St Patrick's Cathedral hosts funeral for trans prostitute icon

7,242 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by PabloSerna
DeProfundis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Which turns out exactly as you expect. Explicit drag, feather boas, and of course, calling St Cecilia "the mother of all *****s"

You give them an inch and they'll take a while, this agenda seeks to turn every bit of goodwill and outreach into a platform to legitimize their lifestyle.

zoneag
Disgusting to allow that in such a beautiful house of worship. So much wrong with this I don't know where to begin. I'll pray for the Church tonight as we attend stations of the cross in our parish.
DeProfundis
zoneag said:

Disgusting to allow that in such a beautiful house of worship. So much wrong with this I don't know where to begin. I'll pray for the Church tonight as we attend stations of the cross in our parish.

We adore you o Christ and we praise you, for by your Holy Cross you have redeemed the world.
The Banned
Bob Lee
AG
Horrific. Was the blessed sacrament reposed the whole time at least?
PabloSerna
AG
In case you missed it, here is a translation of what the first person said in Spanish:

"Cecilia (Gentili), mother of all *****s. Now the time has come to say good bye. Give us strength and courage to continue your legend. To face the challenges. To stay firm in what we know- That we deserve love and equality, and the same right to a life of dignity."

From an NYT's article:

Later in the day, several people who attended a Mass at the cathedral said they were pleased it had hosted Ms. Gentili's funeral. Carlos Nunez, 43, who lives in Manhattan and works in customer service, said he thought the funeral was proper. "Why not?" he said, leaving the cathedral. "Everybody has the right to come to church. Everybody is a child of God."

Michael Minogue, 67, said he had reconsidered some of his own views after a friend died of AIDS in the 1980s. He said it struck him as benevolent on the part of the church and mourners alike that Ms. Gentili had her funeral in the cathedral. "It signifies a bit more tolerance on both sides," he said.

ETA: I'm pretty sure they were not mocking the martyr, Saint Cecilia (180-230 AD). Ms. Cecilia Gentili was referred to as "Mother" and "saintly" for her work with the LGBTQ community in New York.
zoneag
I only posted on this thread when it was started on forum 16. I usually just lurk here because the depth of knowledge on this board is humbling and I don't generally feel like I can add much to the discussion. However, I just can't see how to square this funeral being held in St. Patrick's with canon law.

Quote:

Can. 1184 1. Unless they gave some signs of repentance before death, the following must be deprived of ecclesiastical funerals:
1/ notorious apostates, heretics, and schismatics;
2/ those who chose the cremation of their bodies for reasons contrary to Christian faith;
3/ other manifest sinners who cannot be granted ecclesiastical funerals without public scandal of the faithful.
https://www.vatican.va/archive/cod-iuris-canonici/eng/documents/cic_lib4-cann1166-1190_en.html#:~:text=1%2F%20notorious%20apostates%2C%20heretics%2C,public%20scandal%20of%20the%20faithful.

This seems to bring great scandal to the church. Of course, "everybody has the right to come to church", but not everybody is entitled to sacraments, or Catholic funerals. Particularly "manifest sinners", as this poor soul seemed to be. As a still somewhat neophyte Catholic, I'll be interested to see the discussion on this. This point, from the diocese of Madison seems to be on the mark:

Quote:

Is the potential denial of funeral rites unjust discrimination?

Persons with same-sex attraction, as human persons, have the same rights as all persons, including the right of not being treated in a manner which offends their personal dignity. Nevertheless, these rights are not absolute, and may be legitimately limited for objectively disordered external conduct (unlike the categories of race or ethnicity which are not connected with possible objectively disordered external conduct). This limitation of rights for such external conduct is sometimes not only licit but obligatory. The Church determined over the course of many centuries, in its pastoral wisdom for the care of living souls, that unrepentant manifest sinners should be denied funeral rites if it is impossible to avoid public scandal.
I just don't see how this is not the work of evil in our Church.
PabloSerna
AG
"Who am I to judge?" - Pope Francis

+++

You will get plenty of reasons why someone should not merit a life with God in heaven. The strongest of these will no doubt be hurled by Satan (Hebrew for "accuser"). But stayed tuned, Lucifer may be out done yet!

Instead, I will tell you why you should rejoice for someone who was dead and is now alive with God. That funeral mass is no joke. You can read about the Prodigal Son (Lk 15:11-32) and see for yourself what God was thinking when Cecilia walked through those pearly gates. "Bring quickly the best robe, and put it on him, and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet. And bring the fattened calf and kill it, and let us eat and celebrate."

Make no mistake, God is merciful.

ETA: No doubt some will say, but the son was remorse- to that I say, aren't we all when we stand in the light of truth?
The Banned
PabloSerna said:

"Who am I to judge?" - Pope Francis

+++

You will get plenty of reasons why someone should not merit a life with God in heaven. The strongest of these will no doubt be hurled by Satan (Hebrew for "accuser"). But stayed tuned, Lucifer may be out done yet!

Instead, I will tell you why you should rejoice for someone who was dead and is now alive with God. That funeral mass is no joke. You can read about the Prodigal Son (Lk 15:11-32) and see for yourself what God was thinking when Cecilia walked through those pearly gates. "Bring quickly the best robe, and put it on him, and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet. And bring the fattened calf and kill it, and let us eat and celebrate."

Make no mistake, God is merciful.

ETA: No doubt some will say, but the son was remorse- to that I say, aren't we all when we stand in the light of truth?

So just flat out universalism? You do this every time Pablo. Always some way that thousands of years of church teaching have been wrong and we're just now figuring it out even though the church has an official teaching that it can't be wrong if matters of faith and morals. This is a travesty and you're dressing it up as a positive. This only proves what the previous poster was saying: the church is hosting a public scandal, signifying to the public that grave sin isn't that big of a deal anymore.
PabloSerna
AG
Do you think this person is in hell then?

ETA: Canon Law does not equal dogma.
ETA 2: I'm not making a case for universalism. There is mercy and there is purgatory. You know this.
The Banned
PabloSerna said:

I don't even know if I'm making it to heaven. Neither do you. This person should be receiving as much prayer as physically possible because all signs indicate that he is hell bound. I'm not God. I don't make those choices. But based on Church teaching there should be lots of mourning and prayers for this person, and most certainly not the mindset you are putting forward.
PabloSerna
AG
Everything I have written is in line with Catholic teaching. You know that.

ETA: You don't go to purgatory and go to hell- its heaven. Just a matter of time.
The Banned
Stop. An avowed atheist, transgender prostitute being referred to in their funeral as the mother of all *****s? Play the odds? I will never say someone is definitely in hell but I dang sure won't take the track your on. It is the definition of scandal. Acting as if someone who engaged in grave sin their entire life is skipping into heaven is a great way to give others excuses not to get rid of their own sin.

"Sure, he was an avowed racist that went to his death unrepentant. I'm sure he's smiling up in heaven right now".

"Sure, she spent her life aborting babies but I'm sure she's resting peacefully with God at this moment"

"Sure, he was a serial philanderer and died in bed with his mistress, but he's finally at peace with God now".

This is the level of sin this person had in their life. They need prayer, not celebration.
Bob Lee
AG
That should not have happened. If it was a mass, then it was a mockery and desecration of the sacrifice. Absolutely demonic, and whatever Bishop or Pastor who allowed it should be relieved immediately.
DeProfundis
PabloSerna said:

ETA 2: I'm not making a case for universalism. There is mercy and there is purgatory. You know this.

How is this even a question? Of course I think this person is in hell, any sane Catholic should hope and pray that rhey are not, but if you're asking for which side I'd put my money on, I'd say that the atheist transsexual prostitute probably did not die in a state of grace.

Do you believe they died in a state of Grace?
RAB91
Bishop Strickland with a clear message on this one.

747Ag
AG
https://www.interviewmagazine.com/culture/cecilia-gentili-is-looking-for-god-in-her-new-one-woman-show
Quote:

I used to go with my grandmother to the Baptist church, and they didn't want me there. They made it very clear. I used to go to the Catholic church, too, and both were such traumatic experiences for me as a queer person. So I came to identify as an atheist, but I know that so many trans people have been able to find a relationship with faith in spaces that include them.

https://web.archive.org/web/20240216111109/https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/15/nyregion/cecilia-gentili-funeral-st-patricks-cathedral.html
Quote:

The pews of St. Patrick's Cathedral were packed on Thursday for an event with no likely precedent in Catholic history: the funeral of Cecilia Gentili, a transgender activist and actress, former sex worker and self-professed atheist whose memorial functioned as both a celebration of her life and an exuberant piece of political theater.

Quote:

Ceyenne Doroshow, who organized the funeral, said friends of Ms. Gentili who died on Feb. 6 at 52 had wanted the service to be at St. Patrick's because "it is an icon, just like her." But she added that she had not mentioned that Gentili was transgender when planning with the church. "I kind of kept it under wraps," she said.

Quote:

At one point, a friend of Gentili's took the lectern to pray for access to gender-affirming health care. At another, a mourner upstaged a priest singing "Ave Maria," changing the lyrics to "Ave Cecilia." She then danced through the aisles, red scarves twirling around her.

https://www.vatican.va/archive/cod-iuris-canonici/eng/documents/cic_lib4-cann1166-1190_en.html#TITLE_III.
Quote:

Can. 1184 1. Unless they gave some signs of repentance before death, the following must be deprived of ecclesiastical funerals:
1/ notorious apostates, heretics, and schismatics;
2/ those who chose the cremation of their bodies for reasons contrary to Christian faith;
3/ other manifest sinners who cannot be granted ecclesiastical funerals without public scandal of the faithful.

Political theater indeed. Such language. Such irreverence. No solemnity. The video excerpts scream humanity turned in on itself with no fear of the Lord. Kyrie Eleison.
jkag89
I have no problem with a funeral mass for Cecilia Gentili. I do have a huge problem that the mass itself was just a sideshow.
DeProfundis
jkag89 said:

I have no problem with a funeral mass for Cecilia Gentili. I do have a huge problem that the mass itself was just a sideshow.

Small private gravesite. Best I can do. Anything else they'll turn into a forum. Purchase mass intentions for a year for their soul, best thing you can do for them.
747Ag
AG
DeProfundis said:

jkag89 said:

Small private gravesite. Best I can do. Anything else they'll turn into a forum. Purchase mass intentions for a year for their soul, best thing you can do for them.
Similar thoughts... a private requiem, such that the soul is provided for without the scandalous distortions etc..
RAB91
I still think they priests should have stopped the service when it went south, but I can imagine something this happening had never crossed their mind before this happened.

craigernaught
AG
Can we leave F16 threads where they belong?
Jabin
craigernaught said:

Can we leave F16 threads where they belong?
That's a bizarre comment.
craigernaught
AG
What?

It was moved here from the other forum. Keep the outrage posts over there. Discuss the religious issues here. Geez.
DeProfundis
craigernaught said:

What?

It was moved here from the other forum. Keep the outrage posts over there. Discuss the religious issues here. Geez.

??? I started this thread on here
747Ag
AG
DeProfundis said:

craigernaught said:

What?

Indeed, this is a religious discussion. One of the corporal works of mercy was degraded with sacrilege by deceptive provocateurs.

https://archny.org/statement-of-the-very-rev-enrique-salvo-pastor-saint-patricks-cathedral/

Additionally, some might call this part of the culture war. Nay. Rather, it's good vs evil.

https://europeanconservative.com/articles/essay/the-religion-of-antichrist/
BrazosDog02
AG
Instead of church people worrying about trans people in their church, perhaps the church and people should focus more on the commentary by the preacher about turnout on Easter?

Just a thought.
Klaus Schwab
PabloSerna said:

It's highly likely that he didn't undergo purification of his heart given that his lifestyle was purely carnal and really gay. He's probably getting a foretaste of hell as he awaits resurrection.
747Ag
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

Instead of church people worrying about trans people in their church, perhaps the church and people should focus more on the commentary by the preacher about turnout on Easter?

Just a thought.
Bruh... It's not their presence. It's what they did.
craigernaught
AG
DeProfundis said:

craigernaught said:

What?

But you see, the issue here is that I'm an idiot.
Bob Lee
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

Just a thought.

That IS the point fool. These demoniacs aren't packing the pews on Sundays. Why? They did this to mock our Lord. No other reason.
BrazosDog02
AG
Bob Lee said:

BrazosDog02 said:

Just a thought.

That IS the point fool. These demoniacs aren't packing the pews on Sundays. Why? They did this to mock our Lord. No other reason.

Fool? Come on, now. That's a little much, eh?

My entire comment is based on what I understand to be "they held a funeral in a Catholic church becuase they felt it was fine to do, and they intentionally left out anything negative that would cause the church to disallow it." If that is incorrect, then please correct me.

Bob Lee
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

Bob Lee said:

BrazosDog02 said:

Just a thought.

My entire comment is based on what I understand to be "they held a funeral in a Catholic church becuase they felt it was fine to do, and they intentionally left out anything negative that would cause the church to disallow it." If that is incorrect, then please correct me.

Implicit in any invitation is an expectation to dress and act in a way that's appropriate to the thing. Proper to the mass are things like solemnity, adoration, liturgy, eucharistic prayer, etc. The laity have a responsibility to participate in a certain way.

If you invited me to your wedding, I would bring a gift. I would wear a suit, and I wouldn't embarrass you by making an ass out of myself in front of your other guests.

Or if I rented a venue from you under a certain pretense, should I have the right to abuse the venue or use it in any way for a purpose other than the one you agreed to?

You don't have a right to organize a spectacle as a means to mock the sacrifice of the mass, for your own enjoyment. If you look up the details, it's clear this was intentional. By your own understanding they knew they wouldn't have been able to hold the funeral there if they were honest with the parish or diocese. Which means it was nefarious. But the deceit isn't the worst part. It's the way they behaved during the mass. And I grant you might be ignorant through no fault of yours, about why this is so disgusting. You'll have to take my word for it.

Changing the words to the prayer of the Ave Maria, and eulogizing a trans activist as a ***** and a saint, cheering, dancing in the nave, coming half dressed in the context of a liturgical rite. Those are crimes against God. And I shudder to think how many of those people consumed the Eucharist.
BluHorseShu
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

Bob Lee said:

BrazosDog02 said:

Just a thought.

I think when they approve a funeral in the Church they generally meet with the family and ascertain the persons faith. Anyone who is a professed atheist committing grave sin (meaning they knowingly live in a state that chooses their own satisfaction over what God wants without repentance ) then the Church should absolutely not allowed it be held there.

I'm basing all of this on the OP, so if new info comes out, I may be off base on what really went down. If it was a death bed repentance/confessional then it could happen.

Lots of folks in the bible lived abominable lives before turning away from sin and toward God.

But then the Church is also cautious about perception. So actions and statements that cause confusion and discord are to be avoided.

ETA: Just look into this more....This should have never taken place at St. Patricks or any Catholic Church. This was an abomination and mockery of the faith.
PabloSerna
AG
A few more thoughts after actually watching the funeral on YouTube:

1. This person impacted many people and in a very positive way. That would explain why so many attended.

2. At the beginning you can hear someone direct the presiding priest to say a "funeral service, followed by the rite of commendation." So this was not a mass as had initially been reported, however, it does not lessen the fact that this person's body was blessed and prayers said for them commending their soul to Christ. Very important to remember that point.

3. We need to separate the actions of a few, wasn't everyone, that took some liberty with the music, choice of words in a reflection, or just in general they way they choose to honor the deceased with their choice of attire. THIS is what the Archdiocese has considered sacrilege NOT the deceased.

4. The pastor for Saint Patrick's Cathedral, Very Rev. Enrique Salvo, has posted a statement on the website sympathizing with many who were outraged by the "scandalous behavior at a funeral" without naming any individuals. Clearly this is directed at those alive and not the deceased. He further goes on to say that, "At the Cardinal's directive, we have offered an appropriate Mass of Reparation." So, no more need to fear that the devil has spiked the ball in "America's Parish Church."

My opinion remains the same. What a wonderful gift Cecilia Gentili received from God. No one knows the state of anyone's soul at any point in time. How many would have guessed the thief on the cross would be with Christ that day in paradise?

From the Rite of Catholic Funerals, Prayer of Commendation:

Priest:

To you, O Lord, we commend the soul of N.N your servant;
In the sight of this world HE/SHE is now dead;
In your sight may HE/SHE live for ever.
Forgive whatever sins HE/SHE committed through human weakness
And in your goodness grant HIM/HER everlasting peace.
We ask this through Christ our Lord.

R: Amen.

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.