General EPL Discussion/Housery Thread
159,300 Views | 2572 Replies
Showstopper
6:32p, 5/15/24
I feel like they only have the match official take a look when they blew it. I can't remember the last time i saw them go to the screen and stick with the call. They should either be looking at more calls (and some stand) or get rid of having the guy go to the screen entirely. If it always means it is getting overturned, it's just a waste of time to show him.
Agthatbuilds
7:16p, 5/15/24
In reply to deadbq03
Yes, but it used to not ultimately matter. It only matters now because they've introduced a method to correct some poor calls. Not all, but some, which is pretty annoying on its own.
deadbq03
9:57p, 5/15/24
In reply to Agthatbuilds
Well we can at least agree on your last point. The inconsistent application of the technology is frustrating.

Drives me crazy that VAR isn't used in GK/Corner decisions… it's already a stoppage in play, it's an easy thing for Refs/ARs to miss - especially when it's on the other side of the goal from the AR, and it either sets up or denies a scoring opportunity … so it's kind of a big deal to get right.

And yeah, I'm angry because my team got scored on in a corner that the other team shouldn't have had, and the mistake was made obvious by the fantastic modern TV production crews we have.
TXAggie2011
9:05a, 5/17/24
deadbq03
10:02a, 5/17/24
This says a ton about PGMOL… as many have said for a long time: VAR works well in other places…

Furlock Bones
10:52a, 5/17/24
https://www.barcablaugranes.com/2024/5/17/24158804/angry-joan-laporta-tipped-to-fire-xavi-as-barcelona-coach-for-two-reasons

So Xavi says he's going to quit. Team starts playing well. The club convinces him to stay. Now Laporta wants to fire him. Barca are a mess.
Showstopper
11:48a, 5/17/24
It is really bizarre. It's not like they've been playing bad lately, and the comments basically just said they can't spend and get everyone they want; it was hardly inflammatory. Let me put it this way: it wasn't the Antonio Conte press conference.
Dre_00
11:58a, 5/17/24
In reply to TXAggie2011
That man is so gone. He's stubborn so he'll last a while. But at some point in the next year or two, he'll either hit a bad run and get fired or eventually get fed up, tell everyone to go eff themselves, and walk out.
themissinglink
9:45a, 5/18/24
A funny moment in Scotland. In December, Celtic were letting the league slip away. They had a bad loss to hearts at home and the fans booed Santa during halftime. After finding their form back in the last months of the season, they won the league and let Santa have his redemption on trophy day…
Showstopper
10:06a
Well so much for that supposed drama. Sorry Arsenal.
Furlock Bones
10:17a
Awful last day to the season. No relegation fight. Man Dhabi with another easy run in to secure another plastic trophy. Bundesliga kicked the EPL's butt for entertainment value this year.
Forum Troll
12:06p
Pitch invasion for City? This would be like rushing the court when MJ won his sixth title.
Bryan98
12:26p
In reply to Showstopper
Showstopper said:

I feel like they only have the match official take a look when they blew it. I can't remember the last time i saw them go to the screen and stick with the call. They should either be looking at more calls (and some stand) or get rid of having the guy go to the screen entirely. If it always means it is getting overturned, it's just a waste of time to show him.

Today the Tottenham - Sheffield United official was called to the screen about a possible red, but didn't give it - though he did show it to the player as an apparent warning, which I've never seen before.
Texaggie7nine
12:28p
In reply to Forum Troll
Forum Troll said:

Pitch invasion for City? This would be like rushing the court when MJ won his sixth title.

I mean it was the first 4 peat ever
7nine
Mathguy64
12:43p
Best team a sovereign, sportswashing, cheating owner can buy.
jeffk
12:44p
In reply to Texaggie7nine
Congrats
Aston94
12:57p
In reply to Texaggie7nine
Nice.
Showstopper
12:59p
In reply to Bryan98
Bryan98 said:

Showstopper said:

Today the Tottenham - Sheffield United official was called to the screen about a possible red, but didn't give it - though he did show it to the player as an apparent warning, which I've never seen before.

Well… that's pretty bizarre. "I'm not giving you a red, but come look at this and see how I should be giving you a red." Has to be a last day oddity.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 74 of 74
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings