Looking for baptist church in Downtown Houston

2,174 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by dermdoc
Ben Matlock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm looking to find a baptist church in/near Downtown Houston. I would prefer traditional worship (no rock concerts) and biblically conservative beliefs. I tried FBC- Downtown and was pretty disappointed in their satellite model. I'm willing to drive a little ways to find the right church home if there's not something in Downtown.
12Power
If willing to travel, why not just go to the main campus of FBC. 610 & I-10W. Some clients of mine were really involved in starting an urban satellite inner loop campus for Tallowood Baptist geared for young single professionals. I don't have specific details on it though. Good luck.
DrZ
AG
South Main Baptist
Traditional music
Old church. Younger congregation.
Considered a liberal Baptist church. Female deacons
I do not attend there. Got married there 40 years ago.
TXaggiesTX
AG
Second Baptist is definitely considered one of the more doctrinally conservative churches in town. However, it is a huge church (several thousand per service in an auditorium) and can feel kinda mega-churchy and it is 20-25 min from downtown.
94chem
A liberal southern baptist church? What sort of criteria are we using here?
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
DrZ
AG
I hear you. I didnt mean UMC liberal. I said they have female deacons which would move them to the left on that scale. Nothing terrible
Mack Brown on a Mobile
AG
Liberal compared to First and Second Baptist, but still lots of great things happening there.
c-jags
94chem said:

A liberal southern baptist church? What sort of criteria are we using here?
i know conservative baptist churches with female deacons.

not that weird/wrong, and i say that as an extremely Complementarian individual.

ETA: I go to a reformed Bible church and have been on and off as a deacon. I'd happily bring women deacons onboard in our current church.
CrackerJackAg
AG
Walking in on conversations like this always seems so odd. It's incredible how fractured and different the protestant churches are.

It's amazing that you guys accept, as routine, that the fracturing off and division of the church is ok.

I appreciate that I can walk into any Orthodox Church in the country and I know the beliefs, mission and doctrine of the Church. I know I can take Communion with laity I don't know and that we are of the same faith.

I'm not looking to start a fight, it honestly makes me sad.
one MEEN Ag
AG
You're a bit too glass half empty CrackerJack, formerly disillusioned-baptist is basically a small demographic at our orthodox church. You can spot them in any crowd. Complaining that nobody brought crunchy green beans to Pascha and slightly rudely telling the priest, "Where have you guys been for the last 100 years in america - why haven't I heard of you before? during catechesis classes.

OP is bemoaning one outcome of the reinvention of the bishop/priest/laity hierarchy that nearly ever baptist church has gone to in the last 20 years as they've made satellite campuses.

Next Sunday, he might even ask, 'Is this even communion?' when removing his foil covering over the wafer from the cup.

OP, you're welcome to come join the orthodox church I go to west houston. The people and conservative environment you're seeking are there.
c-jags
one MEEN Ag said:

You're a bit too glass half empty CrackerJack, formerly disillusioned-baptist is basically a small demographic at our orthodox church. You can spot them in any crowd. Complaining that nobody brought crunchy green beans to Pascha and slightly rudely telling the priest, "Where have you guys been for the last 100 years in america - why haven't I heard of you before? during catechesis classes.

OP is bemoaning one outcome of the reinvention of the bishop/priest/laity hierarchy that nearly ever baptist church has gone to in the last 20 years as they've made satellite campuses.

Next Sunday, he might even ask, 'Is this even communion?' when removing his foil covering over the wafer from the cup.

OP, you're welcome to come join the orthodox church I go to west houston. The people and conservative environment you're seeking are there.
as a dude that was in charge of coordinating and handing out communion to 2000 people once a month for 6 years, i welcome the foil wafer cup.
fairrobh
AG
Ben Matlock said:

I'm looking to find a baptist church in/near Downtown Houston. I would prefer traditional worship (no rock concerts) and biblically conservative beliefs. I tried FBC- Downtown and was pretty disappointed in their satellite model. I'm willing to drive a little ways to find the right church home if there's not something in Downtown.

I believe the most compelling traditional worship service inside-the-loop is the 8:30 AM service at West University Baptist Church.
10andBOUNCE
AG
DrZ said:

I hear you. I didnt mean UMC liberal. I said they have female deacons which would move them to the left on that scale. Nothing terrible
If a church is going to blatantly violate the qualifications of a deacon set forth in Paul's letter to Timothy, I'd say that is a fairly big red flag.
Reload8098
AG
12Power said:

If willing to travel, why not just go to the main campus of FBC. 610 & I-10W. Some clients of mine were really involved in starting an urban satellite inner loop campus for Tallowood Baptist geared for young single professionals. I don't have specific details on it though. Good luck.

I was involved at this Church for years and loved it. Don't know anything about it now.
CrackerJackAg
AG
c-jags said:

one MEEN Ag said:

as a dude that was in charge of coordinating and handing out communion to 2000 people once a month for 6 years, i welcome the foil wafer cup.

They wasnt communion. Not in the way Christianity at large unanimously agreed for 1500 years and the minority of Christianity still doesn't.

I don't mind saying that because you don't see it that way either.
Cynic
I think the orthodox church in America exists to snub it's nose at protestant churches.
swimmerbabe11
https://www.trinitydt.org/
dermdoc
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

DrZ said:

If a church is going to blatantly violate the qualifications of a deacon set forth in Paul's letter to Timothy, I'd say that is a fairly big red flag.

Do you think Phoebe was a deacon?

Depending on the translation Roman 16:1 says Phoebe was a deacon or a servant of the church.

Since deacons are servants anyway, my thinking is that deacons can be make or female. But not really worth arguing over.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.