St Patrick's Cathedral hosts funeral for trans prostitute icon

7,241 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by PabloSerna
DeProfundis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PabloSerna said:

I am consistently surprised by the hardness of heart some have towards people on the margins. I guess I shouldn't because Jesus preached that many will say they know him, but will not lift a finger towards their brother or sister that is suffering.

Here we have a person that admitted at one time to be an atheist, primarily because they felt rejected, not on some philosophical ground. Then towards the end of their life, according to an interview late last year, they wanted to revisit God. We don't know more than that, but it would seem that something was stirring in their heart.

While some of the attendees were acting irreverent, one would have to assume they knew better, others attested to the positive impact this person had on their lives. Yet, all we hear about is the outrage and scandal because this work of mercy, a Catholic funeral, took place in the house of God for a person that was trans.

I know that God works in mysterious ways and that he chooses the weak to show us his glory- but this takes the cake!

You can be a Catholic and have racist thoughts as well, after all that's how God made you and you can't help the way you feel. Would you be okay with a former Klan member being buried, and his buddies and family showing up at St Patrick's cursing the church and singing racist songs?

I'm betting you don't care about THOSE marginalized do you? Possibly because they're marginalized for good reason?
jkag89
Quote:

I'm betting you don't care about THOSE marginalized do you?
Nope, He once started a thread wringing his hands about a Nazi flagged being draped over a coffin after the funeral mass, outside the church as part of the processional to the grave. I can't remember where this happened but it was not in the US. He also blamed it upon Traditionalist Catholics.
747Ag
AG
jkag89 said:

Quote:

I'm betting you don't care about THOSE marginalized do you?
Nope, He once started a thread wringing his hands about a Nazi flagged being draped over a coffin after the funeral mass, outside the church as part of the processional to the grave. I can't remember where this happened but it was not in the US. He also blamed it upon Traditionalist Catholics.
I mean, the FBI and its sources in that Richmond document aren't the best sources of information for who tradcaths are and what they believe.
PabloSerna
AG
You lost me, restate your question.
PabloSerna
AG
There is no such thing as Traditional Catholics. There is a Traditional Latin Mass. Maybe you are trying to divide us? Who does that?? Oh wait :-)
747Ag
AG
PabloSerna said:

There is no such thing as Traditional Catholics. There is a Traditional Latin Mass. Maybe you are trying to divide us? Who does that?? Oh wait :-)

Oh please. Stahp.
Reload8098
AG
PabloSerna said:

Do you think this person is in hell then?

ETA: Canon Law does not equal dogma.
ETA 2: I'm not making a case for universalism. There is mercy and there is purgatory. You know this.
Pretty simple. Recognize the Christ as your lord and savior. Ask him to come into your heart and begin living anew. Just saying won't cut it. It has to be from the heart combined with a repentent spirit. You are assured a place in heaven. Anything short of that and your headed to purgatory.
aggietony2010
AG
zoneag said:

I only posted on this thread when it was started on forum 16. I usually just lurk here because the depth of knowledge on this board is humbling and I don't generally feel like I can add much to the discussion. However, I just can't see how to square this funeral being held in St. Patrick's with canon law.

Quote:

Can. 1184 1. Unless they gave some signs of repentance before death, the following must be deprived of ecclesiastical funerals:
1/ notorious apostates, heretics, and schismatics;
2/ those who chose the cremation of their bodies for reasons contrary to Christian faith;
3/ other manifest sinners who cannot be granted ecclesiastical funerals without public scandal of the faithful.
https://www.vatican.va/archive/cod-iuris-canonici/eng/documents/cic_lib4-cann1166-1190_en.html#:~:text=1%2F%20notorious%20apostates%2C%20heretics%2C,public%20scandal%20of%20the%20faithful.

This seems to bring great scandal to the church. Of course, "everybody has the right to come to church", but not everybody is entitled to sacraments, or Catholic funerals. Particularly "manifest sinners", as this poor soul seemed to be. As a still somewhat neophyte Catholic, I'll be interested to see the discussion on this. This point, from the diocese of Madison seems to be on the mark:

Quote:

Is the potential denial of funeral rites unjust discrimination?

Persons with same-sex attraction, as human persons, have the same rights as all persons, including the right of not being treated in a manner which offends their personal dignity. Nevertheless, these rights are not absolute, and may be legitimately limited for objectively disordered external conduct (unlike the categories of race or ethnicity which are not connected with possible objectively disordered external conduct). This limitation of rights for such external conduct is sometimes not only licit but obligatory. The Church determined over the course of many centuries, in its pastoral wisdom for the care of living souls, that unrepentant manifest sinners should be denied funeral rites if it is impossible to avoid public scandal.
I just don't see how this is not the work of evil in our Church.
There's some great discussion on these canons in The Pillar Podcast this week.

Pillar Podcast Ep 152 - Somebody Sometimes Has to Say No

To summarize (in case you don't want to listen, but I'd recommend it. It's a pretty entertaining podcast that gets into the weeds of this and other newsworthy Catholic topics):

Though you're more focused on section 3 of the above (manifest sinners and grave scandal), the hosts assert that section 1 may be more relevant, as Gentili was a notorious (publicly known) apostate (as a professed atheist). At the same time, the "some signs of repentance", should be interpreted as generously as possible.

If section 1 doesn't apply, then 3 may apply. We should also look at the following section (If any doubt occurs, the local ordinary is to be consulted, and his judgment must be followed.)

What's clear is that someone dropped the ball on this one. The motivations of those who requested the funeral were it being a comfort to the family/friends. That is not a justification for a ecclesiastical funeral. The rector should have asked those requesting something like, "Hey, this person wasn't a parishoner, were they a practicing Catholic? Did they show signs of repentance at the end?" If so, then a funeral is fine, but at that point, the rector probably should have consulted Cardinal Dolan (or the other ordinary, like the Vicar General or territorial vicar) and done a little more research. If Gentili did show a sign of repentance (this is where "who am I to judge?" actually makes sense, unlike the abuse of the phrase we've seen earlier in this thread), then it would have been prudent to suggest another venue (less public) to avoid the scandal that this caused.

***End of summary, from here it's more my general thoughts, and no longer directed towards you and your post***

None of the above excuses the behavior and blasphemy that we saw. Sure, the cathedral was filled for a funeral, but great sacrilege also occurred. The cathedral was filled with people who Gentili "positively impacted". Can we define "positively impacted"? Is encouraging one to sin, fornicating/sodomizing another a positive impact? Is someone showing up in a church and blaspheming God, committing sacrilege in a sanctuary, or profaning a song to the blessed Mother a "positive impact?"

Yes burying the dead is a corporal work of mercy. It is good to do this, including for those who aren't canonically permitted an ecclesiastical funeral. Is this the only work of mercy? Were the ignorant at the funeral instructed? Were the sinners (especially the blasphemers) admonished? Were those doubtful of the faith given good counsel, or did they walk away reassured of their agnosticism/atheism and sinful lifestyles? Was the sorrowful family comforted, or were they scandalized by the behavior?

PabloSerna
AG
Will be interesting to see if/when President Biden passes away how those funeral arrangements are handled.
chimpanzee

Meanwhile, down in The Village...

Someone really needs to run the traps on who's booking space on Diocesan property and say "no" faster.
jrico2727
AG
chimpanzee said:

Someone really needs to run the traps on who's booking space on Diocesan property and say "no" faster.

Must be from the Cardinal Fernandez theology of the body
Lord have Mercy on us
chimpanzee
It's an interesting dynamic playing out. The consensus of the western world at large, particularly in places like NYC is that the Roman Catholic Church should be ashamed of its official position on sexuality. Outfits like the group that tried to book a room or theater to run their perversion seminars probably take great pride in getting their reservation yanked by the diocese.

But there's the rub, right? We've lost the plot on what pride really is and why perversion is a bad thing.
PabloSerna
AG
jrico2727 said:

chimpanzee said:

Must be from the Cardinal Fernandez theology of the body
Lord have Mercy on us

Couldn't resist could you?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.