Russia/Ukraine from Another Perspective

321,332 Views | 7677 Replies | Last: 16 hrs ago by Tanker123
Teslag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Where did I claim there wasn't any?
Ag with kids
AG
Build It said:

I didn't say that. But to suggest there aren't many ethic Russians that have lived generations in the East and Crimea who don't identify as Ukrainian is simply wrong.
There's always the Russification that the Russians have been forcing on the people that live in those areas, too...
Build It
AG
I promise I received many A's in English. However I mistyped and said Ukrainian when I meant Russian. I edited it. I'll ban myself for a few hours
Tanker123
What is not talked about much is the national disaster millions of Ukrainians are experiencing. Ukraine is fighting two wars - Russia and national disaster. It is juggling a lot of glass balls.
Rongagin71
AG
Here is an Irish Star article that might qualify as somewhat "different".

https://www.irishstar.com/news/us-news/vladimir-putin-alarmed-after-ukrainian-32723766
YouBet
AG
Quote:

the conflict will freeze and we will have to negotiate with Putin," the publication quotes the words of an officer of the 5th assault brigade of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, which holds the defense in Chasovy Yar.
Someone needs to inform the Ukrainians that this reality happened months ago. It's just a matter of when the US and the EU decide to actually go to the table.
nortex97
AG
Different in an absurd way, sure. The Kerch bridge is held as some sort of propaganda target in some minds, but is militarily irrelevant with the rail line route for supplies existing separately now.

From a weapons perspective Russia's reach with thermobaric MLRS systems in urban areas is increasing, a more significant development than the (Already delivered) ATACM's the Ukrainians want to use to reach into Russian infrastructure;

The real question is what can Europe actually give the Ukrainians to keep them in the fight. Hungary certainly opposes the 5 year forever-war plan. The answer appears to be 'not much.'

Tanker123
One side is waging Total War. The other side is waging very Limited War.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
While true, that is mostly just a function of Russia being so much larger with well over 4x the population.
Tanker123
Ukraine needs aviation assets like attack helicopters, fighters, CAS, bombers. It can't fight the full spectrum of warfare without them. Therefore, they can't conduct maneuver warfare to breach Russian defensive lines and can't conduct movement to contact with large units.
fullback44
AG
Tanker123 said:

Ukraine needs aviation assets like attack helicopters, fighters, CAS, bombers. It can't fight the full spectrum of warfare without them.
But no one is going to give them their best aviation equipment .., if they get some planes It will be small quarries of F16s and other left over older used planes …. I don't see Ukraine lasting another year in the war .. their moral has to be headed in the wrong direction I would think ?
Tanker123
fullback44 said:

Tanker123 said:

Ukraine needs aviation assets like attack helicopters, fighters, CAS, bombers. It can't fight the full spectrum of warfare without them.
But no one is going to give them their best aviation equipment .., if they get some planes It will be small quarries of F16s and other left over older used planes …. I don't see Ukraine lasting another year in the war .. their moral has to be headed in the wrong direction I would think ?

Then they are relegated to fighting in linear formations which plays into the strength of the Russians. Without sufficient aviation, then I can't see Ukraine tipping the war in their favor. That is my gut feeling. I could be wrong, but nothing transpiring now gives me confidence Ukraine can execute manuever warfare with large units because it can't breach or bypass Russian forces. It will be attrition warfare.
nortex97
AG
Ukraine lacks the bodies more than anything. I am tired of posting the 'recruiting' videos from twitter but there are a lot of them.

It's been a cesspool of a country for a long time. That Soros and the Biden familia have been profiteers off Ukraine for 10+ years is just one more reason not to support sending another dime.

We don't have…the things they would need in any case. And the Russians are…not running out of people or materiel.

(Above is a long tweet, worth the click.)

Forever war, comrades!
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
I think these two tweets great insight into the Russian mind. Specifically, they have this idea that their fight in Ukraine is a fight for the survival of their people. They really, honestly, fully believe that.

notex
AG
Not a big fan of that speech and I have no idea where those guys were, but I would like to think it was some sort of "St. Crispin's day" theory of motivational speeches yet probably high on bravado. Weird deal to release that though if many of them did subsequently die. Supposedly, young soldiers in WW1 etc. would often urinate on themselves etc. before being ordered out of the trenches. Horrible stuff to think about ground hand to hand combat etc. like that.

The Russians clearly have a substantial part of their population that see the war as justified and right. I don't care about Ukraine one iota and don't think we should be prolonging the slaughter for a party that has no chance to win.
Tanker123
nortex97 said:

Ukraine lacks the bodies more than anything. I am tired of posting the 'recruiting' videos from twitter but there are a lot of them.

It's been a cesspool of a country for a long time. That Soros and the Biden familia have been profiteers off Ukraine for 10+ years is just one more reason not to support sending another dime.

We don't have…the things they would need in any case. And the Russians are…not running out of people or materiel.

(Above is a long tweet, worth the click.)

Forever war, comrades!
No. Nations with smaller militaries have won wars. The number of service member is part of the equation. Tactics, weapons, and weapons systems are integral to warfare as well. Ukraine needs weapons systems that shape the conditions necessary to breach or bypass Russian defenses and conduct large unit movement to contacts. They are incapable of Combined Arms Warfare. If the US enters the war, it will use fighters, CAS, bombers, and attack helicopters. To do otherwise would be patently stupid.
First Page Refresh
Page 220 of 220

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.