Is Russia More Christian Than The USA

1,826 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by CrackerJackAg
NowhereMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I read this article in the London Times the documentary comes out this week in ITVX.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/russia-ukraine-war-soldier-uk-insider-9wbs2kf8q

The soldiers celebrating Orthodox Easter.
Sapper Redux
It says nothing good about Christianity if that's what you consider "more Christian."
Rocag
AG
Not if you go by church attendance statistics. In America, about 30% of people say they attend church every week or almost every week. In Russia that number is less than 10%.

I guess the question is what do you think a fair way of determining the answer to that question is?
ramblin_ag02
AG
The US is about 60% Christian by self identification. Russian numbers vary from 40-70% depending on the poll. So it's roughly the same ballpark.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PabloSerna
AG
Doesn't the Bible say they will know you are Christian by the love we have for others?
BluHorseShu
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

The US is about 60% Christian by self identification. Russian numbers vary from 40-70% depending on the poll. So it's roughly the same ballpark.
Correct. Although in Russia, if the government feels the religious communities are not also falling in line with the party line, they could shut it down pretty quickly. The USSR was notorious for it. And there are still many reports of the Russian government investigating and detaining church members. Apparently JW's are persona non grata there, but I'm not sure I would classify them as Christian due to their anti trinitarian beliefs.
ramblin_ag02
AG
PabloSerna said:

Doesn't the Bible say they will know you are Christian by the love we have for others?
Absolutely, but I'd be careful trying to paint with a broad brush. The Russian government is nothing to be proud of, from a Christian perspective, but I honestly can't think of a wonderful contemporary Christian government. I'm sure Russia is full of faithful and pious Christians. Whether they are more numerous or a higher percentage than the US is anyone's guess
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Jabin
PabloSerna said:

It was Christ himself who said something like that in John 13:34-35. His exact words were:

"34 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. 35By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another."

I'm not sure that "one another" is precisely the same as "for others". "One another" may be limited to Christ's followers, not the world generally. Of course, I don't know for sure but it's important to be careful not to paraphrase Christ's words to achieve the meaning we want.
DirtDiver
Is Russia more Christian than the US?

I'm probably over analyzing here but...

• When it comes to Christianity, countries are not "Christian", individuals are. This can be confusing as people may identify as being born Muslim, but a person is not born a Christian.
  • A better way to phrase the question is, are their more Christians in Russia than the US? Very hard to quantify and see the indwelling Holy Spirit within a person. Many claim to be Christians and go to church and are trusting in their own behavior vs Jesus for eternal life.
  • 34 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35 By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Note: The word here is disciples and not Christians or believers or saved one's. All Christians should be disciples and pursue their love of Jesus with all of their heart, soul, mind, and strength, but we are a messed up group of sinners and many do not pursue discipleship.
CrackerJackAg
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

PabloSerna said:

Absolutely, but I'd be careful trying to paint with a broad brush. The Russian government is nothing to be proud of, from a Christian perspective, but I honestly can't think of a wonderful contemporary Christian government. I'm sure Russia is full of faithful and pious Christians. Whether they are more numerous or a higher percentage than the US is anyone's guess

The United State Government is FAAAAARRR from something to be proud of from a Christian standpoint.

https://www.state.gov/reports/2020-report-on-international-religious-freedom/russia/#:~:text=The%20U.S.%20government%20estimates%20the,reported%20having%20no%20religious%20faith.

63% Christian and 26% No Faith

Almost identical to US

https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/2022/09/13/how-u-s-religious-composition-has-changed-in-recent-decades/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.