Weather heads up

7,642 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by HoustonAg2106
dermdoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Schloss on Texags said we might move Sunday's game to Saturday for a Saturday dh.

Will not know until tomorrow.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
RED AG 98
AG
Also said the SEC frowns upon make decisions too early, and that morning of the game is about as early as they like to see any changes. Seemed to be hinting at 3 games in the span of 24 hours...
12th Man Ag
AG
Wonder how they handle that? Clear the stadium and folks with Sunday tickets get in after the first game?
trouble
AG
Sunday is looking really wet
trouble
AG
They usually don't clear it but it's also not usually expected to be packed.
aggiealltheway
AG
I'm selling my Saturday tickets because my boy has a baseball tournament, but I can make a later game on Saturday on they have the DH. I hope they let us in for the 2nd game, since I won't have sold those.

...of course, this is all IF they do end up moving the game.
Capitol Ag
AG
I will be there (have tix for Sat and Sun) and that would not bother me! A double header is always fun!

I also like the idea of getting back a little earlier on Sunday to hang out with the family.
HeyAbbott
AG
Trust in Coach Schloss about the weather!
tamc93
AG
trouble said:

Exactly. A great problem for them to have to solve!

With GA already being sold out on Saturday adding another "ballpark" of GA holdovers for Game 2, would be a PITA.

I could see them clearing the park in this event.
scottk1966
AG
What I heard when he talking... Friday game moved to Saturday for double-header and Sunday game moved to Monday.
AggieBand2004
AG
scottk1966 said:

What I heard when he talking... Friday game moved to Saturday for double-header and Sunday game moved to Monday.

I don't think you can move a conference game to Monday
dermdoc
AG
AggieBand2004 said:

scottk1966 said:

I don't think you can move a conference game to Monday

That is correct. Games have to be in a 72 hour time period.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
scottk1966
AG
Saturday to Monday is a 72 hour period. I will go back and listen though. Perhaps I misheard.
twk
AG
72 hours from when the visitors arrive (deemed 24 hours before scheduled first pitch regardless of actual time of day they hit town).
twk
AG
tamc93 said:

trouble said:

Exactly. A great problem for them to have to solve!

With GA already being sold out on Saturday adding another "ballpark" of GA holdovers for Game 2, would be a PITA.

I could see them clearing the park in this event.
Playing 2 and treating tickets for the "other" game as GA is the usual move, but who knows. Given the advance sale of GA, they might very well need to do a day/night doubleheader and clear the park between games.
VegasAg86
AG
twk said:

72 hours from when the visitors arrive (deemed 24 hours before scheduled first pitch regardless of actual time of day they hit town).

Is that time already set, or would moving the Friday game to Saturday change it?
VegasAg86
AG
Seems to me 1 on Friday, 2 on Saturday is the better option.

twk
AG
VegasAg86 said:

twk said:

Is that time already set, or would moving the Friday game to Saturday change it?
Long and short of it, with first pitch scheduled for 6, if they travel today, then the curfew Sunday night would be 6:00 (no inning could start after 6:00). And, that's assuming the visitors are not flying commercial, in which case it could be earlier.
trouble
AG
scottk1966 said:

Friday isn't going to be nearly as rainy as Sunday.
Gyles Marrett
Looking beyond the precipitation forecast...Friday and Saturday are showing 20-30 mph winds blowing out to left. Is there anywhere I can place a bet on the over for HR's, whatever that number may be?
tamc93
AG
or how many may reach the rec center balcony.
parkway94
AG
I have tickets for the Sat game.

If the Sunday game gets moved to late Sat, I assume that the original Sat game start time then would be moved up to 11am?

If so re the above- when will we know the official new start time for the Sat game? Some/many of us are driving in from out of town so I'd hope we know by tomorrow night.

cj774
AG
Granted this is for regionals but when I have been at doubleheaders during that time I remember them clearing the seats and then letting people back in.
twk
AG
parkway94 said:

If the Sunday game gets moved to late Sat, I assume that the original Sat game start time then would be moved up to 11am?

If so re the above- when will we know the official new start time for the Sat game? Some/many of us are driving in from out of town so I'd hope we know by tomorrow night.

I would not count on them starting before 2:00 on Saturday. Maybe they will, but the weather Saturday evening looks even better than the weather Saturday morning. There is a possibility that we have some stoppages Friday night, so, if I were in charge, I would leave the first game Saturday at 2:00 in case we play late Friday night. Regardless, if they are going to schedule a DH Saturday, they will probably announce that (along with a planned first pitch time) late Friday afternoon.
trouble
AG
Regionals are completely different
twk
AG
cj774 said:

Granted this is for regionals but when I have been at doubleheaders during that time I remember them clearing the seats and then letting people back in.
Yes, that is S.O.P. for regionals. But not so much for regular season games. I think we may have done that in the past, like on Parent's Weekend, but it's been a long time ago.
BiochemAg97
AG
twk said:

parkway94 said:

I would not count on them starting before 2:00 on Saturday. Maybe they will, but the weather Saturday evening looks even better than the weather Saturday morning. There is a possibility that we have some stoppages Friday night, so, if I were in charge, I would leave the first game Saturday at 2:00 in case we play late Friday night. Regardless, if they are going to schedule a DH Saturday, they will probably announce that (along with a planned first pitch time) late Friday afternoon.

Can you do a halt and resume on Sat followed by a double header? 2.5 games on Saturday seems like a lot.
twk
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

twk said:

parkway94 said:

Can you do a halt and resume on Sat followed by a double header? 2.5 games on Saturday seems like a lot.

No. But the curfew rules for Friday night would be pretty lenient. If we start the game, and have to stop it for rain/lightning, the only restriction on restarting is that you can't restart the game after midnight (I think that's the time). If you get restarted before the deadline, you can finish, no matter how late it goes. So, simply playing past midnight won't count. What we can't do is start Friday, have the game suspended, then say that we are picking up where we left off Saturday morning at 11, and then play a doubleheader. We could only play one game in addition to the resumed game, if I recall correctly.
Scooley01
AG
What are the implications if the series gets cut short because of weather and we only get two games in? Does that hurt/help us, as far as the overall season goes?
twk
AG
Scooley01 said:

What are the implications if the series gets cut short because of weather and we only get two games in? Does that hurt/help us, as far as the overall season goes?
Conference championship is determined by winning percentage, so I guess it sort of depends on how you think the lost game would have come out.

In reality, the biggest probably with having a game rained out this weekend would be losing a home game, but even that is not a huge deal. Georgia is a good opponent and you can't assume a game not played would have been a win.
parkway94
AG
Thanks everyone for the comments re Saturday scenarios. Great responses. Like all of you I'm sure, I'll stay tuned to TexAgs Friday night for updates.
86 Tex Ag
AG
https://a.espncdn.com/sec/media/2022/2022-23%20Commissioner's%20Regulations%20-%20Baseball.pdf

Read inclement weather and definition for "departure time" … p23 p24+
tamc93
AG
Plenty of good reading, but the most appropriate guidance so far (bold added for emphasis):

7. Authority to Play Doubleheaders

A. If weather forecasts on Friday or Saturday morning call for a high occurrence of inclement weather on Sunday, the home team with approval of the visiting team may request permission from the Conference office to play a doubleheader on Saturday.

B. Approval of a prospective Saturday doubleheader shall be limited to circumstances where there is a high likelihood that weather will not permit a game to be played on the final day of the series. [Revised: 10/10/19]

C. Approval of a prospective Friday doubleheader will be granted by the Conference Office only if there is a chance of rain of 80 percent or higher according to weather.gov for both Saturday and Sunday as of no earlier than 5 p.m. local time on Thursday and it is agreed upon by both head coaches. (This is not applicable to Thursday through Saturday series.) [Adopted: 10/10/19]
ensign_beedrill
AG
Going to the SEC like "please, sir, can I have a double header?"
TheBonifaceOption
The hourly on Sunday is nothing but thunderstorms.

If you want 3 games, you're gonna need to have 2 on Saturday.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.