BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2024)
219,112 Views | 1032 Replies
techno-ag
1:27p, 3/27/24
In reply to trouble
trouble said:

Apparently Murphy's Law has been seized by the state for failure to pay taxes.
Just like the Sock. Common theme I guess.
Dumbfounded
1:57p, 3/27/24
In reply to trouble
Any news on the Bavarian Brauhaus? Same owner?
BulldAg99
2:02p, 3/27/24
In reply to Dumbfounded
Dumbfounded said:

Any news on the Bavarian Brauhaus? Same owner?

That would suck, I love that place.
trouble
2:09p, 3/27/24
In reply to Dumbfounded
Haven't heard yet. I didn't know exactly how the business is structured
textar4404
2:56p, 3/27/24
Heard last night it was both.
JMac03
2:59p, 3/27/24
Per Rusty's FB post in the comments, its both.
ForteAg12
7:46p, 3/27/24
In reply to trouble
trouble said:

Man, anything that can happen, will happen.
TyHolden
8:33p, 3/27/24
In reply to trouble
trouble said:

Oh man that sucks. If anyone needs covid money, it's the bars. I'm sure there's billions sitting around somewhere. SAVE OUR BARS!!!
trouble
9:05p, 3/27/24
In reply to TyHolden
This was due to not paying sales and beverage taxes they collected. Over $162K worth of it. That'll get you every time.
TyHolden
9:39p, 3/27/24
In reply to trouble
trouble said:

This was due to not paying sales and beverage taxes they collected. Over $162K worth of it. That'll get you every time.
Save
Our
Bars

TyHolden
9:41p, 3/27/24
In reply to trouble
trouble said:

What was the name of the guy that owned the cajun steak place in Austin/RoundRock/Lakeway that committed suicide and killed his wife over taxes? That was my favorite steak in the world. Gumbos I think.

edit: It was Gumbos and Mama Roux....
EBrazosAg
9:54p, 3/27/24
The KBTX story says it's over $250k now - with last summer a lien over $ 17k in unpaid taxes. That's over $25 k a month in unpaid taxes to the state. No mention if federal taxes. That kind of escalation indicates a non viable business plan. Sad - yes. Reality- yes.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
trouble
10:13p, 3/27/24
In reply to TyHolden
Gumbo's and Mama roux weren't owned by the same people.

It was the Mama roux guy who killed his wife and himself. Pretty sure gumbo's only closed because the owners (who are alive and well) were ready to retire.
TyHolden
10:26p, 3/27/24
In reply to trouble
trouble said:

Gumbo's and Mama roux weren't owned by the same people.

It was the Mama roux guy who killed his wife and himself. Pretty sure gumbo's only closed because the owners (who are alive and well) were ready to retire.

https://www.diningoutwithrobbalon.com/austin-restaurant-community-mourns-passing-of-yoli-and-michael-amr/

Quote:

Stunning and devastating news from Round Rock this morning. Two of my favorite people in the Austin restaurant community, Yoli and Michael Amr, the founders of the original Gumbo's and current owners of Mama Roux on Parmer Lane were found dead in their Round Rock home. Early indications point to a murder suicide.

Maybe not. The founder of the original, which I'm guessing is the downtown location. The one downtown was great. It shared a space with a bar. The one in Lakeway sucked. Never went to the one in RR.
BiochemAg97
10:32p, 3/27/24
Gumbo's in Round Rock moved to Georgetown due to 620 construction (land was acquired). That was different owners than the other location(s). Been a while since I chatted with the Gumbo's North owner about that. It might have been different owners at each location.

Georgetown owners wanted to retire so that location is closed.
bushytailed
10:35p, 3/27/24
Mochinut has a soft opening today. Friend brought us some of the mochi doughnuts. I'm kind of meh on them. Didn't try the corn dogs though.
Captn_Ag05
9:17a, 3/28/24
I know this was talked about before, but this is what is going in the old FedEX location in Northgate (next to the Methodist church)

https://akisteakandsushi.com/
TyHolden
9:23a, 3/28/24
In reply to Captn_Ag05
Captn_Ag05 said:

I know this was talked about before, but this is what is going in the old FedEX location in Northgate (next to the Methodist church)

Another Atamiā€¦
Tailgate88
9:40a, 3/28/24
In reply to Captn_Ag05
Captn_Ag05 said:

Ten years ago I would never have thought the day would come when I would say this but... the sushi market is nearly oversaturated...
Captn_Ag05
9:56a, 3/28/24
They would be smart to be open late for the post bar crowd.
trouble
10:17a, 3/28/24
In reply to TyHolden
I liked the one in RR. I always thought the Gtown location was too crowded.
woodiewood
12:22p, 3/28/24
In reply to EBrazosAg
EBrazosAg said:

The KBTX story says it's over $250k now - with last summer a lien over $ 17k in unpaid taxes. That's over $25 k a month in unpaid taxes to the state. No mention if federal taxes. That kind of escalation indicates a non viable business plan. Said - yes. Reality- yes.
I I was a current or former employee, ASAP I would go to the Social Security web site and get an update of my account to see if they restaurant was paying both their share and your withholdings SS tax as well as the Medicare tax to the government.

I post this as years ago when my wife lost her job due to an equipment business going belly up, when I checked they had not been sending any money into SS. but they had been withholding it from her paycheck. She was just SOL on it for the two years.

If they haven't, and I have no clue either way, if I was an employee, I would file against them asap.
classicdoug
1:59p, 3/28/24
In reply to EBrazosAg
EBrazosAg said:

The KBTX story says it's over $250k now - with last summer a lien over $ 17k in unpaid taxes. That's over $25 k a month in unpaid taxes to the state. No mention if federal taxes. That kind of escalation indicates a non viable business plan. Sad - yes. Reality- yes.
I really liked the food at Bavarian Brauhaus. It was one of my go to places in downtown Bryan. I'm shocked that people think they can get away with not paying taxes and thinking they can just keep doing business that way.
TyHolden
5:05p, 3/28/24
In reply to classicdoug
classicdoug said:

EBrazosAg said:

I really liked the food at Bavarian Brauhaus. It was one of my go to places in downtown Bryan. I'm shocked that people think they can get away with not paying taxes and thinking they can just keep doing business that way.
I took a leak next to Gary Blair at Murphy's about a year ago. It's been the highlight of my BCS stay. Other than shaking Nuno's hand. Not after taking a leak of course.
trouble
10:39p, 3/28/24
Murphy's Law is back open. Apparently the owner paid what was owed in full today.

So clearly, he has the money. Why not pay it when it's due?
TyHolden
10:41p, 3/28/24
In reply to trouble
trouble said:

Murphy's Law is back open. Apparently the owner paid what was owed in full today.

So clearly, he has the money. Why not pay it when it's due?
Because the bookies get the money first....
EBrazosAg
10:47p, 3/28/24
In reply to TyHolden
True. The Feds never kneecap you. Bookies might.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TyHolden
10:52p, 3/28/24
In reply to EBrazosAg
EBrazosAg said:

True. The Feds never kneecap you. Bookies might.
woodiewood
7:34a, 3/31/24
I don't see the new convenince store on the corner of Holleman and Welsh being built. It appears to be a convenience store and two other tenant spaces.

That's a great location for an update from the small original one as there isn't a gas station within six or eight blocks and there's a lot of home and apartments.

Captn_Ag05
11:06a, 3/31/24
Massage Envy in tower point is closing, per Rusty.
PS3D
1:17p, 3/31/24
In reply to woodiewood
woodiewood said:

I don't see the new convenince store on the corner of Holleman and Welsh being built. It appears to be a convenience store and two other tenant spaces.

That's a great location for an update from the small original one as there isn't a gas station within six or eight blocks and there's a lot of home and apartments.

I've looked up and down for information about this gas station and can't find much on it.
MiMi
2:10p, 3/31/24
Taste of the Tropics in the Jones Crossing HEB opens Thursday, April 4 at 10am
TyHolden
9:10p, 4/1/24
techno-ag
9:16p, 4/1/24
In reply to TyHolden
TyHolden said:

April fools.
maroon barchetta
10:16p, 4/1/24