*** 2024 Aggie Softball Season Thread ***

125,765 Views | 1301 Replies | Last: 16 hrs ago by nereus
AGDAD14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How far in the outfield does the in-field fly rule apply? I've coached a lot of little league baseball and I'm very familiar with the rule. Just not sure how it is applied in softball.

Doesn't there have to be runners on first and second or first, second and third?

Also, I did not see a "tag" on the runner, who stepped on second base while "running" into the Florida player holding the ball on the base. Maybe my bad eyesight.

Shouldn't all officials monitoring the play be indicating to all players that the rule is being invoked?

Even the announcers seem a little flabbergasted by it all.

Extremely bad officiating and interpretation of the rule.
jt2hunt
AG
Score
jmcfar_98
AG
jt2hunt said:

Score

UF 11-3 final in 6
Boozer92
AG
SEC tournament schedule posted. We drew the night slot. Will play Miss St/USCe winner. Feel like we really need to win 2 at the tournament
greg.w.h
AG
AGDAD14 said:

How far in the outfield does the in-field fly rule apply? I've coached a lot of little league baseball and I'm very familiar with the rule. Just not sure how it is applied in softball.

Doesn't there have to be runners on first and second or first, second and third?

Also, I did not see a "tag" on the runner, who stepped on second base while "running" into the Florida player holding the ball on the base. Maybe my bad eyesight.

Shouldn't all officials monitoring the play be indicating to all players that the rule is being invoked?

Even the announcers seem a little flabbergasted by it all.

Extremely bad officiating and interpretation of the rule.
A fair fly ball with less than two outs and a force in play at third and reasonably catchable with ordinary effort by any fielder that is an infielder including pitcher and catcher.

Is a judgment call with subjective criteria and therefore not reviewable.
1Aggie99
AG
Problem with the infield fly rule is the call does not have to be audible. Pointing up and/or an audible "Infield Fly" are acceptable calls by rule. In this instance, the ump behind homeplate did point but assuming no verbal communication. A&M should have someone designated to watch for that but realistically that's a stupid expectation. Call was correct but it should be required to be announced physically (hand pointing up) and verbally (Infield Fly).

Other issue is coaching... runners have to know. If runner advancing to 2B would have simply remained there I'm pretty sure she would have been safe. It did not appear a tag was made prior to reaching the bag which would have been required with batter out on IF. Florida SS touched 2B and looked somewhat confused herself leading more to the non verbal call.
nereus
AG
An infield fly is an infield fly. Umpire signaling and calling that doesn't change if it is an infield fly or not. Umpires should (and are taught to) call it as early as they can by pointing in the air and vocally calling it (to make it clear to everyone that this is an infield fly). But if the umpires have a brain fart and forget about it during the play…it still should be called an infield fly afterwards. Players should be aware of the infield fly rule and act accordingly.

I wasn't able to watch this game so I don't really know what actually happened or how obvious/borderline the call was in this instance. Just pointing out that it is still an infield fly even it is isn't called in real time.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.