Astroag said:

aggieheart said:

Astroag said:

aggieheart said:

Astroag said:

aggieheart said:

Astroag said:

aggieheart said:

Obstruction is asame in softball as baseball. Can't block the bag without possession of the ball unless in act of fielding the throw it caries you into the path. She was straddling the base path/base. Should have been positioned just in front of the bag. Legit call.

Straddling the bag = not blocking the bag….
Same thing. Rule is to prevent collisions.

I understand what you are posting but it's not the same thing…hence there wasn't a collision
It's not a result oriented call. It's a rule. It was applied correctly. At least this is how I was trained as an umpire, called as an umpire, and trained other umpires. If I am wrong then so is most of the umpiring world I know.

Well that's pretty standard these days and historically, no?

I mean why else we need Robo umps?
Further clarification in NCAA since last year: "The changes in the obstruction rule prohibit a defensive player who does not have the ball from blocking any part of the leading edge of the four bases or otherwise keeping the runner from advancing or returning to a base. It will not be obstruction if the defender has the ball or is making a legitimate play on a thrown ball."

Maybe that helps clear it up for you.

Based on that, you have been calling/teaching/etc it wrong…cmon man. Her straddling it left the leading edge of the bag
Are you really this obtuse or do you just can't stand being told your outrage is unjustified. I hated the result as much as anyone here. I'm just trying to help Ags understand the call. But you remind me of a Bill Murray quote :
"It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person."

I dunno what to tell you but if our player is straddling a square w a foot on either side of the leading edge facing first base, then she isn't blocking said leading edge as defined in the rule.

Perhaps if you don't understand, maybe you should take a look in the mirror before you anonymously throw insults at people you don't know.

If ya ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin!!!
Sharpshooter
4:09p, 3/30/24
In reply to Astroag
Yes, gentlemen, this series has frustrated us all.
gambochaman
4:09p, 3/30/24
We didnt help ourselves but the umps and Birmingham gave LSU life in this game
Bucketrunner
4:11p, 3/30/24
Some umpires should be blacklisted.
aggieheart
4:13p, 3/30/24
In reply to BiochemAg97
BiochemAg97 said:

aggieheart said:

Obstruction is asame in softball as baseball. Can't block the bag without possession of the ball unless in act of fielding the throw it caries you into the path. She was straddling the base path/base. Should have been positioned just in front of the bag. Legit call.

"Without possession of the ball"?
You have a question mark so I will answer. If she had caught the ball first then stepped in front of the bag it is not obstruction. However she was clearly straddling the base path with her heels even with the leading edge of the base. The rule is to prevent collisions and injuries.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Boozer92
This is a complete meltdown
Agdad081216
Mental error. Dammit.
Just an old dad who raise 3 Ags. Inherited 2 more. GIG’EM
Agdad081216
4:14p, 3/30/24
3 outs. Poease
Sharpshooter
4:14p, 3/30/24
Getting hard to watch. Lucky if not run ruled.
Agdad081216
4:16p, 3/30/24
2 runs it's over. Settle in and play.
LB12Diamond
4:21p, 3/30/24
What's the score
Sharpshooter
4:22p, 3/30/24
In reply to LB12Diamond
LB12Diamond said:

What's the score
9-3 LSPoo top of 7.
Agdad081216
4:26p, 3/30/24
We need to bat around 2 times.
Gap
4:28p, 3/30/24
We led all 3 games this series. Definitely disappointing. But it is all part of the process of our growth. We are way ahead of where I ever would have guessed we could be under Coach Ford.
stoneca
4:29p, 3/30/24
I figure Trisha cannot say anything negative about the umping and Birmingham or get her hands slapped, etc. However, I hope she can and will complain through the channels. This is terrible for the game.
sharpdressedman
4:31p, 3/30/24
Elevating late inning losses to an art form.
Sharpshooter
4:32p, 3/30/24
Birmingham is a joke.
Positivelyag512
4:35p, 3/30/24
If we see them again it'll be on a neutral field, Physiqueis what I worry about. Got to flush it and take it out on PVA&M and Kentucky next week
Stone44
4:35p, 3/30/24
So sick of blaming the umpire. We crapped the bed again. This is our history and it's pathetic. It doesn't matter who is our coach or what kind of facility we have. Quit making excuses and maybe our new AD will address it.
aggieheart
4:44p, 3/30/24
Trish Ford is doing a good job. Our pitching is better this year but we don't have an OU type pitcher that shuts everybody down. We left way too many baserunners stranded this weekend. It happens. I still believe this is a really good team.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
fitzwatema
4:49p, 3/30/24
In reply to aggieheart
aggieheart said:

Trish Ford is doing a good job. Our pitching is better this year but we don't have an OU type pitcher that shuts everybody down. We left way too many baserunners stranded this weekend. It happens. I still believe this is a really good team.

Well said, it's also easy to forget that this is just Coach Ford's second year here. I think she will get the job done, but everyone wants instant gratification in today's world.
DogCompany74
5:18p, 3/30/24
The lesson of all Aggie sports is NEVER get your hopes too high and you will never be disappointed. It will be interesting to see how they respond.
Hell Bent Canine -All or None
Positivelyag512
7:52p, 3/30/24
You realize this team beat tu at LSU, too, the number 2 team in the nation; this will galvanize this team, guarantee. The makeup is there; get your hopes up, sweep Kentucky, and you are in the top 3 in the league again. Right now, their top 5
Belton Ag
3:44p, 4/1/24
Despite the sweep, the Aggies actually moved up 1 spot in the RPI this week to No 7. The strength of schedule just keeps getting better and better.

This past weekend was bad, but it wasn't catastrophic, at least far as the numbers go.

Wabs
3:56p, 4/1/24
In reply to Belton Ag
Like in baseball, the SEC is brutal in softball. Maybe even more so. So yes no single series will kill a team if they get swept. Just need to bounce back and win our home series and try take at least one in road series.
Boozer92
5:39p, 4/1/24
Will likely move down this week even if they win all 4. Just need to get back on the win wagon. Lots of opportunity left on the schedule
Gap
7:11p, 4/2/24
Aggies lead Prairie View 10-0 after 3 innings.
Boozer92
7:20p, 4/2/24
This PV is severely overmatched
t-rex
7:35p, 4/2/24
I guess it was predetermined to get Vestal some work but strange time to change pitcher under the circumstances
Gap
8:59p, 4/2/24
While cool, it isn't as rare or as big a deal in softball as in baseball. That day against Prairie View isn't a story you were going to tell your grandchildren.
greg.w.h
9:18p, 4/2/24
It's fun for the team. But with sharp pitching it you don't feel like it's the oasis at the end of the desert…heh.
Gap
10:41p, 4/2/24
Triple for Koko. Ball gets away from 3rd baseman. Safe at home with an incredible slide.

Belton Ag
12:28p, 4/5/24
Reminder that today the Aggies begin a 3 game home series with RPI #27 Kentucky.

There was a missed opportunity last weekend. This weekend the team with the opportunity is actually going to be Kentucky, and I'm sure the Aggies will get Kentucky's best shot.

Aggies really need a series win to remain in contention for a national seed.

Deerdude
3:57p, 4/5/24
Unfortunately for them, Kentucky will get Aggies best shot.
jt2hunt
4:28p, 4/5/24
Kill then!
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 22 of 106
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE