*****Official Dallas Stars 2023-2024 Season Thread*****

189,951 Views | 3654 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Legal Custodian
All I do is Nguyen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Can someone please tell me why the Knights are allowed to put players on IR for almost the entire season to all of a sudden activate them red for the playoffs?

And they're known for doing this, like everyone knows it yet can't do anything about it.
GrapevineAg
AG
Unfortunately it's not just them (see TB and others). IMHO, the league needs to address this. The other Big 4 sports (MLB, NFL, and NBA) don't have this problem.
Grapesoda2525
All I do is Nguyen said:

Can someone please tell me why the Knights are allowed to put players on IR for almost the entire season to all of a sudden activate them red for the playoffs?

And they're known for doing this, like everyone knows it yet can't do anything about it.
It's only one guy right?

I figured we would be playing a much lesser version of the knights than the one we played last year.
All I do is Nguyen
Grapesoda2525 said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

It's only one guy right?

I figured we would be playing a much lesser version of the knights than the one we played last year.
From what I have read yes, but everyone I talk to who is more in the know as far as hockey goes, says they do it all the time and with more than just one guy.

I just know that Vegas has had our number in the playoffs in recent years and am not looking forward to playing them in rnd 1
Grapesoda2525
Remember game 2 was very close to being a win last year until Suter screwed up. Vegas was about to pull their goalie.

We also lost 1 game because of Jamie benns cheap penalty.

I don't see the series playing out the same way. Tanev should provide a big boost to our defense and our offense is probably better than last years.
TV Casualty
AG
shack009 said:

I live in Phoenix and it's wild that it seems like this is barely a blip on the radar here. They just don't seem to care all that much. It's pretty wild for a metropolitan area that is the 11th biggest in the country to lose their team to a metro that is barely top 50. And it's just apathy.

What's crazy to me is that they support a division 1 hockey team in Arizona St. How did support build for college hockey while the Coyotes failed?

From an outside perspective it seems like the owner never became aligned with a community and the local politics. Moving to Glendale seemed like a mistake and then something went south with that relationship. The team stopped paying their bills and had to move. With no real plan they ended up at Mullet arena which is absurd for a NHL franchise. Two years later and still no concrete plan.

Just seems like a bad owner who could never come up with a plan to entrench the team in a community. Didn't help that the team was pretty bad during its entire existence.

HockeyAg07
AG
Thanks for nothing, Ottawa.
FWAppraiser
AG
Would have been nice, but hopefully the blueshirts lose early in the playoffs and it doesn't matter.

Just hope we can clinch the west.
GrapevineAg
AG
I'd prefer to play LA in the 1st round (instead of VGK) and it could happen whether we are the 1 or 2 seed. Kings are currently losing to the Mild, keeping them alive for the 8 seed. I think the Stars are better than both of them, so bring on whoever, but I think the Kings are a better matchup.
BassCowboy33
GrapevineAg said:

I'd prefer to play LA in the 1st round (instead of VGK) and it could happen whether we are the 1 or 2 seed. Kings are currently losing to the Mild, keeping them alive for the 8 seed. I think the Stars are better than both of them, so bring on whoever, but I think the Kings are a better matchup.
LA is a dream 1R matchup for Dallas.
Tksymm7
AG
GrapevineAg said:

I'd prefer LA as well, but a part of me wants to play Vegas early before they get into gear as a team. Vegas strikes me as a team that if they pick up steam they will be an extremely tough out.
HockeyAg07
AG
I'd rather play Vegas in round one. Since they obviously knocked us out last year, I think they'd get our full attention and best effort right outta the gates.
Tksymm7
AG
I think there's a real chance as well that Vegas is quite disjointed and or rusty with how different their team will be compared to what they have had the past three months.
FWAppraiser
AG
Don't know if anyone else is following the craziness out east, but Washington and Philadelphia are tied in the 3rd. If Washington wins, they're in. Detroit needs Philadelphia to win. Detroit is tied in their game in the 3rd as well, which they have to win. Philadelphia only gets in if they win, Detroit loses and Pittsburgh loses tommorow.
Crazy drama.
FWAppraiser
AG
Detroit just tied it back up with 4 seconds left. Cardiac kids!
WyoAgg10
AG
FWAppraiser said:

Don't know if anyone else is following the craziness out east, but Washington and Philadelphia are tied in the 3rd. If Washington wins, they're in. Detroit needs Philadelphia to win. Detroit is tied in their game in the 3rd as well, which they have to win. Philadelphia only gets in if they win, Detroit loses and Pittsburgh loses tommorow.
Crazy drama.

Why'd Philly pull their goalie with 3 mins left? I'm so lost trying to read all this
ryanhnc10
AG
They needed to win in regulation. Caps are ahead of them so a tie wasn't good enough
FWAppraiser
AG
ryanhnc10 said:

They needed to win in regulation. Caps are ahead of them so a tie wasn't good enough

This. Washington getting even 1 point would have eliminated them.
WyoAgg10
AG
Got it, should have assumed that.

This is fun hockey!
FWAppraiser
AG
Now we just need Calgary to beat Vancouver and we can coast tomorrow night!
GrapevineAg
AG
glad we get to see Ovi, an all-time great, in the playoffs again.
Legal Custodian
AG
Canucks gonna make us earn the top spot tomorrow.

Vegas up 1-0 heading into the third. They'd jump ahead of the kings if they win.
Grapesoda2525
Vegas plays the ducks on Thursday

The kings plays the blackhawks on Thursday

Both teams are likely to win. I think our likely playoff opponent is now the kings.

Stars need to end the season with a win and clinch the top seed.
FWAppraiser
AG
So the Eastern Conference finishes play tonight. Western finishes tomorrow night. Looks like they're setting things up for the Eastern series to start Saturday and ours to start either Sunday or Monday. Was really hoping we would get going Saturday.
WyoAgg10
AG
Feel like last year we didn't have many Friday / Saturday home playoff games. Hope that doesn't continue this year…
Tksymm7
AG
I don't even care about what days of the week they play. I just want as few 8:00-9:00 pm start times as possible, even though I know we are going to have our fair share.
The Pilot
AG
Tksymm7 said:

I don't even care about what days of the week they play. I just want as few 8:00-9:00 pm start times as possible, even though I know we are going to have our fair share.
I bet the only ones that aren't 8 or 9pm would be the weekend games.
Tksymm7
AG
Breaks my heart lol.
Legal Custodian
AG
Tksymm7 said:

I feel like our only hope is if Nashville falls enough in the standings and we pair up with them. Otherwise we will be paired up with 1 of the 3 (LA, Vegas, Canucks) pacific coast teams. So yeah, I think we're looking at a lot of 8:30 puck drops unfortunately.

Unless, do they normally split the conferences up perfectly on the days? Where the Eastern Conference plays one day and Western Conference plays the next? If it's that cut and dry we'd be the 2nd furthest east team in Western Conference so we might get those early start times.
The Pilot
AG
Tksymm7 said:

Breaks my heart lol.
Move to the mountain time zone. I have a hard enough time staying up for the late games with a 2-month-old, I'd stand no chance living in the center or eastern time zones.
TV Casualty
AG
Mountain time zone is the best time zone.

Eastern time is a kick to the crotch every day.
FWAppraiser
AG
Legal Custodian said:

Tksymm7 said:

I feel like our only hope is if Nashville falls enough in the standings and we pair up with them. Otherwise we will be paired up with 1 of the 3 (LA, Vegas, Canucks) pacific coast teams. So yeah, I think we're looking at a lot of 8:30 puck drops unfortunately.

Unless, do they normally split the conferences up perfectly on the days? Where the Eastern Conference plays one day and Western Conference plays the next? If it's that cut and dry we'd be the 2nd furthest east team in Western Conference so we might get those early start times.

They don't normally split up by conference, but that's how the end of the regular season is laid out. If that's how they do it, hopefully they'll put Pacific division games in the late slot and us in the early ones. I hate the late starts.
dvldog
AG
Legal Custodian said:

Tksymm7 said:

No - last year they were 50/50 East/West each day (for the first round at least):

https://www.nhl.com/news/2023-stanley-cup-playoffs-first-round-schedule-343562642

Mon/Wed/Fri/Sun
East: BOS/FLA and CAR/NYI
West: DAL/MIN and EDM/LA

Tue/Thu/Sat/Mon
East: TOR/TB and NJ/NY
West: COL/SEA and VEG/WPG

East got all of the early starts and West got all of the late starts.

Stars schedule was (all times Eastern):
Monday, April 17 9:30 p.m. Minnesota at Dallas ESPN2, SN360, TVAS2
Wednesday, April 19 9:30 p.m. Minnesota at Dallas ESPN2, SN360, TVAS
Friday, April 21 9:30 p.m. Dallas at Minnesota TBS, SN1, TVAS
Sunday, April 23 6:30 p.m. Dallas at Minnesota TBS, SNE, SNO, SNP, TVAS

ETA: it didn't get any better for the second round, either.
Same setup: 50/50 East/West each day, East got all early starts and West got all late starts.
Roll the Bones
AG
Roll the Bones said:

Alright ladies and gents, it's that time of the season again! Stanley Cup playoffs are looming so let's get ready for another bracket challenge. Last season the champ was Aggie98inFL and now it's time to crown a new champion.

Once again I created a league for us - you can sign up at the link below. Entries can't be created until all of the teams are locked in but you can register for the league now.

TexAgs F10 Bracket Challege

Pwd is BTHOEVERY1

Again this season, whoever wins the bracket challenge will get a quarter coin keychain I made, inspired by the stars winter classic logo.

Gig'em Stars! BTHO everybody!

Just a friendly reminder to join the league if you'd like to demonstrate your hockey prognosticative powers to the rest of the forum. We should be able to enter our brackets starting tomorrow, after the matchups are all set.

Thanks

David
FWAppraiser
AG
So looks like the NHL is going to roll with the Eastern Conference over the weekend and then start the Western series Monday & Tuesday when the East is playing their game 2s. There's a rumor that Western Conference teams are complaining about the long layover and the league is considering starting some games Sunday. So it's still somewhat in flux. This seems set though:
First Page Last Page
Page 83 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.