8,636 Views | 88 Replies
Iowaggie
1:17p, 3/10/22
Dave Chappelle said what many were thinking (NSFW):

TexasAggie81
8:05p, 3/10/22
In reply to infinity ag
infinity ag said:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/university-of-iowa-basketball-player-nil-gender-pay-gap-210116570.html

Quote:

The Name, Image, and Likeness (NIL) compensation gap between men's and women's NCAA athletes is widening, according to new data released by Opendorse on Monday.

The difference between female and male payment grew by more than 4% over the past two months, with men on Division 1 teams accounting for 71.7% of the compensation while women earned 28.3%.

Quote:

The University of Iowa women's basketball star Caitlin Clark believes the discrepancy comes down to big brands choosing not to partner with female athletes.

"I think we just haven't been given those opportunities," Clark said on Yahoo Finance Live (video above).
Data indicates that Clark may be onto something: Football, baseball, and men's basketball lead all NIL activities, per Opendorse, and account for nearly half of all NIL activity, while women's basketball represents less than 5%.
Quote:

During that series, University Oregon women's basketball player Sedona Prince used her large following on TikTok to reveal stark differences between the men's and women's workout facilities. The men's gym included several squat racks, free weights, and other exercise equipment, while the women's teams were left with just a few sets of dumbbells.

Quote:

"These inequities are something I've kind of lived throughout my college experience," Clark said. "And only being in college for two years and is something I can use my voice and my platform to do. So it was an easy yes for me to partner with them."

Girl, the women's game just isn't that good, and it's certainly not nearly as good as the men's game. It's slow and boring. The number of missed shots in the women's game makes it painfully to watch. No thanks. Play equally well, and then we'll talk. Until then, shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Ciboag96
8:06p, 3/10/22
Think of the gender pay gap in Women's Swimming alone!
Boozer92
8:42p, 3/10/22
I wonder if that is only compensation for players represented by opendorse? I have trouble believing SEC is ranked 6th among conferences for NIL compensation. I also doubt womens basketball makes more than mens.
AggieKatie2
8:48p, 3/10/22
Not a Title IX or uni issue so....oh well, welcome to the real world.
tylercsbn9
8:57p, 3/10/22
It was blatantly obvious a year ago it would be a rallying cry when this was instituted that men made more money. The reason football, MBB, and to some extent baseball get more money is because schools funnel it to them to recruit them because those are the money sports. You aren't going to have a bunch of donors getting together to funnel money to a women's BB team or softball.

You have to be attractive to get NIL money as a chick. Look at that LSU gymnast.
Stat Monitor Repairman
1:46a, 5/8/24

Indiana sports columnist makes heart sign with hands at Clark; immediately gets suspended and banned from covering Clark.

1. Who else on earth has got that kind of privilege?

and

2. How much extra do WNBA players need to get paid in order to deal with the media?
stallion6
5:30a, 5/8/24
In reply to infinity ag
infinity ag said:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/university-of-iowa-basketball-player-nil-gender-pay-gap-210116570.html

Quote:

The Name, Image, and Likeness (NIL) compensation gap between men's and women's NCAA athletes is widening, according to new data released by Opendorse on Monday.

The difference between female and male payment grew by more than 4% over the past two months, with men on Division 1 teams accounting for 71.7% of the compensation while women earned 28.3%.

Quote:

The University of Iowa women's basketball star Caitlin Clark believes the discrepancy comes down to big brands choosing not to partner with female athletes.

"I think we just haven't been given those opportunities," Clark said on Yahoo Finance Live (video above).
Data indicates that Clark may be onto something: Football, baseball, and men's basketball lead all NIL activities, per Opendorse, and account for nearly half of all NIL activity, while women's basketball represents less than 5%.
Quote:

During that series, University Oregon women's basketball player Sedona Prince used her large following on TikTok to reveal stark differences between the men's and women's workout facilities. The men's gym included several squat racks, free weights, and other exercise equipment, while the women's teams were left with just a few sets of dumbbells.

Quote:

"These inequities are something I've kind of lived throughout my college experience," Clark said. "And only being in college for two years and is something I can use my voice and my platform to do. So it was an easy yes for me to partner with them."

Her voice is not going to make women's sports more enjoyable to watch. Such an old argument. Bottom line, people get compensated for the value they provide.
BMX Bandit
5:52a, 5/8/24
In reply to stallion6
The schools have no one to blame but themselves.

NIL on its own has nothing to do with title IX. At the school couldn't leave it alone. They started setting up these collectives and helping kids get NIL deals.

Now, they are even pushing to have the NIL come directly from the school.

FCBlitz
5:59a, 5/8/24
Maybe Playboy will make a comeback…….there is potential for NIL money with them…..

…..perfect skit for SNL
HDeathstar
7:38a, 5/8/24
How much NIL for them NOT to play?
Madman
7:45a, 5/8/24
In reply to Stat Monitor Repairman
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Indiana sports columnist makes heart sign with hands at Clark; immediately gets suspended and banned from covering Clark.

1. Who else on earth has got that kind of privilege?

and

2. How much extra do WNBA players need to get paid in order to deal with the media?

What was said in that exchange that I missed? Or was he doing something off camera?
Heisenberg01
8:03a, 5/8/24
He made the heart shape to her and then told her that he wanted her to do it to him and they'd get along just fine. Don't know if it deserves a year suspension from covering the team, but it's definitely creepy to have an old man act that way to a woman who just got out of college. Very unprofessional behavior. When can we go back to the media just asking questions about the games and not fawning over these athletes like idols.
Ags4DaWin
1:24p, 5/8/24
In reply to Heisenberg01
Heisenberg01 said:

He made the heart shape to her and then told her that he wanted her to do it to him and they'd get along just fine. Don't know if it deserves a year suspension from covering the team, but it's definitely creepy to have an old man act that way to a woman who just got out of college. Very unprofessional behavior. When can we go back to the media just asking questions about the games and not fawning over these athletes like idols.

Media journalists have always demanded that athletes kiss the ring in order to "get along" or get favorable coverage.

This is nothing new, just how it looks when the media journalist is a man and the athlete is a female.

Do you all remember the backlash after male athletes expressed discomfort at female journalists being in the men's locker room after games? And the female journalists demanded the men let them in the lockerroom despite the objections of the male athletes. Journalists are narcissistic *******s

Imagine a male journalist demanding the same from female athletes- to be allowed in the locker room after games.
i is smart
1:40p, 5/8/24
Seems like Athletic Departments will need to cut some sports if everyone is wanting to dip their hand in the cookie jar.
Stat Monitor Repairman
1:47p, 5/8/24
Again, what other athlete on earth would garner this kind of privilege?
BBRex
2:25p, 5/8/24
In reply to Ol_Ag_02
Ol_Ag_02 said:

jrdaustin said:

Comment #1: That chart is obviously inaccurate, as there are two Women's Basketball categories in the chart.

Comment #2: That said, the revenues shown in the chart are suspiciously correlated to the public interest - and income generating potential - of the various sports in question.

Based on the rationale of 'inequity' in the article, one wonders why there aren't NIL revenues for quidditch.

Quality journalism. It took two seconds to look at that chart and realize it was wrong. How many idiots with journalism degrees signed off on it first.
Nowadays, probably one. That's part of why you see more mistakes like this.
TarponChaser
5:41p, 5/8/24
In reply to infinity ag
infinity ag said:

ThreatLevel: Midnight said:

I hate to be "that guy" but if she were higher on the points scale (closer to a 10) I bet those NIL deals would look a bit different.

Also, I need to know how many followers she has on socials. Barstool is dropping NIL deals on players that get their follows up. Doesn't matter D1-D3.

Yes.
Look at Anna Kournikova, the tennis player. She won a grand total of ZERO titles, but made a lot of money in ad spend because of her looks.

Still a smokeshow.

Stat Monitor Repairman
9:49p, 5/8/24
Imagine if the roles were reversed to Manziel's first presser after being drafted:
Quote:

"Hi, Johnny, Gregg Doyel, Indy Star. Real quick, let me do this," Doyel said to Johnny before flashing money Manziel hand sign.
Quote:

"You like that?" Johnny asked.
Quote:

"I like that you're here. I like that you're here," Doyel replied.
Quote:

"I do that at my family after every game, so," JFF said.
Quote:

"OK, well start doing that to me and we'll get along just fine," Doyel responded.
Exchange called inappropriate. Reporter suspended and banned from covering Johnny.

Welcome to 2024 and what makes it more hilarious is these are the same people that cry because womens sports get disproportionate media coverage.

Who else on earth can piss in their own hot tub like this and be and be mad about it?
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 3 of 3
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings