*****Aggies vs. Mississippi State - Saturday*****

65,722 Views | 995 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by StinkyPinky
Muktheduck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bloc323 said:

Alex580 said:

dont get swept on the road and win your home series in the SEC is the name of the game
That sounds like such a mediocre mentality, and I wish Schloss didn't embrace it. I guess if we're not yet good enough to do better, then so be it. No doubt our 5-9 hitters and maybe all but 5 pitchers are all good reasons for us to manage expectations to be happy with .500 results all season like you said.
Schloss' mentality is to win every game they play. Reality is you play in a conference with 10-14 postseason caliber teams year to year and you're not going to win every series, and sweeping good teams is very difficult to do.

You can go .500 in the SEC and still host a regional. Florida and LSU were in the championship series last year and neither could manage to win more than 2/3rds of their conference games. It's not about managing expectations, it's just realizing this conference is chock full of national title contending teams
you moran
AG
What muck said. The goal is to win a national championship. Schloss and us fans want to win every game. This league is brutal though. Certain minimums need to be met to stay in contention. A 20-10 conference record typically puts you in position/contention for the SEC title and a top 8 seed discussion. Even if you fall a little short of that you are still likely hosting a regional.

Ole Miss won the National title in 2022. Their conference record was 14-16. So even then, in more of a worst case scenario conference record wise, and where they didn't host anything, an SEC team was good enough to win it all. Just to give you an idea about "mediocrity" in this league, in baseball. This ain't basketball. As an aside, Tennessee went an astounding 25-5 (as good as it gets in this league and an outlier)...and then sh*t the bed in the post-season. Still, as usual, multiple SEC teams in the CWS.

In my head, we need to make up at least one of those losses to Florida. If we had been swept, two of them. A good weekend next week will be taking the series against Auburn 2-1. But even better, and our goal, would be a sweep.

Anyway, you can always go visit bobinator on the basketball board. He's a good dude. Good place to vent about .500 records.
twk
AG
Bloc323 said:

Would've been nice if Schloss had inserted Cortez on friday, and then we got the sweep today instead. We kind of wasted Aschenbeck (to an extent) and Cortez (entirely), our 2 best relievers. This should have been a sweep.

Schloss can sleep fine at night though, thanks to us only scoring that 1 run on Friday anyway. I assume he was afraid Cortez could walk someone in that scenario which would've loaded the bases or worse.
We scored one run on Friday. That was the problem. Yes, you can look back and say we could have put Cortez in, or left Jones in for a couple more batters, but the big issue Friday was at the plate. That is going to happen sometimes.
twk
AG
Bloc323 said:

Alex580 said:

dont get swept on the road and win your home series in the SEC is the name of the game
That sounds like such a mediocre mentality, and I wish Schloss didn't embrace it. I guess if we're not yet good enough to do better, then so be it. No doubt our 5-9 hitters and maybe all but 5 pitchers are all good reasons for us to manage expectations to be happy with .500 results all season like you said.
The point of "don't get swept on the road" isn't to go 1-2 in every road series; it is to never go 0-3. If you never get swept on the road, manage to win 2 or 3 road series, then win all your home series (and sweep 1 or 2 of those), that's a recipe for winning the SEC and hosting a super regional.
Sean98
AG
twk said:

Bloc323 said:

Would've been nice if Schloss had inserted Cortez on friday, and then we got the sweep today instead. We kind of wasted Aschenbeck (to an extent) and Cortez (entirely), our 2 best relievers. This should have been a sweep.

Schloss can sleep fine at night though, thanks to us only scoring that 1 run on Friday anyway. I assume he was afraid Cortez could walk someone in that scenario which would've loaded the bases or worse.
We scored one run on Friday. That was the problem. Yes, you can look back and say we could have put Cortez in, or left Jones in for a couple more batters, but the big issue Friday was at the plate. That is going to happen sometimes.
I think it's very hard to consider putting Cortez in mid-inning because of his control history. He needs to start with a clean slate in a new inning so he can work through/settle in.
Sean98
AG
twk said:

Bloc323 said:

Alex580 said:

The point of "don't get swept on the road" isn't to go 1-2 in every road series; it is to never go 0-3. If you never get swept on the road, manage to win 2 or 3 road series, then win all your home series (and sweep 1 or 2 of those), that's a recipe for winning the SEC and hosting a super regional.
Yes, yes yes and yes (or however many statements there were in there).

10 SEC series, 5 at home, 5 on the road. Win all your home series, never get swept on the road puts you at 15-15 for the floor, then you look for opportunities to improve that record. If you can win 2-3 road series and sweep 2-3 at home You're in that 20-10 range that gets you a national seed. Getting swept on the road or losing at home series is a loss. The 5 series below are likely our best bets to pick up games. There's also a couple where you'd better be on the ball to not lose a game.

Road Series:
- Top 10 UF (1-2)
- USCe - win this one!
- Bama - win this one!
- Top 10 LSU
- Ole Miss - win this one!

Home series:
- State (2-1)
- Aubie - get the sweep!!
- Top 10 Vandy
- UGa - get the sweep!!
- #1 Arkie

MaroonStain
AG
Bloc323 said:

Alex580 said:

Sock account made purely for Drive By posts. Keep this trash in your pile. Are you going to use this account on F16 too?
McInnis
AG
Muktheduck said:

Bloc323 said:

Alex580 said:

Schloss' mentality is to win every game they play. Reality is you play in a conference with 10-14 postseason caliber teams year to year and you're not going to win every series, and sweeping good teams is very difficult to do.

You can go .500 in the SEC and still host a regional. Florida and LSU were in the championship series last year and neither could manage to win more than 2/3rds of their conference games. It's not about managing expectations, it's just realizing this conference is chock full of national title contending teams

Good post. A couple of years ago Ol Miss finished 14-16 in SEC play and won the CWS. We aren't even two full weekends into conf play and already there's no undefeated or winless teams left.
Chrundle the Great
AG
twk said:

Bloc323 said:

This. Also, pitching is fickle. We're calling Cortez second best off one (really good) relief appearance last week. Right after the Texas game Sdao was pretty clearly our second best reliever. He punched out something like 6 longhorns in 8 batters faced. He's been trending down since, but one game he'll be inserted, miss bats like before and everyone will go "finally!"
Agdad081216
Well of course. Celebratory yesterday.
Just an old dad who raise 3 Ags. Inherited 2 more. GIG’EM
ensign_beedrill
AG
trouble said:

Simple bake today. Bourbon sheet cake

Ummm.... I need that
trouble
AG
It's the HEB box Texas sheet cake but I replaced the water in both the cake and icing with bourbon. Super easy hack and it was so so soooooooo good.
ensign_beedrill
trouble
AG
I was supposed to bake DURING the game but never got off the couch. I had to settle on something quick.
swimmerbabe11
I keep looking for the sunday thread and realizing that you already played your sunday game on saturday
StinkyPinky
AG
trouble said:

It's the HEB box Texas sheet cake but I replaced the water in both the cake and icing with bourbon. Super easy hack and it was so so soooooooo good.
Genius! Going to try this

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.