Outdoors
Sponsored by

Name that insect (bite)

5,978 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by Gunny456
MaxPower
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What the heck is doing this to my finger? Don't remember being bitten. Started itching Friday night so thought it was an ant bite. Then Saturday it starting developing a growing blister.

HumbleAg04
AG
Recluse or Widow is my guess. Beginning of necrosis. Should probably get that seen.
Capt. Augustus McCrae
AG
That's AIDS.

You're probably gonna die
87Flyfisher
AG
Possibly a Brown Recluse bite. Black Widows have a neurotoxic venom and don't cause necrosis.

With over 40 years of being the "I know a bug guy" all but a couple of "spider bites" I have seen have been either Staph infections or Shingles. Whether it is an infection or a Recluse bite, it can turn really bad fast, don't mess around and get it looked at by a Dr. quickly.
Matsui
AG
Get to doctor tomorrow am
Rexter
Looks like a recluse bite. Seems to be a faint red ring from the knuckle to the hand. I got tagged on the inner thigh and it looked just like that. Left a hole for about 6 months.
MaxPower
Can a doctor actually do anything besides tell me what likely bit me? I thought anti venom has to be done within 24 hours to have much effect.
87Flyfisher
AG
If it is Recluse bite, a secondary infection is a big issue. Usually a Dr. has to clean up the dead and dying tissue from the wound. Treatment with antibiotics is pretty standard.
Deerdude
I had an Assassin bug sting me once and looked similar after a couple days.
Trigger06
AG
I am not a doctor, but I think that could be staph infection instead of a bite/sing. I'd get it checked out.
VStarr2024
AG
ER Nurse next to me says that it doesn't look like staph, but does look like a spider bite. Doesn't think an ER visit is necessary, potentially urgent care to get it checked out by a doc if you want. Says they likely will not give antibiotics unless it starts feeling hot to the touch, redness starts spreading, or starts leaking pus.
Gunny456
AG
I worked for Eco -Labs during summer while attending TAMU. I got a staff infection like that from a hospital I called on. Looked just like that. Went to ER doctor and he misdiagnosed it as a spider bite.
He squeezed around on it and the next day my entire hand was swollen. Went to my family doc and he did a core type of sample on it. It came back as staphylococcus-aureus. He put me on strong antibiotics.
He really scolded the ER doctor for the misdiagnosis.
He said the key is if it starts in a hair follicle….it's usually staff……. He said in actuality spider bites are rare but staff like this used to be called "boils" in the old days and quite common.
Get it cultured and be safe is what he stressed if I ever got one again.
Shoefly!
AG
What Gunny says, get it cultured. I got a boil on my right cheek and they ended up doing emergency surgery to cut out a big chunk of my right rump. Son of a gun was painful. I was out of work for 2 weeks and on strong antibiotics plus 60 days of physical therapy.
rather be fishing
AG
I've always heard if you don't remember being bitten, it's likely staph.

Had one similar on the back of my leg several years ago. Took several weeks for it to clear up.
B-1 83
AG
Deerdude said:

Yeah, but I guarantee you knew it when it happened. I hear that hurts big time.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Deerdude
B-1 83 said:

Deerdude said:

Yeah, but I guarantee you knew it when it happened. I hear that hurts big time.

For sure. Thought someone shot my leg off. Very painful for several hours. Beat the heck out of big south Texas Yellowjackets or Red Wasps. Yea pretty much if it stings in Texas, they've already found me.
malenurse
AG
VStarr2024 said:

ER Nurse next to me says that it doesn't look like staph, but does look like a spider bite. Doesn't think an ER visit is necessary, potentially urgent care to get it checked out by a doc if you want. Says they likely will not give antibiotics unless it starts feeling hot to the touch, redness starts spreading, or starts leaking pus.
I am an ER Nurse and, although I agree it doesn't "look" like staph, that's not enough to rule staph out. I agree it's not worth an ER visit, I would see a Dr and get it cultured and start prophylactic antibiotics.

I am leaning towards a recluse bite. If so I would get a referral to plastics. You might end up needing one.
nealan
We need an update on how this things looking today
Mark Fairchild
AG
My brother-in-law almost died with a brown recluse bite. Don't mess around, go see a doctor NOW! Oh, and his wound had to have plastic surgery.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
ChoppinDs40
AG
I got staph on my ball fro junior year of college, right above my troll nose.

Went to Beutel thinking I had some real bad STI. Dark lonely place, especially since I had recently fornicated with a hot, yet ****ty girl.

When I showed him, he goes "been with any strange women lately?" then paused and chuckles. He said it looked like staph. Took a culture and tested immediately. Got some antibiotics. I had a pretty good "wound" there for some time.

It was starting to ooze... like a flesh eating virus. I thought it was just an ingrown hair at first but then started to be warm to the touch. Glad I got to it when I did.
AgsMyDude
AG
OPs finger is gone by now
zag213004
AG
Following
GeorgiAg
AG
GeorgiAg
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

I got staph on my ball fro junior year of college, right above my troll nose.

Went to Beutel thinking I had some real bad STI. Dark lonely place, especially since I had recently fornicated with a hot, yet ****ty girl.

When I showed him, he goes "been with any strange women lately?" then paused and chuckles. He said it looked like staph. Took a culture and tested immediately. Got some antibiotics. I had a pretty good "wound" there for some time.

It was starting to ooze... like a flesh eating virus. I thought it was just an ingrown hair at first but then started to be warm to the touch. Glad I got to it when I did.
Similar story. After my 16 year marriage broke apart, I was fornicating with a hottie ****ty cray cray divorcee chick and got a spot on my peepee. WebMD searches had me convinced it was the herps. Turned out to just be and infection and not any kind of STD.

I know about that dark place. I had to go to my extended family Thanksgiving in a pretty foul mood thinking I had just ruined my life.

But definitely get it checked out.
Jetty
AG
Daughter got bitten by brown recluse on her outer thigh years ago. Looked like that then started oozing puss. Dr. cleaned it all up. Put her on big antibiotics….still oozed for days and was a hole for a long time. 10 plus years later it's a scar.
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
Troll nose.
MaxPower
Not getting any wider. Clear delineation between normal skin and red skin. Blister in the middle is mostly gone.
nealan
Glad to see it's not spreading !
agcrock2005
AG
I love stubborness. I'd do the same thing.
Gunny456
AG
Staph is contagious. If it's staph and the pus opens up you can spread to your kids or wife. My BIL had a boil or staph infection. It opened up during the night and some of the pus was on their sheets. His wife then ended up with one.
His doc. told him that it can live on surfaces for a period of time and get picked up again.
I have know idea if that's true or not but I've herd staph is bad mo fo.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Your wife, assuming you're married, must not be a fan of Dr Pimple Popper. That thing wouldn't last a minute around my wife or oldest daughter… they'd be coming after you with Chloroform, a sterilized needle, and some latex gloves.

On a serious note, not sure what that is, but I have had staph a few times including MRSA in college. That was no joke and I kept getting it and was really close to going on IV antibiotic for it. Pretty sure I took a shower in Bactrin at one point.

Good luck!
RMD10
It's rarely ever a spider bite but yours just might be the exception. If it is your skin may start dying in that area and need debridement (ie surgery to remove the dead skin) or it may heal up on its own with a small scar. It would be good to follow up with your family doc so he/she can keep an eye on It and refer to a surgeon if needed.
It doesn't really look like a staph infection/abscess/boil though you could try soaking with a warm rag to see if that helps. The second picture actually looks like it may be improving some though if you're a diabetic or have other medical problems antibiotics wouldn't be a bad idea. Superficial wound cultures are fairly unreliable so I don't think you'll be missing out if you don't get one. Keep us updated with pics
cupofjoe04
AG
Gunny456 said:

His doc told him that it can live on surfaces for a period of time and get picked up again.
I have know idea if that's true or not but I've herd staph is bad mo fo.
100% true. Staph is very contagious, and nothing to play around with. Put my Dad in the hospital several years ago, which is dang hard to do. That is one tough ole man. I've known a couple friends who have had it as well, and all have required some form of medical treatment.

That being said, I agree with posters above. This looks awful spidery. I've had 2 unidentified spider bites in the past, and one looked very much like that one. The other was worse.
fullback44
AG
I got staph from going up to MD Anderson when my dad was there, the nurses there tried to keep everyone washing hands etc but I somehow got one, under my arm of all places, must have got it on my fingers and I then scratched my under arm.. mom was an RN and noticed it immediately and I went to the local ER type clinic, they put me on strong antibiotics and had me keep it covered and cleaned … needless to say I did as the nurses instructed from then on and washed my hands all the time when I was up at MD … that thing got the size of a golf ball in no time, almost over night
Shoefly!
AG
My doctor marked the lines with an indelible pen to make sure no growth even minute.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.