Olsen Field question (new park or just expansion)
17,909 Views | 183 Replies
Aggie Class of 2026
5:33p, 4/25/24
In reply to twk
twk said:

Aggie Class of 2026 said:

Quote:

we can't fix the park's biggest flaw (the small lower deck)

You think that's the biggest flaw? Why?
Because that's where big donors want to sit. The more seats we have close to the infield, the better.

If that's the case build more box seats. I've seen far to many empty seats on the lower deck to include near home plate.

My suggestion

1. Build double decks on 1st and 3rd base lines to connect with what's current.

2. Do something similar to what Florida has for the out field fence where fans can watch ground level through the out field walls.

3. Put a berm somewhere in the outfield with something unique on it to give the stadium character
twk
5:40p, 4/25/24
In reply to Aggie Class of 2026
There is not room for more "box seats" if by that you mean more seats in the infield. We are out of room.

And the empty seats complaint needs to be dropped. That's all I want to say on that subject.
dermdoc
6:06p, 4/25/24
In reply to twk
twk said:

There is not room for more "box seats" if by that you mean more seats in the infield. We are out of room.

And the empty seats complaint needs to be dropped. That's all I want to say on that subject.
Amen
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Wicked Good Ag
6:16p, 4/25/24
I know how the system works but wish those who have had seats for 25+ years in baseball dont lose their seats when all this happens and priority points becomes the end all to decide
Aggie Class of 2026
9:21p, 4/25/24
In reply to twk
twk said:

Sure thing Petty Officer
Aggie Class of 2026
9:48p, 4/25/24
In reply to Cynical_Texan
Cynical_Texan said:

Can someone inform me what A&M plans to do with our ballpark?

Are they going to "fix it up" in the off season or will a new park be built?

Anyone have any renderings of what they plan to build?

Thank you!

I'll try this again. This is what I specially mean. The yellow indicates suites/box seats.

Red indicates continued double deck seating down both foul lines. I had mentioned something unique in an outfield berm and Miss St more or less has that.

Make the outfield fencing like Florida has where fans can watch the games at field level.
jja79
9:52p, 4/25/24
In reply to dermdoc
dermdoc said:

Bullpen Chias said:

dermdoc said:

Before the Kyle redo

You still have those britches
And they still fit.

I've only met you once and you were wearing those pants. A highlight of my life.
Angry Beaver
12:28a, 4/26/24
twk
7:41a, 4/26/24
In reply to Aggie Class of 2026

Cynical_Texan said:

Thank you!

I'll try this again. This is what I specially mean. The yellow indicates suites/box seats.

Red indicates continued double deck seating down both foul lines. I had mentioned something unique in an outfield berm and Miss St more or less has that.

Make the outfield fencing like Florida has where fans can watch the games at field level.
The word you are looking for is "suites."

While we have people who are willing to make some nice donations, that does not necessarily translate into potential suite buyers. Arkansas has 30+ suites because there are 3 Fortune 500 companies headquartered in the area and a bunch of affiliated businesses who will lease suites and write some of that off as business entertainment expenses. We do not have the same business climate in Brazos County. Our donors are more interested in club seats, but they would prefer to be in the club close to the field. Maybe we can sell some club seats down the line, but that is not the preferred location.
Bullpen Chias
8:01a, 4/26/24
In reply to twk
twk said:

Cynical_Texan said:

Thank you!

While we have people who are willing to make some nice donations, that does not necessarily translate into potential suite buyers. Arkansas has 30+ suites because there are 3 Fortune 500 companies headquartered in the area and a bunch of affiliated businesses who will lease suites and write some of that off as business entertainment expenses. We do not have the same business climate in Brazos County. Our donors are more interested in club seats, but they would prefer to be in the club close to the field. Maybe we can sell some club seats down the line, but that is not the preferred location.

The extension beyond the 3B line to the LF Foul pole will be heavy on premium offerings.
twk
8:24a, 4/26/24
In reply to Bullpen Chias
Bullpen Chias said:

twk said:

Cynical_Texan said:

Thank you!

The extension beyond the 3B line to the LF Foul pole will be heavy on premium offerings.
I'm sure it will, but if they reseat the entire park, the people with first choice will take the existing Diamond Club over whatever they build down the line.
Bullpen Chias
8:55a, 4/26/24
In reply to twk
Probably. Some people enjoy Zone Club over All American Club though. And what if you can see the field from the club? Could make it more appealing to some.

Either way, there's only 330 current club seats with a 99%+ renewal. People will gladly buy up the premium seats down the line, b cause it will be the next best offering.
nereus
10:04a, 4/26/24
In reply to twk
twk said:

While we have people who are willing to make some nice donations, that does not necessarily translate into potential suite buyers. Arkansas has 30+ suites because there are 3 Fortune 500 companies headquartered in the area and a bunch of affiliated businesses who will lease suites and write some of that off as business entertainment expenses.
Veering slightly off topic, but businesses can no longer write off entertainment expenses, like suites. They can still pay for them (and do), but they don't get to take a deduction on their taxes. They can still deduct 1/2 the cost of the food and drinks as long as they aren't extravagant, but they need those costs to be clearly split on the invoice to clearly designate what is food and drink vs what is non-deductible entertainment.
twk
10:15a, 4/26/24
In reply to nereus
nereus said:

twk said:

While we have people who are willing to make some nice donations, that does not necessarily translate into potential suite buyers. Arkansas has 30+ suites because there are 3 Fortune 500 companies headquartered in the area and a bunch of affiliated businesses who will lease suites and write some of that off as business entertainment expenses.
Veering slightly off topic, but businesses can no longer write off entertainment expenses, like suites. They can still pay for them (and do), but they don't get to take a deduction on their taxes. They can still deduct 1/2 the cost of the food and drinks as long as they aren't extravagant, but they need those costs to be clearly split on the invoice to clearly designate what is food and drink vs what is non-deductible entertainment.
Since I never bother with trying to claim business entertainment, I was only vaguely aware that they had made some changes on this subject. I don' think that would affect A&M as much as my example of Arkansas. The suite owners at A&M, from my limited knowledge, tend to lean toward individuals. But, the point is, there are fewer individuals than businesses that are interested in this kind of seating. Suites aren't cheap to build, so unless you get a good price for them, it's not a great idea to overbuild suites. From my visit to Gainesville earlier this season, I think they only have TWO suites in their new park (but they have 800 or so club seats). I really think that is where the market is for Aggie baseball. Maybe a half dozen more suites would make sense (we have 10 IIRC), but we need a lot more club seats.
75AG
10:17a, 4/26/24
In reply to twk
If they add more suites to the existing suite level, welp there go our seats.
twk
10:21a, 4/26/24
In reply to 75AG
75AG said:

I don't know, but I kind of think that most of the work would be down the line. It would be expensive to add them along the current level, and result in a loss of seating (as you point out; working against Schloss's goal of expanding capacity).

However, they are apparently going to reseat the entire stadium, so be prepared to say goodbye to your seats (unless you are up there in priority points, or have less desirable seats) and your neighbors (who don't have the same points as you).
TexAg1987
10:21a, 4/26/24
In reply to 75AG
75AG said:

They have room to add one more on each side. Currently they are open decks.
Would take out some seats in front to add the seating for the suite, I suppose.
75AG
10:22a, 4/26/24
75AG
10:22a, 4/26/24
In reply to TexAg1987
That would be us….
Hearne_Ag
10:46a, 4/26/24
I think some simple changes can be made to add a few seats down low, eliminate the (red) rails and add seating, add rows (yellow) in the diamond club and make it three rows possibly four if you move the wall all the way back to the row above. I know y'all have said it won't get touched but there's a lot of space not being used.
trouble
10:49a, 4/26/24
In reply to 75AG
I just want a seat
75AG
10:50a, 4/26/24
In reply to trouble
trouble said:

I just want a seat
Me too. Me too.
ensign_beedrill
11:38a, 4/26/24
In reply to TexAg1987
TexAg1987 said:

75AG said:

Those are ADA seating areas. They are required by law. If they put a suite there, they'll have to take out seats elsewhere for new ADA seating in the second level.
Farmer1906
11:41a, 4/26/24
I think the last renovation plans mostly cover the needs. One massive change though. Instead of the RF berm, I would put in seats that match the other side. But behind those seats put a large structure with a club that lines up with the 2nd deck. Think Gallagher Club for those who go to MMP. Then anyone in the ballpark with season tickets can add a club fee to enjoy the large RF club.

2 Rows of premium seats to sell.

A large area with TV, tables, bars, food.

twk
12:33p, 4/26/24
In reply to TexAg1987
TexAg1987 said:

75AG said:

If they do that, I think they have to add ADA seating in the second deck somewhere else.
gambochaman
12:42p, 4/26/24
lazy river around the stadium
Scooley01
12:44p, 4/26/24
Is the point of the berms just to be low maintenance seating for GA? Or is there an actual desire from fans to touch grass during the game or something?
TexAg1987
12:50p, 4/26/24
In reply to twk
twk said:

TexAg1987 said:

75AG said:

If they do that, I think they have to add ADA seating in the second deck somewhere else.
They would, but the decks were built for future suites. Maybe two on each side, I can't remember.
nereus
2:02p, 4/26/24
In reply to Scooley01
Scooley01 said:

Is the point of the berms just to be low maintenance seating for GA? Or is there an actual desire from fans to touch grass during the game or something?
For the style of berms we have, it is the former. Cheaper to build, looks better when empty, able to charge more for actual seats in lower demand games since there are less of them. Berms designed like the Olsen berms should really just be overflow seating that is mostly empty except for a few games a year. Our berms suck because we have too much regular demand for seats that they aren't really just used for occasional overflow.

Of course, there are ways to design berms that fans actually do want. There is demand if you make them more of a party lawn area (like Aggie Alley, Hog Pen, etc.). Let fans bring in coolers, lawn chairs, etc.
Ag8086
3:23p, 4/26/24
Just make the berms artificial field turf and not real grass, less maintenance.
RED AG 98
3:40p, 4/26/24
I'd like to see us move the berm behind the outfield fence somewhere. It would provide room for more permanent seating down the 1B line (in addition to the same on the 3B side, not instead of); and it would move the often distracted (parents, students) or less attentive (young kids) out of a hot foul ball area. I think RF connected to the playground area would be awesome.
BeowulfShaeffer
3:52p, 4/26/24
In reply to Ag8086
Ag8086 said:

Just make the berms artificial field turf and not real grass, less maintenance.
That'll get pretty hot in the direct sunlight. Plastic grass retains a lot more heat than actual grass.
RED AG 98
5:46p, 4/26/24
Is this temporary measures for the postseason? Or vestigial elements from the past? Or???

TexAg1987
7:04p, 4/26/24
Probably bleachers for Arky/postseason
twk
9:42p, 4/26/24
In reply to RED AG 98
RED AG 98 said:

Is this temporary measures for the postseason? Or vestigial elements from the past? Or???

NCAA makes us close that area, so setting up some bleachers and running it as part of Section 12 would make sense.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 5 of 6
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings