Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

**********************TEQUILA************************

18,648 Views | 154 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by Outdoorag011
LoneStarBQ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Clase Azul Reposado
LoneStarBQ Fightin' Texas Aggie Band Class of 89 Midland, TX
Bruce Almighty
AG
Espolon silver for margaritas
Fortaleza Anejo for sipping
Max06
AG
I really like Avion Repasado for price/quality
MarathonAg12
LALO when you can get it at Twins for Dollar Days.

$39.99
Know Your Enemy
AG
Max06 said:

I really like Avion Repasado for price/quality

Easily my favorite
jh0400
AG
https://tastetequila.com/2023/confirmed-additive-free-tequila-brands/
SpiderDude
AG
LoneStarBQ said:

Clase Azul Reposado

Sure. If you love sweeteners and additives. It's an excellent example of what can be accomplished when you adulterate the **** out of an agave spirit.

Edit: Don't take this as ****ting on you. I actually have a bottle and loved it for a time but realizing they charge a **** ton for something that's essentially flavored tequila turned me off. Same goes for Angel's Envy Finished Rye.
jh0400
AG
SpiderDude said:

LoneStarBQ said:

Clase Azul Reposado

Sure. If you love sweeteners and additives. It's an excellent example of what can be accomplished when you adulterate the **** out of an agave spirit.

This isn't exclusive to Clase Azul. Most tequila out there these days is loaded with artificial colors, flavor, and sweetener. 1942 might as well be cream soda with the amount of sugar and vanilla that's in it. If you don't believe me try it next to Tesoro Extra AƱejo. The two could not be more different.
SpiderDude
AG
Correct. You have to know what to avoid if you don't want it dolled up!
SpiderDude
AG
I follow this guy on IG... he's got tons of good tequila and Mezcal recommendations!

https://instagram.com/luifern?igshid=Y2IzZGU1MTFhOQ==
Matsui
AG
no no no

so many additives

agave isn't supposed to taste like maple syrup

Join North Texas Tequila Club on FB
Matsui
AG
also follow tequila collective on instagram or north texas tequila club
MarathonAg12
SpiderDude made a margarita with this and it was the best ever.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
https://instagram.com/thelucasassis?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

This is the guy I like for all things tequila and mezcal. Bc of his recommendations I have tried some I don't think I would have picked up on my own. Just off the top of my head:

La Gritona Reposado
G4
Cazcanes- easily my favorite. Have tried both the anejo and, blanco but not the repo yet
Arrete
Siete Leguas
Mijenta
Insolito

Each one of them was fantastic
AG
And it doesn't need to be said but just in case:

STAY AWAY FROM CELEBRITY TEQUILA!

It's almost all trash. A couple are ok if you are making batch margs or something like that, but if you are making cocktails or even a ranch water, i would stay far far away
Chipotlemonger
AG
Saw someone walking in the store with a bottle of 818 recently. From everything I've heard or read, it's objectively not a good tequila. And that may be putting it lightly.

On the flip side, I do see more positive talk around Teramana for what it's worth.

I've not tried either.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I haven't had it in forever, but Cabo Wabo was a decent celebrity tequila.
AustinCountyAg
Cabo wabo is very good for the price and I don't think they use artificial sweeteners in it like casamigo and 818.

Matsui
AG
not anymore
Matsui
AG
both of those are trash and 818 is appalling
Know Your Enemy
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

I haven't had it in forever, but Cabo Wabo was a decent celebrity tequila.
I haven't had Cabo Wabo since Sammy sold it but it was great before that. Haven't tried his Santo mezquila yet.
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Saw someone walking in the store with a bottle of 818 recently. From everything I've heard or read, it's objectively not a good tequila. And that may be putting it lightly.

On the flip side, I do see more positive talk around Teramana for what it's worth.

I've not tried either.

Have tried 818, and to call it trash is to put it mildly. Terremana is ok. More it's cheap so you get what you pay for. It's definitely not as awful as Casamigos or 818 or other trash like Cincoro (michael Jordan) or Coramino (Kevin hart) Cabo Wabo as has been discussed fell off a cliff IMO. Dos Hombres Mezcal (Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul ) is also not great as much as I wanted to like it. Maybe more just overpriced. There's a ton of others (seriously, how many damn celebrities are in the tequila game now?? JFC) I haven't tried and probably never will unless I get some trustworthy recs.

IMO Insolito is probably the best of the bunch (the band Midland), but that's a stretch to call them "celebrity" bc I sure as **** never heard of them. Codigo (George strait) is also pretty solid IMO.

That being said. If you are going to make some frozen margs or use some cheap store bought mixer, it'll all taste fine.
turfman80
AG
I learned my lesson with Casamigos Anejo....tastes like they added a bottle of Adams Extract Vanilla.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
GentrysMillTX10
AG
Teremana Reposado is my go to for cheap tequila. Patron anejo is my regular. I haven't settled on a high end tequila. I drink it in ranch water so I actually taste it and enjoy tequila

Any suggestions for a ranch water tequila?? I'm simple, topo with a sprinkle of salt & a couple squeezes of lime
Ezra Brooks
AG
GentrysMillTX10 said:

Any suggestions for a ranch water tequila?? I'm simple, topo with a sprinkle of salt & a couple squeezes of lime
This.

I'm not a tequila connoisseur but do enjoy a good marg...what's something that I can go into my local liquor store and pick up for <$40 that'll do for keeping on hand around the house for fajita night.

I had been using Hornitos, but decided that I didn't like the strong grassy flavor. Have a bottle of Cazadores in the cabinet now.
jh0400
AG
El Tesoro Blanco is my go-to.
AgInSingapore
AG
Siete Leguas blanco is my ranch water standard pour. Will probably have a few after some yard work today.
Mose Schrute
AG
Jimador Silver
AG
GentrysMillTX10 said:

La Gritona reposado. It's got some subtle aged notes but still gives you a very "clean" taste compared to other repos in a ranch water. About $50 or so a 750ml.

Tres Agaves is one of my fave cheap options, and is about half that for a 750ml
LoneStarBQ
AG
SpiderDude said:

I follow this guy on IG... he's got tons of good tequila and Mezcal recommendations!

https://instagram.com/luifern?igshid=Y2IzZGU1MTFhOQ==

So of these, what is the best sipping tequila?
LoneStarBQ Fightin' Texas Aggie Band Class of 89 Midland, TX
Johnsy3
AG
I think he'd say La Fortaleza
Velvet Jones
AG
If you're looking for a sipping tequila with zero additives and haven't checked out Grand Mayan you're missing out.

The Repo is about a third the price of Clase Azul repo and orders of magnitude better (no vanilla or caramel). The Extra aged is a blend of a few different tequilas all 3-5 years old aged in different wood. Under $100 and is my favorite.

It's harder to find but better Mom and Pop stores carry it and Total Wine stores do as well.

Grand Mayan Tequila
mmt5537
AG
I really enjoy ArteNOM 1146. It's a good sipper in the evening. It's not the cheapest, but it much more reasonable than the "celebrity" high end tequilas.
AG
Johnsy3 said:

I think he'd say La Fortaleza

Or Cazcanes. The extra aƱejo is pricey (really all of them) but really really damn good. I haven't tried their tequilas since they moved to the new NOM (was NOM 1599, now at NOM 1614) From everything I've read, some different tasting notes but their quality is still top notch
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
What is a good tequila in the $35 range. Only for ranch water. Just getting into this and it is slightly overwhelming.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.