*** 2024 Aggie Softball Season Thread ***

125,851 Views | 1301 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by nereus
Belton Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Figured I'd start a season thread like last year. This thread can be for discussion of individual games or general stuff.

2024 Aggie Softball Roster

2024 Schedule

Year 2 for Coach Ford who looks to improve on last season's 35-21 overall and 12-12 conference record.

Belton Ag
AG
This weekend the Aggies went 4-0 with 3 of the 4 victories coming via run rule.

Rec
Wabs
AG
This team has a lot of speed. Some power, but not alot. Defense should be better than last year and it will be interesting to see our pitchers in year 2 under Ford.
Belton Ag
AG
There is more power in this lineup than we've had in a while.
Boozer92
AG
First road trip will tell us a lot about where this team is right now 2 games at San Diego St and 2 games against Oregon. Good additions and growth shown in week one.
Wabs
AG
Belton Ag said:

There is more power in this lineup than we've had in a while.

True if Coleman and Maya Perez contribute consistently and Enright can contribute to do what she did this weekend.
Belton Ag
AG
I was able to catch 3 of the 4 games at Davis Dismond and watched the 4th at home later.

First weekend against competition of that level isn't a good gauge for how the team is, but I was pleased by the apparent growth in some of the batting approaches. Enright looks like a completely different batter, despite the pitching. She clearly worked on her swing in the offseason. As a team they hit 9 home runs this weekend, and it probably wasn't until the 3rd or 4th weekend last year that they hit 9 home runs. It looks like one of the things the staff has been working on is applying pressure to the opposing defense on the base path. There were 12 stolen bases on the weekend and a few attempts to bait teams into making mistakes. A couple were successful and a couple not. Wooley was thrown out trying to steal third base in consecutive games. I don't think I saw that happen at all last year.

On defense they were solid. There were a couple plays made and a few times that plays could have been made that weren't. Third base needs to get better. She wasn't bad, but a starting 3b for a team competing for a WCWS appearance needs to be a playmaker. She did make a couple nice plays, including a beautiful stab of a liner in the 3rd game against Tulsa. I look forward to seeing her growth if she remains at 3rd. There was a shakeup a bit with Cannon moving to DP, Harper to 1st, Wiggins to 2nd and Powell at 3rd. I wasn't expecting that. Wooley remained at SS and she was nails as usual. We are fortunate to have a player like her. She had a tough time at the plate this weekend but I'm not worried about that at all.

In the circle, it's hard to say. There were a couple terrible innings. Kennedy was roughed up by Lehigh in one inning, but came out yesterday and absolutely dominated Tulsa. In the inning where she struggled, the umpire wasn't giving her the corners at all and you could see she was visibly upset.

Other than 2 innings, pitching pretty much dominated the competition, which is what was expected.
B$Weigem
AG
Wiggins was a fantastic 3rd baseman last season. Curious why Wiggins isn't playing 3rd and Powell at 2nd.
mullokmotx
AG
Looks like all 23 players got some playing time. Perez got the most plate appearances of the freshmen class.
mullokag
MSTC Man
AG
My concern from the weekend was third base. It is a hot corner but it is only going to get hotter in SEC play. I thought Rylen played a good third base last year. So they have options.

Pitching is always a concern.
Boozer92
AG
I thought Powell looked really good at 3rd when I watched in the fall. Hopefully this opening weekend was a blip
Belton Ag
AG
Boozer92 said:

I thought Powell looked really good at 3rd when I watched in the fall. Hopefully this opening weekend was a blip
As I said in my post, she wasn't bad. She did have an error that led to a run scored, but she also made a couple really good plays. She was just a tick slow fielding the ball, had a couple bobbles and missed on a couple playable balls (they would have been really difficult plays to make, but they were there to be made). She was overall the weakest part of the infield defense.

All that to say that she wasn't bad, just wasn't a playmaker. If she doesn't improve third base will be exposed in conference play, so it's something for us fans to keep our eye on.
Faustus
https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/softball/d1/espncom/usa-softball

A&M checking in at No. 25.

Baylor (0-2) and UCLA (2-3) somehow stay ranked. UCLA was outscored 28-3 in its 3 losses.
Belton Ag
AG
Baylor lost both their games to #2 Tennessee, so it's no surprise to see them staying in the Top 25.

UCLA got rocked by sip and Oklahoma State. Something may be up inside that program, last year they went 2 and out in their home regional despite being the #2 overall seed.

In other interesting national softball news, Jordy Bahl who was probably the most high profile and surprising transfer ever when she left OU for Nebraska, tore her ACL and is done for the season.
PlanoGuy
Belton Ag said:

In other interesting national softball news, Jordy Bahl who was probably the most high profile and surprising transfer ever when she left OU for Nebraska, tore her ACL and is done for the season.
Bahl has had some freak injuries. During her freshman year at OU, her forearm broke (non-throwing arm) while warming up before a game. Now she tears her ACL while pitching. She obviously returned to form after the arm injury, hopefully she does the same after this one.
"F PlanoGuy!!" - Billy Liucci's TexAgs Premium Forum
Wooahhhh
AG
Nothing on ESPN+ regarding an Oregon, SDSU, or LMU game this weekend. Is there any other options?
mullokmotx
AG
I looked at the SDSU website. Looks like live stats and that's it. Aggie Soccer Twitter may have video highlights.
mullokag
Wabs
AG
Ags beat #14 Oregon 4-1! WHOOP!!!! EK with 11 Ks!
VegasAg86
AG
Wabs said:

That's awesome. Thanks for the post. I came looking for this.

happy days
CactusThomas
AG
Wabs said:

ARKY AGGIE
AG
I wonder if the games will be televised on the PAC 12 channels. I have them in my cable package.
BTHO bacon bits!!!
herbie
S
per secsports.com looks like Ags up 5 - 1 SDS batting bottom of the 3rd, 7-2 bottom of 6

https://www.secsports.com/scores/softball
Sat 2-17 Ags batting bottom of 6 up 9 - 2; win 10-2
herbie
Dale Gribble
Ags win 7-5
mullokmotx
AG
Right fielder Allie Enright with 2 assists today.
mullokag
Belton Ag
AG
Aggies were ahead 7-2 with 2 outs in the bottom of the 6th when Ford made the odd decision to take Ackerman out and insert Vestal. Vestal walked the first batter she faced before getting the final out of the 6th. In the bottom of the 7th she gave up a 3 run shot before she got pulled and Kennedy came in and shut them down to preserve the win.
MSTC Man
AG
I'm concerned about Vestal. Not sure she can contribute to this pitching staff.
Boozer92
AG
Vestal has not shown well in her outings so far this year She does have 2 good seasons at Ole Miss. hopefully she settles on this team. All the hitters talk about how they struggle hitting against her in practice. Hope we see that soon because this team really needs her to reach their potential
mullokmotx
AG
We play Loyola Marymount and SDSU today. LMU beat Oregon 4-0 yesterday. LMU was 1-2 in the Stanford Regional last year.
mullokag
Wooahhhh
AG
for the stat freaks, present company included, you can get full season stats at secsports.com
VegasAg86
AG
mullokmotx said:

We play Loyola Marymount and SDSU today. LMU beat Oregon 4-0 yesterday. LMU was 1-2 in the Stanford Regional last year.

Is Oregon down this year?
Dale Gribble
Ags 10
LMU 2

Final

SDSt again on deck
herbie
S
KAGC Gospel 97.3fm carrying the softball games.

https://streamdb8web.securenetsystems.net/cirruscontent/index.cfm?stationCallSign=KAGCAM
herbie
Boozer92
AG
They also have a car play enabled app that I was pretty handy while I was driving for the first 90 mins of the game yesterday

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.