1:24p, 8/10/23
In reply to MarathonAg12
MarathonAg12 said:

LALO

Good recommendation, thanks.
lazuras_dc
10:39p, 8/10/23
In reply to CactusThomas
Joe at Liquid Town swears by Lalo. I still haven't tried it as I've always liked the reposados or anejos better. But hearing more and more from this brand lately.
Orome
10:42p, 8/10/23
Lalo is a solid blanco. Great for sipping or margaritas
CactusThomas
6:11a, 8/11/23
In reply to lazuras_dc
Yes, it is the first blanco I've really liked sipping. I typically stayed with the reposados.
Matsui
9:47a, 8/11/23
Lalo is solid yes. Additive free. Their newest lote is outstanding.
wadd96
1:30p, 8/11/23
Just ordered a flight of Penta. One of the owners, Steve Reynolds, is a friend. Will report back.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
turfman80
7:43p, 8/11/23
I'm on my second bottle of Sueno de Atzo Reposado. Great as a sipper or in ranch water. I dont see it on the additive free list but the taste suits my taste buds.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
11:27a, 8/12/23
Lalo is fantastic at the price point. Honestly, it's just a crowd pleaser. Good enough to be a solid sipper but also cheap enough that I don't feel guilty making a marg out of it.
Gomer95
7:39p, 8/24/23
Anybody like 1800? We tried it on vacation and liked it.
Bigfootisreal
8:45p, 8/24/23
Picked up a bottle of Soledad Dos Barricas- so damn good. Ton of flavor, no burn, and no additive sweetness. Great sipper!
JohnnyShotgun
9:58p, 8/24/23
In reply to Gomer95
Gomer95 said:

Anybody like 1800? We tried it on vacation and liked it.
I'm glad you enjoyed it, and I'm not going to knock it, but tequila gets way better than this and you don't have to spend a fortune to do it. For the same price point you can buy some much tastier tequila. I would start with Olmeca Altos or Tequila Mi Campo. Both are low to mid $20's and taste superior to 1800.

Twin Liquors has the Mi Campo on sale for $20 right now for their dollar day sale. Keep on drinking what you like and don't be afraid to try new things. Tequilamatchmaker.com is a great site for reviews, product details, etc.
Matsui
8:25a, 8/25/23
In reply to Gomer95
move away from that stuff
CactusThomas
9:14a, 8/25/23
I like 1800
Gomer95
9:40a, 8/25/23
In reply to CactusThomas
I don't doubt there are better tequilas I don't know about but when we did a tequila tasting of several different ones on vacation we both really liked 1800. I don't know why some folks are like "ew gross what are you thinking" other than just, well it's Texags lol.
CactusThomas
9:58a, 8/25/23
In reply to Gomer95
They have an ap to tell them what to like.
JohnnyShotgun
10:50a, 8/25/23
Drink what you like, I just threw out some other options that you might like as well that are produced the traditional way using small ovens and tahonas versus mass produced, fast cooking autoclaves. 1800 is the Bill Miller BBQ of tequila, but if that is what you like then more power to you.
Gomer95
10:58a, 8/25/23
In reply to JohnnyShotgun
LOL "Bill Miller BBQ of tequila" haha.
NATE AG03
11:06a, 8/25/23
I'm a blanco guy.

Love Siete Leguas blanco, but I don't like that they have now started selling it in the smaller 700 ml bottles while increasing the price.

Tequila Ocho, Tapatio, and Lalo are also great.

Good cheapies: El Tequileno (mixto version), Olmeca Altos.

Gomer95
1:11p, 8/25/23
What about Carrera and El Jimador? Spec's guy had good things to say about them, especially Carrera.
JohnnyShotgun
2:10p, 8/25/23
In reply to Gomer95
Gomer95 said:

What about Carrera and El Jimador? Spec's guy had good things to say about them, especially Carrera.
Those two are on completely different sides of the spectrum. Carrera is what you are looking for in terms of how tequila should be made. The pina (heart of the agave) is cooked in traditional ovens, then the juice is crushed and squeezed out by roller mills, fermented in open air tanks and distilled twice in copper stills. This tequila is also additive (extra flavors like vanilla, caramel, etc.) free. Just tequila like it should be. Now you pay more for that slower, but correctly made tequila.

The El Jimador is now made by a process called acid thermal hydrolysis. It is the fastest cheapest way to produce tequila and the quality is terrible. They are a giant brand, but it is cheap below average tequila. This wasn't always the case, but it has been for awhile now.

For the price point of El Jimador, you should be buying Cabrito. It is made in the same spirit of Carrera but for a much lower price. They are not additive free, but it is still an excellent buy for the money. Just my opinion. I personally buy sizable amounts of it for large batches of margs, ranch waters, etc.

Keep the questions, coming. we are happy to help!
Gomer95
2:16p, 8/25/23
Wow that's cool. Thanks for the info. I'll try Carrera next time I get some. In your opinion, what's a great tequila for just ranch waters or homemade margaritas. That's what I use it for mostly.
JohnnyShotgun
2:50p, 8/25/23
Gomer, one thing you should look into is the difference between blancos and reposados. Blancos (or silver) is tequila straight out of the still and into the bottle. No aging, no barrels, no nada. Many people believe that this is what margs and ranch waters should be made with, and they are not wrong. I personally choose reposado tequila. Which literally means "rested". This tequila sits in oak barrels for various amount of time, typically 2-12 months. This resting gives the tequila a new flavor profile and color. The longer the barrel time, the darker the color and additonal flavors of the barrel. I just think it is a smoother, better product for my taste buds.

The repo and blanco can be the same price, but don't be surprised if it is $3-$5 more per bottle. I am a budget tequila guy because of the volume that my friends and family can drink (we are a bunch of Texicans) and we get together frequently. On the lower end of the price scale and still a quality tequila, my recommendations are:

Cabrito, Tequila Mi Campo, Extico, Espolon and Olmeca Altos

Next level up in cost and makes a killer cocktail would be:

LALO, Partida, Chinaco, and 100 more good options

Next Level up in cost but not recommended for mixing unless you are rich:

El Tesoro, Fortaleza, G4, Ocho Tequila, and Siete Leguas

Have fun finding out what you like!
Gomer95
2:54p, 8/25/23
Thanks so much for the list! I'll look around at all of them!
Ezra Brooks
3:25p, 8/25/23
Safe to assume all of the recommendations in the Low/Mid tier are additive free?
JohnnyShotgun
3:40p, 8/25/23
In reply to Ezra Brooks
Ezra Brooks said:

Safe to assume all of the recommendations in the Low/Mid tier are additive free?
No, unfortunately the additive free list is relatively small (but growing) and is currently at 98 brands. Here is the link to the list: https://tastetequila.com/2023/confirmed-additive-free-tequila-brands/

Mexico allows 1% additives to be added to tequila. The 4 additives are glycerin, caramel coloring, oak extract and jarabe (sugar syrup). The high end, popular bottles like Clase Azul, Don Julio, 1942, etc all use additives. The problem with the additives is the sweetener they use isn't just a little sugar, it is a 100 times sweeter than natural sugar, so 1% can make a huge difference in taste.
Matsui
4:37p, 8/25/23
Most of the lower brands and upper brands have additives.

Your tequila should never taste like maple syrup or vanilla or caramel
Matsui
4:38p, 8/25/23
Join north Texas tequila club on Fb. Don't have to live in north Texas. Pretty active group. Lots of tastings and educational events
Cowboy Curtis
5:06p, 8/25/23
Twin Liquors having their $1 sale right now. Lalo is $34 for example.
NATE AG03
9:10p, 8/27/23
In reply to Matsui
Matsui said:

Join north Texas tequila club on Fb. Don't have to live in north Texas. Pretty active group. Lots of tastings and educational events

Nice, will have to check some of those tastings out.
AustinCountyAg
11:13a, 8/28/23
Picked up a bottle of Codigo Blanco the other day. Not too bad for just sipping. Price wasn't too bad either right at $40.

Was fixing to get a bottle of Lalo but it was $3 more!!!
Matsui
1:57p, 8/28/23
In reply to AustinCountyAg
Codigo is good stuff. One of the only celebrity owned additive free tequilas
reedsterg
9:41p, 9/13/23
Does anyone know of anywhere in the Houston area that has Fortaleza in stock? I've been looking for a while, but haven't been able to find any.
Matsui
11:41a, 9/14/23
In reply to reedsterg
nope. the bourbon taters have gotten ahold of it. you can find it on secondary for $100. It isn't worth that. There are plenty of other additive free tequilas just as good

Siete Leguas
Tapatio
Don Vicente
Volans
Volcan
El Tesoro
ArteNom
Lalo
Wild Common
Yeyo
reedsterg
1:36p, 9/14/23
In reply to Matsui
Yeah, I'm familiar with most of those. Was trying to find a Fortaleza as a bday gift for a tequila person.
Stan Crowch
2:07p, 9/14/23
It's going to be March of next year before you will find it on the shelves anywhere again.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 3 of 5
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings