BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2024)
220,500 Views | 1040 Replies
honey_badger_99
2:00p, 4/9/24
In reply to treyyates
They have the same sign there as all the other locations, so I hope so!
halibut sinclair
2:08p, 4/9/24
In reply to Captn_Ag05
Captn_Ag05 said:

Roni's Mac Bar will open on Saturday, April 20 (4/20)
And close on 11/20.
bcstx06
3:07p, 4/9/24
In reply to Captn_Ag05
Captn_Ag05 said:

With Varsity Grill House (nearing completion) and the recently announced Bubbas and La-z-Boy, the bypass is starting to fill in.

That's not the same Varsity restaurant as the ones in the Atlanta area is it?
trouble
3:10p, 4/9/24
In reply to bcstx06
Does not appear to be
Tailgate88
3:12p, 4/9/24
In reply to bcstx06
No. New concept and this is the first location.

https://www.varsitygrillhouse.com/about-us
Visor
3:14p, 4/9/24
In reply to Tailgate88
OH dang - definitely thought it was related to the other varsity restaurants
MyNameIsJeff
3:27p, 4/9/24
In reply to Visor
Visor said:

I'm 99% sure the owners of Varsity also own Lone Star Grill in Brenham. I'd expect some overlap between the menus, but I guess we'll just wait and see.
Rex Racer
4:27p, 4/9/24
In reply to MyNameIsJeff
MyNameIsJeff said:

Visor said:

I'm 99% sure the owners of Varsity also own Lone Star Grill in Brenham. I'd expect some overlap between the menus, but I guess we'll just wait and see.
Ooooooh! I love Lone Star Grill!
phillytex24
11:13p, 4/9/24
In reply to drthoop
drthoop said:

I absolutely hate Dr. Google. And I'm just a veterinarian. Everyone is a medical expert now.

Have clients tell me that they've been researching their pet's symptoms and they think they have this or that and that I need to treat it a certain way. I tell them to go home and call Dr. Google and have them write the script.

Amazing how quick they change their tune. I just don't put up with that bull***** 8 years of college and 38 years of experience here. I have no problem saying I know more that their Google search engine.

I've had a doctor so wrapped up in pushing blood pressure meds that it took another doctor to actually diagnose me. It was exactly what I found related to my symptoms online. Not every doctor is as good as you are. Insurance companies are forcing doctors to push pharmaceuticals on folks, as treatment, or they won't pay.
PS3D
10:24a, 4/10/24
In reply to halibut sinclair
halibut sinclair said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Roni's Mac Bar will open on Saturday, April 20 (4/20)
And close on 11/20.
If it's anything like the Waco location it will do fine.
trouble
10:31a, 4/10/24
There's a new sign in the Chicken Oil parking lot (near the door) but I couldn't read it yesterday when I was headed to Pepe's. I'll try to go by today and see what it says.
techno-ag
11:18a, 4/10/24
In reply to techno-ag
techno-ag said:

Drove by the TXB location on William J. Bryan. It is coming along. Near the post office, across from the 7-11.
And another thing going up in that general area is a new building for Blinn. It's been a while since they built over there. Nash & Villa Maria.
MiMi
2:54p, 4/10/24
In reply to Tailgate88
Tailgate88 said:

No. New concept and this is the first location.

https://www.varsitygrillhouse.com/about-us

Scheduled to open on April 26
techno-ag
3:04p, 4/10/24
I guess I missed where A1 went out of business? Not that I'm paying much attention. Went by their place today at Sandy Point Rd and 21. Yard was empty. Sign on the building says Texas Towing.
halibut sinclair
3:09p, 4/10/24
In reply to techno-ag
techno-ag said:

techno-ag said:

Drove by the TXB location on William J. Bryan. It is coming along. Near the post office, across from the 7-11.
And another thing going up in that general area is a new building for Blinn. It's been a while since they built over there. Nash & Villa Maria.

Some apartments going in at Villa Maria and Red River that the home owners there are not too happy about.
AggiePhil
4:59p, 4/10/24
In reply to techno-ag
techno-ag said:

I guess I missed where A1 went out of business?
Happened around November 2023.
techno-ag
5:21p, 4/10/24
In reply to AggiePhil
AggiePhil said:

techno-ag said:

I guess I missed where A1 went out of business?
Happened around November 2023.
Thanks. Too bad. They went above and beyond many times.
PS3D
12:41p, 4/11/24
Carney's in Bryan is becoming "Carney's Cantina", apparently.
lockett93
1:11p, 4/11/24
In reply to PS3D
I saw they acquired the neighboring building…. I know they will have the existing Carney's and a more restaurant style place next door.
MyNameIsJeff
1:30p, 4/11/24
In reply to PS3D
PS3D said:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it....
FlyRod
3:01p, 4/11/24
This. Don't take the best beer bar in town and turn it into a mediocre Tex-Mex joint. We have more than enough of those.
australopithecus robustus
3:23p, 4/11/24
Best bar in town?? That being a stretch aside…

If it was performing well Barry wouldn't be changing it. Must need a rebrand/revamp.

MyNameIsJeff
3:43p, 4/11/24
Reading lockett's post above mine, maybe the neighboring property will be the Cantina, and the current property will remain as-is.
PS3D
4:05p, 4/11/24
In reply to lockett93
lockett93 said:

I saw they acquired the neighboring building…. I know they will have the existing Carney's and a more restaurant style place next door.

TDLR Tabs reads "Renovations to an existing facility for a Bar" but has the address of Carney's.
FlyRod
4:48p, 4/11/24
In reply to australopithecus robustus
australopithecus robustus said:

If it was performing well Barry wouldn't be changing it. Must need a rebrand/revamp.

Best BEER bar. And owners often do rebranding/revamping for very dumb reasons, ultimately to their dismay.

If it's just a matter of an addition, fine. If they gut the interior and replace the beer with adult juice boxes…not so fine.

Edit: ok saw PS3Ds clarification so maybe NBD.
phillytex24
5:34p, 4/11/24
In reply to australopithecus robustus
australopithecus robustus said:

It used to be Fitzwillies until the glam up. LOL
australopithecus robustus
5:54p, 4/11/24
In reply to phillytex24
lol
Marooned_n_Aggieland
9:43p, 4/12/24
In reply to techno-ag
techno-ag said:

I guess I missed where A1 went out of business? Not that I'm paying much attention. Went by their place today at Sandy Point Rd and 21. Yard was empty. Sign on the building says Texas Towing.
Spent too much time and money on TexAgs forums posting trying to convince college students and townies that towing your vehicle is really a good thing.
RIP A1 or whatever his new acct is. Note: Not the owner but an employee.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
9:49p, 4/12/24
In reply to MyNameIsJeff
MyNameIsJeff said:

PS3D said:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it....
You should have told that to Aaron Franklin when he had a "little BBQ trailer on the side of the road in 2009". Barry is expanding and making the place more enjoyable for more people. No harm in that. Guess what, if he greatly miscalculates, he will lose out. You won't.
Charpie
8:22a, 4/13/24
Smitty K's is going to be closed for a while. Fire damaged their place last night
PS3D
11:14a, 4/13/24
In reply to Charpie
Charpie said:

Smitty K's is going to be closed for a while. Fire damaged their place last night
Given that a Facebook post reported on WTAW phrases it as "the loss of our business due to a fire in the building" it sounds like they won't be reopening for a while--if ever. Meanwhile, Chicken Oil has passed year two with no renovations in sight.
techno-ag
1:43p, 4/13/24
In reply to PS3D
Yeah fires seem to wipe small independent places out. What was that restaurant going towards Snook back in the day? Mama's Place or some such. Maybe it was the Kountry Kitchen I'm thinking of. Anyway, one fire and that was it.
Dumbfounded
1:59p, 4/13/24
So many local small businesses are on the edge. Any out of norm adversity can put them under.
PS3D
2:04p, 4/13/24
In reply to techno-ag
The only debilitating restaurant fire I can remember is Olive Garden, and that place was totally trashed.
techno-ag
2:16p, 4/13/24
In reply to PS3D
PS3D said:

The only debilitating restaurant fire I can remember is Olive Garden, and that place was totally trashed.
Pretty sure it was Kountry Kitchen across from Easterwood Airport that burned down. OG as a chain had the $ to come back in their new location off the bypass.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 23 of 30
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings