Brazos County Commisioner races

40,161 Views | 252 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by Tailgate88
taxpreparer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I urge you to support Steve Aldrich for Precint 1, and Fred Brown for Precinct 3. These are the only two contested races this year. Steve is the incumbent and has proven he will stand against unnecessary tax increases. Fred's opponent is the incumbent and has never met a tax increase she would not support.
deh40
AG
100% agree.
doubledog
Is Fred's opponent the one the claims to be a Republican? (at least on her lawn signs)
taxpreparer
AG
Yes, all four candidates claim to be Republican.
Stupe
S
I'm voting against whoever voted no on widening Greens Prairie between Sweetwater and Creek Meadows.

They created a bottle neck on a road that needed to be widened from Arrington all the way to Wellborn.
BCS-Ag
Stupe said:

I'm voting against whoever voted no on widening Greens Prairie between Sweetwater and Creek Meadows.

They created a bottle neck on a road that needed to be widened from Arrington all the way to Wellborn.

Who was that?
MB19
AG
Stupe said:

Voted no or just dropped the damn ball?
Stupe
S
I think both. A buddy has made some calls recently and I'm waiting to see what he found out.
milner79
Asking because I don't know: was that a county decision?
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
Is Nancy Berry the opponent against Fred?
Mr.Short-termMemory
AG
Red Pear Luke (BCS) said:

Is Nancy Berry the opponent against Fred?

Correct
Stupe
S
At a hearing before the project started, the CS Land Agent said that section fell under the county. At that time there was a plan for widening that section and funding was being held up by the county.
I know at some point the county approved a plan but wanted wanted College Station to foot the bill for the design. I think they also wanted the city to pay for anything that was above the approved budget and ongoing maintenance.

A lot of the links that I went to are dead.

It's going to get fixed, but it could have all been done at once.

Aldrich and Berry were both on the court at that time.
Stupe
S
Bentley Nettles was doing door to door last fall collecting signatures to get on the ballot. I was home the evening he was in our neighborhood and asked him about the intersection.
He chuckled and said that intersection seemed to be important to a lot of people in Creek Meadows, Castlegate, and the neighborhoods on the other side of Welborn Road.

He also said that it was a priority to him because of how it affected traffic flow.

I and others have had an incumbent not return phone calls or emails about that project. Another person is going door to door and will talk about it.
UmustBKidding
I may not be the person you want to weigh in on this. When I bought my land on what was Greens Prarie Trail it was an unpaved cul-de-sac and not being a through street was part of the reason for purchase.
After COCS ruined my quiet neighborhood, I personally suggested to Aldrich that the county not repair/replace the washed out culvert at the edge of the sweetwater subdivision since it reduced the trough traffic noise on the now 70' five lane speedway in front of my house significantly. He indicated that was not going to happen. Over the years College Station annexed land that became Castlegate but did not annex the road, even though the majority of the residents entered via the county maintained Greens Prairie Road. The county ended up having to rebuild it to survive the additional traffic CG added. Fast forward 20 years and COCS annexed the Greens Prairie Reserve land in their continual pursuit of additional rooftops and the road came with it. They could have annexed the road area to the west but they did not. The reality is the only traffic that is in the county is the original sweetwater and woodlake traffic. The rest is just College Station through traffic. And the existing road is sufficient for non College Station residents areas use.
The county offer that I heard last was that the county would provide $4M towards design and implementation contingent that College Station would fund the rest, annex it into the city upon completion and would there be responsible for maintenance, improvements and liabilities from that point. I believe COCS said OK but after the budget had been drafted and adopted and told them it would have to be funded in a future budget.
I personally think it is a generous offer and if everyone on here that is upset that its not a complete super speedway from Wellborn to Arrington should press COCS to annex it and get to work. The county residents are likely not upset its only two lanes. I personally would like some of that traffic calming that COCS provided to residents of southgate neighborhood.

Stupe
S
Quote:

a complete super speedway
Username definitely checks out.
Stupe
S
Quote:

The county residents are likely not upset its only two lanes.
That does not make sense.
Are you saying that that county residents like sitting at a bottle necked stop sign?
EBrazosAg
AG
So do people on this board understand that EVERYONE pays county taxes? Both city residents and those who don't live in the city limits? If you live in a municipality, you pay municipality taxes and county taxes. If you don't live in a municipality, you pay county taxes. If I'm missing some sort of non-municipality adjustment please let me know - it's certainly possible that there is a difference and I'm not aware of it. Seems unlikely since municipality residents get to vote for county judge and commissioner, but I've been wrong before …..
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Stupe
S
Are you asking me if I understand that?

Or is that just a general question?
UmustBKidding
I am not sure what stop sign you are referring to. I suspect Sweetwater residents take greens prairie to Woodlake and join those residents to now Victoria, and never have to wait for more than a car or two to get through that one at least from those directions. The likely busiest stop sign is the one a Royder and even there only backup I ever see is turning traffic to the schools and it would not be resolved by the county changing anything. And I don't know what College Station was thinking putting a stop light at CastleGate, they are the ones that preach that Stop signs and traffic lights are horrible and the only solution are traffic circles.
I unfortunately have to traverse greens prairie often and there are far worse congestion on roads like Victoria, rock prairie, graham and dozens of others. To me the biggest issue on greens prairie is more ons that are in the right turn only lane that want to go straight where the road goes from 4 to 2 at the CS city limits.

[Be polite when giving your opinion on this board or next time we will remove your post. -Staff]
EBrazosAg
AG
General. Not for you. Clearly you do. It's just funny how the municipality residents trash the county commissioners actions (not saying it's not warranted) acting like they don't represent the residents of the municipalities….depending on the district they represent many to vast majority residents of the municipal entities in the county.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
UmustBKidding
No the issue is the county has hundreds of miles of roads and huge number of bridges that are far inferior to what they are responsible for on Greens Prairie. There funding pool is far smaller and the greatest need for those funds does not involve facilitating College Station residents who's city for years played games during their expansion from having to wait and additional 2 minutes at a stop sign.
oldag76
AG
The county judge is who stopped everything. He only believes in pay as you go and has stockpiled some $150mm++ in tax money waiting for a rainy day instead of taking advantage of the historically low interest rates to use 3% bond money and get stuff done.
He and Berry and now his hand picked guy Chuck Konderla ( long time local, big, well known family, basically a good guy)are the do nothings, except raise taxes.
Berry claimed the sky would fall if Aldrich and the former place 2 commish who held out didnt approve the increases. Its like she cant do the math to understand what a flat rate times the huge increases in appraisals and new growth would produce. Called Aldrich all kinds of names. Has yet to apologize publicly that none of her sky is falling stuff actually happened.
WE NEED ALDRICH, BROWN, AND A NEW COUNTY JUDGE ASAP.
You only need to look at the mess on I&GN that should have been done right after the Judge agreed to the road closures from Wellborn to I&GN.
Ron Burgundy
Stupe said:

Quote:

Have you driven that stretch? The speed limit is still 30 for construction, but people ignore it- many are going at least 50. Some are going close to 65-70. What will it be like when the actual 40mph signs are posted?
maroon barchetta
Ron Burgundy said:

Stupe said:

Quote:

Have you driven that stretch? The speed limit is still 30 for construction, but people ignore it- many are going at least 50. Some are going close to 65-70. What will it be like when the actual 40mph signs are posted?

And CoCS is patrolling that construction zone even when no work is being done (which is always), and writing tickets to people going over 30mph

Saw them lighting somebody up the other day when I was coming back from Walgreens
maroon barchetta
I&GN is mess there at Dymple/Straub and Straub/Stousland

They are going to straighten it out. That's going to be a problem. Those little S curves slow people down right now. Every kid in a lifted Brodozer that comes blasting down from Duck Haven will not have to slow down at all.

Get ready for some bad wrecks at Dymple and at that baseball training facility.

Also, the people I know in the area said imminent domain was used to get some of the land to straighten out that road (and maybe for the water line replacement project).

I hope that's not true. Judge Peters told me personally that he is a big believer in property owner's rights and didn't want to have to condemn the land at Greens Prairie where the new railroad crossing and road extension ended up, but UP forced it to be necessary.

This I&GN project doesn't have UP or someone else forcing his hand.
Passwordgone
The county judge kept saying there wasn't $$ to do the Greens Prairie project. Commissioner Aldrich kept on him and once the budget was not under the judge's thumb due to county growth two years ago, it was determined there was $$ to do so. In August of 2022, the county paid $4,500,000.00 and signed an interlocal agreement to have the county portion widened. It has been the City of College Station's project and will now be their responsibility.
Tailgate88
AG
Quote:

An interlocal agreement was approved at the September 8 College Station city council meeting where Brazos County will spend $4.2 million dollars to widen the section of Greens Prairie Road between two improved sections in the city.

The city's capital projects director, Jennifer Cain, said construction will not start for a couple of years.

While the design is mostly completed, Cain said they have to acquire land from 17 property owners and relocate utilities.

Cain also said the city will have to seek bids instead of adding the county's portion of the road to the city's prior widening contract.

After the road is widened, the road will be annexed into the city and be maintained by the city.

https://wtaw.com/college-station-city-council-approves-interlocal-agreement-with-brazos-county-to-widen-a-stretch-of-greens-prairie-road/

Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
Tailgate88 said:

Quote:

An interlocal agreement was approved at the September 8 College Station city council meeting where Brazos County will spend $4.2 million dollars to widen the section of Greens Prairie Road between two improved sections in the city.

The city's capital projects director, Jennifer Cain, said construction will not start for a couple of years.

While the design is mostly completed, Cain said they have to acquire land from 17 property owners and relocate utilities.

Cain also said the city will have to seek bids instead of adding the county's portion of the road to the city's prior widening contract.

After the road is widened, the road will be annexed into the city and be maintained by the city.

https://wtaw.com/college-station-city-council-approves-interlocal-agreement-with-brazos-county-to-widen-a-stretch-of-greens-prairie-road/

Going to be painful me thinks.
Tailgate88
AG
I've long wondered if all those homes along there would not get bought out and rezoned for commercial. There are some survey stakes in the front yards of some of them right now that make it look as if they will be losing a LOT of their front yards.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
Tailgate88 said:

I've long wondered if all those homes along there would not get bought out and rezoned for commercial. There are some survey stakes in the front yards of some of them right now that make it look as if they will be losing a LOT of their front yards.
Exactly - people are going to be losing a lot of their property and frontage road being right up in their front living rooms. Which IS going to impact the value of those homes, not just the part of their land being taken.

Needless to say - some hides will definitely be chapped.
KaneIsAble
AG
Karl just said on KBTX that you have to show up to vote and debate regarding his stance on the rate increase avoided by the last session. He clearly just admitted on live TV that he would've shown up and let the tax rates increase. I just don't agree as you use all levers available regardless if people agree or not. Aldrich 100%.
GSS
Sad for Bill Flores on new radio ads, to embellish and pervert Nancy Berry's tax policy positions.
Classic , no details, just, she's the best steward of your tax $$, voted to lower your taxes (when forced to...), re-elect her.
deh40
AG
maroon barchetta said:

I&GN is mess there at Dymple/Straub and Straub/Stousland

They are going to straighten it out. That's going to be a problem. Those little S curves slow people down right now. Every kid in a lifted Brodozer that comes blasting down from Duck Haven will not have to slow down at all.

Get ready for some bad wrecks at Dymple and at that baseball training facility.

Also, the people I know in the area said imminent domain was used to get some of the land to straighten out that road (and maybe for the water line replacement project).

I hope that's not true. Judge Peters told me personally that he is a big believer in property owner's rights and didn't want to have to condemn the land at Greens Prairie where the new railroad crossing and road extension ended up, but UP forced it to be necessary.

This I&GN project doesn't have UP or someone else forcing his hand.
Peters reason for not doing IG&N had nothing do with using or not using imminent domain! It was all about his normal "we don't have the money". According to the County Engineer the project was a priority for them, not only because of the unsafe curves but because the road was deteriorating. Fortunately when Peters was no longer the budget director the money appeared.
deh40
AG
KaneIsAble said:

Karl just said on KBTX that you have to show up to vote and debate regarding his stance on the rate increase avoided by the last session. He clearly just admitted on live TV that he would've shown up and let the tax rates increase. I just don't agree as you use all levers available regardless if people agree or not. Aldrich 100%.
Berry is a rubber stamp for Judge Peters. If any commissioner has a differing opinion on raising taxes or Peters pet projects, his "group" finds a candidate to run against them. Happened last round when they got Konderla into Ford's seat and this time they are pushing Nettles against Aldrich. Hence Nettles and Berry basically campaigning as a team. Peters' wife told a neighborhood gathering for Nettles that she would be going door to door to help get him elected.

EBrazosAg
AG
Bentley is way more liberal and big government than he would want anyone to know as a candidate. Just check his record as TABC leader. Then know his actions outside his official responsibilities confirm….I have seen plenty to know my vote would not go his way. I'm sure he thinks Mitt Romney is a great senator

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.