Do aggies care about softball?

3,847 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by CDub06
Captain Pablo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I owe you no apology.

Notice the winky face. Good natured ribbing...

If you can't take a joke, that's your problem..

[This message has been edited by Captain Pablo (edited 4/20/2014 2:28p).]
Captain Pablo
AG
BTW, I still don't like softball...
SeenNotHeard
AG
I would say the in stadium support for softball is excellent. Both of the last two Saturdays we have faced top #6 opponents and got absolutely thrashed on the scoreboard both times. But 1500+ fans were at each game and stayed for the duration despite the score.
Aequitas
Hey 2011, keep up the good work! I enjoy your post and think you would make a great sportswriter/commentator.

Here's hoping someone will rethink the softball/women sports issue or later when the opportunity arises they will learn to enjoy their children/grandchildren they will be forthcoming.

Capt. my apology for misreading your post. I had typed a few funnies myself but figured some people would misunderstand.

viva torrente
I think it tells you all you need to know about our fanbase's feeling towards our feckless AD, when being called eric hyman is considered a pejorative of incredible insult by Aggies.
AnalogyAg
it's pretty much like every other sport at a&M except for football.

When we're doing good, people are interested. When we're not, they're not. Pretty apathetic most are.
sharpdressedman
Run-ruled today for second straight game, 0-8. Per A&M athletics website, offense got 1 hit and Fox gave up 7 ERs in taking the loss.
CDub06
AG
quote:
I think it tells you all you need to know about our fanbase's feeling towards our feckless AD, when being called eric hyman is considered a pejorative of incredible insult by Aggies.
Colt98
AG
I'm a softball dad who was a baseball player. I grew up loving the game of baseball. Having a daughter who is beginning the recruiting process now and learning(coaching her over the last 5 years) the softball game has been very enjoyable. Even though there are a lot of parts to the game that mirrors baseball, it is still very different. It's a speed game. If you look at the more successful college programs currently( bama, mich, ou, ten, PAC 12 teams), they are built around speed. I personally feel that our program has leaned to much on power the last few years. That and not having that pitcher that you can lean on day in and day out. Last year Mel gave us that and I think our power offense let us down a little late in the season. With recruiting for softball now starting in 8th/9th grade it makes it tough to pick that special pitcher. We had one committed a few years ago that backed out the last minute and left us hanging. It's hard to recoup from that.

Being that my wife and I both graduated from A&M and my daughter growing up bleeding maroon, it would be her dream to play here. Dream for us as parents also to have our girl get an education from the greatest school in the country....

Getting to travel all over the country and week in and week out with my daughter has given us thousands of hours together that I will cherish for the rest of my life. It as been awesome to watch my little girl grow up to be the fierce competitor she has become. The game off softball has taught her way more than just fielding a ground ball or reading a defense when she is in the box about to slap a single. I love the game. I now have a 10 year old son that is starting to play select baseball. I'm having to get used to slowness of that game again.
Lance in Round Mountain
AG
I care about softball. SEC is a very tough conference and ags don't seem poised to compete with the elite programs. Pitching is key and Ags have some verbal commitments from some great pitchers-- Erin Houthoofd, Kayla Ober in 2014 and class of 2015 stud Sam Show of East Bernard.
Tex100
AG
Love Aggie softball. My kids activities make it hard to go these days.
Aggie_no1
It seems like Evans doesn't care much about her job. In watching the other televised games, it appears that the other coaches in SEC take a more hands on approach. The pitch calling comes from the coaches on all the other teams. When hitters fail, you don't see the hitting coach there, you see Evans. Her strength is NOT hitting. Pitching fails, however you see 5th year assistant Mel on TV, not the Volunteer Pitching Coach.

TAMU has a standard of excellence, not mediocrity. 500 in SEC play is unacceptable!. Appears that after 18 years, the game has passed her by. Even commentator on kentucky game called Evans "predictable".

TAMU can recruit the VERY BEST that Texas has to offer in the sport of Softball. There is no reason this program could not be in WCWS consistently. Talent is there. In Evans own words, this is the most talented team she has ever had. So if they don't win, it would appear to be coaching or lack of!

MOST CERTAINLY TIME FOR A CHANGE!
GigemNick
AG
As a current student, I love Aggie softball and make most of the home games every year. Of course, this season has been the least enjoyable and my least favorite during my time at A&M. We just need some pitchers...
Dogdoc
AG
Colt: Who does your daughter play for?
ccf57arl
ccf57arl
ccf57arl
Try to be brief, my computer doesn't have a long memory for that first LONG post.

My grades: Coach: B; Pitching A-; Defense B+: Hitting, particularly clutch hitting: F.

Discounting the last two "melt-down" series with UT and UF, our pitching has given us a chance to win every game with no "run rule games". We must remember UT and UF are outstanding all-around ballclubs, especially as hitters. UF got all the luck and "seeing eyes" in games 2 & 3. Everything was falling for hits and out for homeruns. With their six losses, that luck could change.

Before we "can" JO, she has done her job, benching "non producers" and used our 3 starting pitchers judiciously. A lot of work for Fox, Marks and Donnell. But she has given each extra rest from this SEC grind when possible.

We get our dominant pitchers in '14 and '15. Also get 4 or 5 good players to go with our Fish starters this year and we will be a good team starting with spring of 2014. But, for the rest of this season, our Seniors just have to step their leadership level up a notch to make those around them produce better the remainder of 2013 and carry-over to 2014.
ccf57arl
Try to be brief, my computer doesn't have a long memory for that first LONG post.

My grades: Coach: B; Pitching A-; Defense B+: Hitting, particularly clutch hitting: F.

Discounting the last two "melt-down" series with UT and UF, our pitching has given us a chance to win every game with no "run rule games". We must remember UT and UF are outstanding all-around ballclubs, especially as hitters. UF got all the luck and "seeing eyes" in games 2 & 3. Everything was falling for hits and out for homeruns. With their six losses, that luck could change.

Before we "can" JO, she has done her job, benching "non producers" and used our 3 starting pitchers judiciously. A lot of work for Fox, Marks and Donnell. But she has given each extra rest from this SEC grind when possible.

We get our dominant pitchers in '14 and '15. Also get 4 or 5 good players to go with our Fish starters this year and we will be a good team starting with spring of 2014. But, for the rest of this season, our Seniors just have to step their leadership level up a notch to make those around them produce better the remainder of 2013 and carry-over to 2014.
ccf57arl

Captain Pablo
AG
quote:

In case you were wondering why that calendar you purchased off the clearance rack was so cheap...
ccf57arl
Captain, you're a Hoot! I'll try not to duplicate this post 3 times. Also, I'll try to be rational. I followed SB in 2008 because of worse performance than this team by FB from 2002 through 2009. Mostly SB has generally been in the regional and super regional; they even made it to OKC in 2008. I was there with $Bill Byrne, those dominant pitchers Megan Gibson and Amanda Scarborough, who sent the Gators packing so we could then play ASU for the Natty.

You mentioned calendar. I'll see how good a gambler you are. I'll hold my answers until you give me a "guess".

The TAMU SB team this year (in percent chance) will:

1 win the NC
2.win one game in OKC
3.advance to the super regionals
4.host the regional
5.win 3 games against AU and 2 games against OSU
Captain Pablo
AG
I have no idea about the percentages, but I'm not sure you got my point....

re-read this:

quote:
We get our dominant pitchers in '14 and '15. Also get 4 or 5 good players to go with our Fish starters this year and we will be a good team starting with spring of 2014. But, for the rest of this season, our Seniors just have to step their leadership level up a notch to make those around them produce better the remainder of 2013 and carry-over to 2014

Now look at that calendar on your wall.....
Aequitas
ccf57arl, your correct on the dates.

Pablo, the girls coming in are of the hs class of '14 and '15.

Glad to see some good stuff about the team. It has been a rough year for sure but unfortunately the ball didn't bounce their way in a lot of the close games. No one at fault but just how things work sometimes.

Captain Pablo
AG
He speaks of the remainder of '13 in the present tense

And Spring '14 in the future tense

How is that correct?
ccf57arl
Captain Pablo:

I did get your point. My point is that JO frequently gets her team HOT late in the season. SB reached super regionals at OU in 2013. If Lamphear, Morgan, Tysarczyk, Stark and Garza get hot and join non-seniors Donnell, Clopton, Boenker and Dozier our hitting woes are greatly diluted and this team would then be capable of reaching the Women's College World Series. The key element is these five seniors must rally this whole team to light the fire and passion for the will to win.

Then the good players in 2014 and 2015 plus this year's 2014 carryovers will make them one hell of a team.
Cardiac Saturday
AG
+1 for nicely filled softball pants!!
mullokmotx
AG
I agree with the grade of F on clutch hitting. On Friday we left runners on 2nd and 3rd in 3 separate innings. Pitching has been better than I thought it would be but both Katie and Abby have struggled recently and Rachel is not as sharp on Sunday as she is on Friday.
ccf57arl
Many pitchers will struggle against the Tide, UT and Florida. Abbie, Katie and Rachel can compete very well with all the other Sec teams. Fourth in the SEC is not bad and will put us in the WCWS in OKC. Pitching, too, feeds off good hitting like those top three SEC teams will attest. We get those two dominant pitchers in 2014 and 2015 and we will be as good or better than UT, Tide and FL.
ccf57arl
And yes Cardiac Saturday, those 2014 and 2015 pitchers will give us a +1 for nicely filled SB pants.
Aggies
Yes! When they are Winning.
Aggie_no1
If you look at the hitters you are asking to hit in clutch situations....... Amber Garza is the only one still left on the team. Mel was clutch. no doubt and last season Meagan got hot in post season too along with Cali. other than that, the seniors on the team now, didn't hit their weight against good pitching and on TV....... hence the embarrassing losses. They don't have clutch in them.

Cali is struggling, but you didn't see the "hitting coach" talk to her one time during the FL game. you saw Evans in her face on national TV. Nice way to treat an All American! That kid can produce and in clutch situations. She has proven that. If she is struggling, why can't someone get her some help! Maybe we can contact her travel ball coach to get her hitting again. That seems to be who had her ready for her Freshman year!

It will be a shame to get good pitching in the next few years with a coaching staff that has only a VOLUNTEER pitching coach and she was not even a "real" pitcher for the Aggies. Check the stats.

If you want good pitcher recruiting, get a good pitching coach! Pay one....... get them actually a salary and give them a voice. However Evans doesn't let any of her staff ever say ANYTHING! you don't see them call timeout EVER....... and you never see them do anything but pull out stools and sit quietly as she has her head in her hands being embarrassed on National TV.

Get these good recruits a GREAT COACH!
SeenNotHeard
AG
Aggie no1 that might be the dumbest post I have read all month.
Belton Ag
AG
quote:
Aggie no1 that might be the dumbest post I have read all month.

All month? That's probably the dumbest post of the season so far.
mgreen
I do but do not go to many games because we can not afford shade for the stadium. I will get in a baseball battera box before I would get in a softball box.
Visor Guy
AG
I care about anything where an Aggie is participating. Everyone has their preference on sport but if an Aggie is in it, I will support them no matter what. Looking forward to many days ahead of taking my two little girls to Aggie baseball, softball, volleyball, football, rugby, quidditch, etc. Well maybe not quidditch.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.