stoneca said:

aggieheart said:

Astroag said:

aggieheart said:

Astroag said:

aggieheart said:

Astroag said:

aggieheart said:

Obstruction is asame in softball as baseball. Can't block the bag without possession of the ball unless in act of fielding the throw it caries you into the path. She was straddling the base path/base. Should have been positioned just in front of the bag. Legit call.

Straddling the bag = not blocking the bag….
Same thing. Rule is to prevent collisions.

I understand what you are posting but it's not the same thing…hence there wasn't a collision
It's not a result oriented call. It's a rule. It was applied correctly. At least this is how I was trained as an umpire, called as an umpire, and trained other umpires. If I am wrong then so is most of the umpiring world I know.

Well that's pretty standard these days and historically, no?

I mean why else we need Robo umps?
Further clarification in NCAA since last year: "The changes in the obstruction rule prohibit a defensive player who does not have the ball from blocking any part of the leading edge of the four bases or otherwise keeping the runner from advancing or returning to a base. It will not be obstruction if the defender has the ball or is making a legitimate play on a thrown ball."

Maybe that helps clear it up for you.
Check the replay! Koko had the ball in her possession BEFORE the base runner got there!
You misunderstand the rule. She cannot block the bag BEFORE she has possession of the ball.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Agdad081216
3:28p, 3/30/24
They scored 2 runs. Let's move forward.
Just an old dad who raise 3 Ags. Inherited 2 more. GIG’EM
LB12Diamond
3:30p, 3/30/24
Shades of Texas State game
Astroag
3:30p, 3/30/24
In reply to aggieheart
aggieheart said:

Astroag said:

aggieheart said:

Astroag said:

aggieheart said:

Astroag said:

aggieheart said:

Obstruction is asame in softball as baseball. Can't block the bag without possession of the ball unless in act of fielding the throw it caries you into the path. She was straddling the base path/base. Should have been positioned just in front of the bag. Legit call.

I understand what you are posting but it's not the same thing…hence there wasn't a collision
It's not a result oriented call. It's a rule. It was applied correctly. At least this is how I was trained as an umpire, called as an umpire, and trained other umpires. If I am wrong then so is most of the umpiring world I know.

Further clarification in NCAA since last year: "The changes in the obstruction rule prohibit a defensive player who does not have the ball from blocking any part of the leading edge of the four bases or otherwise keeping the runner from advancing or returning to a base. It will not be obstruction if the defender has the ball or is making a legitimate play on a thrown ball."

Based on that, you have been calling/teaching/etc it wrong…cmon man. Her straddling it left the leading edge of the bag open.

If ya ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin!!!
Agdad081216
3:31p, 3/30/24
Need 2 strike outs. Hold em
Sharpshooter
3:32p, 3/30/24
Hold em Ladies.
Boozer92
3:32p, 3/30/24
Big inning here. LSU has tied the game in bottom of 5 2 days in a row. Runner at 3rd with 1 down now
Agdad081216
3:34p, 3/30/24
Play Aggie softball. Get the W
Sharpshooter
3:36p, 3/30/24
Saved by the Ump!!
Agdad081216
3:36p, 3/30/24
One more out no scoring
LB12Diamond
3:37p, 3/30/24
Yes, we make the play in LF today!
Sharpshooter
Well done Ladies.
aggieheart
In reply to Astroag
Astroag said:

aggieheart said:

Astroag said:

aggieheart said:

Astroag said:

aggieheart said:

Astroag said:

aggieheart said:

Based on that, you have been calling/teaching/etc it wrong…cmon man. Her straddling it left the leading edge of the bag
Are you really this obtuse or do you just can't stand being told your outrage is unjustified. I hated the result as much as anyone here. I'm just trying to help Ags understand the call. But you remind me of a Bill Murray quote :
"It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person."
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Boozer92
What a catch by Kramer in left to end the threat
Agdad081216
3:38p, 3/30/24
Now let the bats eat. Pass the bat and score runs.
Boozer92
3:38p, 3/30/24
Need some insurance runs here
Sharpshooter
3:39p, 3/30/24
Crooked numbers Ladies. Crooked numbers.
Agdad081216
3:45p, 3/30/24
If they want to speed the game up stop all the conferences.
Boozer92
3:46p, 3/30/24
2 pinch hitters come through with a walk and a single. Runners at the corners with 1 down. KP at the plate
gambochaman
3:47p, 3/30/24
Hey a review went our way!
BiochemAg97
3:56p, 3/30/24
In reply to aggieheart
aggieheart said:

"Without possession of the ball"?
gambochaman
3:56p, 3/30/24
Damn
Agdad081216
3:57p, 3/30/24
Dammit
Boozer92
3:57p, 3/30/24
3 straight hit ties the game for LSU in bottom 6. Kennedy gives way to Leavitt
gambochaman
3:59p, 3/30/24
Meltdow
Captn_Ag05
4:01p, 3/30/24
Deja vu from the first two games.
WestHillsAg
4:02p, 3/30/24
You hate to see it but this team has choked at critical points in all 3 games. Umps have hosed them a few times as well. Tough series.
Agdad081216
The girl paid off ump. She walked every time.
AggieCrew44
Mental toughness. Program hasn't had it in a long time
Boozer92
4:03p, 3/30/24
leavitt pitches to 1 batter and gives a walk. Shay now in.

Seems Shay matches this zone better than Leavitt but bases loaded and no outs is a tough spot
Agdad081216
4:04p, 3/30/24
Shut it down
Boozer92
4:05p, 3/30/24
Grand slam
Agdad081216
4:06p, 3/30/24
Now he calls a strike.
BeatHellOutOfTU
fitzwatema
This umpires strike zone has been awful all day.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 21 of 45
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings