiB,Eagle rare store pick, 4rosesLE, etc.
turfman80
7:58p, 7/19/23
Bought a bottle of Mijenta blanco. Very disappointed, as the taste is extremely vegetal, herbal, grassy and rubbing alcohol tasting. Also have some Sueno de Atzo repasodo, which tastes great. So wondering what's up with my taste buds.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
jackie childs
8:57a, 7/20/23
In reply to lazuras_dc
lazuras_dc said:

I'm transitioning into more tequilas these days. Anyone have some good tequilas that are hard to find they'd want to trade for allocated bourbon? Let me know what you got and your valuations. I've got some stuff like stagg Jr , EHTsiB,Eagle rare store pick, 4rosesLE, etc.
is there anything in particular you're looking for? i don't have much, but one of my local spots i frequent has a decent selection and i can keep my eye out for you.
lazuras_dc
10:07a, 7/20/23
Nothing too crazy specific. I don't know MUCH about tequilas. Ive heard good things about forteleza. I want to get tears of llorona and Dame Mas
4:43p, 7/20/23
In reply to turfman80
turfman80 said:

Bought a bottle of Mijenta blanco. Very disappointed, as the taste is extremely vegetal, herbal, grassy and rubbing alcohol tasting. Also have some Sueno de Atzo repasodo, which tastes great. So wondering what's up with my taste buds.

Strange bc Mijenta is very well thought of. I know I really enjoyed it, but everyone's palate is different. That said, Blancos do have that straight agave/vegetal/earthy/grassy notes, compared to the aged flavors you usually get in repos of caramel, baking spices, vanilla. Are you traditionally a bourbon drinker? I know I am (still) so my palate wasn't used those more raw flavors in a blanco initially. Drank for repos and añejos as sippers until my palate adjusted
CactusThomas
9:33p, 7/20/23

Cimarron reposado is another to consider. Its decent and available. $30 at specs.
jackie childs
9:55p, 7/20/23
Anybody has the siete laguas decades?
sirhc
7:56a, 7/21/23
Any of y'all have a lead on Fortaleza anjeo?
Bruce Almighty
8:10a, 7/21/23
Fortaleza is getting hard to find. I had to buy my last bottle online.
Ezra Brooks
8:21a, 7/21/23
In reply to jh0400
jh0400 said:

SpiderDude said:

LoneStarBQ said:

Clase Azul Reposado

Sure. If you love sweeteners and additives. It's an excellent example of what can be accomplished when you adulterate the **** out of an agave spirit.

This isn't exclusive to Clase Azul. Most tequila out there these days is loaded with artificial colors, flavor, and sweetener. 1942 might as well be cream soda with the amount of sugar and vanilla that's in it. If you don't believe me try it next to Tesoro Extra Añejo. The two could not be more different.

How do you know/find out what is added? Most bottles are just labeled 100% Agave.
jh0400
8:52a, 7/21/23
In reply to Ezra Brooks
https://tastetequila.com/2023/confirmed-additive-free-tequila-brands/
jackie childs
8:59a, 7/21/23
there's a pretty useful "blue book" for bourbons, but is there something reliable for tequilas?
AustinCountyAg
9:12p, 7/21/23
Anyone had Juan lobo before?
Chipotlemonger
11:39p, 7/21/23
In reply to AustinCountyAg
Not me.

Also curious about good resources y'all use. I've seen some out there but they weren't clean/up to date.

Popped open a crystal anejo tonight, what are y'all's thoughts on that style?
Matsui
3:25p, 7/22/23
Yes. Excellent. From 1414. Additive free
Matsui
3:26p, 7/22/23
Matsui
3:28p, 7/22/23
Also this brand is aggie owned. From nom 1414 and additive free. Rumblings are it will be the official tequila of aggie football this fall

Matsui
In reply to jackie childs
Tequila matchmaker app and website
Matsui
In reply to Chipotlemonger
Tequila matchmaker app and website
Milwaukees Best Light
7:40p, 7/22/23
Well the mid sized specs I stopped at didn't have any of the four tequilas recommended here. Being a sucker for a sale, I opted for El Amo reposado for just over $30. I think taxed up it was $35. Anyway, very happy with the ranch water I made this afternoon. I can feel the love.
Matsui
11:34p, 7/22/23
There are usually quite a few of additive free tequilas at mid sized specs.
Orome
2:46p, 7/23/23
Like others have said the Tequila Matchmaker app is a great source for discovering additive free brands. Used to be a big Fortaleza fan, but I feel like Tequila Ocho has been my go to recently. Especially their widow Jane repos.
3:22p, 7/23/23
In reply to Chipotlemonger
Chipotlemonger said:

Popped open a crystal anejo tonight, what are y'all's thoughts on that style?

Not a fan personally. Seems like a way to significantly upcharge on something while also stripping away a lot of the flavor and character that I like in an añejo. But maybe I haven't had a good one. Different strokes though. Do a side by side with a regular añejo and let us know what you think.
3:24p, 7/23/23
In reply to Orome
Orome said:

Like others have said the Tequila Matchmaker app is a great source for discovering additive free brands. Used to be a big Fortaleza fan, but I feel like Tequila Ocho has been my go to recently. Especially their widow Jane repos.

I saw the widow Jane Tequila Ocho at my usual store and haven't tried it. Do you pick up on the usual bourbon notes?
Cowboy Curtis
2:03p, 7/28/23
I picked up Fortaleza Blanco, Reposado, and Anejo at Total Wine today. Grab 'em while you can.
turfman80
3:33p, 7/28/23
which location?
Cowboy Curtis
3:38p, 7/28/23
In reply to turfman80
Sunset Valley. You can search their website and browse store locations to see if they have any in stock.
turfman80
3:43p, 7/28/23
Thx. In CS though and no luck.
jh0400
4:32p, 7/28/23
In reply to Cowboy Curtis
Cowboy Curtis said:

I picked up Fortaleza Blanco, Reposado, and Anejo at Total Wine today. Grab 'em while you can.

I was able to order a blanco for pickup tomorrow at the Galleria store. Let's see if it fulfills.
Orome
10:22p, 7/28/23
In reply to HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
I'm not a big bourbon drinker so I can't exactly tell you if it hits normal bourbon notes, but I can tell you the barrels they age it in make it a very smooth sipper with flavor that complements the agave exceptionally. My wife hates tequila but even she likes this one. Recommend trying to get a bottle if it's in your price range!
texags79
7:55p, 7/31/23
Anyone familiar with Agazul? Received Blanco and Reposado as a gift.

https://agazultequila.com/
reedsterg
9:29p, 7/31/23
In reply to Orome
I've been trying to find it for a while now and have never seen it anywhere.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 2 of 5
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings