Re-integrating the sacred into our daily vernacular

1,062 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by DeProfundis
DeProfundis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have been spending a lot of time in the Middle East lately, and one thing I love about Arabic is how often "Allah" or references to God are used in every day conversation. Mashallah, Bismillah, Inshallah, alhamdulilah, all used very frequently in conversation, and all meaning some form of "God willing, or Thank God, or God be praised, or In God's name" obviously they're not impervious to using the phrases colloquially without focusing on the sacred invocations, but still I like how prevalent it is.

English is not so different, but we've shortened and removed the actual "God" from much of our conversational language. God be with you becomes "Goodbye", "Thank God" becomes "thank Goodness", "Oh my God have Mercy on us" becomes "OMG", sometimes even "OM*G" which is even worse; and very few people use the phrase "God willing" anymore.

I think it would be great as Catholics to start reintegrating praise, thanks and prayers to God as part of our daily language. I don't know about you but I would much rather be told "Go with God" or "God be with you" than "Goodbye". Obviously we need to make sure that we are offering them as a prayer and they don't become an occasion for taking the lord's name in vain, but I think that very focus would get us more centered on increasing our prayer and depending on God during our days.

Just my two cents
DeProfundis
Also, you have a lot of time to pray on the 17.5 hour flight back home
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Ha. Lol . Jokes on you. They went the long way. Shoulda just skipped over Africa due west, a short jaunt over the pond and bam, 'Merica.

/sarcasm/
Flst earth joke
DeProfundis
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

Ha. Lol . Jokes on you. They went the long way. Shoulda just skipped over Africa due west, a short jaunt over the pond and bam, 'Merica.

/sarcasm/
Flst earth joke

They have to fly over the poles so the radiation pacifies the nanobots in our blood.
ChaplainMCH
AG
I like this!
It is difficult to write as if I was in your presence. However, it is a necessary skill. Communication should be full of smiles, respect, and a desire to relate. If you cannot relate to me, and I to you, there is little chance of us positively influencing each other.
dermdoc
AG
ChaplainMCH said:

I like this!
Agree. I make an effort to say God bless you, etc. or even a "Isn't this a great day the Lord has made" to strangers when our eyes meet. Amazing the positive responses.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
I think that could be dangerously close to taking His name in vain.
People of integrity expect to be believed, when they're not, they let time prove them right.
DeProfundis
Dad-O-Lot said:

I think that could be dangerously close to taking His name in vain.
I would think it very hard to do so if it was done with prayerful intention. I tell my family "God Bless You" all the time, and not just when they sneeze, I normally follow it with the sign of the cross on their forehead, and I literally mean "I pray that God Blesses You"

I would imagine it would be done the same way, if you're just using it to give weight to an exclamation, absolutely it's taking his name in vain, but if you're using it to invoke his blessing, give him praise, or as a prayer request, it is completely different.

View it like wearing a rosary around the neck, I know some very holy people who wear the rosary as a necklace to remind them to pray it often, and to remind them that they are Catholic at all times, at work, at home and at play. I've also seen some people wearing a garish gold studded rosary as a way to show off their wealth.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.