*** 2024 Aggie Softball Season Thread ***
159,053 Views | 1574 Replies
AGDAD14
2:16p, 5/5/24
How far in the outfield does the in-field fly rule apply? I've coached a lot of little league baseball and I'm very familiar with the rule. Just not sure how it is applied in softball.

Doesn't there have to be runners on first and second or first, second and third?

Also, I did not see a "tag" on the runner, who stepped on second base while "running" into the Florida player holding the ball on the base. Maybe my bad eyesight.

Shouldn't all officials monitoring the play be indicating to all players that the rule is being invoked?

Even the announcers seem a little flabbergasted by it all.

Extremely bad officiating and interpretation of the rule.
jt2hunt
3:56p, 5/5/24
Score
jmcfar_98
4:00p, 5/5/24
In reply to jt2hunt
jt2hunt said:

Score

UF 11-3 final in 6
Boozer92
7:49p, 5/5/24
SEC tournament schedule posted. We drew the night slot. Will play Miss St/USCe winner. Feel like we really need to win 2 at the tournament
greg.w.h
8:12p, 5/5/24
In reply to AGDAD14
AGDAD14 said:

How far in the outfield does the in-field fly rule apply? I've coached a lot of little league baseball and I'm very familiar with the rule. Just not sure how it is applied in softball.

Doesn't there have to be runners on first and second or first, second and third?

Also, I did not see a "tag" on the runner, who stepped on second base while "running" into the Florida player holding the ball on the base. Maybe my bad eyesight.

Shouldn't all officials monitoring the play be indicating to all players that the rule is being invoked?

Even the announcers seem a little flabbergasted by it all.

Extremely bad officiating and interpretation of the rule.
A fair fly ball with less than two outs and a force in play at third and reasonably catchable with ordinary effort by any fielder that is an infielder including pitcher and catcher.

Is a judgment call with subjective criteria and therefore not reviewable.
1Aggie99
8:13a, 5/6/24
Problem with the infield fly rule is the call does not have to be audible. Pointing up and/or an audible "Infield Fly" are acceptable calls by rule. In this instance, the ump behind homeplate did point but assuming no verbal communication. A&M should have someone designated to watch for that but realistically that's a stupid expectation. Call was correct but it should be required to be announced physically (hand pointing up) and verbally (Infield Fly).

Other issue is coaching... runners have to know. If runner advancing to 2B would have simply remained there I'm pretty sure she would have been safe. It did not appear a tag was made prior to reaching the bag which would have been required with batter out on IF. Florida SS touched 2B and looked somewhat confused herself leading more to the non verbal call.
nereus
9:06a, 5/6/24
An infield fly is an infield fly. Umpire signaling and calling that doesn't change if it is an infield fly or not. Umpires should (and are taught to) call it as early as they can by pointing in the air and vocally calling it (to make it clear to everyone that this is an infield fly). But if the umpires have a brain fart and forget about it during the play…it still should be called an infield fly afterwards. Players should be aware of the infield fly rule and act accordingly.

I wasn't able to watch this game so I don't really know what actually happened or how obvious/borderline the call was in this instance. Just pointing out that it is still an infield fly even it is isn't called in real time.
Boozer92
11:38a, 5/7/24
Polls are out now

A&M ESPN 10 Coaches 9 D1 11 Softball America 10 RPI 16 KPI 12

As of today I would seed the field as follows

Still don't know how to make a table but the numbers following the team are poll average, rpi and kpi

1 Texas 1 1 1
2 Tenn 2.23 4 3
3 OK St 2.75 6 5
4 OU 4 2 2
5 Duke 5.5 3 4
6 UCLA 5.75 7 8
7 Stanford 7 8 6
8 Florida 8 10 7
9 LSU 11 5 10
10 Missouri 10.25 11 9
11 A&M 10 16 12
12 Ark 12.25 14 11
13 Georgia 13.75 9 13
14 Florida St 15.75 13 14
15 Wash 13 23 20
16 Louisiana 17 12 16
Virginia Tech 16.25 17 17
Miss St 17 22 18
Bama 21 15 15
Arizona 18.75 18 22

Top 7 seem a lock to be top 8 seed

Florida, LSU, Mizzou, A&M and Ark are very close and the outcome of SEC tournament games could influence which of those teams get the final spot in the top 8

Miss St knocking off A&M could put them in a position to get the final host spot. Bama is an odd one. They don't seem to have the resume but remain top 16 in both RPI and KPI so a run through LSU and Tenn could keep them alive. Louisiana is hanging by a thread and can't improve their standing.
Boozer92
11:52a, 5/7/24
Quad 1 wins for the schools I predicted

1 Texas 25-5
2 Tenn 25-8
3 OK St 18-5
4 OU 24-5
5 Duke 12-4
6 UCLA 16-9
7 Stanford 19-10
8 Florida 21-11
9 LSU 22-14
10 Missouri 19-13
11 A&M 20-11
12 Ark 18-13
13 Georgia 20-15
14 Florida St 7-8
15 Wash 9-11
16 Louisiana 14-15
Virginia Tech 7-7-1
Miss St 19-14
Bama 18-13
Arizona 11-13-1

Note the final 3 spots I chose have a losing record against Quad1 teams. This will also be an advantage for Bama and Miss St should they have a good SEC tournament
Boozer92
3:14p, 5/8/24
Ags move up one spot in rbi after LSU walked off Alabama in the 14th
Boozer92
9:31p, 5/8/24
What a game for game 3 in the second tournament today. Auburn hits a 3 run shot to take the lead in top of 14. Georgia answers with 3 run shot in the bottom alomg with a solo shot to walk it off
Deerdude
10:22a, 5/9/24
Watched until the end of Georgia Auburn game but didn't have the juice to stay up. How we feel about USCe tonight? They could be dragging.
Belton Ag
11:08a, 5/9/24
In reply to Deerdude
Deerdude said:

Watched until the end of Georgia Auburn game but didn't have the juice to stay up. How we feel about USCe tonight? They could be dragging.

Carolina has really good pitching. We'll probably see a combo of Vawter and Marjetko (sp?). I see us winning a 5-2 type of game. Carolina's offense isn't great and if Kennedy is on her game today they won't be able to keep up.

The early game was in a weather delay last I saw. Our game may not get off tonight, or if it does could be pretty late.

CCAD AG
12:06p, 5/9/24
Still showing a weather delay at noon. Long night or tough day tomorrow.
Captn_Ag05
1:31p, 5/9/24
Aggie game pushed to tomorrow.
Gap
1:44p, 5/9/24
I'm pleased the SEC made this decision so early in the day.

The winners of QF3 and QF4 would play each other immediately following our game tomorrow. So no advantage for either as it would be a doubleheader day for both.
Belton Ag
3:17p, 5/9/24
It's nobody's fault of course but it really sucks for us because it completely negates the advantage of the double bye and the benefit of a top 4 finish.
Gap
3:31p, 5/9/24
In reply to Belton Ag
Belton Ag said:

It's nobody's fault of course but it really sucks for us because it completely negates the advantage of the double bye and the benefit of a top 4 finish.
I disagree. The big advantage of the double bye is we avoided a round of play against a quality team. Yesterday, for the right to face us #22 RPI Mississippi St. played #26 RPI South Carolina. A good team had to lose. We avoided that elimination game and started a round later.

These girls have been playing 3-5 games per weekend since February. Playing on back to back days isn't a big deal at all. It is what they do. The double bye's advantage is we avoided playing a good team just to get to today.
BQ_90
3:39p, 5/9/24
In reply to Captn_Ag05
they playing these games in Hoover
Belton Ag
4:02p, 5/9/24
In reply to Gap
In our case, avoiding a quality opponent doesn't really help us since we're still in need of quality wins to improve our seeding. What did help us was playing Carolina on short rest after finishing their game at midnight.
Gap
4:26p, 5/9/24
In reply to Belton Ag
Now I'm lost as you seem to have wanted to play a good SEC opponent yesterday to get more quality games in too.

FYI - We were playing tonight. South Carolina wasn't going to lose any sleep because they ended late last night. They could sleep until Noon if they decided it was in their best interest.
The Lost
4:38p, 5/9/24
In reply to Gap
Gap said:

Belton Ag said:

I disagree. The big advantage of the double bye is we avoided a round of play against a quality team. Yesterday, for the right to face us #22 RPI Mississippi St. played #26 RPI South Carolina. A good team had to lose. We avoided that elimination game and started a round later.

These girls have been playing 3-5 games per weekend since February. Playing on back to back days isn't a big deal at all. It is what they do. The double bye's advantage is we avoided playing a good team just to get to today.

He's complaining about having to play potentially 2 tomorrow, not back to back days compared to todays 2 game winners get just back to back days like normal.
Gap
4:45p, 5/9/24
Whoever we play would be in the same boat just having played a 9 am game that morning.
greg.w.h
4:49p, 5/9/24
Is a single elimination tournament. It just doesn't get more meaningless than that. But a warmup for the regional we likely host!!!
MSTC Man
4:50p, 5/9/24
I bet the team is not worried about any of this. They will play whenever, whoever whatever, and wherever.
Belton Ag
4:51p, 5/9/24
In reply to Gap
Gap said:

Now I'm lost as you seem to have wanted to play a good SEC opponent yesterday to get more quality games in too.

FYI - We were playing tonight. South Carolina wasn't going to lose any sleep because they ended late last night. They could sleep until Noon if they decided it was in their best interest.

I was just refuting your point that the advantage of the double bye for us was avoiding a round against a quality opponent. For us that aspect of it wasn't as important because we need quality wins anyway, but nowhere did I say anything like I wish we had to play yesterday.

My opinion is that the double bye was working in our favor because - as it happened - Carolina had a very late game last night. And now - as it happens - that advantage was negated by the weather. I obviously think that has more of an impact than you do.

Thanks for the FYI about when we played. Had no clue.
JMac03
7:30p, 5/9/24
Ohhhh LSU won! I'll take LSU over Tennessee!
Captn_Ag05
10:06p, 5/9/24
Missouri and Arkansas game was stopped in the top of the 5th due to the weather. It will now start back tomorrow at 9 am, further pushing back the games that were already rescheduled for tomorrow. Quite the mess!
Faustus
11:05a, 5/10/24
Mizzou takes down Arkansas 3-1.

Florida up early on Georgia 2-0 in the bottom of the 2nd.

Amusingly BYU beat OSU yesterday following the Cowgirls' series win over OU last weekend.
$240 Worth of Pudding
1:03p, 5/10/24
Gators beat Dawgs 9-4.

Let's beat the cocks and then exact some revenge!!!
VegasAg86
1:04p, 5/10/24
Florida beat Georgia 9-4. Georgia loaded the bases with no outs in the top of the 7th, but couldn't score. Florida gets the winner of our game.
VegasAg86
1:06p, 5/10/24
First pitch for our game in 17 minutes, about 1:23 CDT.
JMac03
1:33p, 5/10/24
LET'S DO THIS!
VegasAg86
1:46p, 5/10/24
1-1 after 1.

Kennedy threw 28 pitches in the first.

Cannon hit a home run.
VegasAg86
1:51p, 5/10/24
Kennedy had a much better top of the 2nd, 3 up, 3 down, about 14 pitches.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 38 of 45
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings