OT: "Bryan-College Station"

7,484 Views | 84 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by TyHolden
West Point Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am almost certain this has been discussed here or maybe on the football board but why do broadcasts begin by saying welcome to Davis Diamond or Bluebell Park or Kyle Field in Bryan-College Station?

Unless you're referring to a building up in the TAMUS offices, every single athletic facility is entirely in CS…is this to get them "airtime"? Is this a re-branding? Is this another "Sharp-ism" like effing up the university seal?

It should not bother me like it does, but geographic accuracy should matter.
BQ_90
AG
New indoor tennis is in Bryan
TyHolden
AG
Santa's Wonderland and Dude Perfect Land are in SoCoStat....future home of Buccees Park.
trouble
AG
So is the official golf course
Muktheduck
Bryan is also part of Aggieland, it's fine
wareagle044
A victory for Bryan in the never ending war between the two cities
BiochemAg97
AG
Bryan reached an agreement with TAMU a few years back to include them as Aggieland. Probably includes A&M referring to the community as BCS rather than just College Station.

Also, is campus actually college station or just surrounded by college station? Campus existed prior to College Station and is state land. Not really any value for CoCS to "annex" campus given state doesn't pay property tax. Thus, I think the "in" is really just that the surrounding/adjacent community is BCS rather than a declaration of the venue being within certain city limits.
TyHolden
AG
may it never end...

Hearne_Ag
AG

L8HIT
AG
TyHolden said:

Santa's Wonderland and Dude Perfect Land are in SoCoStat....future home of Buccees Park.

Buccees Park?
Turf96
Bryan has tiny you know what syndrome. They fought to claim A&M. Who could blame them?

Still doesn't change the fact they have almost nothing to do with the University. They just happen to be neighbors.

It ends up a lot like the longhorns. They try to fight for superiority yet not many really like them. It's a lot like having a super hot chick live next door and then claim she is yours. Pretty desperate and embarrassing for them actually.
TxAg8908
Saying Bryan-College Station is stupid af. Sharp is an idiot.
BiochemAg97
AG
Turf96 said:

Bryan has tiny you know what syndrome. They fought to claim A&M. Who could blame them?

Still doesn't change the fact they have almost nothing to do with the University. They just happen to be neighbors.

It ends up a lot like the longhorns. They try to fight for superiority yet not many really like them. It's a lot like having a super hot chick live next door and then claim she is yours. Pretty desperate and embarrassing for them actually.

That's funny. Texas A&M wouldn't be here without the land Bryan residents provided for the University. But yeah, almost nothing to do with A&M.

And the 2200 acres of university land in Bryan… almost nothing, just lives next door.
The Banned
You want to have nice neighbors, right? Want to keep up the property values in the neighborhood. College station being a great town doesn't do much when the city that is quite literally across the road sucks. Bryan can use all the help it can get, so it doesn't bother me at all to try and get them some good publicity.
BCG Disciple
AG
I like how Sharp gets blamed for everything any poster doesn't like.
Hehateme1
BCG Disciple said:

I heard that F16 was another of Sharps' brilliant ideas.
Azeew
Turf96 said:

LOL. Sounds like someone in Bryan banged your wife
Schrute Farms
Turf96 said:

This way of thinking is about 30 years outdated.
MaroonStain
AG
TxAg8908 said:

Only been happening for like 50 years but okay.
Bullpen Chias
AG
BCG Disciple said:

In this case, the resolution was signed by John Sharp.
AggieZUUL
AG
Would you ever tell someone you graduated from Texas A&M University, College Station-Bryan? No.

Bryan/College Station is technically the metropolitan area with the twin cities in the center of it.

For an announcer to say " we are bringing today's game from Kyle Field at Texas A&M University, in Bryan-College Station would be technically correct if referring to the 2,123 square miles of metropolitan area, but it would be more appropriate to just say College Station, because that is the normal thing to do.

While we're on it, the New York Giants should be the New Jersey Giants and Dallas Cowboys the Arlington Cowboys.
trouble
AG
Oh that's precious. So many people moving back are moving to Bryan specifically because CS City council is whack.

Life is good in Bryan. You should visit.
EVA3
AG
MaroonStain said:

TxAg8908 said:

And before that, no one mentioned College Station at all.
TxAg8908
MaroonStain said:

TxAg8908 said:

Wrong
TheBonifaceOption
Too many Ags from inside the 610 loop of the Katy/Houston area.
Buck Turgidson
BCG Disciple said:

The solution is to finally get rid of him so he won't be blamed anymore.
Buck Turgidson
trouble said:

Oh that's precious. So many people moving back are moving to Bryan specifically because CS City council is whack.

You do have a crazy bunch of nimby *****es on the College Station city council. This is what happens when you let liberal academics vote.
ZoneClubber
AG
trouble said:

Thank you. Some real asshats on this thread.

If you went to A&M in the 80s 90s 2000s, Bryan isn't what it used to be.
jmfshr
AG
The RELLIS campus, golf, and tennis facilities are in Bryan. The City of Bryan contributes hotel and motel taxes to A&M facilities. Most everyone knows that the 'college station' was only a rail-stop outside of the town of Bryan before College Station became a town. Bryan made a mistake by not annexing the land around the campus before CS was formed. It's not that much trouble to say 'Bryan/College Station, to acknowledge Bryan's contributions to the University.
trouble
AG
No, they do. My city council is much less crazy.
trouble
AG
I think I told you when we moved back that I looked exclusively in Bryan. I love my old house with its big yard.

I also lived in Bryan from '94-'04 and never had issues then either.
twk
AG
They are throwing a bone to Bryan for contributing hotel tax to the Kyle Field renovation. Since then, the university has also partnered with the City of Bryan on an indoor tennis facility. And, Bryan worked with the university on the development of Traditions. It does sound a little jarring, but it's a political payoff that Bryan has earned. I'll never say it, but I understand why the school asks the media to do it.
trouble
AG
The health science center is also in Bryan.
Baron de Bastrop
AG
The Texas A&M University System has invested more than $1B into the City of Bryan over the past several years.

RELLIS 2200 acre campus is in Bryan.

Health Science Center is at Traditions in Bryan.

College of Architecture is in downtown Bryan.

8 Colleges at Texas A&M University are in Bryan.

Back in the 80s, total FBI Part 1 crime in Bryan was nearly double College Station. For the past 7 years Bryan's has been slightly less. Both cities are generally safe but have some neighborhoods that are less safe than others.

Generally, both cities are greatly benefiting from a close relationship with Texas A&M.

Have you changed since College? So has Bryan…

Gig'em Bryan-College Station!

BiochemAg97
AG
trouble said:

The health science center is also in Bryan.

On land Bryan gave to the university for that purpose. Hmm, where have I heard about Bryan donating land to the University before… oh yeah, back in the 1870s when the university was founded on land provided by Bryan.

When was the last time College Station gave land to the university.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.